Pitch Black

VI

It had been a few days since the two of them had talked. Sebastian was growing tired of watching them dance around each other at all hours of the day. This morning, he had received a letter from the Queen with the finalized date of the wedding. It was to be a small affair with her majesty present as well as those who knew the happy couple. He gave a snort. Happy indeed.

Making sure the tea was prepared, he set them on the silver cart and made his rounds. First, he visited Lady Katherine who often enjoyed her time outside in the garden. She sat at little table setting he had set up specifically for her and smiled when she turned to him. When she glanced at the tea and cake he had brought, she smiled warmly.

"Ah, Sebastian," she mused as he prepared her cup of tea and cake. "You make the most delicious tea and cakes."

He could feel the death glare of the demon beside him and smiled under such praise. He was growing to enjoy this young woman more and more.

"Thank you for such kind words, Lady Katherine. I only provide the best of the best for my lord and his guests," he said slyly with that unique smile of his.

Katherine laughed softly and tilted her head. "Dear Sebastian, did you mean to rhyme on purpose?"

He straightened, placing his hands behind his back as he looked down at her in amusement. "But of course."

She giggled again, sounding more childlike then she had when she had first arrived. Inside of her there was an innocence that much reminded him of his master. An innocence that roused his appetite. There was nothing like a tainted soul that still contained so much purity. At the thought, his eyes began to glow crimson.

A dark shadow crept over him, a dangerous aura that made him lift his brows with interest. Stealing a glance with a smile on his lips, he noted the murderous look in the other demons eyes. He was threatening him with those blood red eyes. It was a warning to stay away. She was already taken. Oh, I know, he thought as he smiled back down at Katherine. I have my master, a rare food type that I am unwilling to get rid of despite how much I want you--in more ways then one.

Deciding it was time to bring Ciel his tea, he bowed and headed back indoors. He found his master as always, in his father's old study playing with chess by himself. When he was stressed or something was bothering him, he would play with the chess pieces. Today, he was toying with the Queen and gazing at it with a forlorn expression.

"You are late," he said flatly without casting him a glance. He continued to play with the chess piece as Sebastian pushed the tray inside and began pouring his tea.

"I apologize. I had a brief visit with Lady Katherine outside in the garden." He slid the tea cup toward him, watching for a reaction.

Ciel's eyebrows drew together in a look of frustration at the mention of her name. Sebastian gave a sigh and reached into his breast pocket.

"I apologize for not having told you sooner, but a message from the Queen has arrived early this morning," he said quietly, holding it out. It was snatched from his grasps just as quickly as it had appeared.

Tearing open the contents hurriedly, Ciel opened the letter and began to read. As his eye passed over the words, his eyebrows lifted in shock. Mouth hanging open, he glanced up at Sebastian wordlessly. In return, the demon gave a tiny shrug.

Tossing the parchment down into his desk, he turned toward the window and sighed deeply. He stood there with folded arms, his head hung. Grinding his teeth, he glanced over his shoulder with a grave expression that seemed troubled a tad bit embarrassed.

"Why would the Queen make the wedding so soon? We only just met each other not that long ago," he said softly, deeply more troubled then he appeared. Sebastian lifted a brow of intrigue.

"I believe her majesty simply wishes to see you married off and well cared for. She deemed Lady Katherine to be the best match for a young man such as you," he said honestly, pouring some more tea.

It's much too soon! Ciel clenched his jaw and turned to face the demon. "Has Lady Katherine been informed?"

The butler straightened and shook his head. "I am afraid she has yet to be informed. I thought it best you wait and have you relay the message in person instead of me."

He glared at the handsome demon. It was so like Sebastian to do something such as that. Snatching the letter, he stormed around the demon and out the door to where Lady Katherine enjoyed her. As soon as he stepped outside, he squinted and shielded his eyes from the sun. Gazing out toward the garden, he saw her walking about the rows of flowers with her companion as well as others.

From his familiar appearance and his strangely quiet, yet deadly companion, he recognized Lau and Ran-Mao. It was not an odd thing to randomly find them about the manor without a word. It was something he had naturally come to expect from the odd pair. His eyes adverted to the Lady Katherine as she spoke with them easily, a smile on her face. Leo stuck close to her, his eyes never straying too far from her face. Narrowing his eyes, Ciel scowled. It was a look he had come to recognize--a look that said more then words ever could.

Her laughter filled the air and his gaze was once again brought back upon her graceful form. Today she had chosen an ivory gown with gold trim and lacing, enhancing her delicate creamy skin and her enchanting moonlight eyes. The breeze played with her everflowing locks, framing her body and face like a caress. It did funny things to the heart whenever he looked at her acting so carefree. Slightly annoyed at the path his thoughts had taken, he stepped forward with purpose.

