‹ Prequel: Louder Than Words
Status: This some kind of madness is starting to evolve...

Silent Restraint

Episode 3: Any Way I Can

Hayden was silent. He had been most of the way. They were going to Nova Scotia, to a place called Cheticamp, where there was supposedly another nest. Now they were pulling through Belfast, Maine. Emma didn't know where the main hideout was, so she was bringing him to the only other nest she knew of. They were going to split up in Halifax, he was going to give her some battle wounds, and then he was going to follow her up to Cheticamp.

Hayden groaned and took a deep breath through his nose, rubbing his eyes as the light above them flashed an obnoxious red. He was tired. Tired of driving, tired of being on edge, tired of being. Tired of everything. And he was exhausted. He hadn't been able to get much sleep, knowing he was bunking with a vampire. His hands were quivering on the steering wheel and his eyes were itchy.

"We should pull over," Emma said.

"It's barely eight."

"And we've been driving for like five days straight. You won't let me drive for a while, so we should pull over so you can get some rest."

He ran a hand through his hair and looked at her. His eyes were bruised and his lids were drooping. She could feel his strain all the way over in her seat. He was tense, and quivering like an over-stretched bowstring. "Fine," he said finally, a bite in his rough.

"Don't get your bitch on. You're fucking shaking," she said, just as irritably. She was tired of living on animal blood. She wanted human so bad she was almost willing to bite the hunter sitting next to her.

He pulled over into the parking lot of a pay-by-the-hour motel. In the time it took to get from the lobby to the room, both of them thought he was going to collapse. When they got in, he looked between her and the bed.

"Don't do anything dumb," he slurred.

Emma shook her head. "I won't," she murmured, pushing his jacket off his shoulders. She pulled back the covers and he collapsed onto the cool cotton sheets. She pulled off his boots and tried to get him to straighten out on the bed, but he was already asleep. Emma sighed and stripped back the blankets further, straightened his legs, and threw the blankets back on him. They'd only gotten one bed, so she was confined to the couch.

After a couple hours, though, she became restless. She remembered what he said about not being dumb, and considered for a moment not following his orders. She wasn't super hungry, they had kept her well-fed, so she wouldn't do any real harm; she just wanted a mouthful of warm human blood. And then she looked at his scruffy face, so innocent under the influence of sleep, and decided against it. They would fill her up when she got to the nest. She didn't need to worry about that.

She was staring at her hands a few hours later, thinking about biting something, when he woke up.

He groaned. "Emma," he said.

"You need something?"

She shook his head and stretched. "What time is it?"

"One in the morning. Go back to sleep. I'll wake you up at seven and we can make it to Halifax by tomorrow night," she said.

"Mmm, no." He sat up and stretched again, his spine realigning with soft pops.

"Seriously, Hayden," she said. "You can't keep going like this. It may have been a while since I had first-hand experience, but I know that a human body can only go so far."

Hayden was obviously not listening. He was standing up, pulling his shirt off.

"What the fuck are you doing? Why are you taking your shirt off?"

"I'm gonna go take a shower," he said, his voice betraying how tired he still was.

"The fuck you are," Emma growled, blocking his stumbling path. She put a hand on his shoulder. "Go back to sleep."

"We have to keep going," he said. "We don't have time-"

"Why are you in such a rush to get me there? Calm the fuck down. We have all the time in the world. They aren't going any-- Hayden." She was putting her full weight on him, trying to push him back to bed. "Lay the fuck down."

With a heave and some vampire strength, she pushed him back onto the bed.

"The fuck you doing?" he demanded, grabbing onto her forearms.

"You need sleep, you Bastard. Go to sleep." With another shove, he was laying back on the bed, He propped himself up on his elbows.

"Why are you so damn hell bent on putting me to bed?" he demanded as she straddled his waist in an effort to keep him down.

"Why are you so damn hell bent on getting rid of me?"

"Because," he said. Hayden looked away from her face, shaking his head. 'Because then I won't have to deal with my feelings anymore' he thought. 'God that's corny as fuck.'

"Because your afraid?" Emma's voice was low and her face close to his.

"Afraid of what?" he challenged.

"This," she whispered, pressing her lips against his. His mouth parted slightly and her tongue traced his lip. She nipped at it, smiling against him. He suddenly pulled away, the tiniest of moans escaping his mouth.

