Never Stop Believing

Under the Stars

"There you go and good luck!”

“Thank you very much, sir.”

We left the store and while I was walking towards the car, I opened the ring box to look at it one more time. Each time I looked at it, I felt chills in my entire body. It was time to us to get together forever. Now, nothing could separate us. I chose Violet to be my wife even I don’t believe in marriage but I felt this was necessary to get us even closer.

“So, Jimmy, where will you propose her?” - Michelle asked when we were getting into the car.

“I didn’t think about it. Maybe tonight.”

“Tonight?” - Brian asked, putting his seat belt and looking at me with panic look.

“Yeah! I really need to do this. I can’t wait anymore.”

“Jimmy, you’ll just propose Vi. Take it easy.”

“Just? Are you fucking kidding me, Chelle? This will be one of the best days ever when I hear Violet saying ‘yes’.

“But you two go to London this dawn. Your flight is at 4 am. Do you think it’s a good idea to ask her to marry her tonight?”

“Chelle is right, dude. You go to London. It was there that everything happens. It would be so fucking romantic to propose her there…”

“Yeah, in the garden!”

“Which garden?” - Brian and Michelle asked with a very curious tone.

"There’s a very big garden near our neighborhood. We lived so many good moments there. It was there that we kissed each other for the first time.”

“See? Just wait one more day. I’m sure she’ll be so fucking happy.”

“I hope you’re right Gates, but… and if she says no?”

“Fuck you, Jimmy! She loves you. I think she loves you more than she loves herself.”

“Thanks for the support guys!”

After leaving Michelle and Brian in his house, I went back home. As Violet still was with Bea, I took the time to prepare the moment I would ask Violet to marry me. I ran into a room where I had stored old things. I opened several cartons containing several things I had done or bought in the past and others that people had offered me.
I wanted to find something where I could hide the ring box. I knew there was something there that was perfect for the occasion but I could not remember what it was. Until I found something with various things related to Avenged Sevenfold. I found several skeletons of many shapes, handkerchiefs, sweaters, and also a set of glasses with a Deathbat. But in the back of the box there was what I was looking for. A small coffin. It was perfect for the moment. I mean, I was preparing my proposal not our death, but I was sure Violet would understand my idea. 'Till death do us part'. These words were engraved on top of the coffin. I bought it for three or four years just thinking about Violet.

I opened the coffin and placed there the ring box with the ring inside. I closed the box, I got up from the chair where I was sat, turned back and went back to look at the coffin. I sat down again, turned the coffin to me and opened it. I didn't like what I saw. It was an ugly thing in front of me. The ring box was beautiful and elegant and the coffin was wooden with a dark aspect. That idea was out of the question. But I wanted, in fact, to use that coffin.
I stood up again and looked around me. In the midst of the things I had taking out of the some boxes, there was a block of old sheets of paper, recycled paper type. It was in those sheets that I wrote most of the letters to Violet. I picked up the block and a pen and started writing another letter. This time I was sure it would be delivered. The words appeared without much difficulty. It seemed my heart was dictating that words to my brain and leave them getting out by the ink pen that I was using to write one more declaration of love. Ten minutes later, I finished the letter. I folded it into three parts and put it in the coffin. Now all I needed was to buy her a big bunch of flowers but I would have to do it when we were in London. Suddenly, I heard some noise coming to the living room. Violet had already arrived. I hid the little coffin in the middle of all that stuff and ran into the living room. I opened the door and Violet was taking her coat. I ran to her and kissed her so much till she had to ask me to stop.

“Jimmy, I miss you too but I’ll die in your arms if you don’t let me breathe.”

“I’m sorry babygirl but I don’t see you since this morning. It’s too much time for me.”

“I know, Jim. It’s too much time for me too. I passed all this time talking about you with Bea so… you were always in my mind!”

“Aw, babygirl. I love you so fucking much.”

“I love you more, Jimmy.” – Now, it was Violet who started kissing me without stop. Her hands were in my chest and her soft touch was turning me on. I pushed her against my body, without stopping kissing her. My lips running for her neck and I felt her breathe becoming heavy. I started slowly pushing her towards the couch. When we got there, Violet's hands began to explore every detail of my body by placing them inside my sweater. I felt her nails sliding on my cold skin and I felt my whole body was shivering. I stopped kissing her to look in her eyes. She looked at me with her brown eyes shining, full of desire. She approached her lips from mine and began kissing me very gently letting our lips come together like raindrops sliding the petals of a flower. My hands slid from her back to her buttocks, making her to jump to me, wrapping her legs around my waist. I sat on the couch, getting her on my lap kissing me more and more. It was being difficult to control myself much longer.

