Status: Active.

Sweet Misery

Chapter 2

John's POV

Trying to worm my way through the mass of sweaty, dancing bodies, I stumble through the crowd making my way to the bar. Ordering a shot, I scan the room for any signs of my friends that I came here with. Jeremy and Taylor live in Franklin, a long way away from my home of Tempe. They somehow convinced me to spend my New Years with them. Stating that they were going to “party until they couldn't breathe.” Their words, not mine. I can’t help but wonder how the guys are doing, if they spent New Years together, jamming out and drinking beers, or spent it with their families. Mine was supposed to be spent with Abby, but that all went down the drain.

Exiting the theater with Jared in tow behind me, we make our way outside and immediately we’re blasted by the heat the sun is offering. Jared’s phone rings and he signals for me to wait a moment, and steps away to answer it. Slipping my sunglasses back on, I hear a familiar giggle. Distant, but not far away. As if on instinct, my head whips around to find the source. My eyes settle on a couple in the far corner, sucking each others faces off with no shame. Disgusted, I turn back towards Jared who is still on the phone. Most likely talking to his girlfriend Tessa. Again, I hear the same familiar giggle that I've grown so accustomed to hearing next to me. I look for the source again only to settle my eyes upon the same couple in the corner. They pull away from each other and that’s when I see it. Abby. My Abby, was the one giggling. But it wasn't me that caused it, it was some scumbag who I don’t even know the name of.

I couldn't stay home after that. The memories of Abby were everywhere, and I had to get away. Jeremy then gave me the idea of traveling to Franklin to catch up with him and Taylor. I needed a change of scenery, badly. So I gladly took him upon his offer. My drink is slided across the counter towards me and I graciously accept, downing the shot in one. All of a sudden the crowd becomes restless, shouting and yelling. The New Years countdown is going to begin soon. 2011, I welcome you with open arms. Please, don't fuck me over. I order another shot while the club is growing more and more anxious with each passing second.
Finally, the timer ticks down to 10. 10 more seconds until a new year. 9 seconds. I gulp down my newest shot and slap a 50 dollar bill on the counter. 8 seconds. I look through the club spilling with people, attempting to find Jeremy or Taylor. Or any familiar face. 7 seconds. I stand up from my seat, grabbing my phone from my back pocket. 6 seconds. Quickly, I type a text to Taylor letting him know that I've left early. 5 seconds. It’s unlikely he'll even check his phone at this time. But I still send the text. 4 seconds. Weaving my way through the different people packed in the cramped club, I go for the exit. 3 seconds, 2 seconds. I run into somebody, apologizing quickly and keep walking. I leave before the countdown comes down to zero.

+++

Waking up, I squint my eyes due to the harsh sunlight streaming through the shutters. "Fucking hell." I mumble to no one in particular. Slowly getting up from my position on the bed, I reach my hand over and attempt to close the blinds, and failing in doing so. My skull is pounding against my head and the excessive ring of my phone isn't helping. I turn my phone off, silencing the obnoxious ringtone that Garret put on there. I walk over to the cramped, shitty bathroom the hotel provided for me and splash some water on my face in an attempt to wake myself up. My head is still pounding and every action is multiplying the pain. Advil, I need Advil. I desperately search through the cupboards, praying that it just materialized from thin air. Nothing. The cupboards are as empty as my stomach. Grabbing my wallet and pulling a grey beanie onto my head to hide the greasy, dirty mess that is called my hair, I slip my sunglasses onto the bridge of my nose, slide my phone into my back pocket and exit the motel altogether and walk the streets of Franklin in hopes of a good diner.
After 10 minutes, I finally decide to turn my phone back on. I've had 5 phone calls, 4 text messages and 1 voice mail. My eye catches the sign for a pharmacy just up ahead, I put my phone back into my pocket, making a mental note to actually check all of the messages later.

Hayley’s POV

I don’t protest as Chad roughly lifts my shirt off my body and unbuttons my jeans, sliding them down forcefully. Keeping my eyes on the ceiling, I try to block out the feeling of his rough, calloused hands roaming my body. I’m surprised that he’s even home this morning. He was gone all night, partying because of the New Year. While I idly tidied up the house, trying to occupy myself with something so my thoughts won't attack me. His eyes travel up and down, probably looking at the bruises, old and new. “I’m sorry baby. I love you.” He whispers in between a kiss, while he starts to unbutton his own pants. Familiarizing myself with the textures on the ceiling, I block everything out as the pain starts to settle.

