Status: re-post :)

Beside You

Chapter 8

Gretchen’s POV
I couldn’t get into my car fast enough. I could feel the tears springing in my eyes. When I got into my car, I broke down. I didn’t know what to do, say, think or feel at that moment. The only thing on my mind was that phone call.

Flashback

“Is this Gretchen Ferrell?”
I almost dropped the phone. I was praying in my mind this was not the kind of phone call that I thought it was.
“Uhh.. yes. Yes, I’m Gretchen Ferrell.”
My brain said the words as it came it out of the man on the other end’s mouth.
“Miss Ferrell, I think you should get to hospital as soon as you can. Your boyfriend was just in a car accident. He’s asking for you.”
My voice was caught in my throat for a few seconds, as tears began to fall from my eyes.
“I….I… I’m on my way.”
I hung up the phone, grabbed my jacket and purse, and rushed out the door.
While in the elevator, I thought to myself,
I just saw him. He just dropped me off. He wasn’t even drinking. How the hell could this have happened?

End Flashback


I started my car and sped the whole way to the hospital. Tears continued to fall down my face the entire drive. I had to get to Claude, and I had to get to him fast. I knew that he wasn’t my boyfriend, though the man on the phone said differently, but I did care for the man. We had a great time on our date and I heard stories from Dan’s mom about what a kind man he was. I didn’t think about the point that he told the doctors that I was his girlfriend, I just wanted him to be alright. I would feel so guilty if something horrible happened to him. We used his vehicle all night, and if after this accident he couldn’t play hockey anymore, I would never forgive myself. I kept telling myself I should’ve drove or maybe suggested that we walked to wherever we were going.
The tears would not stop flowing as I pulled into the parking garage of the hospital. I bought a parking pass, not knowing how long I was going to be there. Walking in through the emergency doors, I walked up to the first nurses’ desk I saw.
“Excuse me, I’m Gretchen Ferrell. I was called to come and see…” I wasn’t sure to use it or not, but it was the one way the doctor knew me as. “…my boyfriend, Claude Giroux.”
The nurse raised her eyebrow at me then looked through the computer records. She sighed before turning to me.
“When did your boyfriend come into the emergency, hun?”
My eyes went a little wide. I didn’t know the exact time.
“Ummm.. I’m not sure exactly when, but I got the call about 10 minutes ago.”
The nurse nodded her head and stood from her chair.
“I’m going to go look at the charts in the other room. I’ll be right back. You sit tight, okay darlin’?”
I may have nodded but I was freaking out. I was silently hoping this wasn’t some kind of practical joke. I would kill Claude if it was. I didn’t think this was funny at all. I’m standing in the emergency room of the NorthWestern Hospital with tears brimming in my eyes. I would never forgive Claude if this was a scam. I went and sat down on a chair waiting for the nurse to return to the desk.
I wasn’t seated for more than 2 minutes, when the nurse came back. She waved me over to the desk. When I got up off the chair, my phone went off in my pocket. Stupidly, I pulled it out. I knew that you weren’t supposed to have your cell phones on in hospitals, but like a fool, I pulled mine out right in front of a nurse. I looked up at her and she nodded.
“It’s okay, answer it. You’re only in the waiting room. It’s when you go through those doors that you have to shut it off.”
I looked towards the doors she pointed to, praying that I would walk through those in a few moments, before looking down at my phone. It was only a text message. My eyes widened when I saw who it was from.
Hey, I had a great time. I looked at my schedule. I’ll be back in town in about 5 weeks. Think you’ll be free? =)
I blinked and read the message over again a few times. Why would Claude text me this when he’s lying in a hospital bed right now? I couldn’t think about that right now. I walked up to the desk and was hoping the nurse would let me through the doors. She had a confused look on her face.
“Oh, I thought that might have been your boyfriend telling you he was playing a sick joke on you.”
I raised an eyebrow at her.
“Umm… I’m not sure I quite understand.”
The nurse sighed heavily.
“Look, darlin’, your boyfriend played a …”
“Terry, if a lady named Gretchen Ferrell comes in, send it right to room 35. Her boyfriend is waiting for her in there.”
My ears perked up at the sound of my name. I had recognized the voice that said it as the man that phoned me.
“I’m Gretchen Ferrell.”
The man turned to me and sighed.
“Oh thank god. Please, come with me.”
I turned to the nurse, pissed that she kept the room number from me.
“Now, why couldn’t you have just told me room 35, huh?”
Her mouth dropped and I didn’t stay behind long enough to hear her reply. I just wanted to get to Claude. I followed the doctor to the room. I took deep breaths as I walked. I want to be mentally prepared for anything I might see when I saw him. I thought back to the text message I received in the waiting room. I came to the conclusion that I probably received it a little while before I checked it. My phone will go off every 10 minutes if I don’t read text messages. I had my phone in my purse while I looked around the apartment for Dan. He probably sent it just after he dropped me off. Yea, that’s gotta be it.

