Marked

Chapter One

Splash, the sound of my boots against the wet ground was getting annoying. The rain was coming down heavy making the forest smell very rich. I like it. My breathing was beginning to sound ragged as I slid to a stop, mud splashing up onto my black slacks. Standing still I took in my surroundings, the earthy smells, the lack of animals, and the rain that slid behind my white mask. I took in deep breaths to calm my breathing to the point where it was impossible to hear. It's a tactic assassins need to know in order to erase their presences. Slowly I could feel myself become hyper vigilant as I listened intently to my surrounding. Standing perfectly still my clothes were beginning to stick to me do to how wet with rain I was becoming.

A twig snapped at my left making me open my eyes. With a brief exhale I launched into the dark, pulled out a hunting knife from my belt, and collided with a burly man. My blade plunged into his shoulder blade and he cussed. A bear size hand took hold of the back of my neck and sent me flying backwards. Flipping in the air I landed on my feet before the man.

"Rvest Molorie, you are charged with conspiring to assassinate a Lord Raphe De'Vonte of the Silver Circle. You may return with me or die where you stand." I said pointing my blade at him, his black blood dripping from the tip. Rvest is a tall mountain troll with a long black beard that matched the hair circling his face, deep forest green eyes, and an attitude of a bull. The man was nearly seven feet tall and I'm five ten. Odds don't look good for me.

He looked at me, "I'm not going anywhere." Slowly his arm moved to the wooden handle of his axe. Pulling out his weapon he held it up and I clicked my tongue before diving away from his blow. Rolling in the mud was the last thing I wanted to do tonight, actually rolling in mud is the last thing I'd ever want to do. Quickly looking back up I saw him swing his axe again causing me to launch out of my spot once more to dodge. "Do you think I would go back to that hellish place willingly?" He laughed as I jumped to my feet, trying and give us some distance. Nothing is scarier than a raging troll.

Well besides me.

Rvest roared as he swung his axe above his head making me narrow my eyes behind my white skeleton mask. Biting my bottom lip I threw my blade to the ground and began back flipping away just as the axe crashed down in the spot I was just in. "Don't think you will escape me!" he roared. God, isn't he the noisy one? Thunder crashed above when I regained my footing and went to hide behind a large oak. Light flashed in the sky making shadows jump around on the muddy ground. I need to detain him; I need to, and fast. Reaching out I let the rain fall on my open palm. I have to use it, God I'm going to be fucking drained after this. Thunder crashed once again followed by a battle cry from right behind me. Before I had time to move the bark of the tree shattered like a vase and I was thrown from my spot with shards of wood.

With a cringing sound my body bounced off the adjacent tree making me fall face first into the wet ground. My mask cracked and somewhere on the top of my head I could feel blood running from a fresh cut. Gritting my teeth I tried to push myself up, but my back screamed in protest. Somehow I manage to get to my knees, huffing and puffing, while the ground shook. My hands gripped some wet blades of grass as a giant troll foot stopped in front of me.

"I'll make this quick," his rough voice said and I could hear him whipped his axe into the air.

"Me too," my muscles clenched and suddenly the rain around us seemed to stop in midair. Standing up slowly I found Rvest frozen in his spot, hands stuck in the air in mid swing.

Rain drops were still in the air around us and by the look in his eyes he knew something was seriously wrong. "the hell?" I heard him mumble when my mask cracked again before splitting in half. The white skeleton mask fell from my face and just like that it was like something clicked in Rvest. "I change my mind. I'll come in."

"Too late," I held my hand up and the rain drops morphed into what could be mistaken as crystal shards.

"P-Please, I beg you. As a fellow Fey." His eyes searched mine looking for some pity, sadly I'm reluctant to show any.

"Light doesn't associate too well with the Dark Fey."

I could see his anxiety rising, the fear of death in his eyes, "Please, in the name of your brother." I narrowed my eyes on him. With a quick flick of my wrist the shard flew forward and completely pierced his body. Still I could sense the life in his eyes remain so I moved my hand once again. This time all the crystals liquefied and went up his body to his mouth. He made a gargling sound as he gripped his throat wanting a breath of air. Slowly he fell to his knees and watched me with eyes pleading for mercy. I refused to move.

