Pitch Black

IX

The sensation of having ones heart torn in two was almost unbearable. It had been one of the most hardest things Leonhardt had ever had to do, to walk away from his mistress as he was commanded. Watching her withdraw herself, feeling the sadness and despair flow off her in pulsing waves was more then he could take. The furious rage he had felt toward's the Phantomhive boy was intense and swift--he would have torn him to pieces if she were not watching. His demon companion, Sebastian left no room for argument as he escorted him from the room, to the kitchen.

He said nothing as he began prepping for his master's bedtime tea. The way he moved gave away his position and title in the demon world, though no mortal would ever understand the difference. His movements were swift and sure, nothing done out of place. He was dangerous and lethal. Those soulless brown eyes turned Leo's way in that sly expression of his, so well known to his race.

"Is something troubling you?" he murmured as his hands continued to prepare though his eyes never left the other demons. A faint tint of crimson grew like swirls of smoke.

Leonhardt felt a twinge of anger and clamped his jaws together tightly. This demon was toying with him, he could see his intentions in his gaze and the way his lips curled slightly in the corner, taunting. It was what demons did best, especially to their own kind. Leonhardt was known as a traitor among demons, for having feelings for the soul that was his food.

"I do not trust you," he ground out through clenched teeth, "So why on earth would I say anything to you?"

The butler shrugged lightly, brushing it off as if it were nothing and smiled. Leo's inner rage began to simmer slowly, beginning to shine out through his eyes. No matter his status, Sebastian was the biggest player of them all. He thrived on the hunt, and played with his toys without mercy. He was cunning and conniving. He would latch on to your insecurities and use them against you to bring you to his feet before he devoured you in your purest form. He was a special kind of twisted.

The other demon's eyes widened slightly when he focused on Leo with pleasant surprise, and he knew that his eyes had changed. He could feel the lengthening of his fangs under his intrigued stare.

"Ho..." he murmured in appreciation, leaning forward slightly to inspect. "Your eyes really are exquisite when you are angry."

Leonhardt flinched at the suggestiveness in his tone, captured by surprise with his choice of words. His teeth ground harder, the simmering rage beginning to boil. The teasing light in the other demon's eyes was enough to know that he was baiting. A low growl snarled from Leo's throat and Sebastian merely smiled. He straightened and lifted his tray. When he glanced at him next, all trace of teasing had dissipated.

"You seem to be out of sorts. As such, I have gone out of my way to prepare tea for your mistress. It will calm her nerves and help her sleep," he said darkly, his eyes narrowing with displeasure. "You must pay more attention. Right now, she needs you the most."

All anger left him and Leo started at his retreated back as he carried the two trays from the room, leaving him alone. He's right, Leo thought angrily, and I hate him all the more for it. His anger had gotten the best of him and because of that, lost his focus on what was truly important. He stalked down the hall toward the parlour where his mistress sat. He could sense her sadness as he entered and saw the rawness on the Phantomhive's face. It left Leo curious, that look of his as if he understood what she had undergone. For a demon such as the one that now stands by his side, his soul must be something so twisted and deep. Much like my own mistress, he thought.

The first rippling wave of intimidation slammed into him, causing his body to tremble on contact. Sweat slicked down his spine as he fought to control himself but the fear was unimaginable. With a glare, Leo glanced at the Phantomhive butler who stood proudly behind his master with eyes of crimson in warning. This was his master, his meal and he would not share. Despite the aura he emitted to instil fear, Leo could not help but be curious of the young man who regarded his mistress with such sad, hollow eyes.

Sebastian moved fast. The air distorted around Leo's face slightly and caused a slight stinging sensation. He could feel his own blood trickling slowly down the side of his face, and his eyes widened in surprise. It made him realise that the other demon was much more older and stronger then he had thought.

His mistress turned around in surprise and gasped when she saw the cut. The sweet concern softened my tensed muscles as she rushed over, taking his face in her delicate hands.

"Leo, what on earth? Are you alright?" she breathed, searching his face.

Phantomhive stole an admonishing glare at his butler, who seemingly smiled as he stood tall and proud.

"My apologies," he murmured cheerfully, "The knife slipped."

His mistress bristled beside him, glancing back at the two men behind her and it made him want to smile. She was always so quick to defend him from those who sought to cause harm.

"Please see that next time it does not happen again," she said frostily, and the air the room seemed to chill under her quiet wrath.

Leonhardt touched her shoulder gently and took her hands in his own. The iciness melted into somewhat of a sullen expression, her eyes gazing at the thin, perfect slice along his cheek bone.

"I am fine, mistress. It is nothing but a scratch and I will survive."

Her shoulders slumped on a heavy sigh before she mustered a smile. Placing a gentle hand on her back, he turned her away to leave. Leo paused to bow politely and straightened with a warning glance towards his foe.

"My mistress is tired," he said quietly with the gentle incline of his head. "Please excuse us."

With that, he escorted his mistress from the room and closed the doors quietly behind him. All politeness slipped from his expression as he thought of the monster and his man child in the other room.

What exactly had happened to the boy that he could contain such an expression?

Leonhardt was very curious indeed.
♠ ♠ ♠
It has been 3 years since I've last updated this story...3 years! Growing up is hard...it slowly steals away all of your creativity and replaces it with mundane, repetitive work that does not allow imaginative ideals such as these.

For those who are still lingering fans, you're awesome. I appreciate your faith in me. If there is none left, that's okay...it's only been 3 flippin' years.

~Enjoy

lAuRa