Pitch Black

IV

When Katherine woke the next morning with the sun shining through a different angle then she was used to, she shot upright with fear. Her heart raced and adrenaline rushed through her veins as she took in the entire room in one quick sweep. When they settled on Leo's form by the window, watching her carefully she breathed a sigh of relief. Reaching up, she swept back her untidy curls and gazed out at the rising sun. Yesterday they had arrived at the Phantomhive Mansion. It disturbed her that she was still not used to waking up in strange places.

"Breakfast should be ready soon, my lady. Please, allow me to help you dress," he said casually, his voice low as he gestured to a carefully chosen gown of crystal blue and white lace.

Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she gracefully moved her legs from the bed and rose to her feet. She was beyond used to Leo dressing her and seeing her in her undergarments. Sleepily, she followed Leo to the corner of the room with a full length mirror and allowed him to work his magic. He had always been superb with fashion and hairstyles. Once she was fully dressed, he sat her down in a chair and began to work with her hair. He combed the silky curls delicately and pinned the front out of her face in a perfect do that gave her a womanly appearance, that of a noble.

Just as he was pinning the last curl, there was a knock on the door. That knock to him sounded much like nails on a chalk board, especially since he knew who it was on the other side of that door. Successfully pinning the last strand of hair, he turned narrowed eyes toward the door as it creaked open.

Sebastian appeared in all his glory and bowed down respectively and smiled. "My master is awaiting you in the dining hall. Breakfast will be served shortly, but for now tea is being served. Please, follow me."

Curious with the demon, Katherine followed behind with Leo right at her very side. When his arm brushed against her own, she smiled wryly knowing he was uptight and most likely a tad bit jealous of the other handsome butler. He thinks that I am going to be stolen away, she mused, holding her head high with empowerment.

When Sebastian opened the doors to the dining hall, Katherine swept the room with a glance and raised her eyebrows in surprise. The Phantomhive's were a well known and very wealthy family. Judging how every room in the mansion had at least some traces of expensive gold and jewels, she knew it to be true first hand. What a snob he must truly be, she thought as she met his unabashed stare.

The first time she met him, she knew immediately exactly where his contract seal was. The closer it was to the soul itself, the stronger the contract would be. She herself had the seal in her eyes, thought unlike Ciel, hers did not show other then the strange luminescent silver rings around her irises.

Sebastian breezed into the hall pushing a silver cart that contained silver platters with our meal. He handed each of them out in that elegant way of his and removed my top. Steam rose up along with the delicious smell of French Toast and homemade hash browns that had both been cooked to perfection. The spices made her mouth water as she smiled up at him in thanks. Returning the smile, he prepared her a cup of fresh jasmine tea and moved onward. After sampling the unique french toast and was satisfied, she turned her attention to Ciel who ate in silence with that grumpy look on his face as always.

"So Ciel," she began, wondering what exactly to say to someone like him. "The Queen has made an odd choice, don't you think?"

It was silent as Leo lifted his gaze to regard her with raised eyebrows, while Ciel continued to eat in silence. When he finished the remains of his breakfast and polished off his tea, he rose to his feet with a reluctant sigh and glanced at her.

"Come to the Study. We shall discuss this arrangement there," he said firmly, casting a glance to his butler. "Bring some tea, then work on cleaning this place. Your presence will not be needed."

Catching the hint, Katherine shared a look with Leo and though he did not look very happy about it, he inclined his head to show he understood her silent orders. Turning to Sebastian, he grimaced but followed the other demon toward the kitchen to prepare some fresh tea.

Turning her attention back to her future husband, she followed behind him out into the hallway where he led her to his study. Just as the rest of the manor, the Study was beautifully built and furnished to that of a high ranking member of society. The tall crafted bookcases covered all four walls, crowded with new and old books. A small chandelier hung from the centre of the room, creating the perfect ambience. Ciel took his place in the tall chair behind the large dark mahogany desk and gestured to the seat opposite.

Instead of doing as he wished, she gracefully stepped toward him, off to the side to gaze out the window. The garden below was indeed something to behold. Smiling, she glanced down at him from where she stood.

"You have a fine taste in flowers," she said casually, attempting to strike up conversation.

Ciel said nothing for a moment and just watched her. Lifting a perfectly shaped brow, she waited. He sighed once more and leaned back in his chair, his gaze softening slightly. He was obviously uncomfortable.

"As a matter of fact, that garden was my mother's doing. She was a fan of the flowers," he said quietly, his gaze looking out the window, a faraway look in his eyes. Intrigued, Katherine opened her mouth to see if she could get him to say more, but thought the better of it. She knew what it was like to her lose one's parents.

With a grim expression, she followed his gaze. "I can tell. She put much love into this garden."

Oddly curious, he glanced at her. "How can you tell?"

It was an odd question for a man such as himself, but Katherine treated him to a genuine smile. "The way the flowers are arranged by colour scheme, and how she only planted certain ones beside each other. In a way, it reminds me of music sheet the way the notes rise and fall."

Ciel had never heard someone say something so poetic and romantic about his mother's garden before. Of course they were admired, but no one had ever thought to look so deep into the feelings she had placed in them. Watching the elegant young woman smile out at the garden suddenly made him want to personally show it to her. When he saw her glance at him, look down and blink in confusion, he too looked down only to find himself surprised. He unknowingly extended his hand to her like a gentleman should when he was about to ask for a dance or a walk.

Face bursting into flames, he pulled his hand back and stuttered an apology. The beautiful porcelain doll of a girl stared back at him in surprise until those riveting eyes softened and a smile formed on her lips. In turn, she extended a graceful hand to him. Blushing furiously, he looked at her in mortification as she laughed into her hand softly.

"You know, you are absolutely adorable when you get all flustered, my lord," she said in amusement as she slipped her arm through his own. She smiled up at him as they walked steadily down the hall. "Would you care to show me the garden? I guarantee those flowers smell positively sinful."

Sinful indeed, Ciel thought wryly as his heart pounded deep within his chest. She was a predator with her sharp, alluring eyes and cleverness. Trying to calm his racing heart, he cast his gaze heavenward. God help me.