‹ Prequel: Red Petals
Sequel: Final Curtain
Status: TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdj2NFsfkxk

Storm Brew

Chapter 34

"I'm sorry," I heard a drowsy Nate whisper into the hollow of my neck. "I'm sorry for… starting a fight."

I shushed him with a kiss on the right temple. I wanted this day to end, it had been disastrous especially one hour ago...

Almost one week had gone by since the freezer-incident. Like Nate pointed out, our money was running out—fast. Instead of two people we were four. Neither Anna nor Aric had money; we had no idea where her Kia was and we weren't crazy enough to risk going back to Chicago so Aric could get his Porsche and everything in it.

We had had to buy them clothing. They couldn't have gone on wearing ours... So, Nate found a way to make profit. Sometimes it included gambling, or hustling at pool—he was better at the last one.

He'd done just that in a little bar we'd decided to stop at. Things had gone smoothly, in the beginning. Me and Anna had kept to ourselves sitting in a corner, watching the typical bikers drinking, chatting and playing pool.

Nathaniel had won money like crazy from all the guys swarming around.

Aric had sat on bar stool chatting with the owner—who, apparently, was a friend of his. I know—it was a shock that he had friends and not just people wanting to kill him.

Anyway, when Nate declared his pooling-night over, he'd marched over to the counter not even making eye contact with Aric. There was no surprise in the cold shoulder between them. His bad mood had been present the whole week. I knew it wasn't easy for him to handle Aric, but it bugged me that he couldn't just shut anger out for a minute.

Today... today it had been the worst of all days. He'd been mad at everything, not just Aric—even me.

Back at the bar, my aquamarine eyes saw a flicker and a scrunch of his face; it could've been from the shot he'd drowned—except I knew Nate. I'd seen him drink thirteen drinks and there hadn't been a single trace of change across his expression.

Next thing we knew, he had struck Aric's face with a punch making him stagger. Aric's friend didn't like to see someone suckered-punched for no apparent reason, and had spread into action. Cheering had followed, numerous guys who had nothing to do with the fight joined in just for the hell of it—being drunk as skunks.

Anna had held me back from the crowd around Nate, giving Aric a glare. Our eyes had been bewildered when he slid between the mass of people pushing a few here, punching another there, and kicking—until he reached the center of it all. Aric had dragged Nate from the epicenter of it all.

Nate hadn't been happy with being saved.

Obviously we fled the bar.

I'd shoved Nate into the car's backseat, overcoming the blood pouring from a split lip. Then Aric drove to a near-road motel.

And here we were.

We were sharing a motel room but Aric and Anna took the couch this time around.

I still had no clue what brought on Nate's anger today; sure he was angry at Aric but that was every day's business order. Why he was moody at me and Anna…

"Is…" I hesitated, afraid he'd snap. The quiet beat of his pulse gave me strength to carry on. "What's going on with you today? You've been moody from the minute you woke up." I traced the split lip lightly, thinking how he'd just barely gotten rid of the bruises from our last run-in with The Order.

I hated to see him hurt, though I wasn't sure what caused me more pain—when he was hurt physically, or when his soul ached with frustration.

"You can tell me whatever it is, you know that."

Nate's eyes stayed closed as he pressed a chaste kiss to my neck; a smile would've shown up if I wasn't so worried. My fingers brushed his hairline carefully. He was so wrapped up against my body it was hard to tell we were two separate people.

"Why did you punch Aric?" Contrary to all the other times, Nate's shoulders didn't tense when I spoke of his half-brother. "And don't say it's because he pisses you off, today that doesn't cut it." My voice wasn't stern, but I did want to know the true reason.

I blinked leaning my ear closer to his lips.

"What?" I combed his hair breezily.

"I... miss... I miss my Mom." Well... that was unexpected. In our history of sharing-and-sobbing moments there hadn't been something as awkward as this. He missed his Mom—he had that right. But him admitting it was weirder than aliens landing in Roswell. "Today was the day she left," his arm finally moved to encircle my waist. "I guess it's the day she died, too."

