A Werewolf's Lullaby

Chapter 3

The next day of work was uneventful like any other. After chores I spent as much time as possible with Freyr. We went for a ride through the woods and over the creek listening to the sounds of nature around us at peace.

“When I come back Frey you’re going to get the biggest hug. And lots of carrots.”

I could start to see the golden streaks of dusk light filtering in through the trees. It was too soon.

On our way back home we went at a slow trot savoring every second together. I rub Frey’s neck to calm my nerves. Before long we were back at the house and I was putting Frey back into his stall. I took a deep breath heavily scented of hay and looked around trying to remember every detail of this place. I would miss this. Despite having to do the chores around the farm along with other odd end jobs, it was home. I had grown attached over the past few years and now it felt like I hadn’t been here long enough. Giving Frey one last hug I made my way back to the house as the darkness swallowed the sky and closed the door quietly behind me with resignation.

Mother had roast set on the table and Father was tending to the fireplace with calmness only he could acquire. We all sat down and ate in a comfortable silence. When we had finished and I took all the dishes to clean, Mother states, “We love you very much, Arabella. I hope you know that. We have done the best that we could for you. And I know that it seems selfish of me, that I wanted a child even though that meant it took away your freedom. But in time I think you’ll see that in the end this situation is good for you. You’ll never have to struggle to make ends meet like your father and I have for so long. Please appreciate the opportunity they have given us. I know it will take some time for you to get used to, but eventually you will call their home, yours as well.”

For what felt like the hundredth time within the last day, my eyes burned with unshed tears. I blinked them away so they would not see the pain I was feeling. I spoke to the window in front of me with its old frayed curtains, “I know. And I do appreciate it. I just don’t feel ready for that kind of life yet. But I’ve accepted it. I’m ready to leave when they arrive.” I went back to the task at hand and took a few moments to wash the dishes. I gave them both a hug and kiss and told them goodnight. I felt numb as my legs carried me up the stairs. Either way I’d be living a different life from now. Mother made me think that maybe their way of life wouldn’t be as bad. I don’t know. My thoughts were so jumbled I didn’t know what was right anymore.

While my parents were relaxing for a bit downstairs before bedtime I did my nightly routine, only this time I hurriedly dressed into my pants and shirt so I would be ready to leave as soon as they were asleep. I double checked my bag under the bed and then got under the soft worn covers ready to lay awake for an hour or so. Some other part of me was wondering if it were possible to live that other life I desperately didn’t see myself living. No, I could not and would not hurt any other people, even if it took any possible happiness out of my future.

~*~

I wake suddenly to a pounding noise that repeats itself periodically. I sit straight up in bed and realize I’ve fallen asleep. I curse and shoot out of bed, but I look out my window and find that it is still dark outside. It’s also thundering and lightning frequently with a downpour rain accompanying the pounding sound coming from downstairs. I hurriedly put my boots on and crack my door open to look into the hall. Father is just coming out of his room and no doubt taking the stairs two steps at a time. I sneak out to creep down the hall without making a sound and hear hushed voices talking at the front door. Then footsteps are entering the house, about a half dozen pairs by the sounds of it. I sneak a look down the stair case and my eyes make out dark shapes of what appears to be men crowding our kitchen and living room. My brows furrow at the sight and then it dawns on me that these are the men to take me away to my new home. Speaking of which, there is no way they are all staying in ours. Our cottage is barely big enough to house the three of us, let alone another six men. I hear deep whispers of them to stay in the barn until the morning. Father asks them if they need blankets for the night, but they politely decline and make their way out. I hear his steps coming back towards the stairs so I quickly shut my door and hold my breath until I hear my parents’ door shut close.

Air hisses out of my mouth as the direness of the situation hits me. I need to leave. Now.

I grab my backpack from under the bed, put my good coat on, and leave the room shutting the door behind me as silent as a mouse. I make it down the stairs with only one creak in the old wood, but no sounds come from upstairs to signal Father or Mother following me. I look out the front door trying to sneak a look towards the barn. There’s an ornate black carriage next to the barn with nothing else in sight. I pull my hood up over my head as I slip out into the night and run to the woods in case any of the men decide to go outside which is doubtful considering the torrential downpour. I make it to the creek and decide to cross hoping they think I’ve went another way. The water is so cold it seeps into my bones and reaches up past my waist. I carefully trudge through the rippled water while keeping my pack high on my back as to keep it from getting wet any further. I couldn’t have chosen a worse night to leave.

