‹ Prequel: Red Petals
Sequel: Final Curtain
Status: TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdj2NFsfkxk

Storm Brew

Chapter 26

When I was through arguing with Aric over killing people who had nothing to do with our problems, I was exhausted. Because arguing with him and with a wall was the same thing—only a wall didn’t give you calm responses that got on your nerves.

It was like he didn’t care about people—any people—which made me wonder further what my interest in me was. Maybe it was just a way of pissing off his Father.

My head wasn’t in the mood to think—then I had another problem, well, two actually. One I knew how to deal with; the other was a little harder because every time I walked out of my small bedroom he was there, sitting in front of the fireplace.

Anna was sitting somewhere outside, cooling off, I’m sure Aric made her want to punch him also—he had the effect on people, another family trait, I’d imagine.

Nate was the one on the couch by the fireplace. Since I’d locked myself in my room eating a yogurt, I was waiting to eat war insuring from the living room. Aric was in there too.

But, so far, there was nothing—you could hear crickets singing outside which stroked me as strange. Every time I’d seen them in the same room, they’d been at each other’s throats. I didn’t know the reason behind Aric’s dislike for Nate, but I sure knew way Nathaniel hated his older brother.

So… why wasn’t a war breaking loose?

I took the spoon to my mouth and discovered it was empty, looking down I saw the yogurt was all gone.

I sighed twisting the door knob. His head bobbed towards my door immediately—oh sweet Jesus, this was going to take a lot of work.

Nate didn’t say anything when I walked into the kitchenette behind the green couch, where he was sitting, without breathing out a word. I tucked my hair behind my ear, once it fell to my face. Way back when, I would’ve jumped out of my skin when someone approached me soundlessly, especially if that someone stood behind me.

I looked over my shoulder while washing my hands.

“If I hadn’t eaten my yogurt it would’ve been dripping from hair, right now.” I said with a sharp tone.

Aric made a face taking three steps back, leaning on the other counter. I closed the water tap, drying my hands on a nearby kitchen cloth.

“Be mad all you like, but I did what I have to do.”

I gave him a look when he kept standing there like he was waiting for me to do something. I frowned.

“Why are you standing there, anyway?” I deadpanned.

“I'm waiting for you to step aside so I can reach the cabinet.” He answered with relaxed voice, figures.

I stepped aside and he moved in. Aric pulled a glass from the cabinet filling it with water, when he was raising it to his lips, I reached my hand out, the tips of my fingers brushed his cheek. His eyes turned to me while he drank.

“Is this a... hand print?” Okay, so, some of my revolt for what he'd done left—for a little while—I dropped my hand but caught Nate eying us from the corner of my eye.

I repressed the need to tell him this was nothing. There was nothing going on between me and his brother. Maybe he'd have enough and leave, though.

After setting down the cup, Aric shrugged.

“Yeah,” He stated walking out from the kitchenette.

My curiosity peeked. I hadn't slapped him, not for lack of wanting too, I'd been too shaken up by what happened between Nate and me to actually be aggressive.

“Wait,” I trudged following him through the living room—I nearly asked why the hell he was going over to sit in the arm chair, when Nate was right there... but caught my tongue. “Who gave you that—and remind me to send them a gift basket.” I sat down the furthest I could from Nathaniel, ignoring him plainly.

I could feel his presence, though; not feeling him when he was beside me would be like not breathing oxygen.

Aric's head cocked towards a window, eyes glinting mischievously.

“Your friend,” He mumbled taking out of his pocket a Samsung—which reminded me...

I turned to face Nate instinctively, I didn't see right away, how his eyes shone when I did this.

“You owe me a new phone.”

There was a scowl as he processed my words.

“There are two things I owe you know,” He attempted to hide the bitterness in his voice, turning his lips into a smile. “Anything else? Why don't you make a list while you're at it.”

Swallowing I watched as Nate took the remote turning on the small TV. I forgot we had one, since we spent so little time here.

