Status: updating weekly, subscribe!

Dirty Little Secret

thirtytwo

Christmas arrived and everyone was already downstairs opening their gifts. I opened mine that the maid from my house had brought over. She bought them as gifts from my parents. I had one last present, it was small and it made my heart flutter.

"It's from us," Liz smiles as she watches me start to unwrap it.

My heart sinks a little. Where was Tate's gift? I continue to unwrap the paper from the small velvet box. I open it, peering inside to find a small house key.

"We figured since you already stay here and buy groceries and call this home, it should be official," Steve says after seeing my confused face.

"I don't know what to say. Thank you, so much."

"You're welcome," They say together.

They leave the living room shortly after the last gift was unwrapped, leaving Tate and I alone. I didn't want to seem materialistic and ask where my ring was but I was concerned that he no longer cared.

"Want to go somewhere?" I smile shyly and nod my head.

The wind pulls at my loose top but sun warms my back as I grip Tate tightly around his torso as we speed along the deserted back roads. I knew that he was heading towards the water, but as we approached the beach exit, Tate kept driving.

Soon we pulled into the marina. Boats bobbed up and down in the soft current while pelicans swooped down to collect their breakfast.

Tate waits until I swing my leg off the bike to dismount himself, taking off his helmet and giving his head a shake to remove any helmet head he might have. I do the same, and then together Tate leads me to the family boat. Alex was standing on the docks waiting for us.

"Hey there good looking," He shouts, once we come into ear shot.

"Thanks grandpa," Tate smiles awkwardly

"I wasn't talking to you boy, I was talking to your lady," Alex winks then starts to laugh

"Hi Alex, it's good to see you again."

"And it's always a pleasure to see you too, darlin'. She's all ready for you Tate," Alex says looking back at the boat.

"Thanks, we'll see you later."

Tate helps me onto the deck of the boat before getting on himself as Alex removes the ropes that ties the boat to the docks and throws them on board. Tate started the engine and slowly we start to back out and into the marina.

The salty mist sprays my face as the boat begins to pick up speed. I move from the bow of the boat to where Tate is standing.

"Where are we going?"

Tate just looks at me and smiles before turning back to see what in front of him. Fifteen minutes later a small abandoned dock appears. Tate pulls up alongside it, cuts the engine, and moves quickly to tie the boat in place. He then pulls a picnic basket out of one bench compartments before taking my hand to assist me off the boat and onto the dock.

The island is small and surrounded by many other small islands and looks look secluded. Tate opens the picnic basket and pulls out a blanket to lie out in the sand.

"Very romantic, where did you find this place?" I ask sitting down cross-legged on the blanket.

"My dad used to take me fishing here and we'd feed the dolphins. Hopefully we'll see some or some sharks."

I smile fondly. I liked hearing about Tate's real dad. He seemed like a great person and an even greater dad. I can the waters hoping to see something swimming as Tate continues to talk. "Yeah, this was just our spot. My mom and Jackson never came with us. You're the only other person who I've been here with."

"I'm honored," I lean to kiss Tate but he's produced a small silver ring.

"Tate, it's beautiful!" I exclaim.

"Yeah, I didn't want it to look like an actual promise ring but I got my name engraved in it cause you're mine," Tate smiles broadly, slipping the ring onto my left ring finger. "You can move it to your other hand while we're at school. Less suspicious."

"Thank you, I love you," I kiss him thoughtfully before returning my attention back to the ring. I take it off my finger to see his name thoughtfully engraved, so even when my attention was on Eric, I'd always be with him.

I used to pray for school to never end, it was where I found peace and happiness, but now I'd give anything to graduate months early in order to start my life over with Tate somewhere far away.

"Look," Tate pointed out to the water where a sleek dorsal fin broke the surface, "dolphins."

We watched the dolphins bob up in down in the water, frequently coming up for air while searching for food until the moon started to show low on the horizon. Tate helped me back onto the boat before untying the boat from the dock and setting off the way we came.

*

I slipped my promise ring off my left ring finger and placed it on my right before I left my car the day we got back to school. I managed to only see Courtney and Allie twice while one break and lucky enough to not even get a phone call from Eric. He was however waiting for me like always.

"Hey baby," Eric said louder than normal before he pulled me into a deep, one-sided kiss.

As Eric let me go, I noticed Tate walking by shaking his head. I roll my eyes, "Why did you do that?"

"He looked at you."

"The whole school looks at me. Are you going to kiss me every time someone looks at me or just Tate?"

"I wouldn't mind kissing you every time someone looked at you," Eric winked.

I felt vomit rise in my throat. "What's gotten into you?"

"Nothing, I'm just in a good mood and I'd like my girlfriend to be in a good mood with me."

"Oh so we're using those labels in private now?" I question, panic setting in.

"I'm done with my partying ways. I'm looking for a relationship and what better one than this one right?"

I opened my mouth but quickly shut it not able to find the words to say. Instead I let Eric intertwine our fingers together as we enter the building, all while my newest jewelry addition was burning a hole in my skin.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm incredibly sorry about the rant I had in the comment section. I'm not normally that rude and bitchy but you know, shit happens.

I have to get up at six tomorrow morning, why am I still up!?

This is a really short one, sorry. I'm still on vacation. Hopefully I'll post another chapter before heading back home but don't get your hopes up.