Pitch Black

III

Morning had arrived when Ciel heard the familiar sound of fluttering curtains being pushed aside and streams of sunlight to bathe his face. Not the least bit glad for the rude awakening this particular morning, he glared at his butler from his bed. Reaching up with a sigh, he placed his hand over his cursed eye that contained the contract seal binding him to Sebastian. He continued to move his hand through his hair, moving it away from his face as he sat up.

"How long until she arrives?" he asked firmly in an irritated tone as Sebastian carried over his fresh clothing for the day. As always, he took his time dressing his master, making sure nothing was out of place.

Once he was completely dressed, Sebastian reached to the desk beside his master's bed and lifted the eye patch. Smiling, he adorned Ciel's head, sliding the patch into place. A blue eye watched him carefully as he reached out to straighten the front of his blouse.

"She will arrive shortly, Master. Breakfast shall be served shortly as well. For now, please allow me to lead you into the study for your morning tea."

Saying nothing, Ciel rose to his feet and followed the demon to his father's study and sat behind the desk. Glancing at the pile of paperwork, he frowned and turned his attention back to the butler as he gracefully poured tea and slid it toward him. Lifting the priceless china, he sipped the freshly made tea and sighed. Though he would never admit it, Sebastian made one hell of a good tea. Breakfast was served shortly after and thankfully it was not scones.

Once he had finished and everything had been taken away, Ciel moved to the window where he gazed out, expecting to see a carriage at any moment. His heart fluttered with anxiety, nervous about meeting his future bride. What kind of person was she? Who was she?

He wondered about the Queen, what made her make such a rash decision. He took care of all the dirty work for her, took care of all things belonging to the underground. Why would he want to place a noblewoman in such a position? Of course, he maintained a good name for his family, his reputation known far and wide but, his lifestyle was not as what others believed it to be. They knew nothing of what he did under their noses at the Queen's wishes.

Sebastian stood back in the shadows, patiently watching his master's strained features and the tight way he held himself. He could taste the anxiety in the air, the bitterness. He scowled. All such worry over a woman, he thought with dismay. His master was someone who did not ruffle easily and yet, a woman he has never met was already beginning to have an effect on him.

"Do you know who this woman is, Sebastian?" Glancing over his shoulder, Ciel pinned the demon with a firm look.

The demon simply smiled mysteriously and shook his head. "I'm afraid not, young master. Would you like me to go and collect some information?"

Ciel opened his mouth to reply when he noticed the demon's tense posture, his eyes alert and staring straight out the window. His features were more demonic then he had ever seen, his brown eyes now burning crimson. It was such a hostile expression, one he had never seen, it took Ciel by surprise.

"What is it?" he asked, looking from his butler out the window and back again with frustration.

Sebastian said nothing as he continued to stare out the window until he saw a carriage in the distance. It wasn't the structure that worried him, it was the presence similar to his own that did. He could sense another demon, one that was travelling in the carriage with his young master's soon-to-be wife. He snarled and whirled from the room, ignoring his master's calling.

Irritated, Ciel rushed after the demon down the hall toward the front entrance. His clumsy maid, Mey-Rin along with the Cook, Bardroy and the innocent looking young man with the strength of the Hulk stood at the bottom of the stairs eagerly. Frowning, he descended the remaining stairs and glared at Sebastian.

"What is going on?" he demanded in a low voice as the sound of a carriage drew his household servant's attention.

"Oh, she's here!" Mey-Rin squealed excitedly as she blushed behind her large, round framed glasses.

Ciel's hair stood on end, sending a chill down the back of his spine. It was finely the moment when he would meet the woman the Queen had chosen as his bride. Swallowing, he tugged at the collar of his shirt as Sebastian moved to the door, his movements unusually stiff. When he opened it, he neither smiled nor showed any sign of surprise. Instead he glared, giving off a very hostile and dangerous aura that made him curious.

"Welcome to Phantomhive Mansion, my Lady," Sebastian said, sweeping down into a bow as he stepped aside and opened the door further.

Heart pounding loudly within his ears, Ciel swallowed once more and waited until he saw the first glimpse of white blond curls. Surprised with the unique coloured strands, he stepped forward, eyes narrowed.

