Daunting Time

Chapter Two

Seth stared at me with his deep penetrating eyes, he brushed his hair out of his face as he tried to process my request.

" Claire," he huffed, finally finding his voice, " you have got a better chance of getting me to make out with a vampire, than you do of me letting you drive my new truck."

I let out a long agonized whine, I didn't see what the big fuss was about. I had my learner's permit and Seth had a license, which meant I was legally capable of driving his damn truck.

" But Seth," I pouted, " I need to learn how to drive!"

Learning to drive was one of the most crucial steps toward adulthood, driving meant independence and freedom. Independence and freedom meant Claire wasn't a "kid" anymore. Seth shook his head, backing away from his truck like it was on fire.

" First of all, you still have six months before you are even allowed to take your driver's test."

I knew exactly where this was headed. Seth was the unchallenged master, of making lists of reasons for why one shouldn't do something. I could still see Embry's face, as he mocked me behind his back, the last time Seth made a list of why we shouldn't go swimming until May.

" Second," he continued, " teaching you to drive is not my responsibility. I can think of more than one person who would be pissed at me for it. Third, it's my brand new freaking truck!"

I knew if I wanted to win this argument, I needed back up, I turned to Brady and stuck out my lip. I could tell by the change in his posture, it bothered him to see me sad, he shuffled his feet uncomfortably.

" What could it hurt Seth," he asked, smiling weakly over at him.

" My truck, that's what it could hurt," he growled, " plus YOU KNOW he would kill us."

" Sam isn't going to do anything," I growled back at him. Seth glanced down at me confused, but quickly turned his attention back to Brady.

" We are not doing this." He stated determinedly.

" Come on man," Brady begged, " you taught me how to drive."

" True, however I taught you in Jake's old Rabbit, and you would have given Rachel a new door to her bedroom if I hadn't pulled the emergency brake in time."

Brady winced as he remembered the incident, I knew I was loosing. It was time to turn to back up number two, I gave Colin the same please help me pout. The only problem was that he was avoiding any eye contact like the plague; bastard.

They began having a discussion without me. Seth was continuing his list of reasons, I think he was officially up to five now, while Brady and Collin were commenting on why they made perfect sense. I hated when they did that, these boys had this uncanny ability to slip into big brother mode on occasion. Every single time it always concluded with them making the wrong decision without taking my opinion into consideration; I was sick of it.

I just walked off while they continued to argue, they were so wrapped up into their argument, they didn't even notice me leave. I started walking down the road, in no particular direction, I just knew I needed to get away. I needed to get away from these over grown, know it all jerks, who were determined to keep me imprisoned in this pseudo baby sister delusion, they had all created. I wasn't Claire bear anymore.

I'm Claire.

I have a learner's permit. I do calculus. I am a woman.

Why can't they see that?

I walked faster, wanting to put as much distance between us as possible. It was dark tonight, there was no moon or stars to light my way down the road, but I kept walking. I followed the edge of the blacktop, using it as my guide.

" Claire!"

Well what do you know; Seth finally realized I was gone, that actually took less time than I thought. Usually they could decide my choices for me for hours, I guess I'm just not that lucky tonight.

" Claire stop!"

I knew he was gaining on me, and would eventually catch up with me, he was a wolf after all. However, if I stopped that meant I would be acknowledging his command over me, and Seth Clearwater didn't tell me what to do anymore. So I kept walking. Until his hot hand grabbed my arm pulling me to a stop.

" Where the hell do you think you're going?"

" I don't answer to you," I snapped, pulling away from him roughly.

" I'm going for a walk. Now let me go."

" Claire its dark. I can't just let you walk off into the middle of no where."

" Yes you can, and you will. Look Seth, I've got enough big brothers trying to tell me what to do all the time okay?"

" I'm not trying to be your brother. I'm your friend remember?" He tried.

" No. You are not my friend Seth. I mean, I really thought you were, but your not. You are just like the rest of them. Overprotective."

" What's wrong with wanting to keep you safe?"

" Nothing, but that's what big brothers do. My friend would have jumped at the chance to teach my how to drive. Friends are there for you no matter what crazy idea you come up with. Friends throw caution to the wind, and break all the rules with you, and then have your back when you get caught."

