Salem Falls

Prologue

Salem Falls was once filled with mages, who practiced their magic freely and with much skill. The people of the town were accepting and many of the town’s members even went to the mages for help. The two groups lived in harmony together and the town was prosperous.

In 1692, things began to change. The Salem Witch Trials began just two towns over, in the place Salem Falls’ ancestors had their roots. Those accused of performing magic were burned, drowned, and crushed by stones. People rioted in their fear.

The mages of Salem Falls began to worry about the court officials passing through their town, so they went into hiding.

Amongst their people, the mages decided to make it forbidden to practice magic openly, and everyone was forced to confine their powers to their homes. The mages still met in secret, forming an underground coven known as the Lunar Circle.

With nature on their side, the Lunar Circle was able to prosper, with many young mages being born. The coven continued to grow, until the eldest members no longer remembered a time when magic was practiced in the open.

The Lunar Circle kept the same beliefs as their ancestors: magic was only to be used for good, all laws of nature were never to be broken, and non-mages were always to be treated as equals. These beliefs were what held the coven together.

One family of the Lunar Circle held a very different set of ideals. This family believed that those who didn’t possess the same gifts as them were lesser beings and unworthy of their presence.

This family was charming, powerful, and well-liked amongst the members of the coven, so when they began stating their unusual beliefs, they gained many followers.

The Lunar Circle’s leaders, a kind and good-hearted couple, gave their best attempt at confining these beliefs before they grew too large, but anyone who has read a history book knows that once something sets fire, it is hard to put out the flames.

In a few weeks, the Lunar Circle had split, with neither of the two groups coming to an agreement.

A new coven formed, taking the name of the Sixth Circle. This new coven held to the highest regard the belief that nature need not be obeyed. Caring not the consequences, they sacrificed animals, turned against nature, and performed very dark magic, all in secret.

The Sixth Circle was powerful, but not powerful enough to take on the world, or the Lunar Circle.

The two covens kept each other in check. The Lunar Circle vowed to make sure the dark coven was never too prosperous, while the Sixth Circle made sure the coven of the light was never powerful enough to stop them.

After many generations, the people of Salem Falls no longer knew of the magic that had been kept secret in the town for so long. The people knew not of the magic happening right beneath their noses. They carried on with their days as if there was nothing mysterious going on.

The Lunar Circle continued their hatred for the Sixth Circle, while the dark coven did the same.

As time went on, the Sixth Circle’s beliefs became weaker. They still practiced their dark magic, didn’t care for humans, and hated the Lunar Circle, but they no longer wanted to take over the world. The members of the Sixth Circle carried on with their spells and ceremonies, extremely content with the magic they were performing.

But one member did not believe the same as the others. He believed in the old ways of the dark coven. He believed that humans needed to be sacrificed to obtain, stronger, darker magic. He believed, and he believed in it strongly.

This is where our story begins.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello guys(: Katie here!
I hope you enjoyed the little introduction to our story!
Can you imagine the boys practicing magic? Yum.