Love Said No

01/01

She was a wreck and he knew this, and he wanted to save her. She felt safe around him, so she let the troubles of her mind drip into his hand. And in return, he poured the secrets of survival into her mind. Patiently, he waited for her. She was blind. He waited for her to fight the groping darkness, he had faith in her and his faith made her see again.

He knew her flaws, had experienced her flaws, but still, patiently, he waited for her. And she arrived, and she loved him fully, unconditionally, like she should have loved him all along. And they were happy, and she felt as though she could spend every waking moment with him and never get tired of him because he awakened her spirit, because they were soulmates. He told her three simple words, three words that would change her entire perception of the world, of herself.

And she felt safe. She felt alive.

She was a wreck, and he knew this, but he didn’t want to know. She felt forgotten, so she let the troubles of her mind drip onto the floor. And in return, he realised what she had been telling him all along and inside, he was screaming and writhing to escape her curse because anyone who comes close to her is overwhelmed by a melancholy embrace and the more he tried to escape her, the more she held on tightly. Patiently, she waited for him. And waited. And waited. She waited for him to pretend he loved her, to comfort her with three simple words that haunted her every night as she tossed and turned. And the penetrating cold that seized her warned her that she was on the very threshold of death. She shivered but remained. She told herself that his love would rescue her. Over and over. But slowly his love flowed through the hourglass until all but a strand was left, and it wasn’t enough to keep her warm, and it wasn’t enough to still the poisoned thoughts that consumed her mind, and it just wasn’t enough. So she did the only thing she could do.

And she felt forlorn. Impenetrably lonely. Unstable. She felt lifeless, but what could she do?