Status: The road to stardom is paved with a thousand classes.

Adlewood Academy

Mia Lockwood

Mia was shaking as she and Zayn walked onto the stage, half expecting to hear a gasp from the crowd at the sight of the two of them together. Instead, a silence simply washed over the crowd, and Mia walked to the head of the stage, her knees knocking together as she reached the front of it. Zayn walked over to his small turn table to her right, looking as confident as ever as he placed his headphones over his ears.

The lights dimmed, so the only two were one shining on Mia and another shining on Zayn, and Mia closed her eyes, while she thumbed her fingers once over the strings of her guitar.

She began singing with a simple note that would catch no one of guard, and followed it with a few chords of her guitar. She played the song just as they had practiced, and at just the right moment, Zayn worked his magic, taking Mia’s guitar and turning it into a masterpiece.

Mia opened her eyes long enough to gauge the judge’s reactions, which were practically unreadable, before closing her eyes again.

The song was over in just moments, but it felt like a lifetime, and when she hit that last note she could barely breathe. She walked off stage, shaking the entire way, and met Zayn when they were behind the curtain.

“You were amazing,” Zayn said quickly, smiling down at Mia as he took her guitar from her and placed it safely back in its case.

“That felt good,” Mia breathed out, chuckling a bit as she tucked her hair behind her ears. “Do you think we’ll win?”

Zayn shrugged his shoulders. “Does it really matter? You were amazing, Mia. The best I’ve ever seen. I’m talking record label good, and I’m serious. I don’t think Taylor Swift could have performed that song better.”

Mia chuckled as she shook her head. “We finished the song, Zayn, and I already forgave you for playing my song at lunch. You can quit trying so hard to fluff my feathers.”

Zayn laughed at her, before wrapping his arms around her shoulders and pulling her in for a hug, which dug her head straight into his chest. He smelled like spicy cologne and marshmallows – an odd combination but one that Mia realized she loved.

“Can’t you just let me have my moment?” He joked, his chin landing against the top of her head as he pulled her tighter. “You’re ruining it, ya Negative Nancy.”

Mia thought about making fun of him, but having his arms around her felt so magic and she didn’t want to do anything that would risk him pulling away. He’d be doing it eventually, and she didn’t want to hurry the process along, especially since she knew she’d be a mess of nerves as soon as she wasn’t so focused on his body touching hers.