Pitch Black

V

Katherine sipped her tea leisurely while the piercing eyes of Ciel Phantomhive shot daggers of annoyance straight into the side of her face. She tried very hard not to smile but alas, she could not keep a straight face. She allowed her lips to curl accordingly and cast him a side glance, eyebrow raised with faux curiosity.

"Is there something the matter, Ciel?" she asked politely, watching that single uncovered eye grow darker and glitter like a sapphire gemstone. She had to admit, he had a very convincing intimidating look to him that suggested he was far more dangerous then he seemed.

His composure remained the same, glaring at her from afar. "I believe we have things to do today. If you wish to accompany me, you damn well better hurry or I shall leave you right where you are."

Surprised and a little intrigued by the tone of his voice, she set down her tea and turned to him with wide eyes. Her cheeks heated slightly under his intense stare and she found herself wanting to fan herself. It had suddenly grown unbearably hot in the dining room. Laughing softly in an attempt to cover it up, she flashed him a smile.

"Oh dear, I believe I have upset the young master," she teased with a sly smile to Leo, wiggling her eyebrows as he fought the urge to roll his eyes. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he sighed in exasperation.

"What he says is true however, my lady. There are many things that the Earl needs to have done before dusk," he said seriously, peircing her with a gaze that told so many things.

She noted the glint in those eyes and understood that she had overstepped her boundaries. With a gloomy sigh, she mustered a smile to the Earl and bowed her head in apology.

"Forgive me, Ciel. I apologize for acting like a child when there is much to be done. Please, let us go before it gets too late," she said, smiling as Leo pulled out her chair for her and rose to her feet. Without a glance, she turned and disappeared out toward the entrance.

Flustered and more then slightly annoyed, Ciel ran his hand through his hair. At one time, he believed Elizabeth to be the only woman to ever annoy him like this. However, there was not much of a difference between his late fiancee and his current one. Rising to his feet, he frowned as Sebastian helped him slip into his tailored jacket. That's not true, he thought as they moved together to where Katherine waited, gazing out the window passively. She had a serious side, one that could be rather scary. She had a personality much like himself. She was a little crazy with her theatrics, and yet those eyes were so much haunted then most.

Sebastian handed him his cane, a special heirloom from his late father. He accepted it without a word and paused to watch Katherine. Slowly she turned her attention away from the window when she felt she was being watched. Seeing the three men eyeing her, she managed a warm smile and moved to join them.

"Shall we?" she asked, looking to Ciel. Her breath caught strangely in her throat when she noticed him watching her with a hooded expression. The familiar heat threatened to fill her cheeks and turned away quickly, feeling oddly flustered. She had never experienced this sort of feeling before and it unnerved her.

"Are you tired of being here?" he asked bluntly. Suddenly surprised by such a straightforward question, she turned to him with wide eyes.

"What?" she asked, her brows furrowed in bewilderment. "Of course not, my Lord. You have a beautiful home and wonderful servants. I find it rather pleasant, I can assure you."

Ciel noted those wide eyes and the confusion that filled them. Releasing the breath he had been holding, he sighed and set his hat atop his head.

"I am glad. If you are ever bored, please let me know and I will do what I can to rectify the situation."

In complete awe of such unusual behavior, she gaped at him as he stode passed with another sparing her a glance nor a word. Frowning, she followed after him as Sebastian held the door open for her. Leo waited for her at the carriage and held out his hand. She gracefully accepted it and stepped into the lovely black carriage to settle in across from Ciel. He looked to his butler before he closed the door and she got to witness a secret look between the two of them. Hiding her smile, she turned her attention toward the opposing window as the door closed. She knew what those looks meant, for she often shared them with her own companion.

The horses whinnied following the crack of a whip and the carriage began to move steadily away from the manor. Watching the lovely garden as they passed, Katherine sighed quietly. Though she was glad to get out and about, Ciel had not given a clue as to what they were going to be doing.

Even though curiosity killed the cat, she looked to Ciel, took a breath and managed a smile. "So what shall we be doing today, my Lord?"

Ciel turned his attention away from the landscape to the woman inside his carriage. He noted that her smile was more then forced, if a little lonely and it certainly did not reach her eyes. Though he would rather not care whether she was upset or not, he did not like it when she acted so strangely. He was used to routine and preferred if it remained the same. It was troublesome when things did not go accordingly.

"I have some errands to run," he said simply, watching her intensely. Something about her bothered him today just a little.

Feeling unnerved under such a gaze, she adverted her eyes with a weak smile and sighed. "I suppose it is none of my business as to where your errands will be taking us."

With a frown, Ciel decided he did not like her tone. "If you would much rather stay at the manor, by all means," he replied testily.

Feeling a spark in her temper, she pinned him with a look. "Seeing as you seem to be in a rather moody position today, I think it would be best if I did stay."

Instantly her tone went from light and quiet, to an intimidating frost. Her eyes sparkled fiercely to back her tone and such gained attention from the demon at her side. He gazed down at her through slitted eyes, his expression passive. Sebastian had noticed as well and was eyeing her with curiosity and intrigue. Ciel narrowed his eyes at his butler and returned his gaze to his future wife.

He gestured to the carriage door. "Then it should do you go, a nice walk."

Instead of getting a reaction he had expected, he watched her expression grow blank. It was a mask he was well known for himself. Staring, he wondered if he looked the same way to others as she did to him. It was a very lifeless expression, one he was not sure he cared to see with his own eyes.

She turned her head slightly, not meeting the gaze of her butler. "Leo," she commanded quietly.

With the incline of his head, he reached over to open the carriage door and jumped onto the ledge. He turned and held out his hand, pulling Katherine out of the carriage and disappeared onto the road side. Surprised that she had actually done it, Ciel put his head out the window and saw them standing on the side of the road. His eyes met hers for a quick, jolting moment before she was scooped up and both vanished from sight.

Feeling oddly betrayed, the poor master was in a horrid mood for the rest of the day.