Before she could continue her conversation with the strange aquaintance of Ciel's, she spotted him walking toward them, his eye locked on hers. Giving him her full attention, she took that moment to appreciate the fine man he was. From his tall stature to his handsome good looks, she felt herself grow warm and it was not from the sun. The way he looked at her with such an intense stare made her hot in places she was unaccustomed to feeling such sensations. Startled, she breathed deeply and tried to calm her racing heart as he approached.

Looking down at her, he could not help but realise how beautiful she looked on this summer's day in her ivory gown, a vision of pure innocence. Those silvery eyes gazed up at his filled with surprise and an emotion he was unsure of. A delicate blush sprinkled over her cheeks and bridge of her nose before she adverted her gaze, her expression oddly flustered.

Pushing his thoughts aside, he got right to the matter at hand. He held out the Queen's letter and saw her eyes widened before she accepted it, reading it over. Her plush lips parted and she glanced at him in confusion.

"So soon?" she choked, more then a little surprised at the letter's contents. She placed a hand at her throat, a movement of a lady who felt uneasy.

He stole a glance at Lau who watched the two of them with keen interest. Leo moved over to stand at her side and read the letter over her shoulder. Almost too close, Ciel thought as he narrowed his eyes noting the way she moved against him with the ease of being companions for her entire life.

"It would seem we shall be preparing for a wedding," he said with a smile that did not match his eyes. He gazed down affectionately at Katherine. "We must tailor a wedding dress fit for such a lady as yourself."

Katherine seemed dazed as she stared down at the letter in her grasp. "But...so soon," she whispered.

Ciel felt his eye twitch. "Would it be so horrible to be wedded to me so early?"

His eyes widened in surprise at hearing his own words while everyone turned to him. A faint blush crept into his cheeks and with irritation, he looked away angrily. He did not know why, but seeing her so bewildered and fearful made him angry. Could marrying him be so impossible? Was he truly that horrid of a person?

Katherine swallowed the lump in her throat and shook her head. "Of course not, my lord. I am just surprised is all," she assured quietly and smiled weakly. "I mean, we have only just met not too long ago. It is so sudden."

He glanced at her carefully. "Whatever the Queen wishes, we have no choice but to obey."

She nodded meekly, looking down at the lush grass they stood upon. "I understand this of course. I am not complaining, Ciel. As I said, it simply was a surprise and nothing more. I had thought she would give us more time to become aquainted." She felt slightly sick and happy at the same time, though she kept that to herself.

He gave a nod and sighed quietly. "Forgive me for my rudeness. Of course this would be such a shock. I had been thinking the same thing but it seems she wishes to wait no longer. We must prepare."

At that moment, Sebastian appeared and smiled at the two of them. Seeing their flushed expressions and tasting the awkwardness made his smile widen and eyes sparkle.

"We must begin preparations immediately. The Queen will be sending her own personal dressmaker to help create a gown fit for a Phantomhive bride," he assured.

Katherine breathed deeply and glanced at her companion with worried eyes. He seemed to feel the same way as he gazed back, his expression unreadable. As always, his eyes spoke all the words he wished he could say. Swallowing, she turned to her guests and tried to make light of the situation. She smiled at Lau.

"Will you be attending this event, Mr. Lau? I only just met you, but you seem to be very close to my soon-to-be husband," she said sweetly as he smiled in return.

"Why, of course!" he sang. "My dear friend is finally getting married after all. How could I not attend?"

Katherine smiled. For a first meeting, she was quite taken with the strange chinese man and his beautiful silent cat-eyed companion. Looking to Leo, she nodded.

"We must prepare. Come Leo," she said, beckoning to him. "I have some ideas that I wish you to sketch for me."

Watching them, Ciel mustered up the courage to hold out his arm. If she was to be his wife, he had better grow accustomed to her presence and acting as a husband should.

"May I escort you, Katherine?" he asked, his voice oddly husky.

She stared at him in surprise and down to his extended hand. Shivers traveled over her flesh, leaving bumps in their wake as she placed her hand in his and allowed herself to be led away with their demon companions in tow.

Lau smiled as he watched the couple head inside. "What do you say, Ran-Mao? Attending such an event for the young Earl should prove interesting, don't you think?"

The young woman said nothing and simply curled into his side, her arm draped across his shoulders lazily. Lau gazed around the garden and sighed.

"Who would have thought that I would be alive to see the day when the Earl got married?"