With a thud he collapsed on the ground, eyes facing the mud as water spilt from his mouth. Rvest was dead. The rain resumed it's down pour as I eyed the fallen mountain troll in front of me. Mud was splattered on his face, blood dripped from his torso, while his hand still gripped his axe. He wouldn't have ended up this way if only he came with me quietly to begin with. No, it was more than that. I looked to the ground and picked up the pieces of my broken mask. With one final look at Rvest I let out a breath and started my walk home.

ᶲᶲᶲᶲ


I took a step from the portal and found myself in Fey country better known as Farie. The opening of the portal sent a ripple of power through the brick hall of the Fey castle. My boot touched the hard flooring and the guards straightened up at attention at the sight of me. Finally out of the portal I stopped and looked at the two guards. They bowed their heads in unison.

"Princess!" Though by the looks of it I don't fit the profile of princess. Instead of wearing fine clothing and lovely glittering jewels my body is covered in mud, troll blood and not to mention my clothes are still sticking to me from the rain.

Ignoring the men I began down the hall, probably leaving a trail of muddy foot prints behind on the marble flooring. Oh Well. Raising my hands I flipped my black hood up so to cover my dirty face from the council. After maneuvering my way through the grand halls I came before large white doors decorates with gold swirls. I lifted my hand to touch the handle when the swirls moved across the door and swirled around creating a dragon's face. It launched off the wood, it's long neck reaching to the ceiling as it looked down on me. Gold eyes blazed like the sun as they narrowed down on me.

It would seem the council put a ward to leave out any unnecessary people. Then again I'm not what you would consider unnecessary. Reaching for the handled once more the gold beast came down closer to me and let out a powerful roar. The mirrors behind me shattered, my coat flapped around my body, and my hood fell over revealing my vibrant lavender eyes. My hair whipped around as I lock gazes with the dragon. It silenced when it took note of my eyes, its color a trait of the royal line, and withdrew back into the wood of the door. With a click the doors opened for me allowing entrance.

"Nice beasty," I murmured as I passed the doors into a large room where many Fey men roared from the stands against the walls. The room was circular like a large arena; rows of red stands for diplomats to be seated were against the white-gold walls. In the middle of the room were five desks that represented a five tear cake. At the bottom were six administrators, the second row three clergy speakers, third row two high class elders, and fourth row the head members of the five branches of the royal family. Lastly at the top was my elder sister, Aurina, the crown princess and future Queen of the Light Fey.

With a squeak on the marble flooring - probably do to my muddy boots - I stood in the middle of the council. The loud arguing room went silent at my presences and in seconds I could feel several hundred eyes fall on me.

Stretching out my left arm straight, palm up and out, I brought my right arm in and put my hand over my heart. With a bow of my head I gave my respects to my sister, "Respects Crown Princess." I spoke loudly enough for the room to hear me.

My light brown hair fell over my face when I heard a gasp from somewhere in the room, "that insolent wretch tracked mud into court!"

"Silence!" Bolstri, a rather elderly looking administrator shouted. "Thy shall hold their tongue when speaking to the second princess!"

Lifting my head up I looked up into the sea of senators, "My apologies for the mess, but I have just returned from the human realm." My eyes wandered over the mass of listeners, "my last assignment got a little - messy." I smiled at the men and whispering began.

"My lady!" A man slammed his fist on the desk before him, "this nonsense must stop. Venturing into the realm of humans only to fight is beyond the family. It's a disgrace to the Fey blood! Involving yourself with anything other than Fey is below you. Below your blood! I move for you to halt human relations as well as demonic and vampiric!" I would have thought as much. If it isn't Fey it might as well be vermin, or at least that's what the court thinks.

I rolled my eyes and turned to my sister to see her looking down at me, her bright blond hair fix up with some expensive looking ornaments. As much as I know she loves me, she hates it when I throw the court into a ruckus. "Estemer, if your motion didn't move last month what makes you think it will move now?"

"But-"

"-Enough, court is dismissed for the day," my sister announced.

I smirked and glanced at Estemer, he caught my eye making my smirk grow wider. He looked flustered and quickly began his way towards the exit.

Everyone left the room till it I was left with only my sister. She sighed as she slowly moved from her high posted to the ground floor. "Devi, why do you like causing trouble for the council?"

I shrugged and crossed my arms, "cause most of them are fun to mess with."

She finally descended to the floor, her baby blue dress flowing with every moved she made. Placing her right hand to her forehead she closed her eyes, "what am I to do with you?"

I shot her a cheeky smile and shrugged, "beats me."

Opening her eyes she looked at me, "where's the mask?"

"Tossed it. Split in half when I was attacked."