I make it some paces into the woods on the other side of the water when a rough hand slams itself over my mouth cutting off any means of calling for help, which I wouldn’t have even if I could. I’m pressed backward against my captor’s chest as the voice speaks, “Where do you think you’re going?” His words rumble in my ear leaving me feeling violated. I jam my boot into the toe of his shoe causing him to curse and he lets go just enough for me to slip out of his grasp. Right when I’ve made it a few steps ahead I’m tackled to the muddied ground. I struggle to escape him a second time that does not happen. His weight is so overbearing I can barely slip a breath into my lungs.

“I asked you a question. Now this time are you going to answer?”

I don’t dare answer him because he knows what I’m doing. Why answer a question he already knows the answer to?

I find myself saying quietly, “I. Can’t. Breathe.”

He slowly and carefully lifts some of his weight off of me and I take a gulp full of breath.

“Where were you going?”

I whisper, “You already know.”

This causes him to be silent for a moment taking in what I said. He then raises himself off of me and I see a hand appear in front of me. I get on all fours slowly to make myself appear to be taking my time, but I discover that he realizes this by stating, “You know if you try to run I’ll only catch you again.”

I consider this though in the end I take his hand. He pulls me up and releases my hand letting me get my bearing.

“Why are you running away?”

“To protect you.”

He laughs deep in his belly at my words as if to mock me. I look up at him trying to figure him out. He thinks I’m this weak little girl. How quaint.

I put as much convincing tone into my voice as I can muster as well as the anger, “It’s true.”

The man slowly contains his laughter and looks at my pointedly and I swallow at his gaze. Even in the dark I can feel danger and safety from his stare. Now that I get somewhat of a good look at him I see he’s tall, about a foot taller than myself which is a lot compared to my height of a little over five feet. He is broad shouldered and thickly built, but in a muscular way, which explains the reason for my lungs being crushed. He seems to be in his early 20s, but I'm not very good at guessing ages. I see a ruffle of hair dripping rain into his studying eyes. I imagine him taking in my clothes and my full backpack wondering why I’d take the chance to run on a night like this. It was so simple for me, but maybe for another person they wouldn’t see the enormity of the situation through my eyes.

With a laidback tone he tells me, “Even if that were remotely true, I can’t let you get away. I have strict orders.”

My stomach drops at the lengths these men will go to keep me within their reach. Goosebumps rise on my arms and I hug them to my sides to keep the chill away, which is difficult with the continuing rain.

“Why don’t we get you out of the rain? It looks like it’s not going to let up any time soon. We don’t want you to catch pneumonia, now do we?”

I look away and start to walk back towards the cottage. I reach the edge of the creek, but his hand restrains me from going back in.

“I’ll carry you.”

“That’s not necessary…”

The words are barely out of my mouth before I’m swept up into his arms and were sloshing back across the creek. Being this close to him I can feel the warmth of his skin and smell the pine scent on him which unexpectantly makes my breath hitch in response to being in as near to an embrace I’ve ever had with the other sex, excluding my father. This thought creates a blush up my chest and cheeks, but I hope he’s unable to see this in the dark and him being distracted with where he’s walking.

He sets me down on the rocks next to the creek, but keeps my hand in his to prevent me from making another escape. I roughly pull my hand out of his and walk ahead of him to ensure him I’m not going anywhere. He leaves me be when he finds I’m not making a run for it. He walks me all the way back to the front door of the house when I ask, “What’s your name?”

He pauses a moment and answers, “Rowan. But I had figured they would have told you that by now.”

My eyes widen despite trying to hide my emotions. By the look on his face I can tell he knows that I’ve realized who he is.

I turn to open the door, but think better of it and tell him a quick goodnight to be polite. Then I go inside shutting the door quietly behind me as to not wake my parents. Mother would be furious if she knew what I did and I’m hoping Rowan keeps my nightly adventure between the two of us.

I creep back up the stairs and into my room, stripping myself of what I now notice are filthy drenched clothes. I take my time putting dry clothes on, appreciating the warmth of them on my freezing skin shuddering at the thought of being out there any longer. To simply put it, tonight was a disaster.

I finish getting dressed for the night and rinse the dirt off my face with the water in the small basin next to my dresser then dry my face off. Lying in bed for good for the night I let myself think about the turn of events. I had myself wondering why Rowan didn’t let me go. Was he really taking orders seriously or actually caring about my well-being. Or maybe his parents were so concerned about my leaving they felt the need to warn him as well. How would they know I’d run away? Or maybe that wasn’t quite it. Maybe they were concerned with my safety. It would explain the amount of men they brought with them. Maybe it was possible he was being forced into this by his parents. If that was the truth, I knew exactly how he felt.