‹ Prequel: Red Petals
Sequel: Final Curtain
Status: TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdj2NFsfkxk

Storm Brew

Chapter 9

We drove until we reached Georgia. There were no stops—not for food, not for bathroom breaks—nothing. We just drove in complete silence. Anna was sitting in my regular seat since Nate was sprawled on the backseat—I was driving, obviously. We had to speak loudly since Nate's ears were buzzing... Anna said it would pass soon. I couldn't believe how calm I was—driving swiftly through one of Georgia's roads. Parker was dead and I was calm. No, I couldn't believe that, this wasn't calmness. This was another feeling—one I'd felt once before but for another reason. I was feeling numb. My feelings were flat, my heart was frigid each time I thought: Parker blew up.

Nate told us what happened. He explained how Parker was standing on a pressure plate—and how it would trigger a bomb if he moved. There were no Order members around, he didn't see anyone but Parker—but he'd asked him where they were, Parker couldn't say he was freaked and... and pleading Nate not to let him die. Nathaniel told him to stop crying, begging because he was risking triggering the trap. He moved, though. Would've Nate been able to disarm the bomb? What if he got stuck along with Parker when it blew up? I glanced to the review mirror catching the glimpse I wanted, of Nate with his head against the window pane... staring at the back of my head. I wondered how long that had been going on, I hadn't felt observed. I'd been concentrating on the road ahead.
Anna poked my shoulder.

"Hum?" I slowly distanced my eyes from the review to her.

"Eyes on the road, I don't trust you with a car..." Anna nodded with certainty. "I still remember when you crashed Pacey's car one year ago."

"I didn't crash it... I bumped into a pole."

Anna's green eyes rolled.

"It broke and fell over the car." She said with stoicism. "I don't get how Nate lets you drive but not me."

Well, he didn't know about my misadventure which in my defense had been an accident. I was rushing to Starbucks—I wouldn't survive Mr. Richards' class, otherwise. That day, I ended up not needing my vanilla latte I missed class while waiting for the toe-track. Pacey never loaned me his car again—he vowed not to.

"He doesn't know does he?" She whispered leaning over to me.

"Nope." I grinned with a shake of my head.

When we snuck a look at the back we saw Nate frowning slightly, like he was wondering what we were conspiring. Good thing he was "deaf" or he'd never let me drive his baby again.

"So this is what your parents left you?" Anna waved the map and clue sheet—carefully—in the same hand, I nodded. "And we're following this map...?" I nodded dumbly. "Okay, I love treasure hunts." She shrugged. "Oh look!"

I think even Nate heard her exclamation because his head darted to where she was pointing—he scowled.

"It's just McDonald's." I tapped a finger on the wheel. "Let me guess, you want to get food?"

"Duh, I'm starving." Anna's stomach made a very un-lady like sound right on time. "See? That was code for 'cheeseburger'."

My hair whipped back and forth as I shook my head with disbelieve, only Anna could take my mind away from the guilt I was feeling.

"Well, I wouldn't want to angry your stomach." I took a right going for the drive-through.

While we were waiting in line I twisted around facing Nathaniel. I found his eyes quickly, like they'd been looking for mine even before I'd turned. For seconds we simply stared. Those delicious looking eyes of his burned as usual. Beneath his right eye was a smudge of ash or something equally black.

"You have—" I was going to tell him then remembered he couldn't hear unless I yelled—it wasn't something I was fond of doing. I took my notebook out of the bag, opening it in a fresh page writing what I'd been about to say and handed it to him.

Nate blinked once before grinning, looking at me through hooded eyes... it sent chills up my spine, good chills.

"Thanks." His voice was louder due the fact he couldn't hear himself, I shook my head softly.

"Mel it's our turn, come on I'm starving!"

I waved at Nate with a silly pout sliding back into driver's position. I moved the car to the order window. I asked for Anna's cheeseburger, medium fries and a cola—Nate didn't say anything so my guess, he wasn't hungry. I could hear him brood as Anna ate her lunch, he was afraid she'd mess up the seats. Ha, something's never changed.

"Don't drop any food onto the seats." I warned. "He'll toss your food out the window." Maybe her food wasn't the only thing he'd throw out...

"Whatever makes Mr. Suicidal happy." She did a salute to me.