She frowned, "I will assume you want another one?" I nodded, "Listen Devi, I understand this is the protocol for mourning, but it's been five years. Vander is gone," she reached out and took my left hand in her's. Holding it up I looked at my gloved hand, "Wearing that mask every year isn't the only thing that's here to remind you of him."

"I have to wear it, I wear it for the both of us, I wear it for our younger brother. You are the crown princess and can't wear such a disturbing mask, and our younger sibling is far too small to wear it. How morbid would it be for an eight year old to be wearing a skeleton mask?" She didn't respond, "Exactly."

"But you too are a Princess, and besides why brand yourself with a mask when you are already branded." I narrowed my eyes and snatched my hand back, "You treat it like a bad omen, Devi. Why cover the crest of Vander? It's a blessing, not a curse."

"How would you feel if you woke up one morning after battle, blood all over you, with no memory and suddenly the crest of your dead brother is on your hand? And the left hand of all things!" Within the Fey there is a tradition involving the left hand. When you find your other half and promise to belong to one another you place a unique crest on each other’s’ left hand. Kind of like how Weres mark their mates. Though when the Fey enter marriage the mark becomes permanent as well as forms an intricate band on the ring finger. "With this crest of his on me Vander has might as well tattooed, 'Forever Alone,' or 'Backoff Assholes,' on my forehead."

Aurina gave me a sympathetic look, "Well while we're speaking of marks I will take this opportunity to tell you that you will be escorting me to a wedding tomorrow.”

"Sister say what?"

Sensing my attitude she placed her right hand on her hip, "wedding, tomorrow. You will be coming with me."

"As a guest?”

"Secret guard."

"And why do I have to go?"

She cracked a smile, but it looked more like a smirk. "Consider it as some family time."

"So in other words I'm being punished."

She laughed, "Oh I wouldn't dream of it." She walked passed me and I heard her mumble, "If I wanted to punish you I'd have you wear high heels." with that she left the room.

Shaking my head I face the large white doors to see the dragon eye me. "She's punishing me right?" it nodded, "I knew it." Running my gloved hand through my messy hair I looked around the room. Besides me it’s completely empty, perfect. Walking back to the little hall I where the entrance is I turned to the wood of the stands. There is two ways a person can enter the stands, one the member entrance from outside the room and two, the wall in the hall. Knocking lightly twice on the white wood the wood rippled like water revealing a red fabricated staircase. Stepping through my boots touched the red fabric as I felt a rush of air pass me. Magic from the council still lingered in the air ever after they had left. Looking up the stairs I heard the wall close up behind me before I started on my way up.

Council would chew my head off if they caught me up here again. Last time I came up here I spilt some beer on the carpet, Estemer was so angry I thought his head would explode. Jogging up the stairs I came upon the many rows that belonged to the members. Moving through the rows of soft red seating and beautiful brown wooded desks I made my way to the one seat I know remains unused. Granted at the moment all the seats are not being used, but this seat is special, it’s different. It’s the only seat that is a deep purple with black suede armrests, like a black sheep it sticks out. It sits in the middle of the curve on the room, right at the back at the cream colored wall.

As I walked through the rows I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Turning my head I noticed the dragon from the door was following me from the wall. It made some kind of purring noise, its whiskers whip around slowly. Eyeing the beast I heard a growl come from the opposite side of the room making me snap my head in that direction. Red swirls danced across the wall and form a second dragon. It was crutching and looking back at me, boy when did they install these beasts? How long was I gone for? I know time alters differently here; a month in the human world is like eight months in Faerie. So if I was only gone a week how much time is that? Half a month? A month? Two months? I don’t know.

The red beast growled at me, flickers of tiny flames poking its way out of its massive snout. I narrowed my eyes at it practically daring the thing to try and burn me. For some reason I could feel a foul mood about to come on and the last thing I wanted to deal with was a bothersome ward. Before I could do anything I heard a low growl from behind me and then a massive scaly foot landed on the edge of the seating. Looking up the white dragon hovered over me in a protective stance while growling at its counterpart.

“Now, now, calm down. We don’t need a fight to start in such a small space do we?” I looked between the two beasts, but neither looked as if they were going to yield anytime soon.

I sighed when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a flash of movement. Looking up a small, leathery skin, brown creature hopped in front of me. It started yelling out to the red dragon while waving it’s arms around. Looking back at the red beast I notice it slowly begin to fade away instantly making me relax. Smiling I looked at the small creature, “Princess Devi,” it bowed before me.

