Status: The road to stardom is paved with a thousand classes.

Adlewood Academy

Jocelyn Turner

It was obvious that the showcase was nearing due to the thick tension in every classroom, the stress in every student’s face, and the fact that practice rooms were booked solid every single night. It had made Liam scratch his head over how to practice with Jocelyn until he remembered catching her in the old wing. They had made that room their new ‘spot’ and it actually turned out for the better. On top of the ambiance being amazing, what with the view and the old charm of the room itself, hardly anyone ever went into the old wing so they were never interrupted mid-dance. Or, mid-make out.

As things grew more serious between the instructor and his student, it seemed as though her confidence level would rise and not just with her dancing. She spoke louder and more sure of herself, walked taller, smiled more. And, with dancing, it was like she was a whole new person. Fewer mistakes and it would actually look like she was having fun for once. All of her instructors could see it and asked her what her secret was but she couldn’t tell them. Many suspected it was a boy but only Lana was clued in on the truth as to what was really going on. It was hard to keep quiet about, though. Jocelyn couldn’t wait until the year was over and they could actually be together. The waiting was the worst part but it was finally almost over and she had a big surprise for him with her showcase performance.

That night things were different. She knew it the moment she rounded the corner in the hall to the room that they had gotten accustom to. The lights weren’t on very bright – or at all from what she could see – and the music playing wasn’t something instrumental or that you would choose to do a routine to but something soft and melodic and there was a sweet voice singing. Taking steps closer to the room she saw that it had been completely decked out in candles – all over the ground and on the few sparse surfaces. They reflected off the large windows and flickered in the mirror all around Liam who was standing perfectly still in the middle of the room with a smile on his face.

“How did you …”

“No fire alarms in the old wing.” He answered, holding out his arms for her. She eagerly walked into them and embraced him back, her head resting right on his chest to hear his steady heartbeat. “Are you ready to work on the routine we’ve been practicing?”

“Actually … I have a surprise for you.”

“Oh really? Well, I have one for you, too. But, you go first.”

“I’ve been working on something that I want to show you.” She pulled out a CD and waved it at him. “I’m a bit nervous, though, so don’t judge too harshly.”

“I promise.” He agreed, kissing her cheek and going to sit down against the mirrors as she got ready.

Jocelyn turned on a beat, mixed by one of the music students she had tracked down named Zayn that was known for his mixes and beats. He had combined a lot of different styles of music for her song – everything from hip hop to classical to pop to Spanish and even Oriental and Egyptian. Just like her mix, her dance brought in so many different styles in a way that flowed amazingly well to be something so beyond unique and original it was the most difficult thing she had ever danced.

And she had danced complex ballets since she was young.

The dance blew Liam’s mind. He had danced even longer than her and in varying styles and he had never seen anything like it. He was having trouble forming coherent thoughts just wondering how she could have done all of this on her own and he had had no idea. She had to have been researching all different forms of dance without telling him. Practicing without him knowing. He had no clue, but he had remembered her staying after their meetings sometimes. It was crazy. It was beautiful. It was perfect and a million times better than what he had choreographed. It was remarkable that she could do this and dance it as well as she did.

It was nearly flawless.

When she finished she was out of breath and nearly collapsed. Luckily he had gotten to his feet before the song even ended and wrapped her up in a sweaty hug. “Joce … that was … I can’t believe you did all of that.”

“I wanted to surprise you.”

“You did. You’re going to blow them away at the showcase. I have no doubts you will be the winner.”

“You’re just biased.”

“Maybe I am but that doesn’t change a thing. I’ve danced for some amazing choreographers and I have never seen anything like that. You have a real gift, love.”

“I have a great teacher.”

“I think I’m done teaching …” He suggested, leaning down to kiss her passionately. “No more dancing … let’s just be together right now.”

“Wait, you had a surprise for me …”

He grinned and squeezed her waist. “I got a job at a dance company … at the end of the year I will no longer be a teacher here. You won’t be my student anymore and we can be together. For real.”

She didn’t respond with words. But with a kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading!
xoxo, Erin