Pitch Black

II

Lady Katherine Fairfax was well known throughout London for her cool beauty and wisdom. She was the head of the major jewellers that housed the Queen's jewels. She was known as the Queen's Guardian and was often seen around England doing favours for her majesty. Her parents had long since passed away, leaving her the last who bore the Fairfax name as well as the business of guarding the crown jewels. However being an unmarried woman with all of her family's property, wealth and business, there needed to be a man to play as her guardian.

Leonhardt had made his appearance when a young Katherine had been kidnapped by a group of terrorists, searching for the crown jewels and her majesty's crown. They had murdered her parents and kidnapped her, stealing her away only torture her in ways beyond imaginable. Not only was she unsuitable to be a marriage candidate for any high standing noble, she was scarred in mind, body and soul. It was only when she had been left for dead in a dirty ditch, did a demon appear and offer a contract to save her life.

With a sigh, Katherine looked away from her paperwork to gaze out at the full moon. It had been a while since she had thought of her first meeting with her loyal guardian, Leo. Forever the memories haunted her of being touched by those disgusting men were constant, but she barely could remember the instant she had met Leo.

Upset that she was allowing her thoughts to get the better of her, she rose to her feet and paced slowly around her study. All four walls were lined with books situated in beautifully crafted mahogany shelves. An elegant crystal chandelier hovered above her head, the many jewels shooting sparks of light throughout the room. Restless, she turned mid step to head for the door when it opened. Startled, she took a step back and rested her hand over her heart.

When she saw those familiar ice blue eyes and blond hair, she breathed a sigh of irritated relief. "Good lord, Leo. You almost gave me a heart attack."

The man smiled and bowed his head respectively. "Forgive me, my lady. I forgot to knock."

Doubtful, she cast him a glance before moving back around her desk to sit while he placed a handsomely crafted tea set before her.

"I will be serving Earl Grey this evening, my lady. For a snack, I have brought fruit mixed with whipped cream and chocolate shavings."

The items were placed before her and she lifted the tea to her lips, sipping before returning the cup to the saucer. She hummed in satisfaction and the butler smiled.

Opening her eyes, she returned his smile. "You always make my favourite whenever I feel out of sorts. I love that about you the most, I should think."

He gave a chuckle and inclined his head. "What sort of butler would I be, if I did not pay attention to my mistress?"

Katherine smiled and sipped her tea casually while Leo played with a letter behind his back. He knew it would be good to get his mistress's mind off of what was troubling her, but he had a bad feeling about this letter. Giving in to his duty, he sighed and placed the envelope on the desk before her. She paused mid way of sampling her snack when she saw the Queen's seal. Straightening her spine and taking a deep breath, she lifted the letter with black silky gloved hands and opened it. Unfolding the letter, she began to read and read again while Leo watched suspiciously.

When the blood drained from her beautiful face, he snatched the letter from her hands and read it himself. He found himself surprised that the Queen would request such a thing. She had chosen a husband for her and it was not the person he ever imagined.

Stunned silver blue eyes lifted to meet his own. "I cannot believe it...the Queen wishes me to marry the Phantomhive boy?"

Leo lifted a brow. "Forgive me, my lady but you both are of the same age and are ranked the same in society. You both are also close to the Queen and her favourites of London. Where you deal with the safety of the crown jewels, Lord Phantomhive does the underground dirty work." He gave a light shrug. "I hate to admit it, but looking at it through the eyes of the Queen, it is a good match."

Katherine rose to her feet feeling panicked and cornered. Since she had been kidnapped, she often suffered from anxiety attacks when she was giving startling news. She began to pace back and forth, wringing her hands as she she breathed in attempts to calm herself. Leo watched patiently, saying nothing, knowing she would soon get over it and act like the cool lady she was.

After a few moments, her heart rate had slowed and her mind cleared. She snorted with disgust at herself and stood before the window with her hands on her hips.

"Damn these attacks!" she cursed in anguish. "I shame myself by acting so pitiful."

Leo smiled, glad to see that his mistress had returned to her formal self. "My lady, it is only natural of course, after all you have suffered. It takes much longer for the mind to heal after such trauma."

Looking over her shoulder, she glared at him. "Marry Ciel Phantomhive, huh?"

His smile disappeared. "Yes, my Lady. That is the Queen's wish."

Clenching her jaw with dislike, she turned and gave a nod. "Very well. Inform them that we shall be paying them a visit. As much as I dislike that despicable man, I have no choice."

Leo scowled, but bowed his head in response. "Yes, my Lady."