I couldn't take it anymore, I turned around and started walking again. Saying it out loud like that, made me realize that it was actually true. Seth wasn't my friend, he was just like all the other wolves. He grabbed me again.

" Claire stop."

" Just let me go," I begged, trying to hold back the tears that were welling up in my eyes.

I was such an emotional basket case lately. He grabbed my hand this time.

" Claire, my truck is in this direction remember?"

" What?" I turned around to see him hang his head down.

" You are right," he mumbled, " I can't claim to be your friend, and still treat you like my little sister."

" You are being serious?"

" Yes. Every wild and crazy rule breaking teenager needs an accomplice right?" I nodded as the tears came out anyway. I ran to him throwing myself in his arms.

" Thanks Seth. I really need you. I really need a best friend who knows about all this crap."

" Yeah, yeah," he laughed, " just promise me one thing though."

"Anything!"

" Can we not tell Quil about this?"

The whole point was to tell Quil, since I wanted Quil to realize I was growing up, it was him I wanted to know that I could drive. Seth waited anxiously for my answer, I guess I didn't have to tell Quil exactly how I learned how to drive, it just mattered that he knew I could.

" Sure Seth," I agreed.

" Good. We don't want him going all big brother on us, you know?"

I knew far too well, Quil was the absolute worst about this protective crap. I swear I think Uncle Sam pays him money on the side, just to look after me. We walked back up the road, towards the boys. They stood up cautiously as they saw us coming.

" So, what's the deal," Brady asked, " are we on the Claire Bear hit list?" I heard the jingling sound of keys as they hit my chest, I caught them awkwardly in mid air as they fell toward the ground.

" I've got shot gun," Seth sighed.

" Hell yeah," Colin screamed, " Claire's driving the party wagon tonigt!"

" Watch your mouth," Seth snapped.

" Seeeeeth," I reminded. He rolled his eyes.

" Cussing has nothing to with being a kid Claire," he explained, " it's a girl thing."

" They cuss in front of Emily." I countered.

" They being correct. Not me." He had me there, I don't think I'd ever heard Seth cuss before. I'd have to let him by on that one.

I hopped in the driver's seat with my sense of renewed power. As I adjusted the seat until I could finally reach the pedals, I saw Seth smirking at me out of the corner of my eye. I glared at him. Just because I was little didn't mean anything, I couldn't help that he was a freaking giant.

Colin and Brady climbed in the back, Seth had specifically bought a king cab truck in order to accommodate the shear size of his brothers, but they still looked like ten year olds trying to sit in a booster seat.

" So, where are we headed," Brady asked leaning over the seat.

" Anywhere that has food," Colin chimed in, " Mrs. Anne's diner doesn't close until nine, and it's only a couple miles from here."

" You think you can make it four miles in an hour Claire?" I pushed Brady's head back where it belonged.

" Look guys," Seth sighed, " Claire needs to concentrate. This is her first time so I don't need the two of you distracting her. First we need to go over the basics."

" I know the basics Seth." I sighed exasperated.

" My truck," he growled, " my rules."

Brady, Colin and I all let out frustrated groans, Colin mumbled something about starving to death, but Seth just ignored him. He started on his lecture, which included every single detail, down to using the windshield wipers and how to properly fasten your seat belt. Twenty minutes later he finally let me start the engine.

I was scared to death, Seth's truck was the size of a bulldozer, I felt like I could just plow over trees if I wanted to. My first instinct was to use both feet, I wanted to put one on the gas and the other on the brake, Seth quickly informed me that was not acceptable. I knew he was just as nervous as me, when he scooted over into the middle, in order to get a good angle on the emergency brake. I was determined to at least do better than Brady had.

I pulled slowly down the driveway adjusting to the new sensation, Seth had me try out the brakes a few times in order to get a feel for how hard I needed to push down. I stopped at the edge of the driveway and looked over at Seth for reassurance.

" Will you forgive me if I wreck your truck?"

" Yes, but I know a wolf who will be paying me back."

A round of sniggers came from the back seat and I assumed he was referring to Uncle Sam since he was my legal guardian. I took in a deep breath, lightly tapped the gas and took my first leap toward adult hood.

I drove approximately ten miles per hour, even though the speed limit was forty-five. Colin announced he was going to take a nap and to wake him when we made it, Brady was faking his amazement at how fast the trees were passing by. I tried to ignore them. My hands were clenched around the steering wheel, to the point that my fingers were turning white, Seth gently placed his hand over mine loosening my grip.

