Status: The road to stardom is paved with a thousand classes.

Adlewood Academy

Jocelyn Turner

Jocelyn felt like all the work she had done with Liam on her stage fright was completely down the drain when the day for the final showcase came up. She had made a lot of progress, even her other teachers talked about how confidently she was dancing now. Her confidence, combined with her ability to execute anything perfectly, had made her unstoppable. She had even been happier and put more emotion into her dancing. But that morning it seemed like none of that had happened at all and she was back where she started.

“Are you going to get dressed?” Lana made her jump off her bed and look up from where she was glaring at the offending leotard. “Or are you just going to stare at it?”

“Suddenly everything seems wrong. My outfit, my routine, my music choice … I’m terrified. I’m going to screw this up.”

“You are not. I’ve seen you dance and I don’t know if it’s the private lessons or the guy giving them but you are amazing. I don’t even have to know your routine to know that you are going to rock it. Give yourself some credit. And get dressed or you’re going to miss your showcase altogether.”

Jocelyn looked at the time and scrambled out of bed. She only had forty minutes to get dressed and do her hair and makeup before she had to be down in the main auditorium where they were holding all the showcases from the students. Her outfit, which would transform along with her showcase performance, was easy enough to get on and her natural-looking makeup was easy to do. She put her hair up in an elegant braided bun and was done with it before essentially running to the auditorium. She wasn’t expecting Liam to be around knowing he had a meeting with the people at his new job at the dance company, but she really wished he would be there. He would ease her worries at least a little.

She spotted Niall just as he was coming off stage and he gave her a big hug. “Break a leg, Jocie!” He said, cheerfully before heading to go clean himself up. Turning back to watch a girl from her modern dance class she spotted Liam.

“Oh my God – what are you doing here?” She looked around to see if anyone was watching before pulling him into a quick hug.

“Well, I figured I should support my girlfriend. This is a big deal, after all.” He pulled her back in despite her trying to push him away. He just laughed and rubbed her sides. “What can they do to me? I’ve already quit.”

“Shouldn’t you be at your meeting?”

“They understood I had somewhere to be. You look lovely. I know you’ll be amazing.”

“I know it’s selfish, but I had really wanted you to be here.”

“There’s nowhere else I’d rather be.”

As she waited with her hand linked in his, she felt her nerves dissipated ever so slightly as she waited through three more people until her name was called. Liam gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and sent her off onto stage. She noted their confused faces as she took the stage in slightly baggy pants and a leotard since she was listed under ‘ballet’ but she just smiled at them and let them know she was ready. What happened next was a shock to everyone, and not just those that knew her. Her routine started out to a nineties hip hop song, her moves matching the tempo and feel but it quickly evolved into something else shortly after – a modern alternative song to show off her modern dance moves. The mash-up turned slower as the time ticked by and went from alternative to something slow and romantic, Jocelyn shedding herself of the baggy pants to display her perfect ballet technique as the finale to her showcase.

She hadn’t messed up, tripped or missed a step once. When she curtsied, she beamed at the judges and ran off stage directly to Liam whom she jumped on, wrapping her legs around his waist. “I can’t believe I did it.” She said, sweaty and breathless but positively glowing.

“I knew you could do it.” He replied, giving her a kiss. “Now come on … I can finally take you on a proper date and we are going to celebrate the most brilliant performance I’ve ever seen.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry I took so long to update!!!
Finally at the showcase! I wonder how Jocelyn scored??

Thanks for reading!
xoxo, Erin