‹ Prequel: Best Woman
Status: hiatus. (So sorry, will find inspirtation soon!)

Best Expectation

four.

As Evan went into work that next, a huge grin on his face, he smiled at the receptionist, who nervously looked away – Poor Margie and he quickly jogged to the elevator before it closed. A hand stopped it from closing and as he stepped inside, he was surprised to see his boss.

“Good morning, Sir.” He said happily, not questioning why Jim Peters was at HQ so early and on a Monday too.

Jim Peters was a thin, straight-talking man, with the drive to win. He was a multi-millionaire and it was predicted that in five years or so he’ll be a billionaire. He was a manipulator of sorts, twisted words and got exactly what he wanted.

Evan was his Personal Assistant, arranged Jim Peter’s life and made sure everything went accordingly.

“Good morning Evan, got those reports for me?” Jim asked, his tone firm and demanding. Way ahead of him, Evan slipped the papers out of his leather bound file and handed it to him.

“Printed last night…” Evan said, and Jim smiled, pleased with his efficiency. Evan felt himself standing up straighter as the two men went up to the 22nd floor, Jim’s main office.

As Jim read over the reports, the doors dinged open and Evan waved for Jim to go first. Jim smiled, nodding at Evan.

“Good job, son – I want my coffee by ten…” Jim said, leading out and went in the opposite direction. Evan nodded, and entered into his office. He smiled at the new interns who looked nervous and sheepish at the same time.

“Stand straight, guys.” Evan whispered as he walked past and the two boys did, fidgeting awkwardly.
He finally got to his own desk, he logged in to his computer and made himself comfortable, taking his jacket and messenger bag off.

“Evan, I need David Gregory on the phone…” Linda Peters, Jim’s sister said. She popped her head in, a firm look on her face, but a kind smile on her lips.

Linda was nice – strict but nice – she was a bit hard to scope out, she’s been divorced twice and worked under her brother’s command. Evan nodded, and began typing the number, sighing as his day begun. His thoughts whirling around Annabelle and their baby.

He never got tired of thinking it.
--

Annabelle was in the bath, deciding not to do any work today – she had no clients until Wednesday and she felt too sick this morning to do anything productive. She propped her knees up and glanced at her stomach, a slight bump, hardly noticeable but when Annabelle placed her hand, she just felt like something was in there.

After another twenty minute soak, Annabelle got out and dried herself, putting on some soft sweatpants and one of Evan’s old t-shirts which smelled of his cologne. She quickly dried her hair, and shoved it up to a high messy pony tail and went into the kitchen, finally deciding to eat.

She made herself some cereal and fruit, sitting in the living room, with a random show on. She was chewing thoughtfully when the phone rang. She huffed, pausing the screen, getting into how the host was shouting at the guy, insisting the baby wasn’t his.

She grabbed the phone which was on the coffee table and swallowed quickly as she answered.

“Hello?” she chirped.

“Annie, it’s me.” Her brother’s voice came through. Annabelle tensed slightly and pressed the phone closer to her ear, putting her bowl on the coffee table and standing up.

“Leo…” she sighed, and her brother was breathing softly, obviously stuck on what to say.

“Can I come round? I need to speak with you.” Leo asked hopefully, sounding worried. Annabelle felt her stomach churn.

“Yeah course.” Annabelle murmured.

“See you in a bit.” And he hung up. Annabelle put the phone down, picking up her bowl and throwing away the last of the food, no longer hungry.

She checked her own phone and noticed she had a text from Evan, it was only 11am.

How you feeling? <3

Annabelle smiled at his message, he had been lovely this morning, stroking her back as she threw up her guts.

She quickly typed back: Much better, decided to just chill today – How’s work? Miss you<3
Annabelle wandered around the apartment nervously as she awaited Leo’s arrival. Finally, twenty minutes after his call, the buzzer went off.

“It’s me.” Leo said, and Annabelle immediately opened the door for him. She went to the front door and unlocked the chain ready. She counted the seconds before the knock came at her door. Leo didn’t normally knock.

She swung the door open and her brother looked at her, startled. “Hey Annie…” he greeted, and smiled nervously. Annabelle gave him a confused look.

“Come in then.” She said, and motioned him in, closing the door behind him. He shrugged his coat off, and hung it on the bannister.

She watched him go into the living room, and watched as Leo sat on the love seat, fidgeting with his hands.

“You okay, hon?” Annabelle asked worriedly, and sat beside him, tucking her legs under her. Leo sighed and looked at her.