“Too bad she didn't break your jaw...”

My hand shot to my mouth, hurrying to cover it up, I couldn't laugh about this—Nate couldn't know... but it was kind of funny.

“What did you say, little brother?”

Aric mocked and I looked up, of course they would start arguing now. A sigh of irritation slipped from my boy—ex-boyfriend's lips. That was hard to think, even more to say out loud how I could imagine.

“Too bad your jaw's not broken,” Nate muttered, pretending to be paying the TV attention. “It would be a lot quieter then.” He lifted a pillow, placing it behind his head—his legs stretched out before himself.

“Why are you still here, really?” Aric leant forward, placing his elbows on his knees. “Melissa doesn't seem to want you here—” His green eyes fell to me, a smile—cruel and calculating forming. “Do you want him here, Melissa?”

The question was slippery. I didn't have to face Nathaniel to know he was still looking at the screen, but on the inside he was dying to hear my answer—hoping it wasn't a 'no'.

The truth was, my heart did want Nate around. My brain, not so much, because it knew I was going to end up hurting when this was all over.

There was only one role to take. The avoider.

I got up from the couch shaking my head.

“Oh no—no! You are not using me in your word-wars. No way.” I marked the last words. “I'm going outside to congratulate Anna on her amazing slap.” I brightened my face with a smile shutting the outside door after walking out.

That was a close one.

It didn't take too long to find where Anna was. She was a few feet from the cabin, sitting on an old, dried log.

When I was coming up behind her she shifting, and I knew she'd heard me—maybe she didn't know who was behind her—

“Did you come back so I can slap you again?” Her voice sounded a little acidly.

Wow, what did Aric do to her? Though, you didn't need much to get under Ann's skin. Her fuse was very easy to burn.

“Not Aric,” I called seeing her head turn. “I bet you wouldn't mind slapping me too, though.” I stated crossing the log and sitting down, a little far from her.

Anna crossed her arms leaning forward, onto her joint knees. She looked up at the stars. I followed her example for a little while.

In the last few months, I'd seen more stars than in my entire life and they were a worthy sight. I could imagine them in mind, burning in the outer space, giant balls of all consuming fire—not really sure why they were alive, like us, I guess. They were beautiful.

“I'm not sorry, you know.” I whispered brushing a few russet hairs from my face, before I lowered my head looking towards her and she did the same. “About what I did to you, to get away. You want honesty, right? So, that's the truth, I don't feel sorry for what I did, Ann. You lied to me and you helped Nate lie... but it doesn't mean I want this to ruin our friendship.”

I guess I forgave her and didn't even know; besides something told me I was going to need Anna—a lot. With Nate around and Aric... I was going to have my hands full.

Something clicked, piecing itself together as Anna looked me over. A certain twinkle in her eye came to life, like when she used to tell me to be more like her—especially when it came to relationships.

“Honesty's not always the best course of action,” She informed smoothly. “But what you did—though, it pissed me off...” A tiny smirk caught up to her. “It was pretty bad ass.” I let out a chuckle. “But if you ever do something like that again, so help me God...” She trailed off on purpose leaving me to wonder what she meant. “So… what are you doing out here where’s cold and… dewy,” She pointed out her puffy hair, I smiled. “I hate when that happens, it looks like a wig from the seventies.”

Her dark hair was frizzy all over, it was really a sight, if I had a camera I’d record this Kodak moment. Anna never allowed people to see her hair out of order, if something happened to her hair she’d run home to straighten it up, that was one of the reasons why it was hard to think of her doing what Nate did.

“I wanted to say nice slap,” Her forest eyes twinkled with a sense of pride.

“He still has the mark?” I nodded. “Great, I didn’t think it would stick for so long, though.”

I hugged my arms when a drop of water fell on my forehead. It was really bad out here, spring weather during day, winter during when night fell.

“It’s pretty noticeable,” I pointed out knowing it would satisfy her to know.

