Status: Touches on: Rape, Mental Health, Schizophrenia. May be triggering. Be careful, I don't want anyone hurt because of this.

True Colours

Chapter 8: Hugs And Promises

"Peter!" Dad grinned, pulling a middle aged man into a bro-hug as we walked into the house directly across the road from ours.

I gazed in wonder at all of the photos of babies and a small blond child, brightening up the dull grey walls and making the whole place feel warmer than it should. There were stairs to the right of the hallway, winding up to a second floor where, from what I could see, there were a few rooms. I stared up at the ceiling above my head, smiling slightly at the sound of a gorgeous voice singing along to Blink 182 - Time To Break Up, and dropped my gaze back to in front of me when a blonde woman about the same age as my dad walked in smiling.

"Jason, I haven't seen you for ages." The woman smiled as Dad released, who I presumed was, Peter, letting him close the door.

"Isobel, lovely to see you." Dad smiled back at her, his smile lopsided a lot like mine, and kissed her hand. I bit back a gag.

"And you're Oli. I haven't seen you since you were this big." She said and gestured to the air about a foot from the floor. I shrugged, a nervous smile playing on my lips. "Blonde, just like..." She paused at the sight of dad's face faltering. "Yes, well, why don't you go and talk to Alex? He's just upstairs. Mind you, he does walk around in his boxers a lot."

Alex? As in, Gaskarth?

"Alex!" Peter called up the stairs.

He did say that he lived near to me.

"Yeah?" A familiar voice called back, the music suddenly silenced.

"Come meet the new neighbours!" Isobel shouted. "Sorry about him, he's been a little distracted since Monday. Mumbling something about a new girl he met."

"Merh." A voice groaned before footsteps sounded and Alex, yes Gaskarth, stumbled down the stairs. He stopped at the penultimate step and gave me a wide smile. "Hey."

I waved.

"Alex goes to your school, he's a bit of a scruffy pup but nice enough." Isobel winked to me and Alex mouthed along to her words from behind her, pulling a face. I let out a giggle but quickly bit my laughter back. "Actually, he likes Green Day." She said, observing my t-shirt. "Isn't that right, Mr Sass? Making fun of me again?" She asked, turning around.

Alex acted cool and smiled innocently at her, "Yes and of course not, mother dear." He said in a jokey tone.

"Let me give you one bit of advice; if he sasses you, slap him around the back of the head. He'll shut up." She stage whispered to me and I smiled playfully at Alex when he mocked a frightened expression, cowering back.

"Go on then, he really isn't that bad." Peter smirked at me and Isobel ushered me towards the stairs.

"What they're trying to say is that I'm fabulous and they're just jealous peasants." Alex chuckled and I giggled.

"Shove off, us peasants are pretty fabulous ourselves, thank you very much." Isobel played along.

"No funny business or there'll be hell to pay." Dad threatened and I rolled my eyes, blushing at the suggestion.

"Don't you worry, Mr Brooke, I wouldn't dream of it." Alex winked and grabbed my hand, pulling me up the stairs with him. "Sorry about them, they're a little enthusiastic." Alex apologised as we reached the top of the stairs, pulling my beanie from my head and tugging it onto his own. I pouted at him but he ignored me cheekily and lead me into his bedroom.

His bedroom was, as every teenager's should be, messy. Boxers and other items of clothing were strewn across the floor and it smelt like my old room, but it was kind of nice. It felt homey and comfortable, as well as dirty and horrible of course. My room wasn't going to end up like this, I wouldn't have anywhere to put my paint, but if I wasn't so fixed on this project, it would probably be like it already.

"Still not talking to me?" He asked, slumping down on his bed and patting the space next to him. I just smiled at his confidence. "Sorry about the mess." I shrugged and sat down next to him, scratching my nose. "I'd like to hear your voice someday. You look like you have a nice voice."

I combed a hand through my hair and copied him when he lay back, legs hanging from the edge of his bed. He smirked at me and turned onto his side to face me while I stayed lay on my back, studying the posters that resided on his ceiling. I smiled slightly at the sight of bands like Blink 182 and Third Eye Blind but couldn't help but feel still slightly uncomfortable around him. It was a strange feeling having a friend-like figure after not even a week. The change was fast and, though it was a good change, it felt strange and alien. I'd never met anyone as sweet as him.

"So, you live across the road?" He breathed and I nodded. "Do you walk to school or..?" I nodded again. "Well, why don't you come with me? I could drive you there." I smiled and nodded vigorously. I already got all the exercise I needed in the morning when I went jogging, or in the afternoon sometimes, so cutting out the walk wouldn't hurt.