Oh. That's why he hit Aric, he blamed him all the way for what happened to their Mother. It made the subject less strange.

"You could've told me earlier. We could've spent today alone if you wanted, Phoenix is still going to be there. It wouldn't make a difference if we got there tomorrow, a week from now—"

"The longer we take to get there, the longer you'll be in danger. Those criminal evidences are more important." Nate loosened his hold on my body, something he rarely did—only when he was exhausted—and laid his head on the pillow. "Thank you," he whispered screwing his eyes a little more, sleep itched across the exotic face.

I lowered beside him, keeping a fair distance sensing he wanted a bit of space.

"For what?" I breathed in his cinnamon scent. "Huh," I sighed quietly as Nate remained asleep like a tired out five year old who'd hung out in the park for too long.

Nathaniel was tired and sleeping. Hurray for him, 'cuz I was was wide awake. It didn't take long to go outside for some fresh air. When I slipped from the bedroom I crossed the living room, and spotted my best friend tangled in white sheets—but no half-brother.

I peeked outside the motel's door, seeing his back. I closed the door, careful not to lock it. Aric shifted on the railing.

"Thinking about suicide?" I teased as he glanced over a shoulder.

His eyes were shadowed by the darkness of his hair, his skin illuminated by the moonlight beam, making its golden color much paler.

"I'm afraid I find life too interesting." He looked to the front once I leaned my arms on it. "Even if I was planning on jumping," Aric nodded downwards. "We're two floors up I'd break a leg at the most."

"Right, and that's nothing for you, Super-man." I shared a tight lipped smile.

A pregnant pause later, I saw him exhale, leaning his dark head on the poll.

"What's your excuse for being out here?" I inquired, wondering if Aric even remembered what day it was.

"Insomnia," he mumbled closed off.

"I hear milk's a great remedy for that." I pointed out determined to make small talk, there was so much I wanted to know.

"I'm not a big fan of milk, luv." The reply had its usual dosage of Australian accent but lacked on the tease, the aliveness of his velvet voice—he wasn't having a good night either.

In retrospect...

"Two things," I mumbled forgetting he was perched on the rail.

"Huh?" he looked to me.

Should I tell him? Not like he showed any interest in knowing his brother at all. That bugged me because... Well, because Nate had one remaining living relative and he was an asshole—Why didn't Aric care?

"I know two things you and Nate have in common now," Aric was watching the close-by highway. "You love cars and dislike milk." My fingers walked over the railing playfully. "Oh, and it's one more thing we disagree on. I love milk."

He graced me with a laugh then.

"Let's just agree to disagree." I would've smiled if he hadn't turned somewhat serious. "What's your sleeping disorder? Sleepwalking?"

"Nope, I'm just not tired." I stretched my arms above my head, breathing out a sigh of pure contentment. "I came here for some fresh air." Another moment in silence drove me to nibble at my lip. "Aric...?"

His vibrant irises fell on me. I felt under a microscope.

"Huh... can I ask you some questions? It's about..."

"Our relatives?" He suggested when I couldn't seem to fit them in the 'family' category. I nodded slowly. "Sure, ask away." My older brother conceded calmly. It felt so strange to think of him as my brother...

"Riley and Nolan are our siblings, right?" He nodded. "They have... our Father?"

"Yes," Aric crossed his arms firmly. "Remember when I said there were a few indiscretions my Mum found out about?" It was my time to nod. "Well, she found out our Father was having an affair with a woman inside The Order. So, she quit. Since she was from one of the founding families she could. She divorced Vincent and went her way." There was a lower tone to his voice. "A few months later Riley and Nolan were born."

I blinked.

"They were both... they're twins?" Aric sighed. "That's why they look so much alike." I tapped my chin softy. "You grew up with them, then?"

"I did," he answered simply. "Until I got smart and bolted." I studied his profile a little longer until I decided not to ask how it had been—growing up in The Order. It didn't seem right to ask, not tonight.

"What happened to their Mother?" I mentioned the M word trying to gain some other reaction from him that wasn't stunned calmness.