She stepped into the foyer and literally took everyone's breath away. That glimpse of white blond curls had been just a prelude. Her head was full of them, lush and perfectly coiled about a pretty well defined face with striking features. Her haunting silver blue eyes were just as unique as the colour of her hair and her manner of dress was very much like Gothic culture. Her gown was made of sapphire velvet and black lace, a contrast with her fair skin and hair. Those cat eyes of hers found his and he found himself unable to breathe.

The blue around her irises seemed to dilate, leaving a ring of silver as she assessed him from head to toe. Her eyes narrowed and whatever kindness she had shown Sebastian had disappeared, leaving a cold and bitter frost behind. Surprised and appalled, he stared back at her.

With obvious reluctance, she delicately grabbed the sides of her skirts to lift them as she curtsied.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, my lord. I am Lady Katherine Amelia Rose Fairfax," she said coolly in a sweet, womanly voice that seemed older then her appearance.

Narrowing his eyes, he returned the bow and cast a glance at the person who had accompanied her. As soon as he laid eyes on him, he knew immediately who and what he was. Standing tall like Sebastian, he had eyes as cold as ice. His blond hair was perfectly shaped around his face and combed out of his eyes. He wore a similar coat of a butler and contained that same mysterious smile. Even if he had not noticed this, Sebastian's murderous aura was a dead giveaway. The man never had such a reaction unless he felt his prey was threatened.

Sebastian glared at the opposing demon posing as a butler. The man watched him carefully as well, staying close to his mistress's side. He could taste the air around him, taste his strength and sense how strong he was. He was very powerful indeed, but nothing compared to Sebastian himself. This made the butler smile and relax his posture. He gave a snarl though, when the stranger suddenly took a curious interest in his young master. It was expected that other demons would scent him out, seeing as his soul was so pure and yet contained so much hatred. It was a heavenly feast for a demon.

Katherine heard the low snarl, a sound she was very familiar with and turned to regard the Phantomhive butler. She looked him from head to toe, finding his features to be very handsome. She could also sense his strength and could not find any noticeable weakness. Glancing to the Phantomhive himself, she saw that he was curious with the situation as well. It surprised her to know that he also had a contract with a demon much like her own.

"Two demons within the same household? Oh my," she sang with amusement, covering her lips slightly. "How interesting."

Ciel focused his attention on the young woman standing beside him. This was the woman who the Queen had chosen as his bride. The Queen must have known they were alike because she too, had a contract with a demon. This also meant she had a tragic childhood much like himself. Gritting his teeth, he could not deny that the Queen had chosen wisely. This woman would be able to handle his type of lifestyle and more.

"I'm not entirely sure if I like this arrangement," Sebastian said with intense dislike as he glared at the blond haired demon, who managed a forced back in response.

"Likewise, Sebastian Michaelis. It has never been heard of, two demons living under the same roof," Leo said, obviously disliking the situation as well, and Ciel sighed in annoyance.

"Destroy anything in my home and you will both will regret it. Understood?" he said firmly, his eye trained on Sebastian who glared down upon him.

Bending to his will, he bowed down in the familiar pose. "Yes, my lord."

Katherine, who had long since grown tired of the play by play between the two demons cleared her throat to capture their attention. Smiling when she did, she looked to Ciel with raised eyebrows.

"Can you show me to my room, please? I would like to rest a little and freshen up. It has been a long trip," she said with a chilled smile and sent shivers down Ciel's spine.

Wanting to get away from the bitterness of the stranger, he looked to Sebastian. "Show her to the guest room, Sebastian." He turned and headed to the direction of his study. "I will have my afternoon tea in the study as usual."

The demon bowed and turned to the guests, smiling down only at Katherine. He gestured down the hall.

"Please, follow me. I shall escort you to your room, my lady."

Leading the way down the hall, Katherine took the time to observe the paintings on the walls and the portraits. She had noticed that in the main entrance hall where the staircase split into two, a large portrait was missing. Though she was curious, she would not ask knowing that there must have been a good reason why it was no longer there.

Once the butler had escorted them to the large, beautifully furnished guest room and left to prepare lunch, Katherine turned to her demon companion.

"I was unaware that the Phantomhive residence housed a demon," she said with a lifted brow.

Leo stroked his chin thoughtfully, his eyes narrowed. "I was unaware of this also, until we neared the mansion and I sensed his overwhelming presence. He is a very strong demon, my lady. You should take care when I am not by your side."

Taking his warning into consideration, she moved to the window to gaze down below to the large garden. Slowly, she began to smile with excitement.

"This should be rather entertaining, indeed."