Daunting Time

Chapter One

I spun my pencil around on the tabletop, watching it twirl out of control. I mentally calculated the amount of time it took, for it to make it all the way around five times, and attempted to beat my record of four seconds. I patiently waited for it to come to a rest, so I could repeat the process over again.

A pair of hazel eyes peered at me from across the table, full of amusement, before they glanced over my shoulder. A warm hand ran across my back, and I knew it was my aunt Emily without even looking up. I had felt that warm embrace many times, since moving in with her and Sam two years ago.

My mom remarried when I was fourteen, and planned on moving us to Salem where her new husband's company was based. I was under the impression that I would be moving there with them, until I was promptly informed two days before the move, that hence forth, I would be living with the Uleys. I still don't understand how that decision had been made, but I had heard quite a few hushed arguments behind closed doors. They all seemed to end with Uncle Sam stating, "you can take her, but she will come back."

"Claire," she cooed breaking me out of my memories, "are you having trouble with your homework?"
Ellie, the owner of the hazel eyes across the table, looked over at me and snickered. She knew I was stalling, but I didn't really care.

"No, I'm fine," I smiled up at her, picking my pencil back up, pretending to study the math problem in front me.

"Okay," Emily smiled, patting me on the shoulder and returning to the stove.

Ellie was now covering her mouth, to hide her smiles. I stuck my tongue out at her, and returned to my pencil spinning challenge. Ellie was used to my antics by now, she'd been my best friend, ever since our very first day of kindergarten. She understood that I wasn't a normal sixteen year old. Normal sixteen-year-old girls spend hours putting on make-up and fixing their hair. They pass notes in class, and go out on Friday nights, scoping out the hottie from fifth period.

I'm not that girl. I don't wear make-up, and for me, fixing my hair consists of simply grabbing the nearest ponytail holder I can find. My Friday nights were spent at my aunt Emily's house, because no boy at my school, could even compare to the hordes of man meat, that passed through this house on a regular basis.

That horde of man meat, was exactly the reason why I was wasting time. If I finished my homework too early, I would miss the blissful experience of my daily tutoring session with my favorite wolf.
Yes, I said WOLF.

It's just one of the many other reasons, why I am not a normal sixteen year old. Ellie had not the slightest comprehension, of the secrets that surrounded my make shift family. But I knew everything. The legends of the Quileute tribe, were never just legends to me. It's kind of hard to deny their truth, when you learn how to walk, holding on to the thick fur of a wolf. I understood that my life was protected by warriors, bound to this land through blood and their love for its people. I respect these warriors. I admire these warriors. Above all, I love these warriors.

It were these warriors, whom I so anxiously awaited. My weekdays came and went like clock work. I went to school in the mornings, suffering through the busy work and making small talk, with people whose names I still couldn't remember. After school, I met up with Ellie. Ellie's aunt drove her down from the Makah rez, almost every single day. It was our good fortune, that her aunt had a Quileute boy toy, that she couldn't do without.

We always came to my house, or well, Emily and Sam's house, to do homework. I always stalled, having an average of solving one problem per twenty minutes, until about twenty minutes to six. That was the key moment. It was at that moment, that our now quiet and calm kitchen, would be bombarded with nine over grown wolf boys, who were usually covered in mud, and ready to scarf down anything eatable in a two-mile radius. It was without a doubt the absolute highlight of my day.

The annoyed huff I let out, when impatiently glancing up at the clock, realizing I still had to wait another five minutes. Was soon followed by a condescending snort, coming from Ellie, who was very studiously finishing up her homework.

"What," I accused, "don't act like you're not looking forward to it too!"

She desperately tried to shrug her shoulders, in an attempt at looking nonchalant. Ellie wasn't much of a talker. That was fine with me though, because I was a talker and we fit together quiet nicely.

However, there was no need to say out loud, what was clearly written all over her face, every time those boys walked through that door. I knew, because I got the exact same look on my own.

"So you're telling me, that you wouldn't be just A LITTLE disappointed, if Embry Call didn't come over today?"

She tried to keep her face straight, but she did not succeed. I smiled. "Thought so," I stated smugly, giving my pencil one last spin across the table.

She took a cautious glance at Emily in the kitchen, to make sure she couldn't hear us, before leaning towards me.

