Status: re-post :)

Beside You

Chatper 5

I had an extra skip in my step as I walked into the apartment. I didn’t know why I was so happy about going out. It might be from being in a new city, Todd-free and finally having friends around that don’t know much about my past to judge me or coddle me like a child. I was finally free to do whatever I please and have the time of my life.
I walked into my room looking for something to change into. I discovered that there was one bag of luggage that I didn’t unpack. Opening it, I pulled out a turquoise, lacy tank top and a pair of black skinny jeans. I added a black pair of pumps, quickly pulled my hair up in a bun and put a small amount of make-up on. I looked at the time and noticed I had exactly three minutes until Charli would arrive. As if she could sense me thinking about the time, my phone went off. Charli text me to let me know she was downstairs. I grabbed a three-quarter sleeve black blazer and my wallet, and was out the door.
I met Charli at her car. She was wearing a little bit less clothing than I was, but I wasn’t about to judge her. She was always wrapped up in a hoodie and jeans at work, so I could understand her relishing in her time to “dress up.”
“Those jeans look amazing.”
I smiled at her. The jeans were one of my favorite pairs.
“Thank you. You look awesome. So, where are we headed?”
Charli smirked at me.
“The best spot in Chicago.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dan’s POV

I arrived at the arena with minutes to spare to change into my gear before Coach came in for his pre-game speech. I had a goofy smile plastered on my face and received smirks for both Kane and Toews. There may have been a smile on my face, but inside I was still battling just exactly how I felt about Gretchen.
I’ve always seen Gretchen as nothing more than my best friend. Someone, I could tell anything to and who would always run to me with her problems. Now, I was finding myself thinking about her as if she were my high-school crush. I didn’t understand it, yet I kept feeding into it and still hoped that Gretch would make it to the game.
“So, Carbomb, did you do it? Or did you go get botox after the skate?”
I was taken out of my thoughts by the voice of Kaner. I smirked at him.
“No, I didn’t get botox, you dick. I did it, but I just hope she responds and comes to the game.”
Jon walked over to us, raising his eyebrow.
“What do you mean, you hope she responds? Didn’t you ask her in person?”
I sighed, seeing their disappointed faces. That made me believe that Gretchen wasn’t going to see the note that I left for her.
“No, I didn’t see her. I left her a note on the kitchen counter. I just hope she saw it when she got home from work.”
I ran my hands through my hair as I sat down in my stall. I was now thinking that I got my hopes up way too soon. Then I caught myself beginning to feel down. I didn’t know what the hell was going on, but the more I pictured Gretchen in my jersey, the more I wanted it to happen. I was beginning to think there was more to this. There had to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gretchen’s POV

Charli and I arrived at a bar called “Smuckers.” While we were getting ready to park, I was looking through my purse to make sure I had everything I needed. I saw my keys and lip gloss, but no wallet or phone. I turned to Charli, biting my lip in embarrassment.
“Um, Char? I have a tiny bit of a problem.”
She looked a little nervous.
“What’s up, girl?”
I looked down into my purse again, double-checking that I was in fact, missing my wallet.
“I forgot my phone and wallet at my apartment.”
Charli laughed.
“Oh, don’t worry about it. I got this bar. If we make it through this one, we’ll go to your place and pick up your money and you can cover bar number 2.”
I wanted to nod my head in agreement, but I hated not having my phone on me. It was a little bit anal of me, but I liked knowing that I didn’t have to depend on others if I needed to get a ride home or anything. Charli spoke up again, interrupting my thought.
“Oh, look. You think the Hawks are playing tonight? ”
I smirked seeing the crowd outside the doors of the United Center, which just happened to be across the street from where we were parked.
“No, not at all.”
Charli smirked at me. I kept my gaze on the building, as a part of me began to wish I could watch the game. I missed the times when Dan and I would talk about the games he played in after he’d get home. We haven’t done in since we were teenagers, but I had hoped that since I moved to Chicago and we got back on good terms, we could do it again sometime.
“So, clearly you’re lost in translation, or you’ve got Dan on the brain?”
Charli’s voice took me out of my thoughts. I sighed as I took in her question.
“Are we really having this conversation, again?”
Charli shrugged her shoulders.
“Yes, and we’ll continue to have it until you admit how you feel about Dan.”
I shook my head.
“Charli, tonight is supposed to be a fun night out. You’re really making me want to ask you to take me back home. I have told you before and I will tell you again, Dan and I are just friends. Best friends? Yes, but nothing more than that.”
Charli raised her hands in defeat.
“Okay, okay. Let’s head in.”