It did, I saw her grin waving her hand at me. Probably the one she’d used to inflict the slap.

“Still, I thought you’d be in there all over Nathaniel—instead of out here.” I bit my cheek’s wall. “You fixed things with him, didn’t you?” She hesitated asking and all I could imagine was that she saw my nervousness rising behind the mask I’d been wearing since the talk with Nate. “Oh you have to be kidding…” She whispered when I looked forward into the mass of dark greenery.

There was no telling how every fiber of my being wanted him—every part of me, except for my brain. And right now, that was what I wanted to listen to. Following my heart had gotten me into this mess in the first place.

“He’s been moody since I called him for help, he’s been hell to put up with, please tell me you forgave him?”

“It’s not a matter of forgiveness, Anna, not at this point. I’ve forgiven Nate for worse things, this isn’t about that.”

“Then what is it?” Widening her eye sockets, she leant backward a little. “Don’t tell me you and…” She gave a little shake to the cabin with her head and I understood.

My face couldn’t hide the shock, not this time around. The horror of it was too great.

“No!” I shrieked, all my posture straightened with sharpness. “No… me and Aric didn’t do anything, we’re just…” What was the right word to describe him as? Friend didn’t seem appropriate, acquaintance wasn’t good either, we’d been together for over two months… “We’re just allies.” I concluded pleased.

“Allies? You’re aware that allies have a mutual goal, right?” Anna spoke seriously, but she was trying to comb her hair at the same time and it took some of the seriousness away. “Mel,” She called me to attention.

Pulling my eyes from her puffy dark hair, I pasted them on her face.

“Yeah, I know that.” I knew what came next. “What?” I asked as she leant a bit closer.

Anna shrugged one of her shoulders.

“I’m waiting for you to tell what your mutual goal is.”

Of course she was, and I would gladly tell her if we had one. I didn’t, though.

“We don’t have one, not really…” Not that I was aware of. “I think he doesn’t get along with his Dad and well… he’s trying to piss him off by keeping me safe from them.”

I couldn’t do any better than that supposition.

“Oh that’s fucking brilliant, really it is.” She mumbled the curse word more to herself. “You have no idea why he’s doing this, not even two months of isolation with him?”

“He’s got that all mysterious front going on for him.” I brushed it off—or tried to.

Anna tapped her finger to her lips, a gesture that let me know she was coming up with something.

“What are you thinking?” I was almost afraid, nothing that came from that head of hers worked out the way she planned it; there was always a kink in the plan.

She broke free from her inner-plotting mumbling:

“Oh, nothing…” She waved it away.

“Anna,” I warned.

“It’s strange that’s all—and people don’t just help others for no good reason. He wants something, Melissa.”

“Funny, he said the exact same thing once.” I finally decided to zip my leather jacket.

Anna frowned.

“Anyway, what did you talk about with him for two whole months—you’re not the quiet type.”

She was right.

“There wasn’t much talking,” I muttered rubbing a fading bruise from my wrist. “Get your mind out
of the gutter, I told you, there is nothing between us, there will never be.”

“Does he know that? Maybe he likes you and that’s why he keeps popping up like a bad itch.” She gave up on her hair when nothing worked to get it down.

“He knows that,” He’d said it more than once, he actually seemed disturbed when I’d asked to share a bed back in Miami—yeah, that night came back in a slow blur, but I remembered the stupid things I’d done. “He keeps saying I’ll know when the time is right.”

Anna tucked her jumper around her.

“He played too many quest games if you ask me.” I snorted, not able to imagine Aric playing any sort of game.

“I want Nate to leave,” I dropped the bomb on her, leaving her dazed so I sought to explain. “I don’t want to have a life with a person who kills other people, when this is over I want normal. I want to live my life—” I tucked my loose hair back, shaking my head lightly. “I want to finish College, start a career, get married, decide if I want to have kids or not—I want to have those normal choices like I was supposed to, because I was supposed to grow up…” I rubbed my forehead, cutting off a sniff, ordering myself to pull it together. “I want that, and if Nate doesn’t quit… then I can’t be with him, so it’s better if we’re not together anymore. It would only hurt more to say goodbye afterward.”

