Status: The road to stardom is paved with a thousand classes.

Adlewood Academy

Ava Chapman

Ava was sure she wasn’t going to make it through the day without throwing up, and that definitely didn’t get any better when she laid eyes on Harry backstage, looking all cleaned up in a suit and tie. He approached her with a smile on his face, running his hands through his hair.

“You look beautiful, Ava,” Harry said, smiling as he admired her black dress and red high heels. She had spent hours curling her hair to get it just right, because focusing on her hair was a hell of a lot easier than worrying about the showcase.

“Thank you,” she said softly, blush creeping up to her cheeks. “You look very handsome yourself.”
Harry chuckled at that, his smile so wide Ava thought his dimples might explode. “How are you feeling?”

“Nervous,” Ava admitted, running her sweaty palms against the sides of her dress. “You?”

“We’re gonna do great, Ava,” Harry said, ignoring her question. “I trust you, so you need to trust me when I say that you have no reason to worry.”

“But what if –”

“Don’t think about it, Ava.” Harry shook his head, grabbing onto her hands. “It’s just you and me, okay? Just you and me singing our song.”

Ava nodded, taking a deep breath though she wasn’t sure. They called her and Harry’s names over the intercom, announcing them to the stage, and Ava was sure she wouldn’t have made it out there if Harry hadn’t been holding onto her hand.

His fingers wrapped around hers and guided her to the front of the stage. She expected him to drop her hand when they reached the microphone, but he held on tight, squeezing her hand gently. She looked over at him, and he was smiling at her. His voice a whispered a soft “trust me” before he turned to the crowd and sang the first note, making a few girls in the audience swoon.

Ava kept her eyes closed tightly, focused only on the feeling of Harry’s hand against hers, until it was her turn to ding. The words fell from her lips easily, and Harry held onto her for every last second of it.

The song continued on, with both of them singing as if it was their last breath, until they hit the final note.

People in the crowd were cheering, and Ava was shaking so badly she could barely breathe. She opened her eyes and Harry was smiling at her, his eyes twinkling under the spotlight. Ava smiled back at him and let out a small laugh before the two of them walked off the stage and behind the curtain again.

Ava’s heart was racing so quickly she could feel it throughout her entire body, and the adrenaline was pumping through every inch of her. She could hardly contain herself and she just wanted to scream, but instead she jumped on Harry, who quickly wrapped his arms around her waist, spinning her in the air.

“You were amazing, Ava,” Harry whispered into her ear, squeezing her more tightly and refusing to drop her back to the ground. “I knew you could do it.”