Dan’s POV

I picked myself up from my stall as my head hung heavy. I felt a hand clap my shoulder. Turning my head, I saw Kaner.
“Cheer up, bud. I’m sure she’s here.”
He smiled at me, but I couldn’t find it in me to return one.
We left the locker room, and I could feel the emotion drain from my face. It was game time, therefore the game face was on. As I took to the ice, I found myself looking up in the stands. I didn’t see her and I could feel my heart begin to sink slightly. Tearing my gaze away and looking towards the bench of my former team, the Flyers, the emotions left again. As much as I missed being a part of the Flyers organization, Chicago was my home now, and tonight, it was business as usual.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gretchen’s POV
I didn’t last long in Smuckers. Charli sensed that after I was done my first beer, I wasn’t feeling it. She drove me home. I felt horrible for not having fun, but I just couldn’t “blend in.” I kept seeing guys that were built like Todd and would tense up. The only thing I could think of was talking to Dan and calming myself down.
When I arrived back to the apartment, I decided to make myself a cup of tea. That would start the calming down process. I put the kettle on, but as I turned around, I noticed a note on the counter. It was a note from Dan. He asked me to go to the game. Looking at the time, I noticed the game had already started. I pondered on the idea of going anyway, just to show some support. The first period would just be wrapping up, so if I had left right then, I would get to the arena just in time for the second period. I stood in the kitchen and weighed my options for a couple minutes before making my way to Dan’s closet.
God, I hope he’s not mad at me for missing the first period.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dan’s POV
After the first period, we were up by a goal, but I still felt the sadness about Gretch not being in the crowd. I had high hopes that she would be, so seeing the seat empty hurt. I didn’t admit it out loud, but I could sense that Kaner and Jon knew. Kaner came up and sat beside my stall.
“Hey, buddy. I’m sorry she’s not here. Maybe she saw the note and is running late?”
I rolled my eyes at his suggestion. Gretchen knew when the games started.
“Nice try. She’s not coming. If she was, she wouldn’t have missed the first period. It’s not like Gretchen to be late for anything.”
Kaner just shrugged his shoulders and offered me a small smile. A part of me wished he would try and lighten my mood a little bit more. I had, however, pondered the thought that Gretchen could have very well been running late. It was possible that maybe she was held up at work, but then I thought what would possibly hold her up at a record store for over an hour. My attempt at cheering myself up was pointless, so I just tried to focus on the game.

Gretchen’s POV

I arrived to the arena just in time for the start of the second period. The two teams came out on the ice. Of course, I saw more Hawks than I did Flyers. That would be because of the seat that Dan purchased for me. It was beside the Hawks bench.
It took me a few seconds to spot Dan. He seemed to be focused, but I could tell he was a little down in the dumps. I immediately felt bad since I figured it was because I missed the first period. I clutched Dan’s jersey, which looked gigantic on me, to my chest and took my focus off of Dan alone and more on the game itself.
Not even 15 seconds into the period, Toews went hard to the net. Dan was open for a pass. I was biting my nails and praying to the Gods that Jon passed the puck. Finally I saw Dan’s stick wind up. I squeezed my eyes shut, seeing as this would be Dan’s first goal as a Hawk, but when I heard the horn sound I leapt out of my seat. I was bobbing my head to Chelsea Dagger and screaming at the top of my lungs.
Dan was bombarded by Toews and Kane as they celebrated the goal, which gave the Hawks a two goal lead. As the boys skated towards the bench to celebrate with the rest of the team, Dan looked over to my seat. Inside I was aching, knowing that he must have looked over to this spot many times during the first period. We locked eyes and I immediately saw Dan’s eyes light up. I pointed to the Indian head on my, rather his, jersey and smiled at him. The smile never left my face the rest of the game, and Dan proceeded to get an assist half way through the final period. The Hawks won 5-2. When the final horn sounded, I got up off my seat. I heard someone bang on the boards in front of me. Turning my head, I saw Dan smiling at me. He was mouthing something to me, but I couldn’t understand a thing. I began to chuckle as he was getting frustrated. He was trying so hard to tell me something. I rolled my eyes and mouthed that I would see him at home.
Just before I left the exit of the stands, someone tapped on my shoulder.
“Are you Gretchen?”
I nodded my head, still a little startled at the man, who was wearing a very blue suit.
“I was sent to ask you to come down to the locker room.”
I smirked and followed the man in a very bright blue suit.

Dan’s POV

Reaching the locker room, the grin couldn’t get off my face. Even after the light chirping from Kane and Toews during the second intermission, I couldn’t take the smirk off my face. I was so happy to see Gretchen in the crowd, wearing my jersey no less. I began singing along to Chelsea Dagger in the locker room, gaining weird looks from the guys.
“You know, I hope this girl comes around more often. You played great tonight, Dan.”
I looked over to Coach and smirked.
“Uh, thanks, but I’m not exactly sure what you mean. That was my best friend in the crowd tonight. I missed her being at my games.”
Coach just nodded slightly and I had wondered if Kane or Toews slipped some information to him. It wouldn’t have been true, but that wouldn’t stop them.
I was just about to go hop in the shower when Carl, one of the security guys came up to me.
“Hey, the girl you asked for is just out in the hall.”
I smiled and left the room, hoping that it would go unnoticed by the guys. I saw Gretchen standing against the wall, looking at her phone.
“You know, I think that jersey looks a lot better on you. Might need to get a smaller size though.” I smirked.
Gretchen looked up at me and laughed.
“You’re hilarious. You know, when you want someone to wear your jersey to a game, you might want to make sure they don’t float in it.”
I laughed and wrapped her in a hug.
“I’m so happy you’re here.” I whispered in her hair.
“Me too. Congrats on your first goal as a Hawk.”
She pulled away and smiled at me.
“Hey, Carbomb, she’s a keeper. Just remember what we talked about. No glove, no love.”
My head spun towards the door and I gave Kaner a look that could kill. I heard laughter, and turning to Gretchen, I saw her doubled over against the wall. I raised my eyebrow at her.
“What’s so funny?”
She looked up at me, tears running down her face.
“I didn’t realize just how much he looked like a little boy until now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay.. I think I'm going to stop here for the night. I may add more later, but I want to first see if I can come up with ideas to continue it first. :)

steph <3