Daunting Time

Chapter 3

I raided the fridge unable to wait for Emily to finish dinner. I could feel Emily's eyes drilling a hole through my back, she'd been watching me like a hawk for the past twenty-four hours, in fact everyone had. This morning Uncle Sam asked me how I slept last night, at least three times. Then out of nowhere, Seth showed up for breakfast, making these random comments about forgiveness and boys being prone to over react. It was obvious that this family did not react well to disagreements.

" You are unusually hungry today," she stated casually as she stirred a pot at the stove.

I heard Ellie's snort all the way from the dining room, I ignored them both and continued my search, I was on a mission and I couldn't waste any time to answer questions.

" Is there any particular reason for that," she asked.

The last time I checked, wanting an after school snack wasn't a crime. I spotted the two pound package of turkey. Jackpot.

" Nope." I threw a pile of food onto the counter, and quickly assembled a turkey and cheese sandwich, wasting no time shoving it into my mouth.

" LIAR," Ellie coughed under her breath.

I threw a glaring look toward the dining room. " TRAITOR," I coughed back.

My aunt Emily now stood before me with her hands on her hips, she was never one for beating around the bush, and she wasn't starting today.

" Spill it," she ordered. Spilling it was not an option today, I'll take skirting around the truth for two hundred please.

" I didn't eat lunch today," I admitted, taking another bite.

" Why?"

" No particular reason." Ellie came into my vision leaning up against the wall just inside the kitchen.

" No particular reason," she challenged, pronouncing her statement as if she was posing a question. Emily looked over at Ellie, and she just laughed.

" She didn't eat lunch, because she was determined to finish her homework before she left school today." She said with amusement.

TRAITOR!

" I just….wanted….a free….night….without homework," I explained, while chewing through the massive amount of food in my mouth.

Yes. We all knew that was a lie.

" Does this have anything to do with the fight you had with Quil last night?"

Everything.

" NO," I blurted out.

" YES," Ellie countered.

" You know," I hissed in Ellie's direction, " it's not necessary for me to invite you over to my house everyday."

" It's not necessary for you to STARVE yourself, just so can hurt Quil's feelings." Was her unfazed reply.

I didn't wait to witness Emily's reaction to that statement, and stalked off toward the living room with the rest of my turkey sandwich, and grabbed a bag of Doritos to watch TV for the remainder of the evening. Ellie brought her books into the living room, and started working on lab questions at the coffee table. I didn't talk and she didn't pry any further into my motivations.

Time passed by slowly, but I didn't dare look at the clock. I knew it had to be getting close, because I could smell dinner being placed out on the table. It wasn't five minutes later, when I heard the pack's arrival through the back door. Everyone was quieter today, I heard the same familiar voices but I couldn't make them out as distinctly as I normally could. At first I couldn't figure out the difference, but then I realized it was because they weren't laughing. I hadn't noticed this before, but their laughter was the most distinguishing feature about them. Maybe its because that's the sound I always hear most when around them.

Ellie leaned back stretching her arms before she closed her book.

" You going to eat dinner?"

And risk throwing a hissing fit in front of the whole pack? No thanks.

" I'm good." I stated, holding up my bag of Doritos.

She rolled her eyes and left the room, Ellie knew from experience that it was just best to let me do my thing, rather than trying to talk any sense into me. I flipped through the channels for amusement purposes only, I wasn't looking for anything in particular. I made it to channel twenty-five when someone lightly cleared their throat, following the sound, it lead me to find Embry grinning at me….shirtless. If only I wasn't in such a horrible mood, I could've had so much fun with Ellie right now.

" What?" I snapped at him. He just smiled and motioned me to follow him. Words Embry, I need words.

" What do you want," I asked again. He walked over and grabbed my hand pulling me off the couch.

" I need your assistance." He pulled me through the kitchen despite my resistance.

I couldn't stop myself from scanning the room as I passed even though, I already knew who was missing. Embry dragged me to the back door, stopping just at the entrance. I looked out to see Quil sitting up on the railing of the porch, looking out into the back yard.

" He says he's not allowed inside," Embry laughed, " so could you please invite him in so we can eat."

He gave me a light push, which had me stumbling out the door. Quil looked over his shoulder, his face completely blank. I'd seen Quil a thousand times during my life, he was wearing his favorite pair of old red shorts and a white ripped t-shirt. The difference being, I'd never seen him look quite so angry and yet completely unhappy.

" Claire," he acknowledge before turning back around.

" Quil," I spat back. There was dead silence, I knew Quil was insanely stubborn, so I knew I would have to speak first.

" You are welcome to come inside and have dinner," I explained crossing my arms, " I thought I made it clear that the ban was only for last night." He spun around and hopped down.

" Well, I just wanted to make sure, I would hate to trespass where I'm not wanted." That boy knew me so well.