"You drive me crazy."

"And you make me lose my mind every time you look at me with those blue eyes and this bully smile."

"I want to make love to you right now, Violet."

"Don't say anything else and let our bodies do the rest."

*** In the break of dawn ***

“Good morning, Miss Sullivan!”

“Hey, Brian. Come in.”

“Thanks. Where’s Jimmy?”

“I have no idea. He finished the breakfast and disappeared.”

“What?”

“He said he had to get something. Can you help me with these bags, please?”

“Sure. For that reason I woke up so early.”

“It wasn’t necessary this sarcastic tone, Gates!”

“It’s my tone.”

“‘It’s my tone.’ Shut up and help me, come on.”

“At your service, ma'am.”

“Please, Brian. Stop!”

“Jesus, Violet. You want me to help you or to stop?”

“Look, Brian. Fuck you!”

“Fuck you too. I don't know how Jimmy puts up with you.”

“Jimmy loves to put up with me, okay?”

“Yeah, sure!” – I had gone to the stuff’s room to fetch the small coffin and the ring which I let there in the previous day. I read the letter one more time and check if the ring was inside the ring box. Everything was okay unless in the living room. I started to hear Brian and Violet arguing with each other on the living room. Brian had offered himself to take us to the airport and Violet was waiting for him. Well, apparently, he was already there and they liked very much to be together. I took a deep breath and tried to control myself to no laugh.

“What’s wrong with you guys?”

“Brian’s fault.”

“Brian’s fault? It’s you who don’t know what you want.”

“What???”

“Please, guys. I am the craziest guy here but you two together seem to be children. Come on, babygirl. I put the bags in the car with Brian.”

“Thanks, honey. I was already becoming sick.” – Violet went to our bedroom to bring Mr. Bungle. Yeah, I didn’t already ask Brian to take care of Mr. Bungle. He didn’t like very much of Iguanas but now he really had to take care of him. Brian looked back to Violet and then looked at me with a puzzle look while we was bringing Violet’s bag to the car.

“Is she really sick?”

“Hell no. She went to fetch Mr. Bungle.”

“Wow, will you take him with you?”

“No. you’ll take it with you to take care of him.”

“WHAT? No, no, no. Jimmy, I’m sorry. I can’t do this.”

“Come on, pussy. Michelle takes care of him. You just need to drive to her house and let him there.”

“I can’t drive with him by my side, Jimmy. ARE YOU INSANE?”

“No, you are.” – I looked to the door and Violet was ready to go. She approached us with Mr. Bungle in a transport box for cats. She knew Brian hate iguanas and animals like that, so she looked at him with a very naughty smile and gave him the box. Brian hesitated a bit to accept it but he didn’t want to show her that he was afraid. Quickly, he took Mr. Bungle inside of the car and got inside of it too. Half an hour later, we were at the airport.

“Well, have a nice flight.”

“Thank you, Brian.”

“Violet… I’m sorry for… that stupid scene.”

“Don’t worry. All teenagers go through this.”

“Are you saying me I’m a kid?”

“No. she’s saying you both are kids.”

“That’s right. We have to grow up in our friendship, Brian.”

“We deal with it when you come back.” – Violet hugged Brian and then Brian hugged me to say goodbye. He approached to my ear and I could figure what he would say to me. – “Good luck, buddy. Call me when she said yes.”

“I will, Gates. Thanks for everything.”

*** 12 hours later ***

It was 6 am, December 22nd 2006 in London. Violet’s family didn’t know we were there so soon. We got up the taxi and took the bags out of the car trunk. it was very cold and there was a lot of snowy. But even so, Violet and I stayed a few moments looking at the whole scenario ahead. Our houses together just like we were. I held Violet's hand and she looked at me with an innocent smile on her face. Those few minutes have passed through my mind so many images like a movie. I spent so many good times here with her. It was here where our story began. It was thus, taking the bags out from the car, I saw Violet for the first time. It was with that innocent smile she looked at me for the first time. I put my arm around Violet's shoulders and gave her a kiss on her forehead.

"It’s so good to be back with you."

"Increasingly more I love you, Jimmy. And be here with you just gives me even more certain that you're all that I want."

"Do your words mines, sweetheart." – She kissed me and we approached towards the front door. Violet opened it very slowly to avoid making some noise. We hid the bags in the office of Violet’s mum. While little Barbara and Mary didn’t wake up, Violet and I went to her bedroom rest a bit.
Some hours later, we woke up with Barbara singing in the bathroom. She sang with a so innocent voice but yet so aggressive that made ​​me smile. I looked up Violet when I felt her hands stroking my head. Violet had expressed the sweetest smile on her face and her eyes filled with tears. I brought my hand up to her face and gave her a kiss on her lips.

