Status: updating weekly, subscribe!

Dirty Little Secret

seven

I avoided any conversation with Tate. He seemed to understand because he didn't try to work my nerves. The rest of the week, whenever we saw each other, there wasn't more than a glance in one another's general direction. In Mr. Tregus' class we just so happened to be two students assigned to sit next to each other. Eric stopped asking questions and the subject of Tate Daniels got old with girls.

Saturday morning came and at seven in the morning, I see Tate's old rusty blue pick up truck pull into my drive way.

As I walk outside, Tate hops out, rounds the truck to open my door. "We can take my car, it has air conditioning and won't break down."

"Don't talk like that in front of my baby. She's sensitive," He rubs the hood before offering his hand to help me climb in.

Inside there is bench seating, that is original to the truck. In one spot the stuffing is coming out. There is no radio, there isn't even a clock. Tate slides into the drivers side and puts the truck in reverse and slowly starts to head back down my driveway, looking over his shoulder.

"I don't know why to drive stick shift," I say, trying to avoid silence.

"My dad taught me when I was like six. The car used to be his before he died."

"I didn't know your dad died," I say confused.

"You're probably thinking about my step dad. I call him my dad because my mom wanted me to, he's a good guy though. I'm lucky to have him."

"Can I ask when he died?"

"when I was ten. The same year my brother died. My mom met Steve shortly after, and that's when we moved here. So decided not to dress up today?" Tate changed the subject.

"Yeah, I'm wearing my bathing suit underneath," I try to sound chipper. My mind was still stuck on the deaths in Tate's family.

"Why?" Tate asks.

"We're going to the beach, duh. You don't expect me to just get the water and leave. We have to spend like thirty minutes there, at least."

Tate pulls a U-turn. I don't ask where he's going. I know he is heading back to his house to obviously get his swim trunks. Five minutes later Tate is jogging back to his truck with his swim trunks on and a bag, that is most likely containing his jeans. He is still wearing the zip up jacket he always wears.

As we pull onto interstate 75 I ask, "How old was your brother."

Tate lets out a large sigh. I couldn't tell if he was irritated or not. I decided not because he answered the question. "Jackson was four. We were swimming, and he drowned."

"And your dad?"

"He had lung cancer. I know what your thinking, so don't even say it," Tate smiles slightly, trying to lighten the mood.

"I'm going to say it anyways, you shouldn't be smoking."

"If I didn't have an obnoxious lab partner, maybe I wouldn't have to," Tate smiles wider now. I could tell that he is kidding.

I smile back at him, finding myself staring at his smile. "You should smile more, it looks really good on you."

"You should not bitch as much, it looks great on you."

I roll my eyes ignoring his jabs.

"So Miss. Corinne, what about you. Why are you with that jackass football jock."

"If I tell you you'll have another reason to insult me."

"I promise I won't," He says seriously.

So I dive into the story. I had a pool party freshman year, and that was when my dad met Eric. It was the only time he seemed interested in my friends, or even my life. That night Eric and I decided to start our version of dating. Dating for looks, to impress my dad, so Eric could secretly bang as many women as he wanted as long as they were from different schools and know one found out.

"So you don't love him?" He asks at the end of my explanation.

"No, I don't."

We didn't say much else until the east coast shore line skimmed along the horizon. Tate pulled onto the road running parallel with the beach and a strip of stores, one of them being Tate's friend's tattoo shop.

The beach is filled with families and early morning runners. There are a few stray people trying to soak up the last of Florida's hot summer rays before winter hits. Tate takes my bag for me to let me slip off my sandals, allowing the warm sand dig into my toes.

I shed my dress and let it fall to the ground before turning to Tate who was pulling off his tennis shoes, turning them over and emptying the sand. "Come in the water with me?" I ask.

"No, I don't think so."

"Why not?" I pout my bottom lip out.

"Just because you're adorable when you do that, doesn't mean I'm going into the ocean with you."

I stopped pouting. I've never been complimented in such a innocent way, it is a take back. "You think I'm adorable?"

Tate's smile grew sincere. "I think you're beautiful."

I smile back at him then leave him on the beach as I venture out to deeper water. I am in chest deep water when Tate unzips his jackets and strips from his t-shirt, revealing his tattoos and sculpted chest. It is the first time I truly look at him, and find him oddly attractive. His dark blond hair fell like messy waves in his face. His jaw is hard and his eyes are gentle.

"You got me in here, now what?"

Now what? Like a magician, I was under some sort of spell. I smiled slightly, reached on my tip toes and places a very magical kiss on his soft lips. "That's what," I whisper then effectively leaving him once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Corinne kissed Tate, how cute.

I'm been coloring my hair for the last five hours, but I am determined to have blonde in my dark brown hair!

So yeah, thanks to every who has subscribed and recommended and read. Keep doing all that! :)

Later Alligator.