The Misadventures of Makana Queja

The Attack of the Special Brownies.

The best simulation for getting high, without drug use, is to stay up hours past your bedtime until everything that anyone says is either hilarious or incredibly thought provoking. I had many wonderful conversations and memories thanks to the Reefer Madness, but the first time is still the most memorable.

It was at Ashley’s birthday breakfast. It was HSGQE week, and since all of us had already taken the tests and passed, we decided to celebrate Ashley’s birthday early and get some pancakes while we were at it. Now, the “we” that I speak of will consist of my pre-girlfriend, my homeboys Jack and Long, and a few other people whom are of no consequence since I did not interact with them beyond the “puff, puff, pass.”

We decided to meet at the iHop at 9:00am, so that we could all hang out for a few hours. We did not have to be in class until around noon, and we thought mischief would be far more entertaining than sleeping in.

The conversations that morning were bland. I stayed in my little clique with my two bros and kept our talk on a novel that we had all read.

“Look, dude,” I scooped some scrambled eggs from my plate, “Nicholas Flamel could have planned for Dee a little bit better than just hanging out in a bookshop for a few years.”

Long turned his body to face me. “Makana, I’m telling you, he had his eyes on the gold and silver twins since the beginning. It’s like he knew where he was supposed to go.”

Jack chuckled. “But then, he would not have had to go through all of the other gold and silver auras before he met Josh and Sophie. If he knew that they were the ‘Two that are one, the one that is all,’ he would be smart enough to come up with a much better plan.”

I nodded in agreement as I shoved the eggs into my mouth.

“Alright boys, play nice.” Ashley sat cross-armed across from us and smirked.

“Yes ma’am!” I raised my right arm above my eyebrow in mock salute and spoke with my mouth full.
Ashley found my air of disrespect somewhat enjoyable, I am sure. I was a tad of an ass at times, but apparently I am a loveable ass.

“We have other things to do,” Ashley bounced her head towards me, ”So finish eating.”

I grunted through another mouthful of eggs and shoved the rest into my mouth. After eating, we all piled up into Jack’s truck and Ashley’s van. I, of course, called shotgun way before Long could.
We already knew what was going to happen, it was discussed the day before what was going to be done. Fear gripped my heart. I felt like I was going to embarrass myself in front of Long, Jack and all of these girls. I had no idea how to roll a blunt. Now, I was hoping it would be instinctual, because I got kind of lazy and did not Youtube it before I could go and see how it happens.

So we pulled up to the Bicentennial Park, and Ashley pulled up along side me. Naturally, I rolled the window down.

“Do you wanna eat or smoke?” Ashley said.

“Come again?” I said.

She repeated the question.

I had no idea what that meant. But I liked eating. So I said, “Eat.”

She motioned me to come into the car. I quickly responded and entered the van. I decided to sit next to my pre-girlfriend, since she was kind of cute and the only one that I remotely knew in the van.

Ashley passed back a plate of brownies. I was not hungry at all, but I am definitely a weaker man when chocolate comes my way. It is just one of the things that I enjoy to indulge myself with.
Everyone took one. I took five. I ate all five brownies very quickly, and I pocketed two more for later. Now, the first brownie had an almost spicy taste to it. I thought nothing of it. My friends began to chuckle.

“What’s so funny?” I asked.

Ashley smiled at me. “You in two hours.”

In about half of that time, I was flying higher than a kite, and I only vaguely remember what had happened. I remember going back to school. Luckily, I was in a computer class where the teacher does not pay any attention to the students. I was on the Internet and looking up funny pictures. I never had so much fun on the Internet before that day.

After school was over, I went to Improvisational Comedy practice. I was in a team of five and all of them knew I was tripping balls. I cannot recall whether or not I told them or if my brain melted down to the degree where they noticed it by themselves.

I remember having to drive everyone home. I remember eating a ton of chicken, although I do not know where I got said poultry. When I woke up in the bed, my head hurt, I had no idea why this happened, and I still had those two brownies in my pocket.

Whenever I thought about marijuana use, I thought it would be fun. I had no idea that it would cost me 20 dollars (I lost a twenty dollar bill and had no idea where it went) or that I would have the driest mouth in the entire universe. All of the television shows influenced me to believe it to be fun all the time, and while I did have quite a bit of fun, I could not remember any of it. The media convinced me that marijuana use was great, and it was pretty legendary or so I am told. I just wish that I could remember what the hell happened.

Even though I have been clean for over a year, I still carry with me that feeling of community that I soon associated with marijuana and some Rastafarian ideals. Sylvia Scribner said, in her essay "Literacy in Three Metaphors" that describing this kind of literacy as a state of grace was unsatisfactory because of its religious undertones, however I feel like it made me part of who I am today. It was grace through weed, not through works lest any man should boast. It taught me to breathe easily and that even when life makes you feel like you are doing a heart transplant with a sledgehammer in your underpants, you can make it as long as you have some good friends, good bud, and a makeshift Pepsi can bong.