“Came the day your little sister will know the author of those letters.”

“She’ll love you.”

“Barbara! Come to take the breakfast!” – Violet mum’s yelled.

“I’m coming!”

Violet and I waited a moment till Barbara came into the chicken. Vi was so nervous that made me became nervous too. She didn’t see her family since September and I knew how much excited she was to be with them again. She held my hand and opened the door but before we left the bedroom, I pushed her back to me and gave her a kiss.

“Now, I’m ready!”

“I knew you need it.” – Violet gave me one more kiss and now we were ready to do a surprise. We left the room and went down the stairs, very slowly. Approaching to the kitchen we heard Mary and Barbara talking about the breakfast. It seemed Barbara was making a tantrum because she didn’t want to eat fruit and Mary was urging her. – “It is time for you to go there. I’ll wait for you in the living room.”

“Okay, Jim. I wanna prepare my little sister you’re here.”

“I think I would be more excited than she will. She is my newest fan. And my sister-in-law too.”

“I love you. I'll try not to take too long.” – She stroked my face and walked to the kitchen.

*** Violet’s POV ***

“Baba, you should do what mama is saying.” – I said crossing my arms. My mum and my little sister looked back to me. my mom dropped the mug and came running towards me, crying like a baby and hugging me with such force that almost broke the bones. She started kissing my cheeks and I was trying to stop laughing to breathe. Until she dumped me, grabbed my arms and looked at me to see how I was.

"You're a woman. My child... you are so beautiful!" - I was trying to control my tears but when I felt my little sister grabbed my legs and crying silent tears, I cannot control myself anymore. I put myself on my knees and hugged my sister while she clung to my neck giving me kisses on my cheek.

"I thought you would never come back, sis."

"I would never do such a thing, Baba. I will never leave you.”

“Promise?”

“I promise, sweetheart. Now, come with me. I have a surprise to you.” – I looked to my mum and she nodded with her head and smile. She knew Jimmy was there with me. I looked at my sister and wiped the tears from her face as she smiled at me and stroked my face with her tiny hands.

“You brought a gift for me?”

“Yeah! I have lots of gifts to you, to mummy and to Phil. But there’s someone in the living room who wants to know you.”

“Someone? Who?”

“Do you remember about my letters?”

“Jimmy? Jimmy’s here?” – My sister asked. I became so, so happy to see her so much excited to know Jimmy was there. Baba always wanted to know Jimmy. Besides she was very young, she knew how much Jimmy was important to me and how much he made me happy. She grabbed my hand and began to pull me out the kitchen. But I stooped her. Jimmy was a different and Barbara was not used to living with people like Jimmy. He had much of the tattooed body and she could get a bit confused with this. So I turned her to look at me.

"Baba, Jimmy is not like the boys in your school. He's like Phil's friends."

"How? Is he taller?"

"Yes, he is very taller but he has a Rock band. That music type I listen to."

"That music full of screams?"

"Yes, that kind of music. And... He has many tattoos."

"I like tattoos. Then I'll draw a tattoo for him to get in his arm."

"It’ll be difficult to get another tattoo on his arm but you'll talk to him about it, deal?"

"Deal! But sis I want to see him. Come on!" – Baba grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the living room. My mother followed us, and Jimmy, seeing us approaching him, rose from the couch and looked at me smiling. I could see in his eyes that he was very nervous. He looked like he was going to meet my father for the first time. I understood why he was nervous. Never underestimate the power of a child. I wasn't worried because I knew Barbara would love to know Jimmy. His eyes quickly left mine to find my sister. I felt her tiny hand dropping mine and she looked intently at him.
Jimmy looked at her with the same smile that showed me when we first met. Barbara continued to look at him without reaction until she began to walk slowly toward him.

“Hi!” - lowering up to get eye contact. She didn't say a word but suddenly threw herself upon his neck, hugging him tightly.

"Thank you, Jimmy. Thanks to your letters my sister is alive." - hearing those words from my sister, I felt my body getting as heavy as a rock. I felt a huge choke. I never thought that moment when my sister used the letters from Jimmy to keep me from killing myself had marked so much. I never thought she still remembered that bleak moment of my life. My eyes filled with tears. My mother approached me; putting her arm around my shoulders and leaning her head on mine. Jimmy looked at me with a panic look and without knowing what to do. My sister dropped him and smiled at him.