I was glad Anna joined us, it was hard to believe it had only been yesterday. I had told her about Aric—her reaction wasn't what I was hoping for. She didn't freak like Nate did when I first told him. She told me off, telling me to be careful and shook her head—then said he sounded hot… so that might have been the reason for the more peaceful reaction. Whatever the reason, though, it felt good telling her about Aric and what he'd done. There was no way I was ready to hear Nate yell and most probably storm off—again—because I'd been reckless in seeking out Aric for help. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind before but… could he have had something to do with Parker's death? They clearly wanted to take out Nate, they knew he wouldn't let me walk in with him. If he died, all they had to do was take me—though, now we had Anna but they didn't know. Aric had been the one seeking out Parker in hopes of finding me, and he'd threatened Pacey… Not everyone is what they seem. My brain was never going to let me forget that one. It was true. Nate thought no one from the Hive could have killed my parents and, in the end, it had been his sister. He didn't think she'd betray her own, but she had. I wondered if my parents knew Drew would be capable of it, I don't think I'd ever find out.

***

I groaned tangling my fingers in my russet hair. Why couldn't I get anywhere with this stupid riddle? I'd been staring at it for one whole day, just sitting in the middle of the bed scribbling down on my notebook—all of it led me to nonsense. I wanted to flush the damn thing down the toilet, like that would lit a bulb atop of my head. We'd been in Georgia for two days. Anna wasn't helping me solve this, she was as patient as Nate was… which meant zero patience level. Nate hadn't been around me for the last days, he hung outside our motel room—pacing, smoking, watching the weather—who knew. He would go out to get food, leaving Anna in charge, when he came back he ate quietly not even telling Anna to shut up, and then he'd relax on bed reading until he fell asleep. I think his behavior had something to do with the fact that Parker had died—somehow he thought he was responsible. I'd have to talk to him soon. I hated when he was closed off from me. It was next on my list after I deciphered this thing…

Right now, Anna was in the room next to ours doing God-knows-what on Nate's computer. Did Nathaniel lend it to her? Nope. Did she take it without him knowing? Yes.

As for Nate, he was…

I lifted my eyes surveying the room. No Nate. He must be outside, I thought. Sometimes he was so quiet it was hard to keep track of him. The ball of my pen tapped onto the paper, back to work… A person who knew their history and knew other people's pasts… stalkers? Tax collectors…?

"Can't think?"

My head jerked so fast I think a muscle sprained in my neck. There was no one. I took an intake breath. Fertile imagination was a bitch sometimes. That had really sounded like…

"Makes sense, you know…" My eyes widened as I stared at the notebook, that voice… "Guilty conscious and all," Okay, stay calm there's no one in this room other than you. I closed my eyes, lifting my head as I drew a breath. Then I opened them… and God I wanted to scream but it felt like my vocal cords had been torn out. "Surprise, surprise." I stared open mouthed.

"Drew…?" I whispered with choked, utter disbelieve.

"Missed me?" The Hollywood-lips I'd known where drawn into that twisted and cruel smirk. If her lips weren't red before… the blood staining her lower one sure accentuated it—blood was dried on her chin, down her neck… My eyes fell to her chest. Three bullet holes, bloody clothes—the same she'd been wearing when I'd…

"You're not here, not really…" I said breathlessly. "I'm dreaming…"

That had to be it. It was the only explanation. It wasn't the first time I dreamed of something so twisted, normally, I dreamed about killing, though.

"No, I'm not." She hung her head. "But… are you sure you're dreaming?"

Of course. I had to be… I must have dozed off and... This seemed so vivid, though. But ghosts weren't real, they weren't.

"You're not here… you're dead." I refused.

"What tipped you off?" She took a step towards the bed. "The bullet wounds, the blood… or the fact that you killed me?" Drew's teeth-stained-blood showed.
I didn't feel it—I waited for it, the nausea, dizziness… I didn't feel any of it. There was no fear. Blood was staring back at me and I felt… normal. This had to be a dream, it had to.

"Go away," I said, willing her away with all my strength. "Go away," I forced, when she didn't disappear.

Drew's laugh was scary. She looked pale as paper, aside from the dark clothes, her blood was the only thing I could sort out.

"I can't." She licked along her lips, no blood went away. "I'm going to hang around you until you die. A reminder of what you've become…" I slid off bed circling it, trying to put distance between us—carefully. Her sky eyes followed—they were vacant, though, just like when I shot her.

