Salem Falls

Niall & Siren

The woods were very dark. It was the kind of dark that night cannot create, the kind of dark that creeps into nightmares and scares the light away, because it’s thick and heavy, pressing into all corners of the area around it. The trees leaned away from it, they shied from the darkness forming deep in their midst.

The only light, was a fire. But it was not a red fire- it was the darkest shade of purple that exist, flicking and licking hungrily in malevolence. The trees feared the kind of darkness residing in that fire, as a girl sat in front of it, her eyes closed and her face turned upwards, the purple light falling on her pale face.

Palms turned upwards, sparks were flying long Siren’s fingertips, as Latin words of dark meaning and magic fell from her lips faster than ear would be able to understand. Her voice was dark, the language sounding crude with the evil words and the danger that was held in them.

Opening her eyes in a single motion, the flame’s leapt, a shadow leaping up in it, stretching dark and terrifying as it stretched, as if waking up from a long sleep. Siren was quiet as she watched it twisting and cruel in shape.

The girl could almost fill the fear shaking in the trees as they groaned in protest. They always pulled away from her when she did this, feeling the presence that did not belong, feeling the unholy wrath that was pulled into their world.

Turning, the shadow opened two eyes glowing the darkest green, the very pit of envy and hatred. Siren did not qualm at the dark evil in front of her. She simply raised a rabbit froze in fear and raised her athame, sharp and dangerous in her hand.

Bringing the athame across the rabbits throat, she watched the crimson stream drip into the fire, the creature kicking slightly before bleeding out with the help of a few words to quicken the process. The figure in the fire sighed in delight, a sound sickening to the woods.

Who dares call up Azazel?, the voice hissed, his voice so black that the trees around the fire withered and turned black, the leaves falling to piles of ash, falling to the ground.

“You don’t need to know my name,” she answered in a very cool voice. She smiled at the shadow that watched her. She knew that one should never give their name to a demon, lest they get angry with you. It also makes it far easier for them to possess you, and that’s not what she wanted. “That’s not important.”

Ah, you again. I should have known. Witches are the only beings smart enough to withhold names. There was a sound of almost amusement and it sounded as if he were impressed with her. It was the closest a demon would ever come to being impressed with someone in the human world. What is it you’re disturbing me for this time? If it were in my power, I would destroy you from the amount of times you have called on me. I am not a pet.

“You’re right,” she agreed, reaching in her pocket. She pulled out heirlooms she had dug up from graves, things buried with people. Demons loved nothing more than possessing human objects that had been very precious. They held a lot of power, and gave demons foot holds in the human world. “That’s why I brought you these.”

Carefully, she set them in the flames, hearing him chuckle in delight as he collected the items. She raised a brow, listening as his chuckle rumbled like the pits of hell from whence he came. “Happy?”

Hardly. What is it that you require? You are in good favor with me, so I shall do the task, if it is in my power.

“Humans are being killed here,” she explained, setting her hands on her crossed legs. “And I’m unaware of who, and it seems that there are threats to Lunar Circle. I want your protection on a single member.”

Since when do you care for the affairs of Lunar Circle?

Siren’s lip twitched. She didn’t. She cared that it was Niall. She knew he would not approve of her calling up one of the princes of Hell and asking his armies to protect his house, but it was all that she could do without anyone knowing. She didn’t like the idea that someone was killing humans. That usually meant dark magic. “I don’t. But this one in particular is mine, understand?”

He chuckled but did not disagree. Do you have a possession?

Siren fished around in her small bag, pulling out a single shoe lace. She had taken it one day when he was practicing magic, which he sometimes took his shoes off to do, and replaced it with another. She knew that it was powerful enough for Azazel to put the required protection on the house, but too weak to harm Niall in anyway.

Azazel took it from her in his shadowy grasp, the shoe lace lighting deathly orange and incinerating in his grasp. He made a few noises that made Siren’s skin crawl, and she tried to control her facial expressions, not wanting him to know that she was secretly terrified of him.

I will send my own to protect his house from any dark magic, he amended finally, his form beginning to dissipate. The smell of his leaving was acrid, his presence killing the ground around him. But be aware that they will harm anything malevolent and dark that tries to breach the boundaries. Including yourself.

Siren nodded once and watched as the flame died down to nothing. Darkness surrounded her, but it was not thick like it was before. She found herself city in total darkness, the silence enveloping her. All she could think about was what she had just done.

For the past few days, a darkness had been growing in her mind. she felt like something was wrong, that something bad was going to happen. And unrest was brewing somewhere in the distance, and it bothered her that Niall could be caught in that cross-fire.

Innocent, kind Niall who had somehow done what no one else in the world had; gotten her to feel something. She wasn’t sure what it was, but she knew that it was something she never felt before, something kind and that made her feel warm and giddy. She had tried many times to swallow the feeling hole, but it never worked.

Niall Horan, through their small meetings and there conversations and getting to no one another, had broken through that dark shell that Siren hid in. And she wasn’t sure how she felt about it. So she went ahead and protected his house by the only way that she could, but she also knew that it would keep her away from his house.

Sighing, she stood up, picking up her thinks. She muttered a quick cleansing spell, casting away the remnants of the demons arrival. With a final flourish, she left the woods, the trees leaning away from her, whispering as the wind went through them, speaking of the unspeakable things she brought into their midst. They hated her. She knew they did.