“Scad,” I smiled at the dark fey brownie. Typically dark fey don’t come to the light fey’s kingdom, but Scad has always been a special case.

The one foot tall creature lifted his head and smiled at me. His sharp teeth glistened in the light, “your seat awaits you.” He waved his hand out for me to continue walking and as I did he walked behind me. “It’s been quite some time since I last saw you, Princess.”

“And how much time is that?”

“About two months,” he said, “much is happening in the palace. Your sister’s claim to the throne is practically ensured now.”

I smiled as I approached the dark seat, “I’m happy to hear that.” I walked up to the purple chair and sat down. When it comes to this seat no one is allowed to use it, Scad makes sure of it. Once a man sat here and refused to move when Scad told him to. So Scad not being one to take no for an answer he jumped on the man’s boot and nearly tore the man’s big toe off with his teeth. Yet for some reason Scad allows me to sit here.

Scad moved up onto the seat beside me and looked rather bothered for some reason, “Princess,” he started. “As happy as I am that you have returned, I can’t help but feel you should immediately cross into the human realm.”

I looked at him, taking in his ghoulish appearance. Thin strands of black hair on his almost bald head, brownish leather skin, bony fingers with sharp four inch nails, dark brown almost black eyes, and finally his thin mouth that hid his teeth for the moment.

“Scad… Is something wrong?”

His eyes shifted around the room, “I feel a darkness creeping around the palace. I’ve been feeling it the past few days. Each day it grows closer,” he whispered to me. “It’s a darkness I haven’t felt in a long time. It concerns me.”

I nodded to him and then the lights darkened drawing my attention. Looking away from Scad I noticed men seated in some of the seats. Guess it’s time for the meeting. A clap came from the floor gaining everyone’s attention, including mine.

A man stood in the middle of the room. He looked like he was in his late forties, but I know that isn’t he real age. His name is Alter and as for his age he’s eight hundred, “Nice you all to come tonight.” He looked around the room and stopped when facing me, “On behalf of all of us I would like to welcome you back second princess Devi.” He gave a slight bow to which I nodded my head. Alter is head of the secret guard, a division my brother created while he was alive.

A division Aurina doesn’t know about.

This guard is mainly made up of the men my brother trusted with his life, and after his passing I was brought into the group.

“Today after recovering information from a vampire we have found out about some recent movements within fallen community.” Alter looked around, “it would seem Aeron has been active as of late.”

I sat up in my seat at the name he said. Aeron Coope, the man that led an uprising five years ago and in that uprising he killed my brother. My stomach twisted at the sound of his name. When I first discovered it was him that brought the chaos to the Light Fey I hated him, but when I found out it was him that killed my brother I nearly went ballistic. For months I felt blood thirsty and travel to different realms in search for him, but I never found any trace of him. What probably drove my blood thirst was the way my brother was killed.

Like me Vander was half Fey and half mage, and typically mages are easier to kill. Stab to the heart, bullet to the head, but when you’re part fey things are very different. Fey people are harder to kill. When you are determined to kill a Fey then you must slaughter them like a hung up hog, or complete disembodiment.

Tightening my fists I felt a tug on my arm, “Princess Devi,” Scad whispered to me, “Princess relax. Blood is dripping from your hand.” I blinked and looked down at my right hand. My nails had dug into my palm causing me to frown. Perfect red crescents were craved into my skin, “relax and give it a moment. Take four deep breaths,” I nodded and did as he said. Slowly as I took the deep breaths I watched as the wounds healed.

I continued to breathe deeply, “burn.” My breathing hitched as I froze, “burn, incinerate, ash, to ash.” A voice whispered to me sending a chill through me. “Kill everyone.

I screamed in my seat feeling my left hand burn underneath the glove. It felt like I placed in into an open flame letting flames engulf my skin. Tears slipped down my cheeks when a hand grabbed onto my left wrist. “Breathe, Princess, breathe,” Scad said urgently making me scream louder.

“Devi,” Alter said now beside me as I doubled over in my seat, “Devi what’s wrong?”

I was about to say something when I heard Scad hiss beside me, “the darkness, its here.”

“What are you talking about?” he hissed at Scad when a powerful wave ripped through the room. I froze feeling my stomach drop, “The barrier, it’s gone.” Alter sounded surprise and then quickly stood up, but I didn’t watch him.

