Pitch Black

VIII

That evening when they had returned home, Katherine escaped straight to her chambers. This left Ciel concerned and suspicious as to the reasons why she had been so affected by Alois's appearance. His lips curled into a sneer at the thought. Alois Trancy was the one person he had never wanted to see again.

Sebastian knocked on the door of his study. Turning, Ciel looked pointedly at his butler. As soon as they had arrived home, he had demanded that the demon find out everything he could about his wife to be. There was obviously something there in her history and he wanted to know what it was. He watched Sebastian, who had remained silent while he poured the tea carefully. His expression was the same as always, though the usual devious smile was nowhere to be found. In fact, he looked quite angry in his own silent way. His scarlet eyes were flashing though his expression never changed.

"So?" Ciel demanded, unable to wait anymore. The sense of dread was building higher to the peak. Deep down he knew something was terribly wrong. What had his butler learn about Lady Fairfax?

Sebastian straightened once he had finished setting out a perfectly sliced piece of freshly baked apple rhubarb pie and tea. His expression was one he rarely had the pleasure of seeing. True distain and hatred.

"Young Master...I have discovered some things that you will not find pleasant in the least about Lady Katherine," he said honestly, his voice hard.

Ciel's heart leapt at the forboding tone and sweat formed on his brow. Just what went on between Katherine and Alois?

Deciding he should be sitting for this, he moved behind his desk and sat down in his father's old chair. There, he lifted his gaze to Sebastian and waited.

The butler sighed and straightened his shoulders, looking pointedly at his young master. "It would seem that Lady Katherine had been kidnapped by Lord Trancy three years ago and was held captive in his dungeon."

He was so unprepared for this. Ciel stared at the butler, unable to form the words he wished to say, eyes wide in horror. Alois had held her captive? For what?

When he didn't speak, Sebastian took this as a sign to continue. "She was held prisoner in his estate for approximately three years and had only managed to escape last year with the help of Leonhardt."

His heart pounded with dread, threatening to burst through his chest. The thought of such a beautiful, kind woman being held captive by that disgusting insect of a man made his blood boil.

"What happened to her down there?" he croaked, his voice hoarse with emotions he barely understood.

Sebastian's eyes narrowed, gleaming crimson as his expression darkened. "She was tortured and used as a sex slave for the entire time."

He snapped. Slamming his fists down on the desk, he jumped to his feet with rage. "Where was Leonhardt? Is it not his job to keep her safe?" he demanded, trembling furiously with barely concealed anger.

Sebastian was not phased by his master's reactions. Truthfully, he would have liked to kill the beast himself along with his enstranged butler.

"Leonhardt was too imprisoned and tortured by Claude. He only managed to escape by reserving his strength for the right moment. When he broke free and managed to get passed Claude, he immediately went to Lady Katherine's aid and fled."

Ciel turned to face the window, watching the black rolling clouds of a storm coming. The lightning and loud claps of thunder matched his furious rage. It was no wonder that she held such a haunted look in her eyes constantly. Her reaction to Alois earlier now made perfect sense and it only angered him further. He had never wanted to see such an expression and emotion on her face.

Before the conversation could continue, a tiny knock sounded on the door before it opened slightly to reveal both Leonhardt and Katherine. She was dressed in her night gown, her curly hair cascading down her back freely. From the glare the demon gave the two men, he had overheard the entire conversation. Katherine on the other hand, seemed withdrawn but better then she had been.

Her eyes flickered back and forth between the two of them. "Am I intruding?" she asked quietly, unsure.

The pain was so sudden and powerful, Ciel wanted to clutch his chest. Looking at the beautiful young woman before him, he could not believe that she had undergone such horrible times and made it out alive. Especially when the villan was none other then Alois Trancy, a crazy lunatic of a man whose life was nothing but illusions.

Steming his rage, he took a step toward her and held out his hand. "Of course not, my Lady. Please, join me for tea before retiring."

He watched as her expression turned to that of surprise as she accepted his hand. He sat her down across from him while Sebastian disappeared only to return with another piece of pie. He watched as she smiled up at his butler, his heart clenching at the sight. He knew now that she was no virgin, knew that she had no choice in the matter. He just could not imagine it, how it could happen to someone like her.

She sipped her tea daintly and sighed, smiling up at Sebastian again. "You always know the perfect remedy to soothe me."

He bowed with a gentle smile. "Of course, my Lady. I have learned quite a bit about you since you have been here."

She laughed softly and touched his face. "Thank you very much for your hospitality and kindness, Sebastian. It is greatly appreciated."

Ciel watched the play between them, noticing Leonhardt's sour expression. It softened just as quickly when she turned to him, touching his hand as if for support. After all she had been through, he was indeed the one who had saved her. However, he had taken too long. His blood began to churn once again at the very thought of the years she had endured because he was biding his time.

"How do you know Alois Trancy?" he asked quietly, getting straight to the heart of the matter.

He gauged the reactions of them. Katherine had turned white as a ghost, and crimson leaked into Leonhardt's eyes. Sebastian did not seem surprised in the least.

"I-I'm sorry?" she stuttered, her eyes too bright. He grit his teeth at the terrified expression she gazed at him with.

"Why did you react in such a way with Alois Trancy?" he asked louder, unable to contain his rolling emotions.

Her mouth opened and closed as she looked to her companion fearfully.

Leo bared his fangs. "What is this? You ask her to join you, and it was just for interrogation?"

Ciel was about to snap. So many emotions he was unfamiliar with rolled deep inside of him like the storm raging beyond his window. Sebastian seemed to sense this and looked to Leonhardt to catch his attention.

"I believe our masters have something that needs to be discussed in private. You shall help me in the kitchen," he said firmly, leaving no room for argument.

He was about to protest when Katherine raised her hand to silence him. His eyes widened with dread as she lifted her face to smile reassuringly, though she was deathly pale.

"Go with Sebastian, Leo. He is right," she said softly, turning her gaze to look at Ciel with such grief that it made him want to weep. "We do have some things to discuss privately."

Ciel watched the demon clench his jaw repeatedly before closing his eyes and forcing himself to turn away. Sebastian bowed to the two of them before following him out, silently closing the door behind them. Silence filled the room as Katherine gazed down at her hands folded on her lap.

He took a breath and prepared himself. "Sebastian has uncovered your secret."

She did not lift her head. "I know."

This angered him further. Slapping his hands on the desk, he rose to his feet to tower over her cowering frame.

"How could you not tell me that that bastard kept you as a concubine for three years?" he cried in disbelief.

He felt as though he had been pierced through the heart when she lifted her gaze, those haunted eyes of hers now were nothing more then voids into the darkness. As a defensive reaction, she had shut down and was no more then a mere marionette.

Staring at her, watching the transformation as her eyes dulled automatically he inhaled sharply. Never before had he thought he would be staring at himself the way he used to be after his parents had died. It frightened him to think that he would have been this way if it weren't for Sebastian.

He wondered if this was something she would be able to overcome, or if it would drag her farther down into the depths of darkness that had smothered her soul.