"She's dead," he stated. Why wasn't I surprised? "Not like it matters to them. Vincent always knew how to buy their souls."

"But not yours...?" I couldn't imagine Aric being bribed into doing something he didn't want, not as a kid or an adult.

"I always had a mind of my own. I did the thinking for myself—still do." He cracked his neck loudly and I grimaced slightly. His eyes happened to fall on me, they were as green as ever. "What do you really want to talk about, Melissa?" He drove his fingers into the black mop hair, pushing it backward stylishly.

My lips pressed for a moment.

"I wanted to thank you," I was half-expecting an eyebrow to perk. "For getting Nate out of there? I know he's not going to say it, so, on his behalf: thank-you."

Aric's arms had goosebumps all over, still, he showed no inclination of going back inside.

"And I'm sorry that he punched you, too. That was uncalled for." I said, basically giving away that I knew something was up.

"He told you," He whispered scratching the side of his neck absently. "About our Mum." Aric finished squaring his shoulders slightly. I leaned away from beside him when he jumped from the rail onto the floor. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"She was your Mom, I'm sorry for what happened to her." My eyes were soft when meeting his for what felt like the first time since finding out we were related. There was this small tilt of his head, and a parting of his lips, like he was trying to find some word he didn't know. "You lost her, too." My lips stilled into a deep line when he brushed a wayward strand off my cheek.

"Has anyone ever told you, you care too much?" Aric's lips curved.

I rolled my eyes in a heartfelt way.

"It's in my nature, deal with it." I sighed softly leaning on the post. "I'm sure you can do it. You're so smart."

"I am," He agreed drawing a faint smirk. "So nice of you to notice, luv. I just find it hard to believe it took you so long to figure out."

"Well, it could've been worse, I mean, great geniuses normally get recognition after their deaths—like Einstein. You're lucky, if you think about it." This time I cracked a smirk of my own, sarcastic and happy.

We remained in silence a bit longer until I managed to get the words out. "I had fun," He frowned. "When we were together, I had fun with you. Even if you were constantly pissing me off—I swear, sometimes it's like you talk in riddles, or backwards like Yoda." Aric's face crumbled as he burst out laughing, I started softly then grew louder. I tried to contain it not wanting anyone to hear us. "No—but I'm serious. I did have good time." I twisted my fingers behind my back. "Also... I might have overreacted when I found out you and I are related. It's not your fault what he did."

"I know that." He affirmed in a soft, but certain tone.

I swayed back and forth feeling a little awkward, I was definitely catching Nate's decease of sharing.

"I think you were being a good brother, even if I didn't actually know that we were siblings." I bit my inferior lip, hugging my arms when a breeze came around. "I get why you don't like Riley and Nolan, because they stayed with Vincent and followed his ideals... I don't understand why you don't like Nate." I refrained from using the word 'hate'.

Secretly, I hoped it wasn't that bad.

Aric's tranquil breathing seemed to boost. His jaw hardened as he leaned on the wall, being bathed in shadows.

"Look," he began. "I let him get away with a free punch today because of two things: He helped me get out of the freezer and today's the day our Mum vanished—the day she died. That's what it was. I don't have any desire to form family bonds with him."

"Okay," I nodded my head. "Why did you pull him out of the fight, though?" I took an innocent step forward trying to convey the emotions in his eyes.

There was shifting in his leaning pose; the anger he was attempting to sketch onto his expression wasn't fooling me. I tried not to show a little grin at the realization of something else about them.

"What?" He asked guarded as I stifled a chuckle.

I wiped the mirth from my face, "Oh nothing," I shrugged shortly. "I just realized something, that's all." I yawned. "I'm turning in for the night—" I pushed the parted door, looking over my shoulder. "Are you coming?"

Aric nodded his black head, following. His gaze trailed my every move until I mumbled a 'good night' and disappeared into the bedroom.

I tucked myself beside Nathaniel, leaving him with some space.

These two were more alike than they thought.