Often Siren wondered if they only permit her to enter the forest because they knew who she was. They knew that her true name was Amelia, because they loved her mother so much. After all, it was trees and plants her mother had abandoned her for. Fucking plants.

Siren head into town, parking her car in a random car on the main street of town, where all the shops were. There was also a park where people like to walk at night, all of lights lit up every night, twinkling in the trees. Siren didn’t bother herself with walking among them, but Niall had asked her to meet him there.

Though she felt that it was dangerous to wander around in public with him, she knew that none of her coven members would be walking around the park. And even if they were, she knew several cloaking charms.

Walking along the side walk towards the shop, a familiar face caught her eye. She watched as the beautiful girl Evelyn sat on a bench with a boy, throwing her head back and laughing at something that he said. A smirk twitched onto Siren’s lip as she glided towards the pair.

Ever since she had seen Evelyn, she was not fond of her. Not only was she a part of Lunar Circle, but it seemed Niall was absolutely fond of the girl in a way that Siren just did not understand. They were best friends, which was obvious, and that bothered Siren very, very much.

“Lovely night,” Siren commented as she approached the couple, causing them both to turn around. Alarm leapt into Evelyn’s eyes when she spotted Siren. The darker girl smirked at Evelyn’s tense posture. “Good to see you, Evelyn. I see you have a friend.”

The boy had feathery brown hair and dark blue eyes. He was very handsome and he was very human, which made Siren want to burst into laughter. She knew that Evelyn wasn’t very strong in magic, but being with a human was a new step. “I’ve never seen you either.”

Siren cocked her head at his attitude. It was clear that he was one of those ill-tempered ones. “Siren Chevaux,” she said lightly, putting on her friendliest smile. Though she knew Evelyn saw through it, it seemed like Louis was unaware of just how horrid Siren could be as he shook her hand. “I’m one of Ev and Niall’s friends. New to town?”

“Yeah. Louis Tomlinson.”

“Louis? That’s French. Etes vous francais?” the French flowed fluidly from her mouth, along with a handful of charm. The entire time Evelyn glared at her, practically shaking with rage. “I’m French as well.”

“That’s so interesting,” Evelyn interrupted, her tone dripping with sarcasm. She turned to Louis. “Would you mind getting me a drink? My throat is feeling really dry.”

He shrugged, standing. “Sure.”

The pair of girls watched as he walked away, both of their eyes fixated on him, Siren because she was bemused at the boy, and Evelyn because she was worried Siren was going to shoot him with lightning or something of the sort. When he was far enough away, Siren chuckled. “You know, I have a cat? He’s absolutely fantastic and lovable. The best pet in the world.”

“What’s your point?”

Evelyn looked at Siren and Siren leveled her with a look. “I didn’t fall in love with my pet.”

“What? I don’t love him! And he’s not a pet!”

“Huh. It’d be a real shame if that pet ran away from home one day.”

Evelyn’s eyes lit with fire, and Siren was silently impressed with the glare that she mustered up, her eyes like daggers and her voice like razors. “Is that a threat? Touch him and you’re going to wish that you didn’t.”

Siren laughed, loud enough to draw attention to the two. When her laughing fit calmed down she had to take a deep breath, shaking her head so that her waves fell around her face. “You’re like a bible salesman, Evelyn. Preaching with no success.” Siren waved her off, walking away towards where she was supposed to meet Niall. “Don’t worry, Green Peace. I don’t have the time to bother your little worlds-apart love. Not that it matter, if he ever finds out what you are, he’s going to run away anyways.”

There was no reply as she continued walking. It took her several minutes to find him, but Siren finally found Niall leaning against the tree. He was dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt, a color she wasn’t used to see him in. She had to admit, seeing him standing in the shadows of the trees dressed in dark colors was one of the most breath taking images.

Niall didn’t see her at first, so she was able to watch him. The thought of teasing Evelyn was erased instantly as she neared him, that warm feeling taking over the closer she got. It was like nearing a well lit fire, feeling the warmth the closer you got to it’s light and heat.

“You look rather comfortable with that tree,” Siren said softly, crossing her arms and giving him a coy smile. He looked up at her, his blue eyes glittering with the reflections of the tiny lights in the trees. “You in a relationship with it?”

He chuckled heartily, walking towards her smoothly. He had long abandoned the slow approach. He was now comfortable enough with her that he could waltz up to her like they had known each other for years. And she let him. “Let’s just say that mother earth is fond of me.”

“Ugh,” she groaned. They started to walk down the path with one another, and she was increasingly aware of how close their hands were. She could feel the nearness of his. “Say mother earth one more time and I’m going to ask her to emancipate you.”

He laughed, genuinely amused by her comment. She smiled, loving that she made him laugh. He had a wonderful laugh. “You sure are something, you know that?”

Taking her by surprise, he reached for her hand, pulling her down one of the paths. She followed, brows raised as she stared at their linked fingers. Her entire hand felt hot, and it wasn’t because she was about to set him on fire, which was weird. “Look whose talking, tree hugger.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Noelle again, with the longest chapter ever.
I know you guys probably have heard, but Katie is in the hospital with an infection. It would mean a lot if you guys kept her in your prayers and sent her some get well messages! She's really amazing and we all hope that she comes home safe and sound soon!!
Hope you liked the chapter!