A Kiss So Fatal Death Shuddered

Chapter Two

“Ginger!” Danny called, bouncing into the room. “Your party man slash super sexy date is here to rock your world. Hey! You should dress like that more often.”

“I hate you Kyrian,” Ginger groaned.

“Why? You’ll fit right in.”

“Fit in to what?” Danny and Kyrian laughed.

“See, if I told you that, I’d have to kill you.” Ginger stared at Danny, trying to figure out if he was serious or not.

“So you’ll kill me once we get there?”

“I guess I hadn’t thought of that part of it. Don’t worry, I won’t let anyone hurt you.” Too late,

Ginger thought. “Are we ready to go?”

“You kiddies have fun,” Kyrian said. “And, Danny, don’t bring her back too late. We have to go somewhere in the morning.”

“Fine, let’s go.”

He grabbed her hand and led her to his car.

“Danny…” He let go of her hand with an apologetic smile. His eyes betrayed his happiness that he finally got Ginger to go on a date with him.

“I’m sorry. I guess I’m a little nervous. You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to go on a date with you,” Danny said, smiling apologetically again. He started the car and put it in gear.

They drove in an awkward silence for a while. Ginger knew it was useless to try and get any information out of Danny so she didn’t even try. Danny was singing something under breath so softly she could only make out a few words, something about dancing and chemicals.

“Ginger…”

“Yes Danny.” He was concentrated on the road ahead, too concentrated considering he had an attention span of a goldfish.

“I’m not feeling too confident about myself right now so I was wondering…” She waited patiently for her companion to go on but it seems he was stuck at that part of the sentence.

“You were wondering…”She prompted.

“I was wondering if you would consider being friends if this whole date thing doesn’t work out. I think you’re beautiful and want to be with you intimately but I understand if I can’t, just don’t lock me out of your life.” The car was stopped and he was looking intently at her. “You don’t have to answer that, stupid question. We’re here by the way.”

“Where’s here, exactly?” For the first time since Ginger got in the car Danny smiled.

“Here,” He said simply.

They got out of the car and walked to the entrance of an old warehouse. A man a little more muscular than Kyrian stood at the door. A line of people stretched back.

“Stevens, you’re late,” He said in a rough voice.

“I was picking up this gorgeous lady here so I have an excuse,” Danny replied.

He guided Ginger past the man and into a room full of sweaty bodies. Lights flashed overhead and people danced to the pounding techno music.

“What is this place?” She asked over the loud music.

“A club.” He called back. “Follow me, I’ll show you the rest of the band.”

Ginger was about to ask why he hadn’t told her he was in a band before but she was cut off as a bodacious lady pressed herself against Danny.

“Hey good-looking,” She said in what was an attempt at a seductive voice but only made her sound slutty. “Want to come to my house after The Audition performs? I want to show you what a real performance looks like?”

“Tempting, it really is, but my heart belongs to someone else. If only they were as eager as you to please,” he replied, putting an arm around Ginger and holding her close. “I’m sorry.”
The girl walked away with a frown at Ginger who looked down at her significantly flatter chest.

“Why’d you turn her down? I thought tits were all guys thought about.” Danny looked at her in shock.

“What on this great green polluted earth are you talking about?” He said.

“Well look at me then look at her. She’s so much prettier than I am not to mention actually interested in you. She would crawl into bed with you without any second thought!”

“That’s exactly why I turned her down. She’s so superficial.” He turned so he was facing her. Ginger looked at her shoes but Danny lifted her chin with one finger, forcing her to look at him. “I’m completely serious when I say that you’re the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen because you’re true to yourself. You know what you believe in and it leaks out in the form of confidence.”

He took her hand again and led her towards a wall. This time she rather liked the way his hand felt against hers, the way electricity sparked from their palms, the way he gently rubbed the back of her hand with his palm.

A man not unlike that of the man standing at the entrance was standing at a closed door. He moved aside when Danny approached and motioned them through. The hallway behind the door had a greenish tint from the lighting. Instantly Ginger’s muscles relaxed.

“This is the green room,” her companion explained. “It’s for the musicians before they perform. The green is supposed to be relaxing.”

“Stevens, there you are!” A man with brown hair came running out of a door. “Kiss your girlfriend good bye and get on stage. We were supposed to be playing five minutes ago.”

“Shut up, Ryan,” Danny replied, rubbing his temples. “This is Ginger, she’s not my girlfriend thought not from lack of trying. I have to go, babe, Dylan will wait back here with you.” Then he left.

