Status: Completed.

The Forbidden Fruit

Prized possession

Albert spoke nothing of the day Darius had declared his love for me. He must have thought Darius was doing it out of the kindness of his heart. I had learnt from Portia that Demelza had been wrong about Darius forcing his mother to leave the Manor. She left on her own will and the Manor was under her name. She could easily remove him from it if she wished. That made me understand Darius' innate fear for his mother. Though he was a powerful man, she had control over him. If anything, she was more fearsome than Darius himself.
Grace had decided that she would be moving to Essex after their wedding. Alejandro bought a new house for the two and they were going to spend their honeymoon there. I was happy for her. She seemed happy too. She asked that I visited jher once in a while and I promised to do so.
Since Grace's wedding had drawn near, Gwendolyn had come back to the Manor. She was to take part in the wedding. I was happy to see that she had grown to be a wonderful young lady. Her manners were much more refined and she spoke articulately. She dressed and talked like a woman of nobility. All I could do was smile and thank heavens for Darius.
I watched silently as the maids prepared the Manor for the wedding. The finest materials were being put in place, Darius giving orders as he helped with the preparations. Without warning, he wrapped his arms round my waist and whispered "that shall be us soon". I caught glimpse of George staring in my direction and removed Darius' hands from me. George walked away. Had there been a hint of jealousy and hatred in his glance? Laughing at myself I shook my head. George was incapable of hating a person. His heart was filled only with kindness and compassion.
"Sister," Gwendolyn said as she walked in, "Grace needs you to rehearse the steps soon".
I nodded my head and began to walk towards the back yard were we were going to learn the steps. Portia had volunteered to teach the steps her bridesmaids had done. We all stood with our partners. I looked at Alejandro's brother, Baron Alfonso Eduardo Carlos Ramirez, as he stood by Rosemary's side. Despite the fact that the had once cheated on her, I thought they made a cute couple. I could not believe that Alejandro had given up his hereditary title as baron to become a lowly cook in a noblema'n kitchen, despite being a nobleman himself.
He did not look like his younger brother though. He looked much more mature and there was a gentleman aura around him, yet his brother looked mischevious.
"Elise," Alejandro said as he walked towards me, a smile on his face and Darius by his side, "We informed George that he will not be taking part in the wedding. Darius shall be your partner. That was the only payment he wished for. After all he had done for us, we truly could not refuse him. I hope you understand."
"It is fine with me Alejandro, you need not fret," I replied politely, though I had been looking forward to being partners with George. My heart had been set now. He was the one I loved out of the two. He was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with and he I. He had not forced me to sleep with him against my will. He treated me with respect, in his eyes I was a woman and not a mistress. I was his prized posession.
George came to watch as we learnt our steps. He smiled at the master and I as we learnt the steps. It was then that I realised that the envy in his eyes I had once seen, was nothing but a mere illusion.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think two more chapters and I'm done. Wanted to write more on Darius' mother and Portia, but in all honesty, they're not important characters :( If I were to do so, that would have been forcing it, which is never good.I was also hoping to write about how the relationship between Albert, Elise and Gwen has changed but don't want the story to drag on for too long plus it really ain't that important. All I can say is that they ain't as close as when the story began.
Anyway, thank you for reading :)