***

"I wuv you!" I baby-talked looping my arms around Nate's muscled torso.

Cool hands draped over mine, more than welcome in Phoenix's blazing heat.

"What's gotten into you?" I felt his body resound with chuckles. "And, no offense, Mel, but it's too hot for us to be this close."

I made a face but knew he was right. I could feel sweat trickling down my back as we spoke. Well that sucked. I'd just taken a shower.

"I wanted to ask for something—and I'll wuv you even more if you say yes." I taunted by nuzzling the side of my face into his back. "Can we eat Mexican instead of diner food?" Before he gave an answer, I hurried to make sure he couldn't say 'no'. "I know we have to keep a low profile, get the evidence my parents left me and take them to D.C. but I it's Phoenix and Mexican food is really popular here—"

My hands were unlocked as he spun, looking down to me. An easy smile took up my feautures as my shoulders drew in innocently.

"Yes,"

"Really?" I leaned on the balls of my feet; a ten-year old in a themed birthday party wouldn't be happier.

He nodded tracing a thumb over my cheek, "I can't have my girl going around saying she was in Phoenix and didn't have a taste of its Mexican food. What kind of boyfriend would I be?"

Nathaniel smirked softly when my arms didn't hesitate to wrap him up anew. His hands glided down my shoulders despite the heat.

"Why did you think I was going to say no?"

"Because of what I already said, we shouldn't be hanging around wasting time and because money's low."

"I think we can spare an hour and thirty bucks on a meal." My heart beat faster, my chest heaved as a chaste kiss was delivered onto my lips. "Just don't go around saying... that."

My brows furrowed, "What?"

Nate tilted his head to one side pursing his lips.

"That," he muttered with emphasize.

"Oh!" I patted his chest. "That I wuv you?"

"Yes," he sat on the near end of bed. "It sounds creepy."

"Aww, you're adowable," I high-pitched my voice purposely. His expression became sulkish. His eyes slitted and I giggled settling my knees on either side of his legs, sitting on his lap. "I love you," my lips whispered taking Nathaniel's chin between my hands.

"Hmm," he moaned finding my mouth, tongue playing over my lips, asking for entrance. I allowed it. Hands were about to crawl under his freshly washed T-shirt—

"I'm hungry! What are you guys doing in there? Babies?" Anna's question made me sputter, breaking contact with Nate.

Placing my palm on his broad shoulders I looked over mine.

"We're going!" When I faced my boyfriend he rolled his eyes. "We'll have lots of time when we're in the clear. Promise," I kissed him. "We should go now, though. Anna hates waiting if we don't get out there she'll just come barging in."

With all the heat assaulting the last days of May, Anna wasn't too thrilled when Nate drove us to the nearest Mexican restaurant. Aric didn't seem to mind, staying quiet through the chips and guacamole to the crispy tacos.

I think he wanted to do anything but eat at this point. I understood him to an extent. He wanted to get back at his Father for all the things he'd done—especially killing his Mother, I imagined. I wanted to get this over with so I could breathe safely again, go back to New York and... repeat my sophomore year at Columbia. That one truly bit me in the ass. I ended up losing a whole year.

Thinking of New York and College made my eyes linger on Nate, thinking about how things were going to be once...

"Have you read the next clue or whatever?" Anna's fingers pattered against the table top.

"Huh, another address..." I managed to get out after kissing Nate, smiling into his lips. "And a riddle to boost." I pushed him a little from my side, turning towards my best friend—my hand batted Nate's when he tried to pull me onto him again. I couldn't stop smiling. "We can go over there now," I said swinging my legs under the table. "Aric?"

Our eyes fell to him when there was no reaction. I frowned—Aric's body jumped beside Ann. Emerald met brandy, we watched.

"She's talking to you," Nate grunted and there was no evidence of his good mood.

Aric's jaw tightened and I think I heard something like 'you're asking for it'.

"What?" his dark hair fell to forward as he leaned from the window pane.

"How's The Order's influence here?" my mood still sparkled.

His attention had already been swept away, again. God, what was he so captivated by?