“I’m so sorry I was such a jerk about…all of this.” He said, waving his hands around, blurting out his confession. Annabelle’s eyes watched him carefully, and smiled reassuringly.

“I wasn’t really mad Leo – just…” she started but Leo interrupted.

“But I was still a jerk and I owe you an apology, I should have come to the scan, I should have been there – I’m so sorry.” Leo insisted and Annabelle shrugged, and leaned over, patting his knee gently.

“You’re forgiven, bro.” she told him, and Leo smiled softly.

“I can’t even explain it – but I just felt off – like one minute I see you as my annoying six year old sister who was begging me to take her to the park and the next I see you as this…grown up…twenty-four year old woman, who’s having a baby.” Leo explained and Annabelle smiled at the memories of annoying her brother.

“Hey! I can still annoy you, if you want….” Annabelle teased and Leo smirked.

“You’ve never stopped.” He joked, and Annabelle giggled, slapping his arm softly. “Jerk.” She mumbled jokingly.

“Are we okay? Because Faye will kick my ass if I don’t make sure…” he said, laughing and Annabelle grinned brightly.

“We never weren’t Leo, we’re totally fine…but you better not bail on me next time okay? I want you at the next scan.” Annabelle said, pretending to be firm. Leo grinned at her, his blue eyes twinkling at her.

“Wouldn’t miss it…” he promised. Annabelle clapped her hands lightly.

“Want to see the sonogram?” she asked excitedly, and Leo’s eyes brightened and nodded, Annabelle quickly got up and hurried into the kitchen, where the picture was placed on with magnets. The letter magnets that she had brought from her old family home, the word BABY spelled out on top.

She went back to the living room, diving on the couch beside her brother and shoved the pictures in his face. Leo laughed, pushing her off, and taking the pictures of her, looking over them in awe, stroking the clearest one carefully.

“It’s really there.” He murmured and Annabelle grinned proudly.

“Leo?” she said, and Leo looked to his sister, noticing how grown up she was again, a stab to his heart of quickly life was going.

“Hmm?” he replied.

“You’re going to be an Uncle.” Annabelle told him happily and Leo didn’t reply, but the smile, the full bright smile told her, he was happy too.
--

“Evan!” Jim barked, and Evan looked startled to see his boss in the room.

“Yes sir?” Evan asked, trying to hide his nerves. Jim was a scary man when he wanted.

“My office, now.” Jim demanded, and Evan got up, taking a deep breath and reminding himself to get a grip. He followed Jim into the oversized office that Jim didn’t really need and sat down in front of the desk.

Jim laced his fingers together and suddenly smiled: “Gotcha didn’t I?” he joked, and Evan immediately relaxed and chuckled nervously.

“Um…” he asked, and Jim quickly interrupted.

“Evan, as you know we’re starting a new project with Jameson and I need a project leader to make sure nobody screws up. That man is you Evan…” Jim told him, and Evan’s mouth dropped.

“What?” he stammered.

“I’m giving you a promotion, my boy – you’ve proved yourself these last years and I think your perfect for the job.” Jim told him and Evan grinned.

“Really?” he beamed and Jim smirked. “I’ll take you want the job?” he joked, and Evan jumped up and shook Jim’s hand excessively.

“Yes please, sir….oh thanks so much!” Evan babbled, not caring what an idiot he was acting. Jim grinned and peeled his hand away.

“Don’t get too excited, it’s hard work – I need you fully committed, can you give me that?” Jim asked firmly and Evan, without thinking, nodded.

“I won’t let you down sir.” Evan said and Jim grinned. “Great! Now I can introduce you to your very own assistant –” he said, leaning and pressing the intercom on his desk.

“Linda, send Laura in will you?” he called, and Evan looked to the doorway ready, and as it opened, a beautiful woman walked in.

Tall, leggy and a short blonde bob: “Pleasure to meet you, Mr Woodson – I’m Laura Ellington.” She introduced and Evan had to peel his eyes off her tanned legged, revealed in the black skin-tight pencil skirt.

“Please…call me Evan.” He said, shaking hands with her. Laura flashed a smile and Evan felt nervous suddenly.

Jim grinned at the two off them: “Perfect, now get out, you youth are killing me.” Jim joked, and Evan got up, thanking him once more and opened the door with Laura.

“Ladies first…” and Laura grinned appreciatively, swaying her hips as she walked out and Evan noticed. By god, he noticed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Long chapter for being a fail lately...

I'm worried about this, whatcha guys think?<3