He always knows exactly what to say, to make me feel guilty as hell, but the days of being guilty were gone. It was a new day and a new Claire. It was time I got mine.

" You have the nerve to be mad at me, after what you did last night?" No guilt. No mercy.

" At least I didn't refuse to apologize for what I did." I added.

" I thought I made it clear I only refused to apologize last night." He said then.

Alright. I put my hands on my hips and waited, if he was so adamant about it, I wanted to hear it.

He stepped closer, causing me to lean forward. That was another weird little habit he'd caused me to develop, he took a short glance down at the floor before licking his lips. Instantly I licked mine, I'd have to work on that tomorrow, one thing at a time.

" I'm going to be honest Claire, because that's what you deserve." He finally said.

What I deserve, is to be treated like a woman.

"I'm not sorry for my actions."

You should be. This isn't a good start at all.

" But I am sorry for the way I handled it." He stepped closer, tugging lightly on the end of my hair, twisting it around his finger.

"Claire, you have to understand that it had nothing to do with me trying to make your decisions for you. When you put yourself in danger, it SCARES me, and I react the only way I know how to."

I saw his mouth moving, but my mind was focused entirely on the hand that was now rubbing the side of my shoulder. Damn him and his mind numbing super powers! I mean, did they send these wolves to a special school to learn this crap, it was probably just another one of their amazing super powers.

" I mean, if something happened to you, if somehow you got hurt, I don't know what I would do." He let out his breath with a big whoosh.

The one thing I hated most about Quil, wasn't that he was so over protective, or that he made me forget my name, but it was the fact that I couldn't stay mad at him for the life of me. I'm starting to think pinky promises are the real deal after all.

He kept running his fingers over my shoulder, while he waited for me to speak.

" Quil," I sighed, completely ready to give in to his every desire.

" Wait, about the driving thing," he continued cutting me off.

" Mostly I was just hurt. If you wanted to learn how to drive, why didn't you ask me to teach you?"

You have no idea how much I wanted to do just that, that would be so awesome. I imagined him placing his hand over mine, just as Seth had done the night before, when he instructed me to relax. I knew that it was just a fantasy, in reality, Quil would be mister drama queen, and we would have ended up exactly where we are right now; pissed at each other.

" I just assumed you would tell me to wait, that I was too young." He didn't get angry, instead he just nodded his head like he understood.

" You are right, I won't lie to you Claire, I think you should wait. However, it's not my decision. If you would have just told me, that it was either I teach you or you would ask someone else….. I can't believe you thought I would say no."

Guilt.

Super powers I tell you! SUPER POWERS! I threw my hands in the air in frustration.

" You win Quil. I can't be mad at you."

" Claire, this isn't about winning."

" I know. It's about me not being able to be mad at you when you deserve it. I should get to be mad, not until you apologize, but until you apologize and start treating me like an adult."

" Oooookay, you are mad at me. What can I do differently? What exactly do you want? Go Clearwater on me for a second and give me a list."

A very offended huff rang out over my shoulder, and it was in that moment that I realized my entire family was standing right behind me, listening in on our very private argument. I slowly turned around, glancing over my shoulder. Where I saw nine sets of eyes staring back at me, with the most prominent set occupying the back corner. Unlike the rest of the eaves droppers, my uncle Sam's eyes were not full of amusement, in fact he wasn't even looking at me. He was looking past me, directly at Quil, with a look that I can only be described as threatening. I spun back around and walked toward Quil, until I was standing only inches from his chest.

" Follow me," I whispered.

He looked over my shoulder, I didn't have to turn around to know he was silently asking permission. I assumed Uncle Sam didn't signal the attack, because Quil placed his hand on my shoulder.

" Lead the way," he instructed.

I walked out into the backyard, to a round of moans from the porch. I loved my family, but I wasn't looking for an audience, this didn't involve them. This was a Quil and Claire thing.

Heading directly toward the nearest thicket, I was determined to walk as far as it took to get out of wolf range. Quil caught on to my plan, because he took the lead in order to clear the path for me. He pushed away branches, and offered me his hand to cross over fallen stumps.

" Careful," he would whisper back to me, followed by " watch your step."

I followed him as he led us further into the forest, minutes later he slowed down and turned towards me.

" I think we're good," he explained, " I can't hear them talking about us anymore." I nodded trusting in his judgment. He leaned back against one of the trees and let out a long tired breath.

" You can let me have it now," he sighed.

" I don't WANT to be angry with you Quil. In fact it's the last thing I want."

" I know. However you are angry, so tell me what I have to do to change that."

" No more nicknames," I blurted out without thinking.

" I thought Claire Bear was okay?"

I needed Quil to realize I wasn't a child anymore. I loved my nickname, but only because Quil gave it to me. The nickname in it self screamed " sweet little kid," and that wasn't the image I wanted to portray anymore. Even if Quil agreed not to call me kid, he would still think of me that way ,as long as I still held onto that particular nickname. It was a small step, but it was necessary.