"You know he might get suspicious, if you never finish your homework on time," she whispered, "it's getting a little obvious."

I gave a casual flick of my wrist, "if Quil doesn't want to help me with my homework, he doesn't have to, it's not like he's being forced to do it."

Quil always helped me with my homework, it was just one of the many reasons why he was my favorite wolf. Yeah he was a great tutor, but there were at least a thousand other things that were great about him. For instance, the way he always smiles when he comes into a room, the way he can't seem to stop talking, even when his mouth is full, the way he likes to pull my hair bows out, whenever I'm not looking, the way his shorts hang low, revealing the slight edge of his boxers, fueling my fantasies for that day, and most importantly his abs. Oh mother of all things lickable, did that boy have nice abs. Quil Ateara's abs, are credited for my passage into woman hood.

I will remember that moment for the rest of my life. We were at first beach picking out rocks for my new fish bowl, when he pulled his shirt off. It wasn't the first time I'd seen him without a shirt, but it was the first time that the little lady down stairs actually registered the visually stimulating perfection, and she informed me that we were now his number one fan. Essentially it was the day I bought my first thong. I haven't worn it, but its there in my top drawer, with Quil's name written all over it.

Ellie was still giving me skeptical looks. She was much more realistic about her unadulterated wolf man lust. She at least admitted to herself, that it would probably never actually happen for her and Embry. I mean, we were sixteen, and they …..weren't. I hadn't exactly explained to Ellie, that yes, the boys were twentyish, but contrary to what she was expecting, they were going to stay that way, so we would eventually catch up to them. That was my main hope. One day Quil and I would finally be the same age, and I would magically sprout a chest more glorious than his, that would make him want to give me a nick name a little more sensual than Claire bear. Its what I asked Santa for every year: boobs and Quil. I didn't think it was that much to ask for.

I looked back up at the clock, to happily find it sitting at the desired time. I straightened my ponytail, and sat up a little straighter in my chair. Ellie instantly rolled her eyes.

"Five bucks, says that Embry is shirtless today," I proclaimed pulling an empty chair conveniently next to mine.

"You actually want me to bet against that?" She laughed, blush filling her cheeks.
Ellie and I tended to make a lot of bets with money we didn't actually have. It was a habit we'd picked up from the two boys, whom most of our bets centered around.

"Okay," I amended, "five bucks, says he's wearing that green, pin striped t-shirt you love."

" That isn't a fair bet," she explained, " statistics show that Embry wears that shirt at least once a week."

" Only because you told him he looked hot in it," I teased.

Her mouth dropped open, and she turned around checking on Emily's where abouts again.

"I did no such thing!" She hissed, "I merely pointed out that green compliments our skin tone very well."

"Yeah, but we all know that when you say our skin tone, you really mean Embry's smooth, flawless, softer than a baby's newly powered…"

"Shut it!" She warned, as we heard a familiar stomping coming around the house.

I pulled my books closer to me, straitening my papers. "Do we have a bet or not?" I asked, leaning back to look through the kitchen at the backdoor.

The knob turned. "No," she rushed, "I spent my imaginary five bucks on new lip gloss."

The back door flew open, and a herd of hotness bounded through. I sat back up in my seat, pretending to focus on my books, but tuning my hearing to the voices filling the kitchen. I smiled up at Ellie who quickly returned it. "The best part of the day," I mouthed and she blushed again.

Voices roared into the kitchen. "Emmie," the familiar voices of Brady and Collin greeted in unison.
Brady and Collin were the youngest in the pack. When I say young, I mean they phased when I was like two and half. Even though they were technically sixteen years older than me, I had still managed to mature faster than them. They were the resident pack perverts. Quil constantly warned them to behave themselves around Ellie and me, but his efforts were in vain. Every time we managed to be alone with them, we traded dirty jokes. Well technically I told them dirty jokes, and they explained why they were funny. Most of the time I ended up wishing I hadn't asked, and then I would blush every time I looked at Quil for a whole week.