“Hi, I’m Dylan.” Dylan was a tall, skinny man with short, blonde hair. His smile was a friendly one. “I’ll show you where you can see the show. Danny wrote a song for you.”

“I’m Ginger and I had no idea that he was in a band.” Dylan laughed.

“So you’re the infamous Ginger. Danny keeps going on and on about how amazing you are. Glad you finally gave him a chance. He’s a really good guy.”

“People keep telling me that.”

He guided her down the hall and into a room. A door was opened on one side and noise was filtering in from outside.

“How’s everyone doing tonight?” Ginger heard Danny say, his voice resounding throughout the room by an amplification system. “This first song we’re about to do is dedicated to a girl I hope to make my girlfriend. You know the type. You make so many advances on them but they constantly ignore you even though they’re secretly in love with you.” She rolled her eyes as she heard this. “This song is called Dance Halls Turn to Ghost Towns.

“Who is it tonight, Doctor Jekyll or Mr. Hyde?

The bookshelf spins,
When I pull the Websters from the third row,
Second from the right,
And this is where the chemicals grow,
This is where reactions flow,
The dictionary chemical cookbook that was meant to hook you into me

Would you please take off your lab coat?
Kiss me as we roll through every chemical
Would you please put on your dance shoes?
‘Cause I’m sick of dancin’ alone

Who is it tonight, Doctor Jekyll or Mr. Hyde?

Two hints lust, then I mix some charm with a dash of wits
Add some good looks and then, close the door and dim the lights
(This will finally be the night)
Where dictionary chemical cookbook will finally hook you into me

Would you please take off your lab coat?
Kiss me as we roll through every chemical
You please put on your dance shoes?
‘Cause I’m sick of dancin’ alone

Stolen everything you worked for,
Love was lost but better to remember,
Left side, left side suicide

Please take off your lab coat and kiss me as we roll
Please put on your dance shoes and join me in this waltz

Would you please take off your lab coat?
Kiss me as we roll through every chemical
Would you please put on your dance shoes?
‘Cause I’m sick of dancin’ alone

Please take off your lab coat, kiss me as we roll
Please put on your dance shoes ‘cause I’m sick of dancin’ alone


Ginger could scarcely breath let alone enjoy the rest of the show. All she could hear was Dance Halls Turn to Ghost Towns playing through her head again and again. He wrote a song about me, she thought, an effin song! Despite her better judgment, she was actually beginning to grow fond of Danny.

***

“Did you enjoy the show?” Danny was driving back to Ginger’s house. The audience had loved the band so much they asked for an encore, repeatedly.

“Yeah, I had no idea what a fabulous singer you were. Your voice is incredible,” Ginger gushed. He smiled, letting the compliments roll off of him.

“What’d you think of the song I wrote for you?” He asked. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed her freeze and think things over. Long, elegant fingers tapped a tattoo on her legs.

“I don’t know what I think about it. It’s a fantastic song musically but I’m not sure how I feel about the lyrics.” She looked at Danny, trying to decide how he would take what she just said. She was expecting sadness, maybe even anger, so she was surprised when he burst out laughing.

“At the beginning of the date you would have said that it wasn’t any good. I think I’m getting to you Ginger, no, I know I’m getting to you Ginger.” He looked so sure of himself, so cocky, but it didn’t anger her like it normally. I think he is getting to me, she thought. And it scared her.

The rest of the car ride was silent each person lost in their own thoughts. Danny was thinking what to do for their next date. Ginger was thinking how much she didn’t want to be in this situation again. Each was relieved when they turned the corner and the house came into view.

“How was it?” Kyrian teased. He was sitting on the black couch in nothing but his grey boxers. “Did you enjoy the show, Ginger?”

“The show was very enjoyable,” She said stiffly. She longed for her soft bed, to feel relief from her hectic thoughts as she drifts into sleep. But her best friend has other thoughts.

“There’ve been two attacks tonight,” He said quietly, not taking his eyes of the T.V. blaring nonsense in the corner. “The bright side is we tracked them to their hideouts. We’re gonna flush them in the morning.”

“That’s the thing I had to be in early for?” Ginger asked.

“No, I just knew after you heard the song Danny wrote for you you’d have a lot to think about. I wanted to give you a chance to do so.”

“Thanks, Ky,” Ginger hugged Kyrian. “You’re the best.”