Status: updating weekly, subscribe!

Dirty Little Secret

fortyone

I used to be able to sleep with the television drowning out the silence, but now not even the constant chatter of infomercials were enough to protect me from everything that goes bump in the night. Insomnia set in and even on the nights that my eyes get too heavy to keep open and I am graced with a few peaceful minutes of sleep, it doesn't last long.

I see Tate's hurt face. Everything that he has been through; he's already been in so much pain and now I added to it when all I wanted to do was take everything away. I was the worst kind of human; the selfish and undeserving kind but yet I was still the most praised girl at school. It was what I always wanted; to be the best so then my parents would take notice in me but now that I have achieved everything I am finding that they don't care about having a perfect daughter; they don't care about having a daughter at all.

I roll over in bed, staring at the yellow prom dress that was hanging in my open amour. I would be wearing it tonight. I had been looking forward to my senior prom night since the beginning of high school. I had been planning it since then too. The theme was Fairy Tale Storybook, and it was every little girls dream to dress up like their favorite princess and pretend to be one just for the night. Now it didn't seem so important, none of it it. I didn't want to be in a room full of people that praise me or wish to be me while I am voted prom queen.

"You're just gorgeous!" Allie's mom squealed as she snapped the camera.

The girls including Aliyah and Sophia had gotten ready at my house. I looked down the line of the other four girls as they smiled for the cameras that their mothers were holding. Mine was standing off in the corner with an ugly scowl on her face as if she smelled sour milk.

"Corinne, suck in that tummy! My god I would have thought that you would at least go on a diet so when you are crowned you don't look like a cow at the fair," she huffed as I stuck my middle finger up in the air for everyone to see.

The other mothers were picking apart their daughters. Just the opposite, they were gushing at how amazing they looked and they took turns guessing which princess we took after.

"Well Corinne is Belle, that's obvious," Courtney's mother explained. "And my little Courtney is Rapunzel. You're just so beautiful."

"Allie is Ariel 'cause of her red hair," Allie's mom said, pushing a bright red curl off of her daughter's shoulder.

This was the first time I had met Aliyah's and Sophia's parents. Aliyah's parents were both tall had amazing muscle tone. At first glance they seemed terrifying but they were incredibly laid back. Sophia's parents looked nothing like her, they were tall but larger in size, unlike their petite daughter. They seemed room reserved.

"Sophia is Pocahontas and Aliyah is Pocahontas," Aliyah's mom guessed correctly.

We all did look gorgeous; the moms were right about that. Everyone looked happy and excited for it to be just the five of us. I just wished that this temporary high would last the whole night.

Dinner was delicious and I ate until I thought the seams in my dress were about to bust. I smiled thinking about what my mom would do if she saw how much I was eating.

I had left the decorations to the professionals so when we walked into the hotels ballroom I was blown away. The enchanted trees and the glowing lights streamed along the ceiling to make it look like dazzling stars. It was ripped out from a page of a fairy tale. It was perfect.

For the first time since the breakup, I was breathing easy. I wasn't trying my hardest not to think about Tate. It was just me and my friends having a good time, enjoying our last hoorah of our senior year. I wasn't thinking about what others thought of me, it was liberating.

"And this year's prom queen is," the lady paused for dramatic affect. "Corinne Page!"

I flashed a smile and made my wave onto the stage to be crowned. I waved to everyone as the king, Eric, was being crowned. Then I saw him; Tate, in a suit and tie, standing away from the crowd staring directly at me.

I kept my eyes glued to his during my dance with Eric. We stayed a good foot apart and swayed slightly to the beat of the music before parting ways without speaking. I immediately went to go find Allie, Courtney, Aliyah and Sophia.

"Tate's here!" I say harshly.

"We know! We called him and asked if he'd be your date. The prom queen shouldn't be dancing alone!" Allie smiled.

"But I have all of you guys," I explain.

"Do you really want to slow dance with us? We know you love him and he obviously still loves you or he wouldn't have come. Go talk to him!" Courtney gave me a playful push in Tate's direction.

I walk slowly to him as time stops. "Hi," I say stupidly.

"Want to dance?"

I nod my head and Tate leads me to the dance floor. I relished the feeling of being in his arms again. I put my head on his chest and listening to his heart's steady beat as Tate's hands snaked around my waist.

"I didn't ask them to ask you to come tonight. I'm fine on my own, I moved on," I tell him.

"You're seeing someone else?"

"No, I've just come to terms with the break up. I know that it's over and that you'll never forgive me and I don't expect you to," I look up at him and I see Tate's face. It's blank and unreadable.

"Want to get out of here?" Tate says expectantly.

I was confused but I automatically nodded my head. Tate smirked that familiar smirk that sent a tingle down my spine and together we left the hotel in his old beat up truck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Seriously guys, you are the best. I love you all so much. Everyone's comments have been so nice and encouraging.

I never thought this story would get to where it's at.

Love ya'll.

Later Alligator.
xox.