My hand continued to burn in Scad’s hold, “Scad…” I cringed in pain, “what’s happening to me?”

“Clatter the chamber of the golden seal. Burn the place for no life to heal, and then bask in the ash as the kingdom kneels.” The voice sang and then laughed.

I quickly looked up at Alter, “quick! Take me to Vander’s chamber!”

Alter looked at me, utterly baffled, “we need to take you to safety.”

I shook my head, “There’s something wrong. I can feel it,” the walls shook as I looked at Alter. “We need to go there. Now.”

The dragon on the wall growled loudly, and then the growling doubled. Looking at the wall the red dragon returned facing the door way. A loud boom went off and the door flew into the room where Alter stood earlier. Smoke drifted into the room and the two dragons leapt from the walls to the floor. They roared making the room shake, “Shit,” Alter took hold of my right hand and hoisted me up. Reaching to his belt he whipped out an oddly curved blade and sliced into the air. A purple line wiggled midair as Alter pulled me to him and wrapped his arm around my waist, “hold your breath.”

I had no time to respond as he leapt forward to the line and suddenly we were falling through the air. Involuntarily I screamed, but it was cut short when the two of us slammed onto marble flooring. Alter grunted and released me on impact causing me to roll away from him. I gasped for air when I heard the beginning of a slow steady clap. My ears perked at the noise, my left hand began to sizzle, and for some reason a voice inside me was telling me, ‘whatever you do. Don’t look up.’ Reluctantly I did letting my eyes look at the floor, small black marble steps, then a pedestal where a Gold coffin rested. Vander’s coffin.

As I eyed the coffin a leg entered my view, “My, my, what an entrance,” the clapping continued as I looked up for a full body view. A man in a complete black ensemble stared down at me. He stopped laughing when I looked at him, “Time certain has been your friend, hasn’t it?” he purred from where he sat on top of the coffin. His eyes reminded me of liquid metal completely throwing me off.

I scowled as I got to my feet, “who are you?” I hissed.

The man tilted his head to the side obviously confused by my question. “Does my face not spark any name in you?” I continued to stare at him when the burning in my left hand began acting up. Bringing my gloved hand to my chest his eyes narrowed in on it, “Hmm…” he murmured whilst a smile stretched his lips.

“What are you doing here?” I asked venomously.

He chuckled and reached into the coffin, “just paying a visit to an old friend of mine,” his hand came out in a fist. Moving his hand in front of him, he opened his fist and blow into his open hand. A puff of grey came out and scattered around in the air.
My heart fell as I recognized the grey flanks in the air.

Ash.

“What did you do?!” I screamed at him. Without a doubt every fiber in me knew that the ash was Vander. What angered me was when we laid Vander to rest he wasn’t cremated.

The man in front of me suddenly disappeared when I heard it. There was a light tap that sound like a boot touching the floor. I half turned when I felt the air knock out of me and suddenly I was pressed against a pillar. Widening my eyes I found myself lock gazes with the mysterious intruder. His silver eyes bore into my lavender ones almost, almost like he was trying to confirm something. With our eyes locked I felt the strange sensation of my stomach doing a summersault as I felt his hot breath of my face.

I lifted up my left hand and grabbed the forehand connected to the hand that held me captive. Underneath the glove my hand burned even more making me wince, “What do we have here?” he yanked my hand off of him and held it up to his face. His eyes scanned over the glove before he brought it to his mouth. My middle finger touched his bottom lip before his teeth bit down on the glove and tugged it off. My stomach did a flip at his fluid movement while he spit the glove to the floor and turned my hand over. “What’s this?” he practically growled at the sight of Vander’s mark on my hand. His grip on my wrist tightened making me squirm, “What is this?” he demanded looking at me.

I stared at him when something flew between us making him jump away from me. The voices of guards sounded off from the balcony making the man in front of me scowl. His hand reached to his belt and I watched as he produced a blade similar to the one Alter used earlier. Something sliced through the air making him jump back once more. Looking at the floor I noticed an arrow, “bye-bye princess,” I snapped up to look at him, but he was gone.

The moment he disappeared the burning stopped, but I couldn’t help but feel sick. With my hand burning, the rest of my left side felt cold, and then there was the way my stomach was flipping. Everything was giving me a headache, especially now that my adrenaline was subsiding. Yet I feel something strange in me, almost, empty.

With that empty feeling numbness came over me.

I blacked out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please, and while you're at it subscribe and recommend.

:D