Pitch Black

I

"Today, I shall be serving your favorite Earl Grey tea with scones."

When his master did not reply, Sebastian lifted his wine red eyes. The person there had once been his young master, a boy of only twelve years old with the wisdom and education of an adult. His intense hatred for those around him, for those who had tried to tarnish his family name had first drawn in the mysterious butler. His soul smelled absolutely delicious after all.

Lifting the beautifully crafted teapot, he poured the steaming liquid into the tiny cup and placed it on a saucer. From there, he took a carefully baked scone and set it on a plate before his master, sliding the teacup forward. Straightening, Sebastian took the brief period of time to overlook his ever changing master.

No longer the twelve year old boy he once had been, Ciel Phantomhive had grown into a handsome, yet troubled young man much like his father. The only inheritance he collected from his mother, was her beautiful blue eyes that matched the blue diamond set into the ring on his thumb. His features were no longer round, but sculpted with a strong jaw and fine, well-bred features fit of a Phantomhive noble. His hair had grown out slightly, sticking out in the oddest places but tamed well enough to suit his position. It forever surprised the butler that his young master was now as tall as he was. The only thing that remained the same he thought, was the look in his uncovered eye. It was the same haunted expression he forever carried with him, especially since the former Queen Victoria had perished as well as his betrothed.

Lady Elizabeth had been chosen for Ciel after birth to unite the two noble families. Growing up together, they were very close until the Phantomhive mansion was set ablaze by a crazed Angel of destruction. She murdered his parents and left him to be captured by those under its rule. He was branded as one of the tainted and sentenced to death until Sebastian came to him.

He remembered it very clearly. The young boy was trapped in chains, severely beaten and on the brink of death. It was the smell of his soul that captured his attention, the sweet aroma of hatred so strong it was like a fine, well aged wine. Being a hungry, soul eating demon, he was drawn to the scent and offered a contract to him. He would serve him in return for his soul when whatever business he had was complete.

Feeling the familiar brown eyes upon his body, Ciel looked up from his paperwork. The burning wood in the hearth crackled and spit embers above, illuminating the darkened study. Behind him stood tall dual windows that brightened as lightning flashed. Narrowing his eyes at his butler's intense stare, he lowered his papers.

"What is it?"

Lips curled into a mysterious smile, those eyes watched him further. Long sweeping black hair framed his face and curled slightly at the collar of his shirt at the back. He was an impeccable butler dressed in black coat-tail with a matching vest and a crisp white shirt underneath. A small silver chain hung around the front of his waist with a small pocket watch tucked away in the front of his vest. Lifting a white gloved hand, he placed it over his heart and bowed down respectively.

"I was just thinking about how time has flew by," he said casually, straightening to observe his master with that secret smile of his. "You look more like your father every day."

That familiar faraway gaze came over Ciel's features. He had long since dealt with the mystery behind the death of his parents and had gained revenge on all those who had in some way hurt his family name. The relief lifted away a great weight he carried on such small shoulders only to be replaced a few years later when his betrothed and childhood friend, Lady Elizabeth was involved in a carriage accident that killed both her and her maid, Paula.

Stricken with grief, he had locked himself away in his chambers. Continuing his duty, Sebastian played the perfect role of a butler, making sure he ate, bathed and kept up with his studies. Eventually, the boy grew out of his despair only to leave behind more scars upon his soul. It baffled the demon how someone with so much hated could still contain such a pure, well hidden heart.

Having found himself drifting too far into the past, Ciel snapped out of his daze and glared at the demon who continued to smile down upon him. It was true that it surprised him that the demon stuck around this long without trying to take his soul. After all, their contract had been fulfilled and he was just dinner now and yet...he remained alive and the demon remained his loyal butler. After spending years trying to figure out why, he eventually gave up and decided that when Sebastian was ready, he would take him when he pleased. He could care less when or where. It was part of the deal and Ciel never went back on his word.

Setting aside his paperwork with a sigh, Ciel lifted the perfectly baked scone and eyed it carefully. He was hungry indeed, but this little piece wasn't going to satisfy him. Besides, Sebastian had been making scones quite often lately. Lifting his gaze, he scowled.

"Scones again?" he asked, lifting a brow. He dropped the item back onto the gold trimmed porcelain plate and sat back in his chair.

Deep brown eyes simply smiled back at him. "Yes, my Lord. In a few hours it will be supper time and you would not want to spoil your appetite."

Irritated, Ciel glared at his butler before rising to his feet. He turned away to gaze out at the front garden, his hands behind his back. Lately, his thoughts had been preoccupied with the new Queen, Victoria. He had not heard from her in a while and it was beginning to trouble him. He was her guard dog, a protector of London after all.

As if following his trail of thoughts, Sebastian clucked his tongue and reached into his pocket. Watching through the reflection of the window pane, Ciel watched as he produced an envelope with the Queen's seal stamped on the back. Eyes wide, he whirled about and snatched it from the demon's hands, tearing it open quickly. He tossed aside the envelope in a hurry and unfolded the parchment with anxious hands. Reading carefully, yet quickly he paused and re-read the letter again.

Sebastian watched his master's reaction to the letter carefully. He noted that he did indeed re-read the letter three more times, slower then the first before his cheeks were infused with flaming red patches. As if burned by the parchment, he released it and flinched back toward the window, his expression torn between embarrassment and sorrow.

Curious now, Sebastian caught the letter as it drifted toward the floor and carefully read it thoroughly. Surprised, he glanced up at his master to gauge his reaction.

"Well," he said carefully, raising an eyebrow as he set the letter aside on the corner of the mahogany desk. "This is rather unexpected, but not surprising."

Ciel turned his back to the demon, trying to hide his expression. The Queen believed it time for him to move on and marry, so she had chosen an acceptable bride for him. It had already been a year since Lady Elizabeth had passed away and he had not accepted a betrothal with no one else, though many had tried. Though his heart raced within his chest and panic caused a lump in his throat, he schooled his features and turned to Sebastian.

"How dull. I have no time or need for a wife," he said tonelessly, his expression passive as it often was. Sebastian was not fooled, however.

"You are a terrible liar, young master. Tomorrow I was prepare the mansion for our future mistress," he said casually, sweeping down into an elegant bow while Ciel stared.

"Tomorrow? It said nothing in the letter about this woman coming tomorrow!" he cried, snatching the letter from the desk to read it over again. He was dismayed when he found it to be true. Though he had read the letter four times in a row, he had missed one very crucial piece. She indeed was coming tomorrow.

Beyond irritated by this point, Ciel slapped the letter back down and glared at the demon. "The Queen did not even give the name of the woman I will be marrying."

Sebastian lifted a brow and smiled. "Does it really matter? After all, who could choose more wisely then her majesty herself?"

Unable to refute, Ciel brood in silence glaring at the deep cherry wood bookcase in the corner of his study. Bowing, Sebastian excused himself to being preparations for dinner leaving Ciel alone to think. Sighing heavily, he flopped back down into his chair and buried his face into his hands. He would never show it to anyone else, but the unexpected news threatened to reopen old scars of Elizabeth. Though she had been annoying at times, she had been a kind, pure girl that he deeply cared for. They had grown together from childhood and knew all along they were to wed. However, now he was being told to forget his memories of her and take another into the house of Phantomhive. He knew it would someday come to pass because an heir was needed to keep his family name alive. His son would also become the Queen's dog as well when the time came.

Lifting his head, he gazed around the room covered his shadows with nothing but the moonlight at his back to guide him. This is where I will always belong, he thought. Right here in the shadows. Hopefully the Queen had chosen someone who would be able to cope with this fact.

He never realised just how much the Queen understood.