One More Night

Chapter Two

I stared up at the ceiling, blinking and chewing lightly on my bottom lip. What was I supposed to do? I was a grown man, head over heels for this girl that didn’t feel the same way back. I felt like I was in high school again. I looked over, staring at the empty space on the bed next to me. If there was anything I hated more than being rejected, it was the feeling of being lonely. I hated being lonely, it was my greatest fear. Maybe that was why I had always compensated with so many girls in bed. But it was completely different with Lyn.

Sighing, I slowly sat up and rubbed my forehead. I had the worst headache in the world right now, and I knew I was starting to stress myself out. I pulled my phone off the nightstand and looked at the time, seeing it was almost noon. I brought up my contact list and looked at Lyn’s name, debating on whether I should call or text her or not. I was only digging myself a grave, she had made that painfully obvious, but I just couldn’t stand the fact that she wouldn’t give me a chance.

I finally decided against making any contact with her, getting up and scratching the back of my head as I walked downstairs. Bella was sprawled out on the couch asleep, and the entire house was quiet. I hated it. I missed having someone around to mess around with, to hear moving around to assure me that I wasn’t alone.

I trudged into the kitchen and leaned against the counter, letting out a long, drawn-out yawn before turning on the coffee maker. It only took a good ten minutes to make a pot of coffee and I poured myself some in a mug, putting the creamer in it as well as a little sugar, stirring it well before I took a couple sips.

As I began to slowly wake up, the wheels in my head began to turn and I grinned as I thought up a plan to make Lyn feel the same way as I did for her. My mother had called me last week and asked me to dinner on Saturday. Maybe I could take Lyn and start up this plan with her. I already had an idea of how it was going to go in my head, but I couldn’t be sure.

First thing’s first: I needed to call her and ask her to come with me. I quickly finished my coffee and ventured upstairs to take a shower, get dressed and come back downstairs. I dialed her number, biting my lip anxiously as I waited for her to answer. And when she did, I couldn’t keep the grin off my face. “Lyn,” I said. “Could you do a favor for me?”

“Matt, I’m tired, I can’t do anymore favors—”

“Not that kind of favor,” I cut her off quickly, shaking my head. “A different kind.”

“Oh?” she murmured, and I could hear the confusion in her tone. “What kind of favor, then?”

“My parents invited me to dinner this weekend,” I started, biting my lip hard. “And I told them that I would be bringing someone with me and—”

“Matt, don’t start this again, please,” she begged.

“Wait, I’m not finished,” I said. “Please listen.” When there was silence on the other end, I continued. “All you have to do is come with me and pretend to be my girlfriend. That’s it. It’s not like we’re actually dating. Just pretending. For, like, three hours, and then I’ll take you home and it’ll be all over with.”

“I don’t know, Matt,” she muttered. “I’m not good with the relationship stuff.”

“I’m not either,” I quickly said. “Neither of us are. So? It’s okay. Just please, Lyn. Do this for me? My sister will be there, and she’ll have her fiancee there, and I’m sure half of my other family will be there, and I don’t want to be sitting there alone while everyone’s there with someone else.”

There was a long pause before she sighed and I grinned. “Fine,” she groaned. “But this doesn’t mean anything, okay?”

“Definitely,” I mumbled. “I’ll pick you up at six on Saturday.”

“What should I wear?” she asked.

I looked down and thought for a minute. “Wear that beautiful red dress you have.”

“The strapless one?”

“Yeah, that one.”

“Alright. I’ll see you on Saturday, I guess.”

“See you.” I hung up and grinned to myself, just wanting to jump up and cheer. It was only the beginning of it, but I had big plans for this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you guys so much for all the support!