Status: Active.

Sweet Misery

Chapter 6

Hayley’s POV

The only sound that fills the air is Chad’s shallow breathing. I watch him silently as he pinches the bridge of his nose to get rid of an upcoming headache. Moments pass by and the grandfather clock in the hall keeps ticking. I smile a bit remembering the memory behind it. I had found it in front of a yard along with other things. I practically tackled Chad to get him to pullover in front of the house. It was a bit pricey, ranging at about 500-600 dollars but I had somehow convinced Chad to buy it for our new house that we were currently trying to look for at the time.

I Fumble with the radio, giggling as I ignore Chad’s protests for me to leave it alone. I can’t help it, I get bored easily of the same station. We were barely halfway done with one song when I decided to change it.

“Hayles, come on that was a good song.”

“Nope.” I reply, popping the ‘p’ and grinning. “Besides, that song wasn’t even that good.” He chuckles lightly, focusing back on the road in front of us. I finally settle on a good station playing an unfamiliar, but good band and lean my head against the window, watching the streets before us as Chad slows down to a red light. I watch as an elderly couple sets up a sign in front of boxes and racks of clothes and items. Yard sale.

“Oh my goodness. Chad, pull over right now.” I state, trying to contain my excitement.

“Hayles?” Chad drawls out. Confusion filling his voice and drawing his features. He looks over through my window and groans, obviously knowing he can’t compete with vintage items and nifty clothes. “Fine.” He grunts, and takes a quick turn before the light changed back to green, and parks in front of the house. He’s barely shut the car off and I’m already unbuckling my seatbelt, running out of the car and greeting the elderly couple with warm smiles.

“Well, hello there Miss. America.” The man greets, holding his hand out for me to shake. I take his hand in my own, shaking it enthusiastically. Chad joins me at my side, shaking the man's hand as well while I set my attention to the beautiful woman next to him.

“I’m Mrs. Greene, how can we help you?” She offers me a warm smile.

“My boyfriend and I were driving past here,” Chad’s arms wraps around my waist affectionately at the word ‘boyfriend’. “and I saw your yard filled with furniture and clothes and I couldn’t help but wonder if you’re selling anything. I saw the sign so I was hoping if it’s okay that we have a look around.”

“Ah, yes.” Mr. Greene says. “Linda and I are moving into a retirement home, we can’t keep up with the payments anymore.” A sad smile seems to grace their features and my heart clenches painfully for the couple in front of us. “But nevertheless, have a look around you youngsters! Don’t go too crazy.” He winks and places a kiss to Mrs. Greene’s forehead.

We spend 20 minutes looking around and sorting through boxes they placed for us. I was growing frustrated by each passing minute. I couldn’t seem to find anything that was remarkable enough for me. Chad softly nudges my side and I draw my attention away from the plate set I’ve been eyeing for a bit and look up to see he’s looking at a large grandfather clock. It’s intricate painting and polished wood takes my breath away. After spending another 20 minutes convincing Chad to buy it, ignoring the 550$ that would escape from his bank account, he finally obliged. We agreed to pick up the clock when we had purchased our new home.


The memory brings a sad smile to my face, but it’s soon disappeared as Chad begins to speak.

“I didn’t know that you were at a party, Hayley.” His voice comes off as strained and restricted. I have to choose my words and actions carefully or who knows how this could end. “And a pool party?! Please don’t tell me you actually wore a swimsuit. Do you know how embarrassing that is for me?” Each word pierces through me, and each insult keeps getting more harsh. “You really should lose some weight. What would your fans say about you? You’re weak, pathetic.” He mocks. “You don’t even stand up to yourself, if you can’t fight against me how are you going to survive? One day I’ll leave you, like the worthless piece of shit you are. You’re lucky I’m even here right now.”

“Shut up.” I mumble weakly.

“Oh, what’s this? The singer has finally found her voice?!” Chad exclaims. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t hear you.” He cups a hand around his ear.

I roll my eyes, an action that I am going to regret. “What do you want for dinner?” Making my way towards the kitchen, I’m abruptly stopped by a rough hands gripping my wrist and shoving me towards the wall. He walks past me, into the kitchen where I was first going.

