‹ Prequel: Louder Than Words
Status: This some kind of madness is starting to evolve...

Silent Restraint

Episode 16: Do I Threaten All Your Plans?

Amare tapped the steering wheel to the beat of Styx. The Impala purred just ahead of her and she amused herself studying the height difference in the brothers. The two never ceased to amaze her. 

She would watch them, as close siblings as she and Perenna were. It was strange to see two men with so many differences still be almost exactly the same. With Amare and Perenna, it was as if they had been cast from the exact same mold, though with, Amare felt, extremely minor personality differences. But with Sam and Dean, they seemed to be cast out of different molds made by different people with different material and yet they were almost identical. It amazed her. She'd never thought siblings other than ones who had shared the womb could be so close. 

Earlier, Dean had removed Dex from the bar, where she had already gotten satisfactorily smashed, and left her at the motel with a cell phone and Zeke. Now, Amare's heart was racing, had been racing since they left the motel. It was her first good hunt in about six months. She was excited, even though she knew she was driving towards her death at a swift thirty-five miles per hour over the speed limit. It was the kind of anticipation one gets when waiting for the inevitable, and it would be a miracle from above if even one of them survived, especially without the help from Gerard and June. But, either way, she was completely prepared for whatever happened. 

Unless of course that whatever turned out to be a familiar, pale face jumping out between her and the Impala. 

She swerved hard, tires screeching. The figure moved out of the way slightly, but was still shoved in the shoulder by her passenger side mirror. She threw open her door and stormed around the front of her truck as Evagoras bent the mirror back in place. In the distance, the Impala screeched in an illegal u-turn. 

"The fuck?" she demanded, but she was laughing as she hugged him. 

"Amare?" Sam got out of the Impala, closely followed by Dean, who greeted Evagoras with a terse and blaming, "You."

Evagoras returned the hug and held Amare at arm's length before planting a kiss on her cheek and whispering "S'agapo" quietly in her ear. He studied her a moment longer, then looked from her to Sam. He held out a pale hand. "I believe we haven't properly met," he said, his accent lacing his words. "You must be Sam Winchester. I'm Evagoras, a close friend of Amare's." Sam slowly took his hand, then Evagoras turned to Dean. "It is nice to see you again, Dean."

"Yeah," Dean grunted. Amare frowned, curious. 

"I must apologize for my cryptic behavior last we met. I was, and am, on the run for my life. But I see you have successfully retrieved your brother. Congratulations." Dean didn't say anything, so Evagoras turned back to Amare. "I believe we have some pests to eradicate. Shall we be off?"

"You're coming with us?" Amare asked. 

"If you wouldn't be entirely opposed."

She looked at Sam and Dean, then back at Evagoras. "Get in the damn car."

The boys slowly walked back to the Impala while Amare and Evagoras got in the Dodge. He gave her a quick summary of his adventures while they drove the last few miles to Reagan's house. Basically, after leaving Syd's house, he had gone back to Greece. The country was in a tumult, he said, almost like Europe was in the forties. Many of the vampires had fled, and those who didn't, didn't necessarily want to kill him, but would be of no help to their cause. He traveled North through Turkey and then up towards Russia. But half the time he was on the run, anyways, and word had gotten out about Amare's escape. Evagoras knew she would dive back into the fight, so he came to help. 

"Well I'm glad you're here," she smiled. 

They got out of the Dodge, some of the last to arrive. Dean went straight in, but Sam waited for them. He put a hand on the small of her back and they marched in ahead of Evagoras. Emma looked at him with wide eyes, and he nodded at her. Every hunter in the room besides Sam, Dean, and Amare tensed at the ghostly pallor of his skin, though Dean and Reagan exchanged knowing glances. 

"What's he doing here?" Emma asked. Hayden frowned at her. 

"Emerson, my Dear. It is a pleasure to see you here. You have chosen good company."

"Another vampire?" the other Hunter, Max Smith, asked. 

"I think you'll find I am an invaluable source of information. Mr. Smith, is it?" Evagoras held out his hand, but Max ignored it. 

He looked at Garth instead. "You okay with this? I didn't sign up for this, fighting a war against monsters with monsters."

