So Long, Soldier

Epilogue

Epilogue

Ashley rode his motorcycle through the city as fast as he could in search of Katelyn. He was just about to give up hope when he seen someone standing on the edge of the bridge down the road. He rode up to the bridge where she was and jumped off of it.

He ran over and grabbed her arm causing her to gasp. She looked over and saw a worried expression etched onto his face. She was staring into his brown eyes do the longest time like she was searching for something before she spoke up.

"Ashley what at you doing here?" Katelyn asked. "Trying to save my best friend from killing herself" he shouted through the whipping wind. "Why? There's no need! I'm used. No one wants me!" katelyn shouted as tears cascaded down.

" I want you in my life" Ashley said as she glanced down at the river below. " No! You're going to leave me like Dad and Tom!?I might be pregnant with someone else's baby. I'm just used and a waste of skin! You'll just leave!" She yelled as she shook from the cold and sobs that wracked her body.

"No Cheyanne! You're always going to be my best friend. I would never leave you!" Shouted Ashley. " Please don't leave me Cheyanne!" He cried. " Baby girl, come down. I don't want you to fall. I need you in my life! We'll work through everything and get through it! He shouted.

Katelyn carefully climbed back over the rail as Ashley pulled her into a hug. " Don't ever scare me like that again Cheyanne" said Ashley as he gave her a sweet living kiss. " Let's go back baby girl, everyone will be freaking out" he said as a car door slammed.

They both pulled away and looked up to see Katelyn's parents, John and Mackenzie walking over to them with tears in the eyes. "Cheyanne!" John yelled as Katelyn ran towards him yelling. " Daddy!"

They embraced each other in a hug before Mackenzie waked over and joined the family hug. " Let's all go home and warm up now. You must be freezing Cheyeanne" said Mackenzie. " Yes, let's go home" Sao Katelyn as she got on the back of Ashley's motorcycle and Ashley took of with John and Mackenzie driving behind them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was finally what the Rzezniks and Carter's have been dreading since that terrible day when a soldier came to their house and told them the news about the beloved father, friend, Husband. You think the rather large extended family would be depressed to fly to Washington D.C. But they really weren't.

They couldn't be even more prouder to go talk to the works and celebrate the life that Sergeant John Michael had gave them. There would be times were they had their weak points but they always continued on.

Katelyn who now goes by Cheyanne after he step father's wishes to change it back, had graduated early and have been flinging herself into every class subject that she loved and wanted to explore.

She's been taking photography, graphic design, creative writing, fashion science and web designing. She couldn't wait til she graduates from the classes so she could do everything that she loved to do and she didn't let her round tummy slow her down.

Cheyanne was seven months pregnant and couldn't be happier. The family was just thrilled to be welcoming a newest addition to the family. Even Ashley was excited for Abigail or as the nick name that the family called her. Abbie.

Ashley has been surprising the family more and more as he's taken on the responsibility of the father figure of Abigail. He and Cheyanne both now are living in a four bedroom house in Los Angeles, California. They even went and converted the very large basement into a studio as well as have a small room in the basement for a storage room that they could also use as a storm room.

Ashley has been taking classes as a graphic design artist and a class in the fashion industry that he had recentl graduated from and is designing clothing from his roots in Missouri and his life in California.

As for the boys of All Time Low, Cheyanne and Ashley haven't seen them since she graduated but Riley does call every now and then. She is he god mother of Abigail Ashley Rose Purdy as what Cheyanne had picked out with Ashley but he didn't know that Cheyanne had added Ashley as part of Abbie's name.

The paragraph that Sergeant John Michael had wrote I'd now in a frame in the audio of her and Ashley's home but the original copy of it was locked in their safe with the other stuff her step father had given to her. Cheyanne had used her musical talent and turned it into a song but she felt like there was something missing to it She was going to sing it at the conference after weeks of begging from her family and they were excited to hear it.

As for Cheyanne and Ashley you may ask; things were going perfectly smooth. Ashley had planned something big for Cheyanne that night at the conference.

Ashley's Pov.

It was four in the afternoon. Cheyanne's family and I were getting ready for the conference. I was staring into the mirror when Cheyanne's dad John came up behind me and patted my shoulder.

" Are you ready for tonight?" John asked. "Ready for everything" I said as he patted my back as I adjusted my tie and ran my fingers through my hair. "Maybe next time I talk to you it'll the big talk" " I hope so, you've been so good to my daughter than anyone has and I wouldn't mind having you for a son in law" he said as I walked out, walked next door and knock on Cheyanne's door.

The door slowly opened and I walked in to see Cheyanne putting in her earrings. "You look gorgeous Chey" I said S she bit her bottom lip. "Say it" I laughed as she shook her head. " hey what's wrong?" I asked as I saw the frown on her face. I put my finger her her chin and lifted it to make her look at me.

" Ido t want things to go bad between us. I don't wanna say something and you end up leaving me" she said as I wiped her years away. "Listen, I wouldn't leave you ever but if it meant saving your life I would, I don't want nothing to ever happen to you.. I love you Cheyanne, no matter hat happens. I'll always love you" I said as I pulled her closer and kissed her softly.