"I haven't become anything." I whispered swallowing thickly. "It… it was self-defense."

Drew cooed mockingly like she'd done that day.

"Was that what he told you?" I blinked tilting my head back. "Nate told you it was self-defense, didn't he? He just doesn't want to say it to you—" I gasped worthlessly as she zoomed to me. "He doesn't want to admit it—admit that you're a killer now."

"No," I shook my head. "No—that's not true. It was—"

"Self-defense." She rolled her eyes. "Now, Melissa, we both know that's an excuse. You're just afraid to see it—you've changed. Parker's dead, isn't he?" I nodded unsure why I did it. "Then why didn't you cry one single tear? You were his friend, weren't you?" I breathed faster, it was true I hadn't cried— "He died because of you. You didn't even care…" Drew came closer and I cocked my head to the side. "Just like a killer."

I turned around flinging the door open—it crashed into the room's wall. I didn't care, though. I just had to get away. I just had to get rid of her—

"You can't run Melissa." I heard her clack behind me.

"Go away." I gritted whirling in every direction, desperate to see someone who wasn't a dead person. Drew was in front of me then.

"You can't outrun yourself." She whispered gleefully.

I closed my eyes tightly.

"Go—"

"Mel?" I heard the deep timber. "Hey, you okay?" Hands fell to my arms, I was being turned around.

My eyes peeled tentatively, sure enough, what I was seeing were brandy irises burning intensely—not blue-sky vacant ones.

"You're shaking." He pointed out brushing his fingers along my arms, until his hands latched softly onto my elbows. "What's wrong?"

I wasn't dreaming. I was standing right here with Nate—just before, Drew had been here. I hadn't been sleeping… ghosts didn't exist but…

"I'm… tired." I husked dazed.

Smoothly, the edge of his index finger traced a half circle under my eye.

"You look like it, too." Nate scowled briefly, and then he sighed. "Have you been sleeping?"

Not really.

"A few hours." I just closed my eyes most of the time, other times I watched him sleep. "I'm just tired…" I repeated.

Nate nodded thinking I was talking to him, I wasn't though. I was assuring myself. Hallucinations plagued people who were sleep deprived, even more, people who had a heavy consciousness or a conflicted brain—right now, I was all three if not more.

"That riddle's killing you." He pecked my forehead. "Come on, let's get you to bed."

It was so good when Nate was sweet and attentive—not distant and…

"I was still his sister." I cringed into his chest. "No matter what he says, no matter what he does… he loved me. Ask him, you've been dying to."

"Leave me alone." I whispered.

"What?" Nate's voice reached my ears.

I looked up to his gorgeous face where one of his eyebrows was arched.

"I… it's the middle of the afternoon, Nate." I managed softly.

He gave a shake of his head.

"You have black holes under your eyes—" Jeez that was exaggerating. "You need sleep." I got back into our room, Nate closed the door then led me to bed.

I went to grab the things from its middle—notebook, pen—he was faster. He gave me an expectant look, I pouted slightly—part of me felt I was back in kindergarten, because of the naps in the afternoon—another part of me saw how rational all this was. I took off my Converse and crawled to the middle of the bed. Nate bent, pressing a kiss to my lips—

"Stay with me." I asked when he pulled away. "Please, Nate."

Nathaniel was conflicted—eying the door to the outside then me. He wanted to stay, I could see it.

"I…"

"I know," This was about Parker. "I don't blame you if that's what you think." I pulled his hand so he'd sit beside me. "I could never blame you for that…" My hand reached higher, playing with a wavy strand. "I'm so glad you're alive, Nate." I finally confessed, no matter how selfish it sounded.

Nate's eyes shone brightly—he laid himself right beside me an arm pulling me to him.

"Sweet dreams, princess." He whispered as I snuggled into the warmth of his chest.

When my eyelids lowered I caught one last noise. One last sentence…

"Just like a killer." It wasn't Nate who said it.
♠ ♠ ♠
"I've become so numb
I can't feel you there
Become so tired
So much more aware
I'm becoming this
All I want to do
Is be more like me
And be less like you
" - Linkin Park

One; I'm so glad you guys checked out the trailer and liked it! Thanks really, I love you ;)

And second:

Finally I was able to write this part! I've been waiting to get to it, because this chapter is very important, you can say it will open new doors and I can say it's more than one door.

Tell me what you think of Mel's hallucinations Comment :)