"Fuck, Emma," he gasped. He didn't know whether to flip her over and fuck her brains out or decapitate her. He chose the unhappy medium of doing nothing. "This is why I need to get away from you."

She shook her head. "What's so wrong about this?"

Hayden's eyes widened. "What's not wrong? I'm a human. You're a goddamned vampire. And I'm not just any fucking human; I'm a hunter. I'm supposed to kill you."

"Well, maybe tonight we can forget about that," she whispered huskily, nuzzling his neck.

He pushed her off of him. "No, fuck, we need to go." He pushed her off of him and put his shirt back on.

They were driving ten minutes later. (a/n: and my sailor speak comes out. Fuck shit fuck fuck shit bastard. Assbutt.)

<><><><><>

Evagoras knocked on the door. An average looking blonde man answered the door and looked Evvie up and down, confused. He was wearing blue hospital scrubs.

"Syd Dawson?" Evvie asked in his best American accent.

Syd narrowed his eyes. "Who's asking?"

"Bayleigh Thomas sent me to look after your... issue."

Syd's eyebrows shot up. "Is she okay? What happened?"

Evvie looked down and swallowed. "I'm afraid she may not be able to make it," he said, letting his accent creep back in. "So I am here."

"Come in," Syd said. Evvie walked through the door, ankles immediately attacked by a small brindle-coated puppy. Syd was behind him, on the phone already. "Hey Marie, I'm going to be about an hour late today. I got some... pretty serious family business to handle. Thanks, I will. Bye." He hung up and looked at the tall dark haired man in his hallway. "What's happening."

Evvie let himself into Syd's living room and took a seat before answering. "My name is Evagoras, and I have known my Amare- Bayleigh- since she was born." Syd frowned. This man could be no older than twenty-one and Bayleigh was almost thirty. "I'm a vampire," Evvie said in response to Syd's expression. Syd's hand retrieved a stake, hidden under the chair he was seated in. "There's no need for that," Evagoras said calmly. "I'm here because she sensed I was in danger and told me I could trust you."

"Trust me with what? Why would Bayleigh trust you?"

"Trust you not to kill me. And she trusts me because I am the one who helped free her from the vampires."

"That was Sam Winchester's Dad."

A small smile graced Evagoras's lips. "Without me, John Winchester would never have found my Amare." He sighed and stood. "I take it the young vampire has not caused any trouble, so I must be on my way."

"Where are you going?" Syd followed Evagoras to the front door, his head spinning.

"Europe. To do my part in freeing- em- Bayleigh again." Evvie opened the door and stepped out, but stopped immediately. Syd looked over his shoulder to find his sister and Xavier getting out of Xavier's car. Evvie's upper lip curled with the hint of a growl, and if Xavier had hackles, they would have raised. Syd was almost intrigued, witnessing two people looking so animal. He had to remind himself that they weren't people, they were monsters.

"You guys know each other?" Ally asked, oblivious to the mortal danger she was stepping into.

"Evagoras," Xavier said.

"Xavier."

"Ally, I want to show you something," Syd said quickly, getting his sister out of there. She reluctantly followed her brother into the house and Xavier and Evagoras approached each other.

"Word gets around," Xavier said quietly.

"So then you know about the price on my head."

"It's pretty substantial."

"I dare you to try and take me, child," Evagoras breathed. They stared at each other, tensed, before Evagoras, always the gentleman, relaxed and tried to be civil. "I'm leaving now."

"Don't come back, or I'll have to tell them where you are."

Evvie smiled. "I don't make promises. Look out for your human, or you shall have me to answer to." He began making his way to his dark blue four-door Sedan.

"Is that all it is?" Xavier asked, Evvie's hand resting on the car door.

"Is that all what is?" He turned to face the blonde vampire, and was surprised to see him looking actually scared.

"You went soft, fell for a human. Is that why they want you dead?"

Evagoras smiled to himself. "You can say that."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry guys, I know it's a day late, but Evvie<3 I heart Evvie. And Syd, omigod Syd. I also heart Syd. And Emma. I really like Emma. Okay I'm stopping now.

Soundtrack:
anywayican by Walk the Moon
Pictures of You by The Last Goodnight
Roses by Pacific Air