Status: Completed.

The Forbidden Fruit

Problem

It had been a week since I had begun working for Darius and he was hardly ever at the Manor, which left me at ease. Me and Grace would spend our afternoons in the orchards stealing fruit when the workers were not looking. She showed me many nice places and I felt happy because of the peace I felt when I was with her.
"Elise," George said as he walked towards me and Grace. Like always, he was dressed in a nicely tailored suit.
"I best be on my way," Grace said as she got up and left.
"Grace," he said as he bowed at her, she curtsied. I was taken aback. I had known it was common courteousy to bow and curtsy, but I didn't know workers respected each other in that way or was it just the workers of a nobleman? That did not matter, however, what business did Albert have with me was what I wanted to know.
He sat beside me in the shade and asked me about my day. We talked for a while.
"Oh, before I forget," George said as he went through his pocket, "I have something for you."
I wondered what it could be until he pulled out a letter.
"Albert," I smiled as I opened it.
George frowned.
"Is he your lover?" he asked casually.
I laughed, "nothing of that sort. He is my little brother. I do not have a lover."
"I'm glad," I heard him say under his breath, but I was too excited to comment or think about it.
I began to read the letter and the excitement changed to anger, then fear. I ripped it apart and grabbed onto George, tears about to spill out.
"I need to return home," I demanded, my voice shaking, "I need to go back home to my brother."
"You need the master's permission," he explained.
"Master's permission for what?" I heard a familiar voice say from behind.
It was Darius and he had a smirk on his face.
"Is there something you need of me Elise?" he drawled as knelt to my level, "George, go prepare the carriage."
"I can take you wherever you want to go," Darius said as I caught a glimpse of evil in his gaze, "but you know the price."
I could not hold them in. The tears overflowed and I felt Darius hold me in his arms.
"I am guessing the letter informed you of Gwendolyn's new position as Count D'Aubigne's mistress," he said as wiped away my tears. I let him, "since she is young, he is going to groom her first."
The tears continued falling.
"So he has not laid a hand on her," he assured me. It may have been paranoia, but I could feel his eyes smiling at me, mocking me, amused at my misfortune, "that is the least of your concerns, though. You are aware of how it works are you not?"
I nodded my head. I was aware of my position in the situation. I had no power over it. Many young peasant girls were taken away from their parents to become mistresses and the parents would accept it because they were aware of their powerlessness. For Gwendolyn to have been sent to Essex, she had had to sign a contract to declare that she would become the property of the Count. He would offer her luxury, money and everything else except her freedom. I wish I had explained it to her more clearly.
"...but you are also aware of how I can free her," he continued, "just say the words and Gwendoyln will return home untouched."
I was desperate. I had to chose between my sister and my dignity. A cruel thought crossed my mind and although I tried to push it away, the voice in my head continued telling me "she bought it upon herself. She needs to learn her lesson". I completely agreed with the voice, but her future was in jeopardy. There had to be another way. I could solve the situation with the help of Darius. However, if I did sleep with him, I would be killing two birds with one stone. So what was it going to be? What path was I going to take? Time was not on my side.
"The carriage is ready," George said as he returned to find me bawling.
"What is it going to be?" he asked once again, "make up your mind now. Will your pride get the best of you?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Last update of the night :)