+++

I turn on my side to find an empty bed. Sighing, I get up and change into my clothes from the night before, scattered among the room. Every muscle of mine is aching with each move and it takes everything in me to not cry out in pain. Grabbing my purse, I leave the house, making the short 5 minute walk to the pharmacy nearby. I need painkillers, anesthetics, anything to help with the pain. Walking in and making my way through the aisles, the bell in the front of the store jingles, indicating someone else has walked in. I make my way to the medical aisle and scan the shelves. Bending down, I grab a packet of gauze. Chad’s starting to use more than just his own force, and now blood starts to ooze out of some of the wounds if I’m not careful. I stand back up, looking through the top shelves for anything else. I look up to find a pair of hazel green eyes staring back at me. Panicking, I self consciously touch my face. And then I remember, I left the house without covering anything up. Shit, shit, shit. I didn't look in the mirror before I left, therefore I have no idea how bad the damage is from last night. I quickly turn around, my back facing the man whose eyes are burning holes through me. I hear a cell phone ringing but it’s unfamiliar ringtone tells me it’s not mine.
“Hello?” A hoarse voice answers. I gather the gauze, bandages and everything else I want to purchase and make my way over to the register. The cashier rings me up and I give them exact change. “Shit, I’m sorry. I’m on my way right now. Do I need to bring anything?” The voice sounds closer. I check the time on my phone while my things are being put in a bag. 2:30. Jeremy invited me to his BBQ party, which is at 3. I still have time to go home, change, cover up and I can get there by 3 if I’m quick enough. Exchanging a soft “thank you” to the cashier, I grab my bags and turn around only to be faced with the same eyes that were boring into me just moments before. He towers over me, being much taller than me. A bit lanky, with his hair covered in a beanie. I can make out chest tattoos through the white shirt he is wearing. If I allowed myself, I would admit he is attractive. But if Chad ever found out what I was thinking he would be furious. I keep my head down low, looking at my feet as I make my way out of the store and quickly walk back home. I hide the things I purchased under the bed, where a box of my valued possessions are. I would never put this in Chad’s reach, where it could be used against me. They’re much too valuable. I slip myself into sweatpants, because if I ever tried to fit my legs through my jeans it would be torture. The bruises are too raw, too fresh. The skin tight material of my jeans wouldn't allow them to breathe. I shrug myself into a 2 sizes too big hoodie, and begin to apply makeup onto my face. After I’m satisfied, I grab my purse and lock the door, getting into my car and drive to Jeremy’s house.

John’s POV

I make my way into the pharmacy, looking for the appropriate aisle for Advil. I find the ‘Medicine’ aisle and make my way down, looking for the bottle of Advil. Grabbing it from the top shelf, my eye catches a head full of bright red. Looking over the aisle, I can barely make out the girl. Her small frame being dwarfed in the over-sized clothes. But what really catches my attention is the small bruise adorning her cheek. It’s poorly covered. She notices my stare and immediately her eyes widen. I open my mouth to make attempt a conversation but I’m interrupted by my phone ringing.

“Hello?” I answer. I try to find the girl again, but she’s seemed to disappear in an instant.

“Happy 2011 Cornelius!” Jeremy’s voice answers. “I’m still holding a grudge because you left early last night, but all will be forgiven at my BBQ.” I slap my forehead in frustration, the thought of Jeremy’s BBQ completely slipped my mind. “Let me guess, you forgot?” I can almost hear Jeremy’s smirk through the phone.

“Shit, I’m sorry. I’m on my way right now. Do I need to bring anything?” I grab the Advil and rush over to the register, forming a line behind the person in front of me.

“You were on drink duty, but Tay came over earlier and brought them, so you should be thanking your sorry butt he got them.”

“I’m making my way over right now.” I hang up the phone and grab my wallet, getting my money ready. The person in front of me turns around, bag in hand, and seems to realize that I’m right behind them. Her head goes down and quickly as it goes up. It’s her. She scurries out of the store, her head facing the floor and a twinge of disappointment surges through me. I pay for my things and make my way out. Something about her seemed so scared, so distant. And the bruise that adorned her face only made her seem smaller than she already is. I decide to walk the rest of the way to Jeremy’s, since I’m already halfway there due to the stop at the Pharmacy. Turning the corner on Jeremy’s street, I can already hear the music from down the block. I walk over towards the front of the house and open the front door, knowing he always keeps it unlocked, giving easy access to people to go in and out. Setting my things on his kitchen counter, I walk into the backyard that’s swarming with people. Suddenly a hand claps my shoulder.

“Glad you could make it.” Taylor smirks. I wave him off, grabbing myself a beer and look over to Taylor whose screaming.

“Get over here! Meet John the fifth!” Laughing to myself at the nickname he’s used for me, a figure approaches us and then I realize that it’s the same girl from the pharmacy. Only this time the bruise has seemed to disappear. As if it were never there. Her face mirrors my own which is pure shock as Taylor introduces us.

“John, meet Hayley. Hayley, meet John.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I was in a rush. Not sure how I feel about this chapter. I've had 2 subscribers since last night. Thank you!
Thoughts?