Status: The road to stardom is paved with a thousand classes.

Adlewood Academy

Jocelyn Turner

Jazz the following day was … awkward, to say the least. She couldn’t even bear to look at Liam throughout the entire class and she fumbled even more than usual, if that was possible. She felt stiff and weird and she knew he was watching her with a heated glare and it didn’t help in the slightest. Her knee still slightly ached and her head was killing her from lack of sleep and she just knew the day was going to drag. She wanted to burrow in her bed and not wake up until after the weekend was over. And maybe not even then. The more she screwed up, the more she realized that Adlewood just might not be the place for her after all.

But, Jocelyn was resilient and she went to practice on her own again after classes back in the old wing. She didn’t know why – Liam certainly wasn’t going to go looking for her after their huge blowout the night before but she felt better going back there than she did the room they danced together in. She didn’t need to be remembering the way it felt to have his hands on her or how his muscles rippled when he lifted her. No, now she definitely couldn’t remember that.

Little did she know that Liam actually did go searching for her. He could see her head wasn’t in it in class and she was more tense than usual. He felt bad for blowing up at her but he never could reel in his temper when he didn’t understand something and someone was being stubborn. He had also been upset – not with her – but with himself because he knew he shouldn’t be attracted to a student. She was irresistible to him, though, and he couldn’t stop it. So, when she stood him up he took it personally and had, possibly, gone a little bit overboard when he finally found her. He was hurt, too. And he didn’t like feeling vulnerable or powerless to a young student.

He loved the way she moved when she thought she was alone. She was more graceful and elegant than any other student he had ever watched. She would go so unbelievably far if she could get past her stage fright and he knew that he could help her with that if she would only let him. But, he knew that she had to come to him on her own. She had to realize she needed him and that was what mattered most. She had to want it. It didn’t matter how much he wanted to dance with her again, feel her in his arms. She had to be open to it and until then she would continue to mess up around others.

◊◊◊


Jocelyn made her way back to her room, tired and sore. Her knee hurt more than she had let on originally so she couldn’t wait to prop it up and ice it. Lana was laying around, reading a magazine, and popped her head up at the sound of the door opening. She gave her roommate a big grin but let it falter when she saw the look on her face. She put the magazine on her nightstand and sat up on her bed, cross-legged. She waited patiently while Jocelyn dropped her bag and shed her dance clothes, jumping into sleepwear and mimicked her friend’s position but on her own bed.

“Was it as bad as you thought it would be?” Lana asked, referring to jazz class.

“Worse. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I wish I didn’t need … I don’t know.”

“Jocelyn, I hate to say it but maybe you could use some help.”

“I can’t just go to him now. Not after we fought. Not after …”

“Rumor has it that the date with Vivienne wasn’t anything special. I heard some of the girls talking about how Vivienne kind of forced him into it, you know?”

“You think that’s true, though? I mean, Vivienne is …”

“Harsh, egotistical, superficial … so not the girl a guy like Liam would go for. I bet if you went to him and asked him for help he would help you again.”

“I don’t know. It wasn’t just the jealousy, but I feel things with him. Things I definitely shouldn’t feel for an instructor.”

Lana shrugged and lay back down. “I’m just saying that I think you could use his help. Maybe in more way than one.” She teased, winking over at her friend which earned her a pillow in the face in return.

Jocelyn took what her friend said and went to find Liam first thing that following Monday morning. She stopped at his office, knowing his first class wasn’t until later and knocked hesitantly on his door. She was incredibly nervous, her palms sweating and her heart racing just like it had been when she met with him to practice that first night. She was considering just walking away when the door opened up to a very surprised Liam. It was obvious she was the last person he had been expecting that morning and she couldn’t really blame him.

“Miss Turner … What are you doing here?” He asked, clearing his throat. Unbeknownst to her, he was just as nervous as she was.

“Um, could I come in for a second?”

“Of course.” He opened the door wider for her and motioned for her to have a seat. His office was actually a lot neater than she had thought it would be with very few personal touches save for some pictures that appeared to be him with family or with fellow dancers. “What can I do for you?”

She took a few steadying breaths and wiped her hands on her tight, dark jeans. “I wanted to apologize for yelling at you the other night. I behaved very badly.”

Liam knew she was probably just concerned about her grade, but a part of him warmed at the thought of her calling a truce between them. He had never planned to let the slight altercation affect her grade in the first place, but it was great to hear an apology. “I did, too. I think we both lost our tempers a bit that night. I’m sorry as well.”

“I was wondering – hoping, really – that, um, you would still … that we could still … I-I was hoping we could practice together again? I need y-your help.”

Liam felt his heart flutter. Here was his chance to help her again, dance with her again. “Of course. Absolutely we can. I’m glad you’ve decided to let me help you. I really think it will make a difference.”

“Me, too. I mean, I hope it does. I know it will. Thank you.” She quickly stood up and turned to leave.

Liam stood as she left his office, waiting until she shut the door behind her. “Anytime, Jocelyn.” He said, under his breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh no, anyone else think grinding on Liam alone is a bad idea?
No. No one does. Because dancing with Liam would be heavenly, yes?
Lucky Jocelyn.

Comments are amazing!
Thanks for reading!
xoxo, Erin