" Relax," he instructed.

The scariest part came when it was time to pull into the parking lot at the diner, Seth informed me that I needed to take one of my hands off the steering wheel, in order to flip on my turn signal. I tried to suggest that Brady just stick his head out the window to check if anyone was behind us, but Seth insisted we follow protocol.

I managed to use my turn signal without any major disasters. Luckily the parking lot was empty, because my first attempt at pulling into a parking space was laughable, I managed to park directly over the yellow line. Seth had to show me how to put it in reverse and try again, on the third try I finally managed to stay between the lines. I hopped out of the truck with a huge sigh of relief and accomplishment, I tried to hand Seth his keys but he just shook his head.

" Keep 'em," he smiled, " someone has to drive us home." I felt insanely cool putting his keys in my pocket.

The boys scarfed down dinner as per usual, and waited on me while I finished at a more human pace. Colin effectively begged Seth into taking the long way home, so I could go around a few awesome curves. I was amazed at how quickly Seth agreed.

" I think she can handle it," he smiled, " I mean, she did make it out of the driveway without a death attempt on the house."

" I thought the R meant ready," Brady growled, " not reverse."

We started our return trip home, and Seth even allowed us to turn on the radio. About halfway home we passed by a roadside speedometer, I usually didn't pay attention to those things but today it caught my attention, mostly because it registered me at twenty miles per hour. I was still way below the speed limit, but I was definitely improving, Brady laughed from the back seat.

" Come on Claire, I can run faster than that!" He snorted.

" Yeah," Colin agreed, " I bet I could get at least twenty-five on that thing."

" I could get thirty," Brady challenged.

" Well, how about we pull over and you two put your money where your mouth is," I grinned, flipping the turn signal on like a pro.

" Let's do it," Colin encouraged.

We pulled over, and I let Seth take the wheel in order to back us up, until the truck was right behind the speedometer. I climbed out and took a balcony seat in the bed of the truck, Seth leaned up against the side, as we watched Brady and Colin run off into the distance. They lined up next to each other, obviously talking smack while they checked for on coming vehicles.

" Idiots," Seth laughed.

"Entertaining idiots," I corrected.

Colin went first, running full speed straight at the speedometer. True to his word, he registered at thirty.

" Yeah! Beat that," he yelled back at Brady.

Brady readied himself and took off, registering a very respectable forty miles per hour. Of course Colin immediately started screaming for a re-try.

" I get to go again," he argued, " I felt some wind resistance that first time."

"Whatever," Brady laughed, " you are still not going to beat me."

They started walking back until suddenly they stopped dead still, I watched as all their faces winced at the same time.

" What is it," I whispered to Seth.

He slowly closed his eyes and turned toward the trees, I looked around him to see two sets of large glowing eyes peering out towards us. We'd been caught. The eyes disappeared and I knew it was only a matter of time before they returned, I heard his voice even before I caught sight of him.

" I can't believe you," Quil bellowed through the trees, " do you realize how dangerous this is?"

He finally broke through the tree line barefoot, sporting only a torn pair of blue shorts, I suddenly couldn't comprehend anything he was saying any more. He was pissed, I knew that much. However, I couldn't manage to make myself care, because I was too caught up in how his anger caused his muscles to flex.

It wasn't until Embry walked out behind him, that I broke myself out of my lust filled haze, Embry wasn't angry in the least. In fact, he had an amused expression as he propped himself up against one of the trees. Quil was still yelling as Seth, Brady and Colin shrunk beneath his authority. Quil stopped to take a breath, and Embry grinned over at me and winked.

" So Brady, how fast did you clock?"

" Forty," he whispered looking up at Quil, ready for another lashing.

" Forty," Embry mocked, " Quil got fifty-five."

Quil rounded on him with a look of horror. " Embry!"

" Come on man," Embry laughed, " you can't get pissed at the guys, for doing something that we did no less than an hour ago."

" Yes. I. Can." He hissed through clenched teeth.

" It's not like Claire was doing it," Embry explained, " she was sitting safely in the truck."

See there they go again, It's okay if they do crazy stuff, but heaven forbid Claire has a little fun.