Next, I identified the voices of Paul and Uncle Sam. Uncle Sam was basically the greatest man I've ever known, he's been the only father figure I have ever known, and like his other responsibilities, he doesn't take that job lightly. Sometimes I wish he was a little more lenient, but then Quil always reminds me its for my own good, and well, I can't argue with Quil. Paul was like my second father, except I refused to look at him like that. Mostly because I couldn't bare to refer to someone so hot, with a term that would insinuate that they were my relative, because then I would feel weird checking out his ass every now and then.

They were soon joined by Jared, who sounded like he was trying to slowly ease himself out of the conversation, and toward the food Emily was surely placing on the table. Jared was my partner in crime. If Quil was pestering me, I could always count on Jared to aid me in a counter attack. I shall owe him indefinitely, for gak attack of two thousand and four. Quil scrubbed green goo out of his ears for a month.
Then I heard Seth bouncing through the door. I didn't need to see it, to know it had to be Seth, he was the only wolf that could bounce and get away with it. He was like Tigger on crack. I loved him though. Seth was one of my closet and trusted friends, aside from Ellie and Quil. Sometimes I think he knows about my thing for Quil, but he's just too afraid to actually ask me for confirmation. He catches me staring sometimes, and will give me the quirkiest grins. I'm glad he hasn't asked though, because I would sure hate to have to lie to him. There is no way in hell I was telling that kind of secret, to a guy who shared a mind with Quil sixty percent of the day.

Bringing up the rear, were the poster boys for the wolf pack highlight reel. First I heard the quiet, calmness of Embry. Embry shared the same personality traits as Ellie, which is probably why I like the guy so dang much. Embry tended not to talk that often, but boy could he give off some facial expressions. Embry could say more with one look, than I could in five minutes. That's not to say Embry was a goody goody, or anything of the sort; it just meant that he preferred to create trouble on the down low. I mean when your best friend is Quil Ateara, you are bound to create trouble. Embry's words finally broke through the rest of the chatter.

" I've got five bucks on Jake," he announced.

That's when I heard it, a distinct scuffling sound on the other side of the door. My curiosity got the best of me, and I leaned back to look at the door. The tiny back door was overflowing with wolf. Squeezed between its small frame, were Quil and Jacob. They were both fighting and pushing to be the first to make it through. Jacob seemed to gain an inch, but then Quil would quickly pull him backwards again, through the door. Quil made a quick lunge, but Jacob narrowed his eyes.
"Stop," Jacob urged and my mouth dropped open.

Quil's body stiffened, and it was evident what Jacob had done. Jacob darted around Quil and, through the door raising his hands in victory. Quil dragged himself in slowly behind him.

"Five bucks," Embry stated holding his hand out toward Quil.

"No!" I yelled pushing back from the table, "he cheated!"

I don't know what came over me, but I was in the kitchen standing toe to toe with Jake, before I even realized what I had done.

"Technically," Embry smiled down at me, " we didn't say Jake couldn't use his Alphaness during this particular challenge."
I ignored Embry and his rational rule abiding bull crap. "You cheated," I accused looking Jake in the eye.
"It's okay Claire Bear," Quil whispered behind me, and I felt his hand swipe at my ponytail, "if that's what Jake needs to do to beat me for once, I guess I can let him have this one."

I crossed my arms and continued to stare at Jacob, I wasn't backing down about this. Jacob took one look over my head, and then grinned down at me.

"Fine," he smiled, "I won but Quil doesn't have to pay up. Can you agree to that?"

"Admit you cheated," I added.

He looked over my head one more time. "Sure, sure," he laughed turning towards the table. I turned around satisfied. Embry was smirking as inconspicuously as he could manage, and Quil just beamed at me.

"Good evening," he grinned. I smiled sheepishly, putting my hands in my pockets.

"Done with your homework?" He asked tilting his head back towards the dining room table. My heart soared.

"Not really," I admitted, " I'm still finishing up my math." He made a funny face that made me laugh, as he instantly started walking towards my homework table.

"You should eat first," I told him, but he didn't stop.

"I'll get us something," Embry stated heading toward the feast, " save me a seat at the table."

Quil hopped in the seat that I had set up, just for him, and started examining my books.

"Calculus," he asked with his nose practically rubbing the pages, "damn. When did you get old enough to do this stuff?" Ellie eyed him from across the table, but managed to keep her focus mainly on her own work.

"I've been doing calculus all year," I pointed out sitting down next to him, "you act like I'm still in middle school." He turned around looking at me thoughtfully for a moment.

