Status: Just a short story I did.

Unmask Your Desire

Asmodeus

I threw my keys onto the bedside table of my small motel room at the Springs Motel. After questioning many witnesses and family members, I was tired, but I had discovered my lead. All the murders involved generally happy couples. One of the pair would take up gambling and apparently sex with strangers. If they were unlucky enough to be caught, their partner would be consumed by rage. When the witnesses described this rage, they described it as unnatural and extremely violent, and the people it consumed were known for being gentle by nature.

I had concluded that there was something playing with people’s personalities. I had pulled out my laptop and was about to begin some more research when a familiar car drove by my window. It was the ’67 Chevy Impala that I had seen earlier. I had also seen it about 4 or 5 more times today, all at houses of the people I was questioning.

Curious at why this vehicle, and whoever drove it, had been stalking me all day I quickly jumped out of my motel room and followed it as it drove down the parking lot. It stopped at a motel room not too far away from mine. I was surprised when the two men I had seen at the cafe exited the vehicle. The short one had been driving and I couldn’t help but feel a twinge of jealousy. It was a really nice car.

I remained hidden behind a random car until they entered their motel room. When they closed their door I removed the 357 magnum from where I had hid it in the back of my jeans. I also had a bowie knife hidden in my right boot just in case. The rest of my weapon collection was hidden in a secret compartment in the trunk of my car. I wasn’t very worried though. I had the element of surprise, but hoped they weren’t the type of people to carry guns regularly.

I slowly approached the room they had disappeared into, gun at the ready. I gave one strong kick at the cheap motel door. It flung open and I jumped in, hollering “FBI HANDS UP.”

That’s when I realized both of them had guns trained on me. The tall one spoke first, his voice deep, but gentle. “Put the gun down, we’re not going to hurt you. We know you’re not FBI though.”

The other one just continued to glare at me; none of the lust in his eyes like it had been when he first saw me in the cafe. I wasn’t going to give in that easily though. I had no idea who these people were.

“How can I possibly trust you? I don’t know you.” I spat back.

“Why have you been stalking us lady?” the short one finally spoke, his tone not at all as gentle as the other man’s.

“Excuse me, but I believe you guys are the ones stalking me. I’ve been questioning people about the recent murder cases. Would you like to see my badge?” I was confident that my badge would fool these two dopes, just like it fooled everyone else so far. Slowly I reached into my pocket and handed the badge over to the dirty blonde. He grabbed it quickly from my hands and checked it, his gun still pointed at me. He shared a glance with the other man before throwing my badge back at me.

“It’s going to take a better fake badge than that to fool us sweetie.” He smirked.

I was speechless. But then a thought occurred to me. “Only people who use fake badges themselves would know the difference. Who are you people?”

“I’m starting to think we’re on the same side here.” The taller one spoke. He surprised me by slowly lowering his weapon. “I’m Sam.” He introduced himself, and then indicated the shorter one, who was just as surprised as me. “That’s my brother, Dean.”

“Sammy what are you doing? This bitch could be a demon for all we know.” Dean said. He spoke to his brother but still kept his eyes on me.

“Wait did you say demon?” Now I was confused. What did they know about demons?

“Yes, I did. Is that what you are?”

“No, I’m not.”

“Prove it.”

“Got some holy water?”

Dean gave me one last glare before lowering his gun. “Fine, you’re not a demon.” He strolled over to the refrigerator as if I was now a boring topic to him.

Ignoring him I turned to Sam. “So what do you guys know about demons?”

“We’re hunters. And I’m guessing you’re the same.” He said, taking a seat on one of the twin beds.

“What makes you say that?” I asked, still reluctant to give away too much about myself.

“Well you’re carrying a fake badge, you went to question all the same people we did, and you’re carrying a knife in your boot. Plus you knew about holy water.”

“Are you aware how many times today we approached people as the FBI only for them to say that an agent already stopped by? We got next to no information and there are probably a few suspicious people out there.” Dean complained. He had returned with a can of beer.

I shrugged. “Well sorry, guess I beat you to it.” This was the first time I ran into other hunters. I always suspected I wasn’t the only one hunting these things. After all, there’s no way I could go after everything there was to hunt by myself. I had always avoided people though, unless I had to question them or something.

“Maybe we could help each other out? You know, figure this out and hunt down whatever is affecting these people. What’s your name?” Sam suggested.

From the look on Dean’s face I could tell how he felt about the idea, and I had to admit I felt the same way. Like I said, I wasn’t the social group type. He made no move to challenge his brother though so I decided to go along with it. Maybe they could help me. Also it might be interesting hunting with other people for a change and they seemed to know their stuff. Plus I had to admit, if I had to choose any hunters, these two would probably be my first choice. It’s not like I hadn’t noticed how attractive they both were.

“Fine. My name’s Riley. So what have you discovered so far?” I asked. I also finally put away my gun, which seemed to make Sam relax a bit more.

“We’ve found traces of sulphur at the bar where the victims have been going to start their gambling and sex binge.” Dean offered, taking a long drink from his beer.

“So it’s a demon.” I nodded. Explains why they had been so jumpy when I barged in.

“What did you find out from questioning? Like Dean said before, we didn’t have much luck.” Sam asked.

“Well it seems that none of the couples had any major problems, none of the murderers were known for their tempers, and none of the victims had ever been into gambling before. Or into cheating apparently.” This was what I had summed up from my investigation. I hoped they could make more sense out of it than I could. I looked over at Dean. He caught my gaze and shrugged. He didn’t know either. He moved his eyes towards Sam, and I followed. I noticed Sam was reaching for his bag and pulled out a laptop.

“Do you have a guess as to what this is?” I inquired.

“I think so.” He mumbled, distracted as his fingers raced across his keyboard. I could tell he was the one who probably did the most research on this team. “Here it is.” Sam turned his laptop so the screen faced me and Dean. There was a picture of angry looking man with goat horns.

“Asmodues.” Sam read aloud, turning the screen to face him again. “This demon causes wrath, inspires gambling, deceit, lust and revenge. Strongest in the month of November. Which means..”

“Which means we have to kill this bitch tonight.” Dean finished.

“Great. Do we have any guesses how to find this demon?” I asked.

Dean grinned. Sam rolled his eyes at his brother. “To the bar!” Dean cheered.