Know Your Enemy

Harlow

“Finally, we’re done,” I moaned as I collapsed onto the couch, which was now situated in a newly-furnished living room. I felt Louis slump down next to me.

“I’m beat. How long did that take us?” he asked. I looked at the clock on the wall.

“Five hours,” I said, looking at him, and he frowned. I brushed the hair falling out of my loose ponytail and adjusted my old t shirt. My mother was still buzzing around the house, even though she finished unpacking her things an hour ago.

“Mom, really, why don’t you cool your jets? We’re finished, so take a breather,” I said, though it came out more like a command, as her tiny figure floated around the room. She stopped and sighed, turning towards the two of us. Her face was flushed, and her perfectly pinned curls were starting to fall loose, which was something I rarely saw from my mother.

“I don’t know. I feel like we forgot something,” she sighed sounding flustered as she ransacked through another box. I got up from my spot on the couch and walked over to her.

“Mom,” I said, grabbing her arms with both my hands and looking in her eyes, “we have everything. Why are you so nervous? You’re never like this when we move.” And that’s when I saw it, a little twinge of panic crossed her face when I said those last words. I looked at her skeptically, and she looked down at the ground sheepishly.

“Louis, could you give me and my mother a minute please?” I asked, turning to him. He nodded and got up, proceeding towards the kitchen. When I heard his footsteps disappear into the next room, I let go of her.

“Mom, why did we move here in the first place?” I asked, and again, her head shot up too quickly at the question.

“I told you,” she started, her soft voice barely audible, “I knew Louis’s father and thought it would be a good idea to move near someone I know.” I kept staring at her, but she refused to look me in the eyes. That was not like my mother at all. That’s when it came to me.

“You’re seeing Louis’s dad,” I accused, and her face turned a deep shade of red.

“What? How could you think that? Did Louis tell you? It was supposed to stay a secret, oh no,” she stopped herself as the confession came out.

“Ah ha!” I exclaimed pointing a finger at her. “I knew it! The suburbs? Really, Mom? When have we ever lived somewhere like here?” I asked, holding my hands up to the halfway decent house we now owned. My mother sank down onto the armchair, looking ashamed.

“Are you upset with me?” she asked, and I looked down at her, surprised.

“Mad at you? Of course not, Mom. I want you to be happy, and if being with Louis’s dad makes you happy, then I’m all for it.” I gave her a hug and she relaxed into the embrace. After a while she pulled away and got up, straightening her outfit and fixing her face in a mirror on a nearby wall. That was more like my mother, I thought.

“Why don’t you two go out? You’ve been cramped in this house all day,” she suggested. I heard Louis’s footsteps start to approach the living room, so I knew he figured out our little talk was over.
“Yeah, I think we might head over to Cal’s diner. You want anything?” I asked her, and she shook her head.

“No, I’m okay. But for goodness sake, Harlow, change out of those clothes.”
I rolled my eyes at her and inwardly frowned. Not saying I liked seeing my mom vulnerable, but it was a change to see her not as concerned about her appearance, including me. I smiled at Louis and mouthed one minute to him, before heading up to my room to change into something more “respectable.”

I descended the stairs two at a time, getting a warning glance from my mother, who was now seated comfortably in the arm chair with a cup of tea.
“Ready to go?” I asked Louis, and he nodded, smiling warmly at me. He held out his hand, and I took it, kind of feeling awkward about the whole thing. I mean, our parents were seeing each other, which was just weird. I waved to my mother before heading out into the crisp night air and following Louis down to the sidewalk.

We arrived at Cal’s in about 10 minutes; the walk was much needed. Louis and I talked about almost everything that had happened in our lives since the last time we saw each other. Well, those 10 minutes, plus the other five hours we spent unpacking.

We walked into the crowded restaurant and tried to find an open booth.

“There’s one over there,” Louis pointed to one in the corner. “Why don’t you go snag it and I’ll go get us some drinks? Chocolate milkshake?” he asked and I beamed.

“You remembered.” I smiled and he winked before walking over to the counter. I took my seat at the table and glanced nervously around the crowded place. All the kids looked my age, so I figured they were going to be my future classmates. I saw Louis slide my drink over to me as he sipped his Cherry Coke.

“So, do you know most of these kids?” I asked, and he nodded.

“Sadly, yes. You know sometimes I don’t know what’s worse, being surrounded by squares that are awkward or being harassed by Beatniks. They scare me.” I busted out laughing at the comment and almost choked on my milkshake. Suddenly, Louis inhaled sharply and I looked nervously at him.

“You okay?” I asked him.

“Shh, stop talking,” he whispered, his face blushing a dark crimson. I turned around in my seat and saw two girls walking towards us. I turned back around to face Louis, who seemed extremely uncomfortable.

“What? You dig her or something?” I asked playfully, and his eyes shot up to mine, but before he could answer, they stopped in front of our booth.

“Hi, are you Harlow?” the brunette asked me with a genuine smile.

“Yes, I am, and you are?” I asked with the same smile.

“My name’s Clara and this here is my friend Hailey,” she said pointing to the blonde next to her who just gave me a curt smile.

“Nice to meet you, do you both know-?” but I was cut off by Clara.

“Yes, hi, Louis,” she whispered shyly, and Louis’s face lit up like a Christmas tree.

“Hi, Clara.” I almost had to stop myself from laughing at his reaction. That boy was something else. There was an awkward silence until Hailey actually opened her mouth.

“Oh no, can you believe who just walked in here?”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's Amy again! So I'm really excited you guys like our story so far, keep giving us your feedback! Don't worry Harry and Niall will come into the story soon!:)