Following my half-brother's gaze I saw a girl getting a dress into the back of her car. Suddenly, Anna's hand flickered Aric's shoulder. It worked.

"Stop gawking." She gritted.

Aric parted his lips and I swore I knew what he was about to say, but it died, going unspoken.

"She looks familiar," he tapped a finger on the glass. "I've seen her before..." his eyes narrowed slightly.

I couldn't keep from leaning in—over Nate's lap—to eye the tall female. To my surprise her face wasn't a stranger to me either.

"I think I know her, too..." Nate's hands slid up my waist, shifting me to a better position. "I think she's... she's that girl from the photo."

"What photo?" Anna held her head in both hands, disinterested.

"The one in Tommy's apartment." Aric completed with a refreshed memory. "What exactly did you do to him?" he questioned Nate neutrally.

Oh no... Those had been the worst fifteen minutes of my life. Watching Nate...

"I grabbed him, tied him up and threatened to throw him off the skyscraper" He shrugged nonchalantly. "He gave me the address so I let him go.."

"Maybe she lives here," Anna's suggestion was the most obvious. If she was with The Order she'd be trying to murder us instead of picking up dry-cleaning.

Then why did she spare the Mexican restaurant a glance before driving off? Or was the heat getting to me?

"It's weird though," I couldn't stop myself. "Chicago's pretty far from here."

"There's a thing called long distance." Nate offered stretching his arms having lost interest along with Anna.

"I don't believe in those," I shared quietly.

"Yeah. That's why you and Parker broke up in the first place." Anna added distracted. I gave her a wide glare. She dropped the straw she'd been playing with. "Huh... whoops?"

Parker was taboo in more ways than one. I didn't want to think of the repercussions back home. His family was probably devastated.

Pacey...

Nate's fingers brushed my leg softening the thoughts and pain the name brought up. I gave him a thankful look.

"You've got more important things to deal with here," Nate began. "Like getting the evidence."

I nodded.

***

We arrived at the address by nightfall. Turned out it was in the outskirts of Phoenix.

The building was old, appearing to have survived an earthquake—maybe a hail of fire—some parts of it, anyway. The outline seemed of an old school; the field around us it was bare soil, no green life for miles.

We poured into the spooky place—Anna and I got the scare of our lives when a light flickered above our heads. Our feet refused to walk forward and our yelps of fear were only abashed by the laughter behind us.

Turning our backs to the end of the broken down hallway, we faced the boys. It was hard to believe they were both laughing at us.

"You guys are jerks." She shook with fury, seeing Aric's fingers still lingering on the light panel. "You couldn't have warned us?"

"Now, what would be the fun in that?" Aric smirked closing it.

Nathaniel strained his face into a more serious expression, approaching me. I backed away flipping my hair into his face.

"Mel," he whined so only I could hear. I rolled my eyes at the level of immaturity.

I knew he was trailing closely, and by now, so were Aric and Anna. I didn't give Nate the light of day, though. We were inside a building that should've been blown to bits in the last century, and they were playing pranks.

It would be so funny if the ceiling collapsed.

I blinked, understanding I was worrying for his sake. Closed-off spaces and Nate didn't walk hand-in-hand. I remembered seeing the first hint of panic months earlier, when we were at the mine. He'd looked vulnerable and terrified; all I'd wanted to do was get him out safely. Afterwards, we started tolerating each other. I'd shown respect for his fear and he'd become more flexible when it came to dealing with me.

From my eye corner, I saw him. Trailing behind me quietly, stealing fleeting glances, maybe trying to catch my gaze.

If he needed me I was right here. He knew that.

"Look for red panels in the walls." I called over my shoulder.

"How did you figure that out?"

"I just did, now keep alert."

Look for the color of your fear.

Blood was red, therefore, we had to be looking for red panels—our careful steps saved us from falling into a dark death.

And there it was. Between us and the wall, the red square mocked us. How were we going to get it open? There was a hole where the ground had caved in, leading down into debris amongst darkness.

