Status: My grammar is really bad guys. I'm so sorry!

The Things We Wanted Most

Of Mice & Men - My Understandings

When I opened my eyes, I immediately saw a black cotton shirt. I felt the back of the couch against my spine. I was curled into a small ball, my arm wrapped around Micheal's stomach. He was lying on his back, his arm curled under his head, which made me realize I had my head on a pillow. The only pillow on the couch. I heard rustling from the kitchen area, or at least what I had assumed to be the kitchen area. I carefully pulled my arm off of Mike and sat up on the couch.

Tony and Vic were both spread out on the floor and Jaime looked extremely uncomfortable in the small love seat couch. I maneuvered my way off of the couch and into the kitchen where I found an older woman, chopping what looked to be a watermelon.

"Buenos días cariño," She said.

"Hi." I whispered, sitting myself on a stool. She handed me a bowl filled with the red fruit and a fork. I speared the fruit and placed it in my mouth, enjoying the sweet flavor spreading out on my tongue.

"I'm Tony's mama."

"I'm Angela." She smiled at me from across the counter.

"You guy's must've had a long night." She commented. My eyes widened.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep." i rushed out.

"OH. No, no, I don't care if you spent the night. I'm just worried about what your parents must think about me!" She tried assuring, but as soon as she mentioned the word, parents, I dropped my fork. It clattered loudly, and she looked up in alarm. I pushed away from the stool and said I had to go. I stumbled into the living room, tripping over the coffee table. I whimpered, walking up to Jaime and Mike.

"What's going on Angel?" MIke asked, rubbing his eyes. It looked adorable. Focusing on the issue in front of me, I shoved my foot into my converse. Shuffling around, I searched for my other converse, nearly falling on top of Tony.

"You let me fall asleep." Pulling my once lost shoe out from under the couch. I saw Mike's tattooed knuckles cover my wrist.

"So, it's ok love, Tony's mom is fine with it." I sighed loudly when I began to tie my shoelaces for the fourth time.

"I didn't go home last night." I mumbled, almost incoherently.

"Look at me Angel." He said aloud. When I wouldn't, he knelt in front of me, locking eyes with me. His large hands were on my knees.

"It's okay." What could I say to make him understand without giving it all way. I was unbearably aware of Tony's mom standing in the doorway, watching me. I placed both my hands on his cheeks.

Slowly I whispered, "I didn't go home last night." I tried to put desperation in my voice. I pushed down my walls, showing him how scared I was. And it clicked, I could see the change on his eyes.

"Your dad." He whispered. He froze suddenly, his hands falling from my knees. I knew he was going through the different scenarios in his mind, like I had done not to long ago. I didn't have any more time to waste, slipping away from Mike, I waved to Jaime, Tony, and Vic and slipped out the front door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Finally finding my way home, I exhaled loudly when I noticed my father's car in the garage. Accepting my fate quickly, I opened the front door and slipped my shoes off.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?" I winced at the sound of his deep voice.

"I went out this morning for a walk." His face got redder.

"Don't lie to me!" He shouted, stepping closer to me. I involuntarily stepped backwards to get away from him.

"You weren't here when I got home from work." He raised his hands, grabbing my shoulders and knocking me backwards into the glass table behind me. I could feel the edges dig into my back, and he kept adding pressure.

"You were supposed to have dinner ready when I got home, and where were you? Probably out whoring yourself to our neighbors!" I couldn't handle looking in his face as he yelled at me.

"Where were you?" Deciding it would be best not to lie again, I breathed in, ready for a blow.

"I spent the night at a friends house, but it was an-" My sentence was cut short when I fell to the ground. My head hit the hardwood floor, leaving me dizzy.

"STOP LYING YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF A HUMAN BEING!?" HE shouted. I just sat there and took his beating. I could feel the injuries I was sustaining from him. The pain almost became unbearable until my body decided to numb out the intrusive signals. When he was finally done with my punishment he walked out of the front door. Telling me he would be back in two days. I let out a shaky breath, letting his evil words sink in to my mind.