Anna fell into silence listening to what she knew to be a truth, I couldn’t handle knowing Nate might get himself killed one day, it was hard right now, I wouldn’t take it. So, if we weren’t together, I wouldn’t know even if it happened one day.

I pulled my head from my hands.

“Why did you slap Aric, anyway?”

Anna wanted to protest at the change of subject, it was visible in her forest colored irises. She propped her head onto her palm, and looked down.

“Because he taught you how to fight,” I groaned already feeling myself losing control over my life. “It’s not that I disagree… completely. It’s just…” She made a pained expression. “I know how you’re stubborn and now that he’s taught you some stuff you think—”

“That I can protect myself? Yes, I do think that. In fact, I kicked a guy’s ass just the other day.”

Anna opened her mouth then stopped looking a little more than stunned by the confession.

“Wow, really?” There was excitement behind her voice, when she cleared her throat and tried to scold me I bit down my lip not to laugh. “Well, that’s nice—but don’t think you can take on everything, because—”

“I know,” I cut her off before she embarked onto a detailed list of what I couldn’t do. “Just let me make my choices from now on.”

Defeated, Anna tilted her head.

“You two have a lot in common, you know.”

I blinked softly getting up as she did.

“With who?”

“Who do you think?” When my brow creased she chuckled lightly turning on her heel. “You and Nate, once you set your mind on something there’s no dissuading you.”

I’m going to win you back, princess.

The remembrance of his words made me shiver, and I realized Anna was correct, and the difficult of the task ahead seemed to become more noticeable now.

This was going to be harder than I had anticipated.

***

Alabama was behind us. One hour ago we'd stopped at Athens and I lived through either the awkwardest or funniest moments in my life. I literally didn't know if I should laugh or cry, though crying was exaggerated, maybe shut my mouth and look at both Nate and Aric in a stoic manner.

Last night, I decided it was more than time to return to my treasure hunt and so I said we were heading for Tennessee.

Aric was sticking with us and so was Nate—fantastic.

It goes without saying I chose riding with Anna, not that Nate hadn't asked if I wanted to ride with him, to what I politely declined... alright I was a bitch when I told him to get a hint. He didn't leave, though.

I sighed tapping my fingers on the car's window with awe. I'd never dreamed my parents had this house—mansion. It was positively huge, the biggest thing I'd ever been to.

The outside was a little cold, austere. Though, the sky here was gray and it sort of made me want to walk right inside just to discover if the inside was warmer-feeling.

The house's exterior was a bit Victorian from the 1800s. The grounds around it were wide and beautiful. Aric had the one getting out of the car and forced the lock on the gateway.

The Kia was the second to enter the estate, followed by the black Mustang.

“One, wow,” Anna commented. “And two...” She side-glanced me. “This place is sort of...”

“Creepy,” We finished her thought at the same time.

“Yeah,” I agreed with both our opinion. “Didn't you ever tell my Mom these kinds of places freaked me out?”

“It might have slipped her mind.” Anna drove up to the house slowly, she definitely wasn't in a hurry to park and check out the inside. “Too bad,”

I gulped down my anxiety and fears swinging my stuff onto my back. I didn't run up the stairs or anything of the sort, I walked up them cautiously, almost as if I were afraid of slipping.

Once at the top, I peeked in. Aric had gone in before us, Nate too since he wasn't in his car anymore.

The front door was thick wood, sculptured with figures of wildlife—I couldn't say they weren't striking and intriguing, especially for me. Anna came behind me and that was when I stepped through the threshold, then an ample mini hall, until I found myself in what looked like grand-hall. The columns were carved like the front door in a deeper wooden shade. In front of me, two stairways laid in front of one another, both led to a top where a glass window in a light orange stood, faint light beaming through it making quite the visual impact. The grand-hall itself was cavernous, being that the ceiling stood high above our heads, truly high.