"I love you too Ashley" she said as I wrapped my arms around her. There was a sharp knock on the door. I walked over and answered it as John stepped inside. " Are you two ready to go?" John asked. "Ready daddy" said Cheyanne as she walked out of the bathroom. My attention was caught on something glittering off of her when I noticed it was the star and her cross necklaces. "We'll let's go" said John as we headed out.

Once we got there, we ate dinner and an hour and a half goes by. A soldier walks up on stage and stood on front of the podium. It seemed like every soldier was up on stage talking about both happy and sad memories.

" I'm now gonna hand the microphone to command Sergeant Luke Skywalker Johnson" the sided laughed with everyone else . " Let the force be with you" he said as Sergeant Luke Johnson shook his head and laughed.

"If anyone knows Sergeant John Michael the best, it would have to be his step daughter Cheyanne Rzeznik. From the moment I met John all he could talk about was little Cheyanne. Even when he was going through his divorce and she wasn't his, he would still talk about her. He was so proactive of her no matter what she did. Cheyanne has turned a short message that was found in sergeant John Michael's pocket the day he died into a song. She also wants to sing a dog that's been helping her get through this tough time in her life. Everyone Cheyanne Rzeznik!" He shouted as he pointed at her.

I watched as she got up and walked up to the stage. It was like she was moving in slow motion. She was so graceful and looking gorgeous as ever, I jut couldn't look away from her.

"Hello" she spoke into the microphone. " as you know, on the day he was killed, -" she trailed off as she looked down and rubber her eyes. I stood up and ran up on stage ad rubbed her back. "It's okay, take your time" I whispered as she looked up.

" Ashley Purdy ladies and gentleman" she said as people started clapping. " the day my step father died, a mrssage was found in his pocket. I've been going through it and found some sort of piece with it. He fought for this country, for our family and for every citizen in this world and I couldn't be prouder" she said as I reached whined the curtain and pulled out her acoustic guitar.

" This song was written by me and my step father. I share my rights on this dog with Ashley Purdy because if it wasn't for him and his crazy antics, I would be with my step father right now" she laughed.

" this is called In The End" she said as I started strumming .

" In the end
As you fade into the night" she sang as I sang the melody. "Oh whoa oh oh"

" Who will tell the story of your life" she sang as I did my little guitar solo before Cheyanne started back up.

"In the end, as my soul's laid to rest
What is left of my body?
Or am I just a shell?
And I have fought
And with flesh and blood I commanded an army.
Through it all I have given my home for a moment of glory" she sang as I saw Tera fall. "I gave it my all" I sang.

"In the end
As you fade into the night (oh whoa oh oh)
Who will tell the story of your life (oh whoa oh oh)
And who will remember your last goodbye (oh whoa oh oh)
Cause it's the end and I'm not afraid
I'm not afraid to die" she sang as her voice trailed off while she looked at me and smiled hike everyone clapped.

"This nex song has helped my get through my step father's death just as much as my best friend Ashley has" she said as she looked at me when I walked up and kissed her cheek. " this is called Slipped Away by Avril Lavigne" she said as I started playing again.

"Na na, na na na, na na
I miss you, miss you so bad
I don't forget you, oh it's so sad
I hope you can hear me
I remember it clearly

The day you slipped away
Was the day I found it won't be the same
Oh

Na na na na na na na

I didn't get around to kiss you
Goodbye on the hand
I wish that I could see you again
I know that I can't

Oh
I hope you can hear me cause I remember it clearly

The day you slipped away
Was the day I found it won't be the same
Oh

I had my wake up
Won't you wake up
I keep asking why
And I can't take it
It wasn't fake
It happened, you passed by

Now you are gone, now you are gone
There you go, there you go
Somewhere I can't bring you back
Now you are gone, now you are gone
There you go, there you go,
Somewhere you're not coming back

The day you slipped away
Was the day I found it won't be the same no..
The day you slipped away
Was the day that I found it won't be the same oh...

Na na, na na na, na na
I miss you" she sang as everyone stood up and clapped.

" I have sow thing I think everyone should know. I know my family knows" she laughed as he out her hand on the swollen stomach. "If m step dad was here, he. Would e happy and would want to tell you all. He may or may not know but by sheer accident At a Halloween party. I was intoxicated by an old friend of mine from keep giving me alcohol just to have hi way with me but my best friend Ashley has stepped up to take responsibility of my friend actions after he didn't want nothing to do with his baby"

" Her name is Abigail Ashley Rose Purdy" said Cheyanne as everyone clapped as I looked at Cheyanne and smiled. " I also have an announcement" I said as I took the microphone. I got down on one knee and pulled out maroon colored velvet box out of my pocket.

She gasped as I looked up at her and opened it showing a black promise ring with pink diamonds. "Cheyanne Katelyn Iris Moira Angela Carter Rzenik" I said trying to fit both names in one breath. Will you be my girlfriend!" I asked as she pulled me up by my tie and wrapped her arms around me. "Yes!" She shouted as everyone stood back up and clapped.

That story will be my favorite forever cause that's how I fell in love with my best friend.