"I know you are not in middle school anymore Claire," he stated seriously. His seriousness lasted all of about two seconds. He brought a finger up, and flipped my nose. "Kid," he teased before turning back to my book, checking to see what problem I had made it to.

Embry entered the room carrying two full plates of food. "Thanks man," Quil stated reaching out for a plate.

Embry pulled the plates back, giving Quil a look that clearly was meant to state that neither of those plates belonged to him. It wasn't until the disappointment became evident on Quil's face, that Embry smiled and handed it to him. He trotted over taking the only other seat left at the table. He pointed toward a stack of Ellie's books, asking permission to move them, to which she slowly nodded her head. He carefully stacked them up in the middle of the table, before sitting down and digging in.
I couldn't stop smiling, as I watched Quil's face contort in what looked like immense discomfort, as he read down the pages. Something in my peripheral, caught my attention, Embry was sneaking a peek at Ellie's paper, out of the corner of his eye. She noticed as well and finally looked up. He leaned closer inspecting the writing at the top.

"Portfolio?" He asked.

"Personal narrative," she nodded. He leaned closer pointing to a specific spot on the paper.

"Comma," he whispered.

She looked down at the paper and back to him. She pushed the paper towards him raising her eyebrows. He nodded, slightly reaching over taking the pencil from her hand, and pulling the paper closer to him. He focused intensely on the paper as Ellie sat watching.

"Claire," Quil said shaking my knee under the table, " earth to Claire."

"Huh? What?" I said turning back to him.
"Whats up with you today kid?"

I shoved his hand off my knee, " stop calling me that!"

His eyes narrowed and he pulled back away from me, "okay."

I grabbed the pencil from his hand, and started rushing through the problems on my paper. A large hand wrapped around the pencil holding it in place.

"Claire," he whispered.

I closed my eyes as chills ran up my spine. Why did he have to say my name like that? Did he know I couldn't resist him?

"Are you upset with me about something," he continued. I didn't answer, I just kept my eyes closed and tried to breath, as his thumb ran over the back of my hand.

"Because I should remind you, that according to an iron clad pinky promise, you are not allowed to be mad at me." I took a deep breath, and opened my eyes. Quil would bring that up, I shouldn't be forced to abide by a promise I couldn't even remember making. I focused on the paper unable to look him in the eye.

"Just don't call me that," I told him.

"Is Claire bear still okay?" I finally turned, catching the line of his eyes that were filled with worry, and broke all resolve I thought I had.

"Yes," I sighed, "Claire Bear will always be okay." He smiled and squeezed my hand before letting it go.

"So I think it's time I admitted something to you," he said seriously narrowing his eyes at my book. I raised my eyes unable to ask and trying not to get my hopes up. His grin widened.

"I have no freaking clue, on how to do this crap," he laughed. My heart sank back down but I couldn't help but smile back.

"It's okay Quil, you can go, you're officially off the hook."

"No," he said scooting up closer to the table, "I just mean you are going to have to teach me."

"You serious?" He nodded before leaning his chin down into his hand, "take it slow though, calculus scares me."

"You are so weird."

Still not knowing why, Quil sat there, and listened to me do my homework, and pretended that he was totally amused by the whole process, but I was glad he did. Honestly, I didn't understand why Quil did a lot of things. Quil and Embry had to leave soon after dinner, to go run patrols with Paul and Jared. Jacob went to pick Leah up from work, followed by Sam and Emily's departure to check on Rachel and the new baby. Once Ellie's aunt picked her up as well, I was left alone with the three stooges.

"So what are we doing tonight," Brady asked stretching out on the couch.

"What we do every night," Seth sighed positioning a pillow under his head.

"Friends re-runs it is then," Collin announced flipping through the channels, "these never get old."
"That's what she said," Brady yawned.

"No," I blurted out. But they ignored me, and continued to get comfortable in their usual spots.

"No," I stated louder.

"What is it Claire?" Seth complained wiggling into his pillow.

"We are doing something different tonight," I explained, "so don't get comfortable."

"What do you have in mind," Brady asked curiously.

"Whose car is here?" Seth slowly raised his hand, "mine's here."

"Good. Grab your keys and lets go."