I thought back to the date.

Flashback

On our walk to the ice cream shop, Claude and I were talking about what we wanted out of life. I watched his face light up.
“I had made it a point in my life to make goals for myself. Each season I set a number for myself of how many goals I wanted to score in the regular season. My ultimate goal, however, like every other hockey player, is to life the Stanley Cup over my head. I would love for it to be in Philly, but it wouldn’t matter where it was. I get told all the time about how great of a player I am, but sometimes I feel like winning the Cup is the one thing that will let me believe it.”
I shook my head.
“Oh, come on. You don’t honestly believe that winning the Cup makes you a great player, do you? Look at Ray Bourque. He didn’t win the Cup until his last season. That didn’t mean that he wasn’t a great player. And don’t forget that you guys did make it to the Finals in 2010. That means something. Also, the last game of that series went into overtime. You’ve done a lot in your career that so many other hockey players would kill to do. You’re a great player, Claude. I know that the Cup is sacred, but it doesn’t define who you are. Even though, Claude Giroux, Stanley Cup Champion does have a nice ring to it. You’ll get there. I’m sure of it.”
He chuckled.
“Thanks, but wouldn’t Danny-boy want to maim you for saying those things to a Flyer now that he’s a Hawk?”
I smirked and shook my head.
“You know, not everything I do has to be approved by Dan. If it did, I have a slight feeling I wouldn’t be here right now.”

End Flashback


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I held onto the smiles we shared after I made that comment for the rest of my walk to the hospital room. It didn’t matter what Claude looked like when I walked into the room. As long as I held on to those smiles, I was happy. I just wanted to be sure that he was okay. Before I walked into the room, I stopped the doctor. I put my hand on his arm and he turned around.
“Ummm….I don’t mean to ask this, but I need to know.. is he still going to be able to play?”
The doctor was a little taken aback from my question.
“Play?”
I nodded.
“Yes, he’s a professional hockey player.”
It clicked in, finally, and the doctor shook his head.
“Now, that’s a little farfetched, Miss. I think he’s going to recover just fine.”
I let out a huge sigh of relief.
“Oh, Thank God.”
The doctor chuckled lightly.
“That’s a nice gesture, you know. Thinking about your boyfriend’s career above all else.”
I smiled.
“Yea, well this guy’s special. He’d definitely be missed if he couldn’t play anymore.”
The doctor smiled and put his hand on my back as we walked up to the door to Claude’s room. I rushed into the room. When I saw the person on the bed, my eyes went wide. I put my hand over my mouth and tears fell from my eyes harder than they did before. I walked up to the bed and put my hand in his. I couldn’t believe the man before my eyes. The cuts and bruises, each one I wanted to heal. It was a good thing he was asleep, I don’t know if I could handle it if he was awake. I kept my hand in his as I sat in the chair. I took my free hand and ran my hand through his hair as I whispered.
“Oh Danny…”