The chandeliers were big and brilliant.

With some curiosity, I walked over to the left pushing a door open. More glassed windows with warm colors, soft browns and oranges.

Here were tons of books and various bookshelves. Painting of birds, foxes, deers lined up the walls—

“Wow,” He stabled my shoulders before I fell to the floor. “It's just me, not the boogie man.”

Yeah, well...

“It wasn't you,” I slapped Nate's hands after gathering myself. “It was the deer's... head.” I got another chill as Nate looked up, over his shoulder.

“Huh... guess your family was found of hunting and... collecting prizes.”

“Terrific,” I mocked openly sniping around to leave, having had enough of this study/library room. “Can't wait to see the rooms...” I folded my arms following Anna's steps.

Before coming here, we had gone to a train station and look for locker number 552 to which I had no key to... so we had to force it open as discretely as possible and make a run for it. On the inside had been both a key, this address and another riddle. Of course things wouldn't be easy.

“Which way are the bedrooms ?” Anna asked once we were out of ear shot from both Nate and Aric.

I turned around in the hallway, we'd finished walking up the stairs and now had two possible ways to go. I had no idea where to.

“I don't know, I've never been here.” I shrugged lightly, looking down both halls, they looked the same, maybe because the décor was equal.

Small tables with lamps perched, mantles on the walls, and what looked like Persian rugs under our feet.

I advanced to my right, turning the knob of the first door that came up. A plain looking room met my eyes, it wasn't personalized it lacked everything the rest of the house had. The bed though, that was big. The walls were a dull blue, the ground was dark wood like the rest of the house.

“I can take this one.” I mumbled, placing the bags by the single old-looking rocking chair—nothing creepy there—“This place smells funny.”

“That's because it's old, luv.” Anna jumped into my bedroom, her face going a little pale, then red.

“You... don't step behind me like that! Actually, don't stand behind me at all.” She said, standing up to him, something Anna seemed to have no problem doing.

“A little skittish, yeah? Are you lot afraid of the creaks, is that it?” Aric's cracking smirk made Ann's cheeks flare redder, I rolled my eyes.

“Go pick a room, Armani-boy.” He lifted an eyebrow but didn't comment. “And take Anna while you're at it, ghosts freak her out as much as they do me.”

“Wha—what side are you on, here?” She hissed in my ear. “Hey—let go.” She shouted with all her lung strength, her arms were seized in Aric's hands as he pulled along. “Mel tell him to let me go!”

Once they were gone from within the room I chuckled alone, hearing a groan and complaint from Aric, something about her kicking him.

Strolling up to the window, my eyes didn't see the exterior not matter how lovely and alluring it all was. They saw my reflection and the person's standing right behind me, in the doorway.

“This room's a little vacant, isn't it?” He asked, ash head leant on the open door.

I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my jeans.

“I've been in worse rooms,” Pulling out an indifferent look, I spun to face the real image, instead of a fake. “Thought you'd left by now.”

Nathaniel said nothing while stepping around the bedroom, gazing at the little there was to see, until his brandy eyes fell on me.

“It probably gets pretty cold in here at night,” He towered over me with that annoying smirk I rather slap from his face. “I can go get the stuff from the bedroom I found if you wanna share.”

A wavy strand fell to the front of his forehead as he gazed down at me, into my eyes.

Before I answered, my teeth clenched, my heart did too—but my brain agreed with the course of action.

“I want you gone.” I shouldered past him, glad that my hair fell to my face as I walked away.

“Too bad, princess, I'm not going anywhere. So, you'll just have to get used to disappointment.”