" If I want to do it, I will," I spat at them. Quil glared at me.

" You heard me!" I jumped down out of the truck, and started walking in the direction of the starting point. It was time for Claire to make a stand, Quil caught me as I stomped pass him.

" You are not doing this." He said.

" I think I am."

" You could get hit by a car!"

" You could have too!"

" I'm a wolf!"

" And I'm grown enough to make my own decision about it!"

" Is that was this is about? Claire, I thought I told you, I know you are not a kid anymore. But that's not going to stop me from wanting to keep you safe! I don't care if you whether you were five or fifty, I'm going to act this way regardless of your age."

" Why? Why do you HAVE to act this way? They don't!" I pointed towards Seth and the boys.

" Embry doesn't! Why do YOU of all people have to act like this?" I yelled.

He stepped back and gritted his teeth. " I just do," he growled.

" That's not an answer." I pushed him away, and started walking, he grabbed me by the waist lifting me off my feet.

" You can get as pissed at me as you want Claire Bear but you are not doing this," he dragged me back toward the truck and sat me down.

My blood boiled, if it were possible for me to phase into a wolf, I would have done so right now.

" Fine," I hissed, " come on guys, let's just go!"

I pulled Seth's keys out of my pocket, and started toward the driver's seat, I found Quil blocking the door. He stared down at me, eyeing the keys.

" What?" No response, he just looked at me.

" Could you please move? I would like to go home. Isn't that what you want?" He never took his eyes off the keys.

" Do you think you are going to drive," he asked slowly.

" Yes, I drove here, so I'm sure I can drive back." His eyes darted to Seth, who was now leaning over the side of the truck like he was going to be sick.

" YOU LET HER DRIVE!?!" He roared. I slapped his chest in order to gain his attention.

" Yes! I drove! I do have a learner's permit," I reminded him, " I mean, you are the one who took me to get it!" He backed up with his hands in hair.

" Are you trying to kill me Claire? Is that your goal today?"

" My goal is to be a normal teenager. You know, like ones who don't have over protective mythical creatures all up in their business every day." He bit his lip as he stared down at me.

I attempted to casually push him aside. " Now if you will excuse me, the boys and I need to be getting home."

He moved… to my surprise, and allowed me to open the door. I climbed in as the others moved closer to the truck. Quil stood inside the door with his arm slung over the top of the frame, he was looking at the ground like he was studying the particles of dirt.

" Claire," he whispered.

" Yes?" I put the keys in the ignition, and looked around for my seat belt.

" One day I will ask you to forgive me for this," he continued, " but don't expect it to be tonight."

He looked up at me with a determined looked on his face.

" Forgive you for what exactly?" He climbed in the truck, sliding his arms beneath me and scooting me over into the middle of the seat.

" Hey! What are you doing?" I pushed against him but it was no use, I found myself sitting shot gun with my seat belt already in place.

" Quil!"

" I told you," he insisted closing the door and putting on his seat belt, " I will not apologize tonight."

My entire body started shaking with fury, he rolled down the window as he adjusted the seat.

" If you don't want to run home, I suggest you get in the car."

The back seat was over flowing with wolf, all four boys had somehow managed to squeeze inside. I turned around in my seat and faced the window the entire ride home, refusing to even look at him. As soon as we pulled into the driveway, I bolted for the door, holding it open as the boys walked through. Quil was the last one to approach, I closed it halfway stepping in front of the entrance, he looked at me for a second as he let out a shocked breath.

" Am I not welcome?"

" Not tonight." It hurt. My voice cracked on the last syllable, but I wasn't about to take it back, I had a point to prove.

" Understandable," he nodded backing up, " good night Claire."

He didn't leave immediately, instead he waited for me to go inside and slam the door in his face. Sauntering past the group of boys, who were sitting on floor of the living room like they'd been put on punishment. Embry was the only one missing, I found him in the kitchen whispering to Sam and Emily. The three of them all looked up when I passed by the door.

" Good night," I stated as I stomped up the stairs.

As I reached my bedroom, I almost burst into tears, staring me dead in the face was the sign I'd made when I was ten. In bold black letters, outlined in sliver glitter, were the words, " No Boys Allowed. Except Quil."

I grabbed the sign and threw it to the floor, I knew it was childish, but I didn't care.