Fall on Me

Introduce Yourself

"My name's Sam Miller. Welcome to Vermillion." The guy held out his hand.

I shook it briefly. "I'm Aribella. Thanks."

He smiled. He knew I was nervous.

He looked to the secretary. "I'll show her around now, Mrs. Riley."

I walked out of the office and let Sam lead the way. He had no problem starting conversation, I just had a problem keeping them going.

He was showing me the science hall when he said "Why do I get the feeling that you already don't like me?"

I sighed. "It's not that I don't like you. I just don't know you. And it's way too early. Back in New York, at my old school, class didn't start until 9 a.m."

"When did you get out?" He asked.

"3:15, same as here." I said.

"So you had a whole hour less than us. Lucky girl." He chuckled.

I smiled but didn't say anything else.

"Oh, I really like your shirt, by the way." He grinned.

I actually laughed this time. "Yeah. Yours is pretty cool too."

He opened his mouth to say something but was cut off by Josh Ramsay's voice. "Have a piece of American dream. Open up and swallow on your knees."

I laughed as Sam pulled his phone out of his pocket. "Nice Marianas Trench ringtone."

"You like Marianas Trench too?" He asked and turned his phone to silent.

"Trencher for life." I smiled.

Sam grabbed my hand and pulled me further down the hall. "Come on, I should probably get you to your first class."

I grinned.

"Wait is your first class, exactly?" Sam asked.

I handed him my schedule and he read it. "We have the exact same schedule. This is good, I don't have to worry about losing you throughout the day."

He pulled me towards the stairs and we walked up together. "Ready for English class?"

"No. I mean, yes. Well, I don't have a choice." I said.

"It'll be fine, I promise. You don't have any issues with public speaking, do you?" He asked.

"Not particularly. Why?" I got a little worried.

"Mrs. Watson will probably want you to introduce yourself to the class." He warned.

"Oh god." My stomach rolled.

"You'll be fine. Just be yourself." He smiled supportively.

"That's what I was worried about." I whispered and he opened the door, squeezed my hand once, and pushed me inside.

Everyone turned to look as and my face went red.

"Hello, there!" Mrs Watson smiled and I handed her my transfer slip.

"Students, this is Aribella Rose. She's a transfer student from New York City. Say hello."

The students muttered hi and I fidgeted with my long sleeves.

"Go on and introduce yourself." Mrs Watson nudged me towards the front of the room and Sam took his seat.

I looked at my classmates and took a deep breath.

"Well. My name's Aribella. As Mrs Watson said, I'm from New York. And uh, I don't really know what to say." I said, regaining some composure as Sam smiled encouragingly.

"Why don't you tell us about you? What are some of your hobbies?" Mrs Watson asked.

"Well, I do a lot of photography in my spare time. I like to sing even though I'm horrible at it. I used to be a cheerleader but I got injured so I can't do that anymore. And I really like playing drums." I said.

"Anything else?" She asked.

I bit my lip, not sure what to say.

"Does anyone have any questions?" Mrs Watson asked.

One preppy looking girl in the front raised her hand.

"Violet?" Mrs Watson called on her.

"Why are you dressed like that?" She asked and a few students laughed.

I looked at my outfit. "Because I like it. Why else would I wear it? I like color and edge, sue me. I don't particularly like your slut ensemble but I wasn't really going to say anything."

Her jaw dropped and she crossed her arms.

I wasn't lying. Her shorts were way too short, and her boobs were nearly falling out of her shirt. She looked like a walking billboard for teen pregnancy.

"Ms Rose!" Mrs Watson gasped. "I don't know what your old school was like but we do not talk like that here."

"Sorry. My old school didn't accept that either, but they also didn't accept blind judgement." I shrugged and took the empty seat next to Sam's.

He winked. "Way to make an impression."