When he turned back onto his side, I leant over and kissed his cheek again, as a sort of thank you. Well, at least that's what I took it as and I hope he took it the same way.

"You like doing that, huh?" He smirked at me. I pursed my lips together and shuffled away a little, scared of his reaction. "Don't worry, I'm not mad at you for kissing my cheek or anything." He giggled and the blush on my cheeks increased by a lot. "N'aw, you really are adorable."

And the award for the brightest blush in the world goes to; Oli Brooke's cheeks.

I'd like to thank Alex Gaskarth for this wonderful opportunity, along with my dad for bringing me here on this fateful night, and Peter and Isobel for doing the dirty and making this guy.

I giggled at the thought.

"Hey, you said you'd show me that band? The one with the lead singer that has the massive ass?" He remembered and I sat up, pulling my phone from my pocket. He followed and crossed his legs, watching me impatiently as I searched through my music. He leant forward, looking over at my phone and inevitably pressing his forehead against mine so he could see.

And, of course, Isobel took that exact moment to come and check on us.

"Oh, um--" Isobel started, startling Alex.

"No no, it's not what it looks like!" Alex squeaked.

"Of course it isn't." Isobel smirked, her voice becoming casual when she saw her son's fear. I grinned but kept my eyes glued to my phone, observing with glances.

"I was just--"

"I didn't think you'd move that fast, Alex. You're usually so shy." She carried on and Alex's cheeks lit up with a crimson colour.

"Mooooom." Alex grunted, covering his face with his palms.

"Oh Alex, aren't you sweet? Pulling the moves already." She continued and Alex punched my arm lightly when I snorted a giggle. "Well that isn't going to get you a kiss, is it? Eh, Oli?"

I shook my head, grinning.

"Shut up." Alex groaned.

"Okay okay, I'll leave you alone. Have fun, kids." She winked and left the room, closing the door behind her.

I smirked at the bright pink blush on Alex's cheeks and pouted when he scowled, starting up I Write Sins Not Tragedies and smiling innocently at him. He looked away from me, his foot bouncing to the beat anyway. I jutted my bottom lip out and shuffled in front of where he was looking, waving my hand in front of his face. He looked in the other direction and I whimpered, shuffling around and waving again. When he turned his cheek again, I folded my arms and huffed, turning off the music and dropping my phone onto his bed.

"Alex, seriously?" I said absent-mindedly and jolted slightly in shock.

'Sweet Jesus, you actually spoke.' The voice in my head said.

"Oh my god!" Alex squeaked excitedly, facing me. "You spoke! Speak again."

"I--" I choked and covered my face with my palms.

'Back to square one again, well done, Olivia.'

"Aw, it's ok." Alex sighed, patting my shoulder. His knees touching mine now before he finally enveloped me in a hug.

And then my heart stopped.

Just for a second.

It just stopped.

Skipped a beat.

I hadn't been hugged since the day of the incident and holy shit, what had I been missing? The warmth and feel of arms wrapped around me was amazing. I quickly wrapped my arms around him in return and buried my head into his shoulder. I couldn't help myself. I was snowballing. I blushed violently when he giggled and kissed the top of my head, but didn't pull away like my paranoia of being teased made my brain want to. Oh no. I kept on hugging him. I felt like sobbing when I remembered who the last person I hugged was but, at the same time, I wanted to jump up and down in joy.

This was a step to moving on and a bloody lovely step it was.

In metaphor, this step had fluffy carpet that caressed your feet with tickles when you stepped onto it unlike the nail-ridden ones behind me. It felt like heaven.

"When was the last time you were hugged? Was it a long time ago?" I looked up at him quizzically but he smiled reassuringly. "It's just, you seem like you haven't been hugged for years."

"I haven't." I mumbled and, rather than squealing about me speaking again, he frowned slightly and rubbed my back, pulling me closer.

"Well, you won't have to worry about not having hugs from today onwards." He stated and I raised an eyebrow.

"Promise?" My speech was slightly broken and quiet, the sentences small, but it was speech, alright.

"I promise." He grinned and linked pinkies with me. When he released my pinkie he grabbed a book from his desk, never really releasing me from the embrace, and pulled away slightly. He rested one hand on the book and one on his chest where his heart is. "I pledge allegiance, to hugging you, whenever and wherever you like, as long as I'm there with you. I promise if you're with me say the word and we'll find a way."

I smiled ecstatically and pulled him into another hug, squeezing him tightly only making him giggle.

Well, one thing's for sure, I was going to get as many hugs as I can from him. Meaning a lot.