So Long, Soldier

So Much For My Happy Ending

Katelyn’s Pov.

When we got home, we put the Mcflurries in the freezer and I headed upstairs with Harley to unpack while mom was left to talk to the mysterious guy. I wasn’t really sure on what to think of him since I didn’t know anything about him and I don’t think’ I’ll ever know.

“Who do you think he is, if mom isn’t dating him?” Harley asked. “I don’t know maybe he’s just a friend?” I said. “But dad say everything was gonna change, like everything in our world is gonna change and we might not like it” We hung up our clothes in the closet and started to put some clothes in the dresser when we heard mom calling us.

“Katelyn, Harley, will you come down here please?” my mom called out, We finished putting our clothes away as best as we could and down the stairs where mom was waiting. She had a serious look on her face and I knew something was up. She normally isn’t like this and the last time she was was when we had to move to Maryland.

“Girls, I’m about to show you something that you don’t know about me but once I do, you have to listen to what I.. we say” she said as she looked at me. “We?” I questioned as we followed her to the living room. The mystery guy with black hair was standing in front of the tv with two other guys, One had long red hair with black glasses that framed his face very well, he was dressed in a band shirt and black jeans while the other one was dressed the same but had long green hair without glasses.

As I looked over at the three men, my heart was beating so fast it felt like it was about to jump out of my chest. Who were these three and why did I felt like I knew them. I looked over at Harley who had the expression on her face that I felt.

“Boys” my mom said as al three of them grabbed their hair and took it off. My eyes widen as I saw them threw their hair on the floor as I realized they were wigs. When I looked up I thought my eyes were about to pop out of my head and my ears were going to explode from Harley and I screaming from who they were.

Alex’s Pov.

I was laying in my bedroom with the blinds drawn shut when there was a knock on the door. I grabbed the remote and turned the volume up louder hoping whoever it was would leave me alone and go away. The door swung open as the music shut off and the curtains were opened.

I sheiled my eyes from the blinded light and pulled the blanket over my head. The sound of glass bottles were heard as they were being kicked and whispering continued as the three people who were here talked. Finally someone had decided the chance to speak up.

“What the hell Alex? What do you think you’re doing?” Rian asked as the blanket was pulled off of me. “What do you think?“ I asked sarcastically. “Alex, you haven’t been out of your bedroom for a month, Katelyn came back yesterday. She’s actually been calling us and so has their mom. They’re worried because we haven’t made a stop over yet or even called”

“Who care, she can go look for another set of guys to play with” I said as I got punched in the face, I sat up and saw an angry looking Jack looking at me. “You don’t ever talk bad about Katelyn!She’s been nothing but nice since we met her!” he yelled. “Now go get some fucking clothes on and let’s go!” I got up, walked over to my closet, grabbed some clothes and headed to the bathroom.

I stripped out of my clothes, got in the shower and did all the things I needed to do. I got out, threw on my clothes and followed the guys out of the room. They looked at me and thoughts of Tom ran through my head. I wish I would have kept my mouth shut. It’s my fault he’s dead. All my fault, if I wouldn’t have said it maybe he would be still be here I thought as I looked up at the guys again.

“Okay, are you ready to go?” Rian asked as I let out a sigh. “Where are we going?” I asked, “To practice, now let’s go” sad Jack as we went downstairs, out the door and headed to his place. We went down to the basement where’ our equipment was set up and got in our places.

Jack’s pov.

“I can’t believe you fucking blame her for all of this bullshit!” I spat. “She’s the one been fucking with Tom and I if she wouldn’t have played with Tom’s heart then he would have fucking been here!” Alex yelled. “Don’t be blaming her! You knew how bad Tom’s depression was. It wasn’t her fault!” I snapped as Rian tapped out the beats to Circles and we started to play.

I felt really bad for Katelyn for how Alex was treating her. She’s just wanted to see us and give us our presents that she had gotten us. She had left me a voicemail message last night that she had gotten back and her return home wasn’t that great after a big surprise her mom planted on her I wanted to know what it was but she said I wouldn’t believe her if she had told me.

We ran through three or four songs about five times when we all decided to call it a night on the account of everyone was exhausted and we didn’t have any thing else to practice on. We were all headed out the garage when I saw Mrs. Gaskarth walking out of the house with a glass container. I watched as Alex stopped to talk to her. She had must of said something to Alex because he was shaking his head before she continued to walk down the street. I quickly followed her and finally caught up to her at the end of the block.