My hands curled into fists as I glared darkly at the only smudge of color around. We couldn't jump because there was no where to stand—no small ledge—just a wall.

The clang of metal made my head spin to the side.

"Nate?" I called with an arch of my eyebrows.

Nathaniel heaved chains from the floor looking up at the ceiling with calculating eyes. I saw a shinning circlet. It looked new—store bought. At second glance, so did the chains. Nate stood to full height and made the chains go through the metal hook.

"I think you're a little far from it, Sherlock." Anna commented as my boyfriend tugged the metal links.

"Have a bit of faith," he said with a devilish smirk. "I'm awesome, right Mel?" his eyes moved from the holder on the ceiling to me.

I kept glancing down into what appeared to be a hole that had no end.

"You're supposed to agree, not to look like I already failed."

Aric pulled me from the edge, I didn't stop him. Then I was staring at Nate's broad back. He looked back once, before climbing a decent height on the chain, swinging it with the help of his body towards the red square.

He neared it the first time, kicking out hesitantly, making sure he could secure himself with only the help of his hands. We watched as he swung backward then forth, sending another determined kick to the plastic. It went on for a while. Though, somewhere along all the tries, a noise that hadn't existed before showed up.

We figured it was the metal of the chain-links grounding into each other, or maybe the hoop and chains.

Nate's foot lashed out twice more, with accuracy, and the red lid fell down, miraculously. Our ears kept alert for a clang, sure enough there was one after a minute.

I swallowed dryly returning my gaze to Nathaniel's dangling-self. He was almost home free, all that was left to do... was press down the lever.

"Be careful," I whispered, feeling my palms sweating with nervousness.

He slid more and more down the chains, nearly at the limit. Holding the chain between his legs now—like when you had to climb the rope in PE—Nate held on with only one hand, reaching out with the other one. His fingers stretched to their fullest, he wanted to make the white bar go down so badly—! I could see some veins standing out from the effort his muscles were being put through.

"I can't reach it," he grunted lowly, gaze shifting to us. "Give me a push."

Aric was the only one with arms long enough to reach Nate's position—if he stood near the margin.

Aric tipped his head upward, "I don't think that's such a good—"

"Can you just do it? I'm getting tired of standing over a danger zone."

With a short shake of his head, my new found brother stepped up—Anna grabbed the back of his jacket probably making sure he didn't fall into the abyss below. I could swear there was a smirk over his round shoulder to her. Aric placed a palm to Nate's back hurdling him towards the handle.

His fingers curled on it.

Two things went down. The lever and Nate.

The hook on the ceiling came loose—that noise... it had come from the hook!

Too many things happened at once. I cried out—Aric lurched forward—a booming shook the whole building.

I wouldn't care if the ground was ripping itself open, though. I went to the edge wide-eyed, breath choking my lungs.

"I said it was a bad idea..." Aric heaved, hoisting Nate by the arm.

I fell to the ground where they were all kneeling.

"Don't you ever get tired of being right?" Nate replied, his sarcastic tone could be dully noted under the fast breathing.

I didn't know if I should hug him or slap him.

"Hey," he jerked from my side as my hand iced his cheek. "What was that for?"

Next, I buried my face in the space between his neck and shoulder, embracing him. Once he grew out of his stupor, strong arms wrapped me.

"For being an idiot who doesn't think things through." I whispered with a flare of pain, thinking of what would've happened if Aric hadn't caught him on time.

Hands rubbed my back, I could picture a soft smile as he hid his own face in my hair.

"I'm alright, though. Nothing bad happened." He kissed my head. "Besides, I always wondered if I could fly this would've been a good way to test out my theory—" He released a huff as my elbow dug into his side.

"Huh, I hate to break this heartfelt moment," Anna's voice carried out to us. "But you should see this."

Pulling from the floor, my eyes met a set of attic-folding-stairs. They were sturdy, made from heavy wood. They'd caused the boom.

"That's what the handle was for?" Nate dusted himself, stretching his arms and rolling his shoulders back and forth. "Smart," he conceded walking towards the stairs.