I could feel him stalking down the hall softly, like a shadow radiating heat and affection. There was only one thing to do. Kill his affection, and my brain said to do it. Say, do, whatever I needed for him to leave me alone, to step out of my life—to make him believe I really wanted nothing with him as long as he kept working for the Hive. Because my heart wanted it, even if I suffered in the end. But I was so sick of hurt and pain.

Wouldn't anyone else do the same to protect themselves? Especially, when you'd already been trampled as many times as I had.

“I'm already used to disappointment, you're proof of that.” It was spoken coldly and cruelly and... the moment I said I wanted to take it back.

I really didn't think about what I'd say, I just followed what my instinct brought out in me. I needed to protect myself against Nate, since he wouldn't leave... I had to make him want to leave.

The soft steps behind me stopped, I wanted to, my heart wanted me to whirl around and hug him for what I'd said—I didn't, I couldn't show weakness. My whole resolve would fade into nothingness.

“That one stung a little, Mel.” I heard him call from the beginning of the hallway. “But there's nothing in this world you can do to make me leave you. Face it, princess, you're stuck with me.”

I could hear the smile in his voice.

Groaning a little, I pushed a door, where Anna's voice came from—she wasn't happy.

“Mel!” She shrieked coming up to me, slipping her arms around my shoulders.

“Are you... alright?” I blinked as Anna shook me a little bit.

“She probably saw a cockroach and thought it was an evil elf.” Nate snorted already beside me, watching the whole show with a glint of humor in his pupils.

I pushed her off a little.

“What the hell?” I asked with a huff. “Did you do something?” I faced Aric, squinting my eyes as he leant on the bigger bedroom window.

“No,” He stated with simpleness.

Before I could ask one more time what it was, Anna was shaking me a bit more.

“There are three lousy bedroom in this whole house! Three.” She held up three fingers as if I didn't get the memo.

“I'm not seeing...” Three bedrooms, four people... whoops. “Well, Aric can sleep on the couch.” I pointed out to her.

“I got here first my room, luv.” He pointed out the stuff laid out on the king size bed. “If anyone's going to sleep on the couch, it isn't going to be me.”

“Where are your manners? Ladies first and all that.” I heard Nate snort softly from his spot.

With a shrug he stood a little taller.

“I don't fancy couches. Nate didn't seem to mind yesterday.” Emerald irises crossed brandy ones. “What do you say, little brother?”

“Screw you,” Nathaniel spat staring him straight on with a hard glare.

Anna latched onto Nate's arm his gaze moved to where her hold was.

“Please, I don't want to go and sleep in the couch...”

“I didn't want to put up with you, but I have to. Deal with it.” He snatched his strong arm from her hand.

Anna almost stomped his foot, I saw it in her face. I think she didn't do it, because she understood, on time, how childish that would've been.

“You're awful! How can you send me to sleep downstairs with... with...”

“Bloody Mary?”

Me and Anna gave a long, dangerous look his way. He waved it off with a chortle.

“Anna I don't care who you sleep with, or what. So get used to the couch.” He smirked avoiding punch to stomach. “I bet the rats in the house are more afraid of you then you are of them.”

“R-rats...?” She blanched.

I patted her shoulder with a sigh.

“I'm sure he's kidding—”

“No, luv, we heard rats downstairs—probably in the basement.”

I flared Aric's nonchalant pose, he rewarded me with a simple 'what?'

I did my best not to groan just as I thought that Anna had resigned herself to the idea of sleeping downstairs...

A more passive expression clouded Aric's face.

“Fine then, it's a big enough bed. We can share.” Aric's words had me freeze up and Anna glare over her shoulder with murderous intent. “I'm trying to be nice.”

“I rather be chewed up by rats, but thanks.” She feigned the cheery tone at the end as she did the smile, before stomping off and taking me along.

Oh this was going to be so much fun...
♠ ♠ ♠
"So don't go away
Say what you say
But say that you'll stay
Forever and a day
In the time of my life
'Cause i need more time
Yes, I need more time just to make things right" - Oasis

Spooky mansion ;)

Comments people?