Inside, Katherine allowed herself to be led to her chambers. They stopped just outside her door and she removed her arm from his, stepping away shyly. She suddenly felt awkward around the Earl in a way she had not before. Something had changed, she thought. The intensity of their interactions had grown stronger and she did not know what to do in response. The fact that he had said her name without honorifics made her feel vulnerable. The seed of her feelings for him began to grow, ready to blossom and it frightened her. She had never felt this way about anyone before, not even Leo. It was a feeling she had long since forgotten since the death of her parents--love.

Ciel looked at her carefully, wondering what life was going to be like with a wife. He tried to picture her hosting tea parties, wearing elegant gowns fit of a Phantomhive wife. A thought occured to him suddenly, one he never would have thought about and he blushed in mortifcation. The wedding night was part of the sacred ceremony, a part he would not be able to avoid. After all, to keep his lineage alive he would need an heir.

Katherine watched the emotions on his face, and saw the fierce fiery blush that consumed his face. His look of mortification surprised her, made her wonder just exactly what he was thinking of. Tilting her head, she looked at him curiously.

"Is something wrong?" she asked quietly, voicing her concern with a frown.

She watched with interest as he hid his mouth behind a hand, the blush growing more intense as he took a step away, avoiding her probing gaze.

"N-nothing," he stuttered before turning and disappearing down the hall.

Confused, she looked to Leo for help. He looked unpleasant as he opened the door and ushered her inside.

Closing the door, he turned to her seriously. "I believe he was thinking of your wedding night."

Having no experience in these matters since she had been raised by Leo himself, she stared at him blankly. He sighed and gently pushed her onto the edge of her bed. Bending down, he knelt before her.

"On the day you will wed, that night you must comsumate the marriage. It is a tradition that seals the marriage itself," he explained with a grave face. "My lady, the eve of your wedding you will have to sleep with Lord Phantomhive."

Katherine allowed those words to sink in before her eyes widened in horror and her face went up in flames.

"I have to sleep with him?" she squeaked, her eyes bright with embarrassment. She had never heard of such a thing!

Leo gave a nod and smiled up at her reassuringly. "As much as it pains me to admit it, the Earl will be a very gentle, kind lover for you."

Feeling sick, Katherine rose to her feet and began to pace the room. She tried to steady her breathing as images of the two of them alone together filled her mind. Why, he would have to undress her, his hands would touch her in places no man has ever touched. His lips would cover her body and...

The room grew hot the more she thought of Ciel's hands touching her. It was not hard to imagine and she wondered if she was as afraid as she felt. In a way, she rather liked the idea. However, she barely knew the man!

"I am a little afraid," she admitted, looking to Leo with bright eyes filled with tears.

Seeing them, the demon rose and gathered her close to him for comfort. He rested a hand on her hair and smiled lovingly.

"Do not fret. I will not allow him to harm you in any fashion. I will always be here, my Lady," he assured softly, stroking her wavy locks soothingly.

From the shadows beyond the window, Sebastian watched the odd display before him with narrowed eyes. As a demon, they hungered for the souls of humans only. They were food and nothing more. Seeing another demon blatantly showing displays of emotions for a human was taboo. Slinking away, he had decided that he had seen enough. He returned to his master's chambers, finding him sitting on the edge of his bed with an odd expression on his face.

Stepping onto the balcony, he glanced down at his master. "Thinking of the wedding night, I presume?" When Ciel's face turned red, he gave a sigh and began measuring the young master for his suit.

"You realise that in order for you to have an heir, you need to sleep with Lady Katherine," he said with a mocking tone, an eyebrow raised from behind his spectacles.

Ciel glared at the demon hard. "I am well aware of that!" he snapped testily. It was obvious he was more then just a little unnerved about it.

Moving around him, Sebastian smiled. "Good. I believe it was a part of your studies to know the art of making love."

When Ciel looked ready to spontaneously combust from embarrassment, Sebastian chuckled and stood back to admire his work. He had chosen a black velvet material for the tailored jacket he would wear at the altar.

"It would be wise of you to get over your embarrassment. I can imagine that no man has ever laid a hand on Lady Katherine and she will be quite afraid as any virgin woman would be."

Ciel grit his teeth at the chosen topic of conversation. He had no experience with woman, even when Elizabeth had been alive. He knew how to treat a lady, to show respect and such but...not anything romantic in the ways of lovers. Casting a hidden glance at Sebastian, he knew the demon knew more then his fair share about women.

"As much as I dislike to ask such a question, could you advise me on the matter?" he asked reluctantly.

Sebastian looked at his ward in surprise. He had never thought he would ask him for help about women. Then again, he had next to no experience in the matters of the heart and the like. He smiled and clapped his hands together.

"Why, of course my Lord. After all, if you produce an heir on the first try it will be even better," he said with a wicked smile and a tall-telling sparkle in his eye.

Seeing this, Ciel immediately began to regret asking for help.
♠ ♠ ♠
^^