“Don’t bother, you’ll probably burn the house down. Be useful and clean the house or something.” He waves me off, rummaging through the fridge and pulling out a beer. Uncapping it, he gets to work on making dinner. I steady myself by propping my hands on the side of the wall and hoist myself up. I haven’t had anything to eat since breakfast this morning, and that was only a piece of bread with butter on it. My body is getting weaker with the lack of nutrients I’ve been giving it. Cleaning up the slight mess made in the living room, I straighten out a few books on the coffee table and fluff the pillows. Looking back into the kitchen one more time, I tiptoe upstairs and softly shut the door to the bathroom, entering it and turning the light on at the same time. My breath hitches in my throat at my reflection. No, no, no, no. This isn’t me. Tears flood my eyes and I blink rapidly trying to get rid of them. What was left of the makeup that wasn’t washed away from being pushed in the pool before is gone. Showing everything that it was trying to conceal. There’s an old cut along the right side of my cheek, red and scabbing up due to it’s age. A few scratches, thankfully there are no bruises. My eyes are hollow and sunken in. My lips are chapped and colorless. Closing my eyes, I count to three before I take my shirt off and set it on the bathroom counter. My heart feels like it’s shutting down. There’s nothing but brown, purple and yellow-ish bruises littering my torso and sides. Some are old, some are new. I’ve lost count as to where and when some of them formed. I bring a hand towards my side and gingerly touch it, wincing at the amount of pain that comes.

“Hayley!” Chad begins to holler my name. Quickly, I wash my hands and slip my shirt back on, shutting the lights off and exiting the bathroom. Halfway down the stairs, I come face to face with an impatient Chad waiting for me.

“Dinner’s done.” I try to suppress the grin that fights it way on my face, my stomach rumbling at the thought of food. “I want you to go shopping for groceries like I told you to do today.”

“Okay, I’ll go after I ea--”

His laughter interrupts me in the middle of my sentence. “Did you actually think I made food for you?” My eyes widen, traveling towards the steaming plate of chow mein, the portion of food only enough for one. “Eating is the last thing you should be doing. You need to lose a few pounds anyways. Consider it a favor. Now, go and get some groceries for this shithole.”

Ignoring my stomach’s protests, I nod quickly and grab my purse, trying not to stumble over my feet. Completely oblivious to my car keys jingling in my purse, I walk past my car parked in the driveway and use the sidewalks to get to the nearest iHop.

+++

The door jingles as I enter the diner, my stomach has stopped grumbling by now and my head is starting to spin. I need food now, or I might just collapse. A hostess greets me with an overly-bleached set of teeth, curling her lips up into a smile and I try to copy the action. She leads me to my table and drops a menu in front of me, walking away to help other people occupying the booths. Scanning my eyes quickly over the menu, I wave the waitress over and order the first appealing thing I see: the crispy chicken salad. Originally, I was going to order pancakes or something sugary to satisfy my hunger and sweet tooth for a while, but Chad’s voice began to speak in the back of my mind. You need to lose a few pounds anyways.

A plate of salad is placed in front of me. I thank whoever brought it to me, and take a fork in my hand. I start off slowly, trying to savor the taste but I’m too hungry. In a matter of minutes, the plate is bare and hollow. No traces of any food ever being on it. I lean back in my chair, absentmindedly scrolling through my phone for anything interesting as I wait for my check. I’m faintly aware of someone else’s presence from the table behind me.

“Check, please.” A raspy voice calls over to the waitress. I recognize the owner almost immediately. I make the mistake of looking behind me, only to have our eyes connect a fraction of a second after I turn my head around. His once styled hair is hanging loosely, being covered by a gray beanie. He’s changed out of the chlorine soaked clothes to a white shirt, leather jacket and jeans paired with boots that are unlaced. He gives me a full bright smile, and I can’t help but mirror it. He gives a slight nod to the waitress as he pays for his food.

“I have her meal covered as well.” He slides an extra bill and the waitress practically swoons.

“Well, well, well. We have a gentlemen.” She winks knowingly at me, gathering my plates as well as John’s and disappeared into the kitchen. There’s a rustling of leather and the clanking of boots before he slides into the chair in front of me.

“I can pay for my own meal.” I scoff.

“What type of friend would I be if I can’t pay for their meal?” He smirks.

“But we’re not friends.” I quip back. The smirk falters for a second and I sigh. “It’s just, I’ve barely known you for a day.”

“Well, let’s change that.” He slides out of his seat and extends his hand for me to take. Don’t do this Hayley. I tell myself. Don’t build up another friendship, it’ll only spell disaster. Chad’s voice rings in my ears, reminding me of how worthless and pathetic I am. I make a mental note to get the groceries before I return home and accept John’s helping hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
Trying to get back into the swing of things.
Thoughts, comments? Thank you to those who have commented, read and recommended my fic so far!