Status: Completed.

The Forbidden Fruit

Poor Elise

Darius summoned the butler to take care of the sheets. I sat by the window, avoiding eye contact with the both of them. It was embarassing the way he was making a public display of it. My body was aching. He had made a mess of me. My head was banging as well. One of the maids gave me a glass of water. I smiled and avoided eye contact with her.
I saw Albert helping out in the stables through the window. He looked very happy, though I also noticed his cough had not yet gone. I wished I could go and talk to him for a while, but I could barely walk. He had been quite rough with me, but that was partly my fault. Maybe if I had not provoked him the way I had, I wouldn't have ended up in this situation. I had had enough though. I figured that a few hurtful words thrown his way would make him back off, but I had been wrong.
A carriage became visible from a few miles away. I wondered if it were the Count and my little sister. A weak smile crossed my face as I wondered how I was going to react to my little sister. What man was going to want me now? The iniquity was weighing on me. What would I do now?
Eventually, the debt was going to be paid and, like always, Darius was most probably going to move on to yet another mistress. That was just the way he was. That was just how the noblemen were like.
Before long, the carriage had arrived and I saw the Count and Gwendolyn leaving the carriage. She was dressed in a beautiful pink frock. Her hair had been curled and she was wearing pretty white shoes. She walked hand in hand with the Count. How it sickened me to watch her smiling at the man. I wanted to jump out the window and slap her across the face. She was happy, whilst I was here in pain and it was all because of her.
The Count our room. Gwendolyn by his side.
"The butler said you were going to arrive at dawn," Darius said as he went to greet the Count. Gwendolyn curtsied as her eyes met mine. She quickly looked away and stood behind the Count.
I got up from my chair and decided to ignore the pain as I took strides towards my sister. I grabbed the color of her frock and shook her before Darius held me back. I shook at making contact with me, but he completely ignored my feelings.
"I truly apologize on her behalf," he said as he tried to restrain me with his arms, "as a matter of fact. We have come to discuss about your mistress."
"Is it?" Count D'Aubigne said as he went to take a seat were I had been sitting, "Amy, come sit on my lap deary."
I watched as Gwendolyn did as she was told. My whole body began to shake. My blood was boiling at a high temperature and this was evident on my face.
"We want to take her back," Darius said. He was straight-forward about it. He did not even take any time to beat around the bush.
"No," Gwendolyn said as she lay her head on the Count's chest, "I love it here. He takes care of me and I don't need to worry about anything. He buys me everything I want and takes me everywhere I want to go. Why would I want to return back to that small cottage to live in poverty? Why would I want to go back to you and brother. You were always depressed. Always staring into space thinking about mother even though she had died six years ago. I love this life and I am staying here. You do not have a say."
All the anger I had felt vanished in an instant. Unaware of where I even got the strength from, I was able to free myself from Darius' hold. However, it had only been temporary. I fell to the ground as soon as I had done so. All the strength in my body was gone. I buried my head in my hands as I sobbed loudly. None of us had anticipated she would refuse to come back. Now I was the one at a loss and for what?
♠ ♠ ♠
Just how frustrating is she? I even got mad at Gwendolyn. Sounds weird since I was the one writing it as well, but yeah. HATE HER PEOPLE!! That's what I was going for. I hope I was able to make you guys dislike her a bit. Though maybe some may empathize with her, since she has been poor and all.