“Mrs. Gaskarth, where are you going with that? Do you need some help?” I asked as let out a sigh. “I’m going over to see Katelyn and her family since Alex won’t. I know her and Tom had something going on and she needs to know about him” she said as I nodded. “Alex, won’t go because he blames Katelyn” I said as she shook her head.

“She’s not to blame for this, she did absolutely nothing to you boys. I had talked to her before she left. All she wanted was friends but she did ask me about Tom and he had said a few things to me but she don’t deserve the treatment she’s getting” Isobel said as I nodded. “Let me take that” I said as she smiled. “Thank you Jack, I’m glad Alex has friends like you, Rian and Zack” she said as we walked down the side walk.

Katelyn’s Pov.
“Mom, why are the Goo Goo Dolls here? In Maryland? In our house?” I said as I looked over at her wide eyed. “Well, Katelyn, there’s a good explanation for that” she smiled as I looked at her. “Mom, Why are they here? Not that I don’t love you guys here” I said as I turned to them. “No problem” said Robby as I looked at them as they looked the same as in my cd booklet.

“Katelyn, the thing is, he is your real father” she said as she pointed to the group. “Um, excuse me? Who?” I asked as I felt someone’s hands on my shoulder. I looked up to see John looking down at me. “ Hello Katelyn” he smirked as I looked over at my mom. “What the fuck! Mom! He’s my Dad?!?!” I shouted as Harley hid in the corner. “What’s the matter with you? You knew all along and didn’t tell me?! Especially since… ugh!” I yelled as I ran up the stairs.

“ I can’t fucking believe you made my step dad pretend he was my real dad” I cried and ran up to my room. How could she do that? She lied to me my whole life. I love my step dad and now I found out about my real dad and he’s a famous rock star who I always thought he was hot!

She should have told me! No wonder dad or I mean my step dad didn’t like the Goo Goo Dolls cause the singer was.. Is my dad and my mom was with him before she met my step dad! Did mom leave him or did he leave her and why aren’t they married or where they ever married? I groaned as I sat in my computer chair and pulled up my songs on Microsoft word and. I took a deep breath, let it out and let my mind do the talking.

I don’t know what time it was when I was pulled out of my thoughts from the sound of laughter downstairs but I now had about six new songs typed out. The sky was now pitch black and the stars and moon were shining brightly tonight then they ever did. I quickly saved my writing and headed downstairs to where everyone was at.

“Hey Katelyn, said Robby as I smiled at him while I walked into the living room. “We’ve tried to call you down here for dinner, what were you doing up there?” John asked as he looked over the back of the couch., “Writing. What’s for dinner?” I asked as everyone was watching TV. “There’s left over homemade pizza in the fridge “ he said as I walked to the kitchen.

I heard shuffling behind me and I figured it was just Harley. I grabbed a slice of pizza off the plate in the fridge and turned around to realize who it was. “Geez” I yelled and jumped as soon as I seen John. “Scare me why don’t cha?” I said sarcastically. I rooled my eyes as I walked over, grabbed a plate from the cupboard and stuck the piece of pizza on it.

“Katelyn, I think we need to talk” he said as I shook my hed and put the plate in the microwave. “Stubborn ain’t she?” mom said as she walked into the kitchen. “Yeah” John muttered. “I wonder where she gets it from” mom said as she filled her glass with water from the sink.

“I wonder where she gets her sarcasm at” John said as the sound of the door bell was heard. Mom walked out of the kitchen and I heard her open the door. I didn’t know who was at the door but I had a bad feeling about this visitor. I walked towards the door and saw Isobel and Jack standing in the doorway.

“Isobel? Jack? What are you two doing here?” I asked as mom looked at me with tears in her eyes. “Do you mind if Katelyn and I go for a walk for a few minutes?” Jack asked. “Sure go ahead my mom said as I went to put my shoes on. “ I’ll be back in about ten minutes mom” said Jack as she smiled. “Take the time you need too dear. I’ll be here” said Isobel as Jack nodded. I grabbed my coat and followed him out.

“How have you been?” Jack asked as we walked towards the sidewalk. I’ve been okay. Just been dealing with stuff” I said as I stuck my hands in my pockets. “Oh, was it what you said on the phone a week ago?” Jack asked as I nodded. “Yeah” I replied. “How long you’ve been home?” he asked as I looked up from the side walk.