"I always wanted to meet you. My sister loves you so much. She told me so many stories of you two. Every night I pray for you to marry her and have many babies."

"Thank you, Barbara. I'm very happy to hear that. You cannot imagine how happy I am."

"When I'll be a woman, I also wanna have a boyfriend named Jimmy who writes me letters like that ones you wrote to my sister."

"I'm sure you will find one Jimmy who will love you too." – Then, my little sister didn’t leave Jimmy anymore. My mum greeted Jimmy and said how much he was different. I was so happy and looking at Jimmy, I think he was more than me. We took the breakfast all together and then I called to my brother to come to lunch with us. while my mum and I were in the kitchen preparing the lunch, Jimmy and Barbara were playing on the living room.
*** Jimmy’s POV ***

I was very confused to hear Violet's sister saying thanks to my letters, Violet was alive. I had to clarify this with Violet but moments later the subject disappeared from my mind. Barbara was very excited to meet me which made me very happy and surprised because always, when the kids know me, are terrified of me. I used to frighten and terrify all kids of Huntington Beach. But I was different and Barbara was different.

“Will you and my sister getting married?”

“If I tell you a secret, you promise don’t tell anything to anyone?”

“I promise.”

“Okay… I’ll ask her tonight.”

“Aw, really? Give her red roses. She loves them.”

“I know. So I need your help. Do you know if the florist shop on the corner is still open?”

“Yeah!”

“I need to go there but your sister can’t know.”

“Call my brother. He must be coming. So, before coming here, he goes there and buys the roses.”

“Excellent idea! You’re very smart, huh. You’re like your sister.”

“Yes, I am.” – I call Phil and he did me the favor to go there and buy the roses. Minutes later, Phil came and before greeted him, I took the floors and ran towards Vi’s bedroom. I put them over the bed with the little coffin. My idea was Violet find them and went to the garden at night where I was waiting for her to propose her. But then, I thought how much would be difficult to avoid Violet to go to her bedroom. So, I took the coffin with me. I would read her the letter on the garden and then ask her to marry me. And that's how it happened. After dinner, I managed to convince Violet to stroll down to the garden. I confess I never even thought about the cold it was out there because all I wanted was to ask her to marry me in that garden that was so important to us.

"My God, it's so different when it's covered in snow."

"It's true. Yet it's still being romantic."

"Jimmy, with you, each place is romantic."

"You know why?"

"Tell me."

"Because I love you so much."

“You’re my life.” – looking at Violet’s eyes, I knew it was the perfect moment to do what I had to do. I took the coffin out of my pocket and gave it to Violet. She was amazed looking at it and read the words that were on the top of it. She looked at me seriously, expecting something from me. For a few moments, I think she thought I was going to kill her because I felt some trepidation on her part. I approached her and gave her a kiss on the forehead while I opened the small coffin where I got the letter. A big smile appeared on her face. Then I started reading it aloud.

‘December 22nd 2006,

Dear Violet Butterfly,

Eight years later, here we are again where our story began. It was here, in this garden, that we lived so good moments. It was here I kissed your sweet and tasty lips for the first time. It was here that I walked hand in hand with you for the first time. It was here where we passed night after night under the stars, saying just shit that was, at that time, important things to us. It was here, in this city, that I fell in love with you and I met the woman of my life.

The woman for whom I fought all these years. The woman who made ​​me change and who made ​​me believe in me. The woman for whom I would die without think twice. You’re the cause of my smile, the constant brightness in my eyes. You’re the reason I'm still with open eyes in this world, because if wasn't you, I would have given up. I suffered a lot by not having you by my side over these years, but still I suffered more because I didn't know anything about you. I felt empty and I felt that nothing made ​​sense. I traveled paths that weren't the right ones. But I knew that, as far as you were, you were also thinking about me.

How would you know, I've never been a religious person but I am sure that God exists. He exists because God put you in my path. God exists because He brought you to me again after all these years. He did this because He knew how much we loved each other. You are everything to me and without you I would not be the same Jimmy Sullivan. I am very proud of you. I'm very proud of us. Because of you, I want to live for many more years. I want to live many more years at your side, our children terrorizing us and later we were counting our beautiful love story to our grandchildren. I never believed in it but you do all this seems real. And that is why we are here today. That is why tonight I brought you to this garden.’

Then, staring at her eyes, and being illuminated by dim light of lamps and by the moonlight, I took the ring box out of my pocket and stretching my arm towards Violet, opened it.

“Violet, will you marry me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this chapter listening the song 'Teardrop' by Massive Attack :)
It's a good song to listen while you're reading the chapter :b
I hope you like it :')
Leave your comment**