" I changed my mind."

" Okay," he crossed his arms obviously unhappy with the way this conversation was going, " continue."

" I want to learn how to drive, and I want YOU to teach me." I want you to be in the front and center, to watch me prove that I can do this.

" I told you that I would, if you asked me."

My heart quickened at the thought, but I knew I had to stay focused. It was time we got down to the root of the problem. It was time I called Quil Ateara out, and made him face the facts like a man.

" I have one last request."

" Yes?" He encouraged.

I took a moment to gather my courage, making myself stand up a little straighter, before I took a breath and let it fly.

"No more split personality."

" Split personality?" He asked confused, " I don't understand Claire."

" Did you know that there are two different Quil Ateara's in the world?" He waited for me to continue, it was hard looking him in the eye knowing what was coming next.

"There is fun-time-hanging-with-my-friends Quil," I explained, " this Quil will cuss, tell dirty jokes, and has the maturity level of a four year old just for the heck of it. Of course, I've never met this Quil, but I hear from his brothers that he is a pretty awesome guy." I noted how his brow furrowed, and I knew he was catching on.

" Then there is the I-got-to-act-like-an-over-protective-jackass Quil."

"Claire." His voice was low and authoritive. I naturally sunk down in my posture in response, but I wasn't about to back down now.

"You KNOW you act differently around me, than you do everyone else," I accused. He bit his lip as he turned away from me.

" I don't do it on purpose," he mumbled under his breath.

" So I just bring the ass out in you?" His head shot back around, and his eyes darkened.

" I don't want to make this argument worse," I pleaded, " I just merely wanted to bring it to your attention."

" That you think I'm an asshole," he growled.

" No, I just thought you should know that if I got a piece of the other Quil every once in awhile, then I might not be so driven to the attack of Rover the Safety Wolf when he makes his grand appearances." He was thinking about it, which was more than I'd actually expected.

" I'll see what I can do. I can't promise I can change that part of me that quickly, it's not something I control."

" Just try. Please?" He nodded staring down at the ground.

" I'll try," he barked, " but I want something in return."

" Yes?" I urged using his same impatient tone.

" I heard that someone removed a sign from their door, that allowed a certain wolf passage into forbidden territory."

" That's not a request," I pointed out.

" If you want your best friend to visit for non-rover the safety wolf missions, then I want the sign put back where it belongs."

If it meant Quil in my bedroom, I'd make a new sign. A bigger, better, sparkling brighter than a vampire sign.

"Done." He smiled. He tried to hide it, but he couldn't. I'm glad he didn't.

" Can we eat dinner now," I asked.

" Of course Claire Be-ahhhh," he mumbled the last part as he gave me an I'm sorry grin.

" You'll get used to it," I promised.

" I don't want to get used to it," he mumbled, pulling back a branch so I could duck underneath.

I followed him back through thicket, I knew he was taking his time because I had no trouble keeping up with him.

" Maybe after dinner we could have a driving lesson?"

" Okay. Only after you finish your homework though." I stopped just as we reached the edge of the tree line that extended into the backyard, he stopped too waiting for me.

" What," he asked, " am I not allowed to pretend to help you with your homework anymore?" I felt so horrible, I just had to be an idiot do all my homework. Really, I can come up with the stupidest ideas sometimes.

" No you can," I smiled as sweetly as possible, " I just don't have any today." I walked passed him trying to pass it off as casually as possible.

" You always have homework," he countered catching up to me.

" Not today." I suddenly realized that he wasn't standing next to me.

" You did it on purpose."Everything inside of me cringed as his words washed over me.

" I'm putting your sign back up," I reminded him.

He stared at me a moment before trudging past me. " We are doing it over."

" What?" He opened the door to the house.

" If you want a driving lesson today, we are doing your homework over."

" Driving lesson?" We both turned to see Ellie in the doorway with bright eyes shining.

" You're going to teach Claire how to drive," she asked again, " can I get on that?"

" Both of you?" Quil suddenly lost all of his former confidence, he looked almost scared.

" I don't know if I can handle being in the car with two teenage drivers."

" I'll do it." I spun around to see Embry hopping down off the railing lining the porch. How the heck did I miss him? Had the guy been sitting there the entire time?

" I'll help," he continued, " two against two."

Ellie was practically bouncing with excitement, and if I was being honest, I was bouncing a little too. I looked at Quil waiting for his answer.

" I'm not going to say no," he rolled his eyes as he pointed me into the house.

Ellie and I, both let out squeals of excitement as Embry walked up behind me. I looked back, and got an up close and personal look at his still bare chest. I grabbed his arm as Ellie and Quil walked into the house.

" For our safety," I whispered, " could you please put on a shirt?"