Me and Anna shared a glance when both boys appeared eager to climb the stairway. Everyone knew going up into an attic—inside a place with windy noises, cobwebs and broken glass—was a bad idea.

"Oi," Aric called, leaning on the steps. Nate was already poking his head into the higher level. "Come on."

Me and Anna locked gazes again.

"You clearly never watched Rec." Anna stated crossing her arms, walking with heavy strides towards them.

I followed with a fast beating heart.

Nate's European-mixed features were graced with a smug smile.

"If you're afraid of monsters why the hell do you watch those movies?"

I rolled my eyes, not having time for this. We were twelve steps away from getting our hands on what The Order had chased after for months!

"Does that matter right now?" I snapped.

He snorted going up the rest of the stairs, disappearing. Aric nodded, allowing me passage, each step I took felt heavy, like I was wearing cement boots. When I crossed into the higher level, I could barely see anything. A dim glow was coming from what looked like a high-tech safe built into the wall. The space around us was very shallow, small—cramped. When we were all standing there it only made it worse.

I laced my hand with Nathaniel's without glimpsing at his face. Immediately, I felt his pulse going down, calming, due our proximity. His fingers grew a little stronger around mine every once in a while.

"We should've brought a flashlight." Anna gestured around the closed off attic. "There are no windows here. What are we supposed to do?"

"Open that safe, I'd say." Aric walked over to it.

"If we could see anything..." She grumbled studying it from where she stood.

When Aric tried pulling open the heavy door, nothing happened. It was expected. But there was a flare of light and a shining came from a clavier, except... there didn't seem to be any keys to type into.

Aric crouched.

What happened next was straight out of a high-tech security scene. A laser scanner moved up and down Aric's eye, making him close it a little.

Soon, the panel flashed the word 'denied'.

"It's a iris scanner. It identifies a person by their unique retinal patterns." Nate shared softly.

I abused my bottom lip, "So... this door won't open if it's not programmed to recognize any of our eyes or... something?" I whispered feeling out of my element.

"Basically," Aric got back up looking to us. "It should open with you, though. Your parents led you here, they wanted you to find the evidence..." He trailed off with a simple shrug knowing the rest was unnecessary to mention.

Right, it made sense. It all came down to this. I was the only person able to open this thing. With a gentle squeeze, Nate allowed our hands to part. There was a mute stare between me and him, only the tips of our fingers were brushing.

Nate's eyes were dark, exactly like the first time I'd seen them. But there were no traces of that cold smile he'd appreciated my pain with. The lines on his face attempted to relax despite the small place we found ourselves in, and with a short, concealed swallow I knew what he meant. There was no need to speak the words. They echoed on their own:

I'm here for you no matter what happens. Always.

With a short nod I bent my head to the scanners level, making sure my eye stayed open during the procedure, no matter how annoying it was.

My breath caught, I stepped back when the flashing word changed to 'recognized'.

***

I sat on the hood of Nate's Mustang looking up at the stars. We were outside of the abandoned building, had been for quite some time. We were spending tonight here. Nathaniel was stetting up the tent and Aric and Anna...

I glanced their way. They were talking—or Aric was, anyway. It was a record for them, going without fighting for so long. I didn't mind—I actually welcomed peace. It was all I wanted even if it were for a small time span.

My finger traced the flash-drive in my hand. This was what got my life so screwed up. A piece of technology that contained criminal proof against one of the biggest organizations yet.

We'd checked the contents as soon as we got back, using Nate's laptop. There were endless files—I wondered how long it had taken my parents to gather all of it.

I sighed, thinking of how getting revenge on Vincent had been the only thing leading my Mother all those years. She had trusted me with her life's work, in a way, and I wanted nothing more than fulfill it. My Mom had believed I'd be able to follow through, or she would never have sent me on this hunt. I understood it now.

The information Aric wanted was in here, too. It was part of the evidence against his Father—our Father. Though, there were very slim chances of getting him behind bars. There was criminal proof against lots of members—but Vincent King's file was the emptiest one.