“Just a few hours, wanted to come home yesterday but dad had some family talk that needed to get done and I needed to finish getting your guys presents together” I said as he smiled. “Where are they?” he asked with hyperness in his voice. “Up in my room, you’ll get them when we get back. Why did you and Isobel show up here? Did you miss me that bad?” I laughed.

“How close were you and Tom?” Jack asked as I looked at him. “Were?” I asked as I looked at him confused. “Jack what do you mean were?” “Just answer me. Please” “He was my boyfriend , why?” I asked as I saw Jack had a frown on his face. “Katelyn, Katie, he…”Jack trailed off as I stopped and looked up at him. “What did Tom do Jack?” I asked. “He passed away Katelyn” said Jack as I felt my world shatter. “Wait! What? How? Why? You’re Lying! Tom isn’t gone!” I yelled as he cupped my face. “Katelyn, He’s gone. He passed away in his sleep” said Jack as I pushed him away from me. You’re Lying!” I yelled as a neighbor’s light went on as we ran away from the house.

“ Katelyn he did” said Jack as he pulled some things out of his pocket and handed them to me. This is the newspaper and the card from the funeral” said Jack as he handed them to me. I took them greatfully but after that the whole walk back was silent. I didn’t say one word or even let Jack see my face.

Jack’s Pov.

On the walk back to Katelyn’s place, she kept her hood up the entire time. She wouldn’t even look at me and not a word was spoken. I felt so bad for her and I didn’t know what to say since I never had this sort of thing happen to me. I felt bad for Alex too, both of them including Alex’s dad. Tom wasn’t Isobel’s son but she treated him like her own son.

When we got back to Katelyn’s place, three guys sat in the living room with their back to the couch so I couldn’t see who they were. They sat next to Katelyn’s mom and Isobel as they tried to get Isobel to calm down. I watched trying to figure out who they were. One of them stood up, walked over to Katelyn’s mom and wrapped his arm around her shoulders but her mom pulled his arm off her and hugged Isobel.

A tug of my shirt pulled me from my thoughts as Katelyn pointed towards the stairs. We headed up the stairs and headed into her room past a door that had a sign colored with a red marker with diamonds saying Harley’s room. I walked past a blank door that was cracked open and realized that was Katelyn’s mom’s room. Katelyn walked to the end of the hallway and into her room that had the door opened a crack.

She pushed it open and band posters were all over her walls from Spice Girls, Avril Lavigne to the Goo Goo Dolls. I didn’t think she would be into Avril Lavigne or even the Goo Goo Dolls at all. I thought she was more a pop band kind of girl but I guess I was wrong. I watched as she walked to her closet and pulled a box wrapped up in gift wrapping. She walked back over to where I was not bothering to look up and handed me the box.

“Here, this is what I got you guys. It’s not much but I didn’t have much money at the time” said Katelyn as she handed me the gift box. “Thanks” I said as she nodded. “Well I’m going to bed, it was nice seeing you Jack” said Katelyn gloomily as I looked at her. “You too Katie” I said as I wrapped my arms around her. She gave me a soft push back and looked up at me and I knew she was too upset for any contact. It hurt that someone would deny me for any hugs but I don’t blame her. I looked at her and my eyes caught her and saw a glimmer of something that I couldn’t put a finger on it.

“Good night Jack” she said as she walked over to the door. “Good night Katie” I said as I headed out the door. Once I did, she slammed it behind me. I snapped my eyes shut from the loudness echoing off the walls and headed down the hallway. Heading down the stairs I met Isobel in foyer with Katelyn’s mom looking just as upset as I saw them.

“I’m guessing she didn’t take the news well, did she?” Isobel asked as I shook my head. “Just give her sometime Jack, she’ll come around” Katelyn’s mom said as I nodded. “Hopefully” I muttered as Isobel looked at me. I shook my head before saying my goodbye to Katelyn’s mom before heading out the door with Isobel.

“How did she take the news Jack?” Isobel asked. “Not well” “I’m just hoping she’s not like Alex” I muttered before heading down the sidewalk to take Isobel back.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Sorry i've been behind posting this update. I've been sick and still am but I've been trying to see what happened myself before I wrote out. Katelyn is feeling really bad right about now. What do you think will happen?

Again this story I don't own nothing but the plot, Katelyn and any other original characters. I have no contact with the Goo Goo Dolls, All Time Low or any famous people nor do I own them,

I've been lacking comments and starting to lose interest on posting this story on the account of I'm not sure if anyone is actually reading it. It'd be nice to get 2-4 COMMMENTS and I might get the motivation to continue to write this story.