Status: The road to stardom is paved with a thousand classes.

Adlewood Academy

Ava Chapman

Wrapping her towel around her body, Ava made her way to the women’s communal showers, ready to relax after a long day of classes. There was nothing she wanted more than to feel the hot water washing over her while the steam billowed around her.

After her absolutely failed attempt at auditioning for a Finals Showcase duet with Harry, she felt humiliated. She knew, deep down, that she wasn’t going to get the duet, and she definitely wouldn’t have auditioned had her instructor not forced her to, but she didn’t think she was going to embarrassed herself that bad.

She hoped that maybe, for once, she could get up and sing in front of just two measly people, but she should have known better than to trust in her performance ability.

Taking a deep breath, Ava hopped into the shower and immediately felt the rush of the water crashing over. With every drop that hit her body, a little bit more stress disappeared. She shut her eyes and opened her mouth, singing the song she had attempted to sing at the audition. She felt so much better singing in the shower, and it was like this magical moment that she didn’t want to forget.

Before Ava could get passed the first few verses, she heard the sound of the shower door opening and immediately zipped her lips, hoping that no one had heard her. Footsteps slowly approached the shower area and Ava was disappointed that her alone time had been interrupted, because it rarely happened when she took showers late at night.

“Who’s in there?” A voice asked from directly on the other side of the shower curtain. Ava nearly leapt into the air, her whole body shaking in shock. Just the fact that a voice was talking to her was strange in and of itself, but the fact that this voice belonged to a boy who was in the women’s shower area just made the moment all the more weird.

Ava honestly didn’t know whether or not to speak, because she was simply terrified. She didn’t know who the guy was or what he had planned, and she felt her eyes growing wider by the second.

She heard the person take a deep breath before speaking again. “It’s Harry. Harry Styles. I just wanted to talk.”

Ava’s eyebrows furrowed, while her lips pursed in confusion. What on earth was he doing in the women’s shower area and why did he want to talk to her?

“Listen, I just heard you singing, and well, you’re really good,” he said, pausing for a brief moment. “I heard you the other day and I spent all morning looking for you. I just want to talk.”

Ava took a deep breath, deciding what move to make next. She couldn’t speak because her throat was too tight from just the thought of him hearing her, let alone the thought of him thinking she was good. She didn’t think anyone thought she was good. Her class grades were proof of that.

After a pause that was a little too long, Ava stuck her hand outside the curtain, nearly hitting Harry with it. “Can you hand me my towel?”

She didn’t have time to think anymore, because he’d already placed the cotton fabric into her hand. She took it and wrapped it around herself before stepping out of the shower.

She hardly had time to realize that she was standing in front of Harry half naked, and when she did, her cheeks blushed. His eyes gave one quick look over her body before he shook his head, meeting his eyes back up with hers.

“Ava?” he asked, tilting his head to one side. She nodded and he gave a small laugh. “I must admit, you were the last person I expected to see walk out.”

Well, that wasn’t much of a confidence booster. She cleared her throat, looking down at the ground.
“Thanks, I guess.”

She knew that she looked absolutely ridiculous and bashful, but she couldn’t help it. That was just the way she felt most times, especially when it was in reference to her music.

“It’s a good thing,” he said, looking at her with a smile. “It just means everyone will be more surprised when they see us working together.”

Ava smiled for a moment before grasping what he said. A look of realization washed over her face and she tilted her head to the side.

“Wait, working together?”

Harry nodded, a huge smirk falling to his face. “We’ll be the best duet that Adlewood has ever seen.”