"Some of them are only monsters by definition," Sam said. 

"And some of us have the decency to control ourselves," Emma added. 

"We're already on the losing side as is," Garth said. "I'll take all the help I can get. It's nice ta have you aboard-" he held out a hand. 

"Evagoras. It is nice to finally meet you, Mr. Fitzgerald."

"Well," Garth moved to address the whole room. "We're waitin' just on Foster, and I called up some others who were goin' through Nevada. They should all be here within tha hour, so let's make sure our stuff is all packed n' ready and then have a beer or somethin'."

The next forty-five minutes was a flutter of activity. They decided on taking Hayden's SUV and Garth's van. The smaller the entourage, the less attention they would attract. Amare was bitter about leaving behind the Dodge and convinced Garth to let her take it, for weapons transport if nothing else. Food, water, and safety kits were put in the SUV. Everything else that couldn't be carried on person was put in the bed of the Dodge. 

When Fozzy arrived, they sat down to talk strategy. If what Amare said was right, they would be expecting a daytime attack. They took a vote, but couldn't decide on when the attack should take place. When the final Hunters arrived, the decision was made that they go at dusk. That way, at the very least, they would be dealing with groggy, tired vampires, be they the army Amare predicted, or simply a nest of newborns in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

The decision left them with several hours to kill. Amare sat in a corner, away from all of the activity with Evagoras. They watched the goings on for a while in silence, enjoying each others company. Amare was stunned by how mature Garth had become over the last year or so. He was almost a completely different person sometimes. Talk about character development, she thought. But then someone would say something and he would grin and she would remember hanging out with him all those years ago, when he was just as new to hunting as she was. She remembered sitting out at Bobby's yard admiring a rusty old Lincoln town car while Rufus was inside looking for some ancient tome that only Bobby had a copy of, and Garth pulling up and giving her that big smile and a hug. The nostalgia of it all made her stomach turn. 

She stood up and went outside, Evagoras on her tail. Sam watched her go, but decided to let her have some time. She would have come for him if she wanted any more company. 

Amare and Evagoras stayed near the driveway, walking a ways down into the forresty parts around Reagan's secluded little ranch house. They were quiet, not needing to talk. Amare just had to get out of that house. It was like all aspects of her past were meeting. Evagoras and Garth and Sam, guilt and nostalgia and shame and lies all mixed up into one and coating her like a blanket. It was nice to just breathe in fresh air, with the consistence of Evagoras next to her. 

Evagoras, though missing from her recently, was the figure of consistence in her life. He was literally and figuratively eternal. A protector from the beginning, and a friend before she knew she could have more than Perenna. Evagoras was the father she never had. 

"Evvie?" she said quietly. 

"Yes, s'Agapo?"

"Where did I come from? I mean... Are mine and Perenna's parents dead?"

Evagoras put an arm around her shoulders and leaned into her. "No."

"But Jason said-"

"I don't know if you've noticed, my Amare," he said with a smiled, "but I care not what Jason says."

"So my parents, my real parents, are out there somewhere?"

"As far as I know." He paused and, seemingly reading her thoughts, said, "If we survive this fight, I will help you find them."

"I'm not so sure that you will, though, my friend," a voice said behind them. 

Evagoras and Amare stilled at the horrible familiarity of the voice. They turned around to face Jason. Amare's heart pounded in her throat and she tried to swallow it down. As she'd suspected, there was a small army of vampires behind him. Just over twenty. But the true attraction was Jason, the very definition of monstrosity. Almost seven feet tall and pure muscle. Behind a desk or at the dining room table, he was simply an intimidating bust, an unspoken hollow and yet thoroughly terrifying threat. But now as he stood before her, those threats gaining some substance, every fiber of her existence radiated fear. 

Evagoras leaned down and pressed his lips to her ear. 

"Run."
♠ ♠ ♠
Woah. Yeah. Okay. And also it's early. Cool.

So I've only been able to listen to Tweny One Pilots for the last few days so the whole soundtrack is by Twenty One Pilots.
Soundtrack:
Ode to Sleep (Title Song)
Anathema
Trapdoor
March to the Sea
-- The last song is simple, but like ridiculously deep and I love it.