Status: updating weekly, subscribe!

Dirty Little Secret

thirtysix

I tried to catch Tate's eyes all day but he was determined to keep me invisible. Eric however, made sure that all the attention was on us. He wanted everyone to know that their favorite power couple was still strong.

Tate wasn't in biology. I knew that he left school early just to avoid me. I felt a churning pain in the pit of my stomach. I needed to get home, and demand Tate to look at me so I could try to explain. Try to tell him why I did what I did. Try and explain why I keep hurting him. I needed to tell him that eventually, it would be just us, now wasn't the time.

Eric is at my locker when the last period of the day ends.

"Hey baby, want to come over today?"

"Actually I can't. I was so mad at you that I didn't finish my biology project so I'm going there now."

I see Eric choke back the things he wanted to tell me. I smiled slightly; it was fun watching him not being able to boss someone around.

The garage door was shut when I pulled my car into the driveway. There were five trash bags piled in the driveway in front of the shut door. I ignore the trash and round the corner, through the glass I could see Tate's legs sticking out of the under belly of his truck. I wiggle the door knob but it's locked.

I bang on the door, "Tate Daniels open this fucking door!"

To my surprise, Tate rolled out from underneath his truck and unlocked the door. He opened it but blocked the doorway his looming body.

"Let me in," I try to push past him but Tate doesn't budge.

"Unlike you, I know how to break up with somebody."

Panic sets in, "What does that mean?"

"It's over. Me and you, we're done."

Tears flood my eyes, obscuring my vision. "No, no, no. Tate, listen to me, I love you."

"No you don't. If you did you would have left that jackass months ago. Now all of your shit is in those trash bags and I want the key and my ring."

"Tate," I try to push my way into the garage, this time Tate doesn't try hard to block me and I barge through.

I sniff loudly and wipe my eyes. I turn to Tate who is still leaning against the door frame. "Tate, please believe me. I don't have any feelings for him. Eric means nothing to me."

"Then why did you kiss him? Why are you still with him? You saw Courtney and Allie Friday night. We got along, we laughed, and they like me. You aren't going to lose your stupid social status. Your parents don't care that you're dating this all-star stud; they'd pay attention to me! How would it look if you brought me to the golf course and I talk about my trip to a hospital to get my stomach pumped because I tried to off myself? Eric doesn't love you like I love you, Corinne! He wouldn't do half the things that I would do for you."

"Then prove that and stay with me. Be patient with me, trust me, and know that I love you just as much."

"No, I'm done. I want you out."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Corinne, don't play these games. We're done, it's over."

"No Tate. Trust me, you're not trusting me and you said that you would."

"That was before I saw how right you two were for each other."

"What do you mean?" I ask in horror.

Tate strides towards me now and parts of me are afraid. I have only seen that crazy look in his eyes a few times. The garage is suddenly small and restricting. But I don't dare leave. I stand my ground and look Tate in the face, prepared to do anything in my power in order for Tate to see my side of the story.

"Why are we together, Cori? We hated each other, we have nothing in common. You're a scared and lost little girl that hides behind her expensive outfits and designer hang bags. You want to be known for something you're not, you are so terrified of people finding out who you really are, which is weak and simple. And for myself? I don't give a fuck what people think about me, the worse the better. I'm not afraid to be talked negatively about. I know how the real world works, unlike you."

"That's not true! You're just as afraid as I am. You don't want people to know that you are really a good guy. That you actually care about people, that you have feelings! We're together because we needed each other, and that need turned into love! Stop over thinking this!"

"Well then that love has turned into settling," Tate says softly.

I am taken aback by Tate's tender voice. Daringly I walk towards him, wrapping my arms around his middle, breathing in his scent. "You think you're settling for me?"

Tate laughs, "No baby. Have you seen me? You're definitely settling for me. You could do so much better. You could be with any guy you want but you're with a guy with self-esteem issues?"

It all made sense now. Tate wasn't mad that I kissed Eric, or that I haven't broken up with him. He was afraid that I was going to leave him for someone he thought was better suited for me.

I hold up my left hand for him to see. "Do you see this?" I wiggle my fourth finger, showing the ring he had gotten for me nearly two months ago. "I love you; I only want to be with you. If anything, I should worry about you leaving me because I'm not going anywhere. The feelings I have for you are scary and they're getting stronger every day. I'm not going to leave you for Eric or anybody else. I just don't know how to leave that comfort that I've had for so long."

"I just don't get it."

"It's like if you lose a lot of weight but you keep those pants you used to wear, just in case you need them again."

"Eric is your fat pants?"

"Yes, and you are my smoking hot skinny jeans that makes my ass look amazing," I giggle before pulling Tate into a tender kiss.

Tate ran his fingers through my hair, holding my face close to his. I rise onto my tip toes, clutching onto Tate's jackets.

Tate pulls away to catch his breath and I take the opportunity to ask what I've been wanting to ask. "So, can I move back in or...?” I trail off not able to finish the thought.

"Do you forgive me?"

I nod against his chest even though there was nothing to forgive Tate for. He was only protecting himself, protecting his heart. I couldn't imagine a life without Tate. Today was the closest thing I ever want to get to us breaking up. Something told me though that the storm was not yet over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay I didn't leave you with a cliff hanger for longer.
Tate and Cori are okay ... for now!
(;
SHOUT OUT TO DEATH THE ANGEL FOR WRITING A STORY PROMO FOR THIS STORY!

Later Alligator.
xox.