I wondered what was going to happen now. I mean, the hard part seemed over. We had the info, we'd... won. Soon, I was going back to New York—home.

A strong arm wrapped my shoulders, leaned me to the right and soon my head was resting on a very familiar shoulder. He smiled down at me like I was the only person in the world that mattered and my eyes marveled the magnetic attraction between us.

"Tent's set up," He said as I placed the flash-drive into my jean's pocket.

"I figured, since you're here. You never get distracted when you're working." My hand smoothed the fabric of his T-shirt. "It's kinda scary sometimes."

"It's all part of my charm," Nate boosted proudly, then dragged me over his lap, placing me between his legs. "What were you thinking about?" Both arms rounded my slim frame.

I allowed myself the luxury of leaning into his chest, eyes closed, enjoying the security Nathaniel brought on.

"About going home," I confessed in a whisper. "I used to want to travel, see what else was there besides New York. Now... now I'm ready to go home, shower and sleep in my bed." I laughed and he bundled me tighter against him. "It's funny how things change..."

Nate's cheek brushed mine, "Was that the only thing?"

The touch of insecurity in that deep voice of his made me part my eyelids. I lifted a hand to his face taking in the softness of my boyfriend's skin.

"No," I moved it down to his stubble, racking my fingernails across it, softly. "I thought about us," Somehow my own voice came out smaller, shakier, only because this was a matter we had yet to discuss.

I bit my lip, staring intently into what poets called 'windows to the soul'.

"What's going to happen...? I mean, I know you're going to quit... right?" he nodded pecking my hand. "But you live in San Diego... and... I would never ask you to move to New York. You have your whole life there, it's where you like to live." I remembered Anna saying you didn't have to live in California to be a member of the Hive. So, if Nathaniel stuck around it was because he enjoyed it. How could I ask him to leave a place that made him happy?

I couldn't.

"You're right. I work hard." His statement made me frown. "But," he parted my hair at the nape by nuzzling his way to the skin. I shivered at the radiating pleasure. "I can also be very lazy. And that's exactly what I was when I picked a place to live. I didn't really care where it was. You could say I threw a dart at a globe." He snorted a laugh. "The thing is, I don't care where I live. All the things I do in San Diego I can do in New York. That's not what I care about." All of a sudden a moan made it past my lips, as Nate's teeth ran over my skin—he ended the tease with a kiss, leaning our cheeks once more. "I'm happy if I'm with you. You're in New York, so, I'll be happy in New York."

My eyes gawked at him, "Nate—"

"Mel," he brushed a thumb over my lips. "Don't." He instructed in a strict face that fell apart quickly. "For once somethings easy in our relationship—don't complicate it. It is what it is. I meant what I just said. Go with it, okay?"

His brandy eyes bored into mine with truthfulness and good intentions written all over. He meant what he said. My heart swelled like every other time he said something amazingly out of character.

I chewed my lip, and, at long last, a genuine smile broke through the ranks.

"Who knew you were capable of being this romantic." I played with a wavy strand while bringing our faces closer and closer.

"I wasn't—until I met you." His kisses never disappointed me, and this one wasn't any different. Promising the world and then some. "Don't tell anyone though, I'd hate to kill you." He grinned joking.

Wrapping an arm around his neck, I kept him close.

"Don't ever do something so stupid." I didn't need to elaborate, he knew I meant his heroic idea of pushing the lever. "Nate?" I asked when he sighed frustrated, eyes darting to the ground, then back to me. "What?"

He was mauling over the best way of telling me something. I could tell. And if he wasting his time doing that sort of thing it could only mean one thing...

"There's something I want to do, but you're not going to like." This time he didn't break out a smile or even a smirk. He was all business. "Not at all."
♠ ♠ ♠
"Let it go,
Let it roll right off your shoulder
Don't you know
The hardest part is over
Let it in,
Let your clarity define you
In the end
We will only just remember how it feels"
- Rob Thomas

It's been a while, I hope you like this :)

Comment?